Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LETS SEE YOUR RIGS!

josh_tn

4 hours ago, gregtay said:

My new tow rig for my 23LSV.  I have been towing with my wife's '16 Jeep SRT (same motor, suspension, etc) and loved it so much I decided to pick one up for myself.. just with a 3rd row and bit more room in back and a swap of the nameplate :).  These things are great for towing... more than enough power to tow over the mountains without much effort and big Brembo's and trailer stabilization electronics.  Boating season can't come soon enough!

d1.JPG

d2.JPG

d3.JPG

d4.JPG

I'm not a huge Dodge fan but that is an impressive machine. Really a bargin considering it's performance/features in it's class vs the competition. I love the color combo!  It also gets better MPG's than my 16 Sequioa...although that's not to difficult...but with 475HP and 470 tq...very impressed! Nice rig! 👍

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Cazan said:

I'm not a huge Dodge fan but that is an impressive machine. Really a bargin considering it's performance/features in it's class vs the competition. I love the color combo!  It also gets better MPG's than my 16 Sequioa...although that's not to difficult...but with 475HP and 470 tq...very impressed! Nice rig! 👍

I’m not a Dodge fan either... never thought I’d own one. We have been driving German cars/SUVs for the last 15 years but finally decided to try something and save some money in the process which is my my wife switched from her Q7 to the Jeep SRT last year. This year was my turn and my other choices were pushing 100k or more and the Durango SRT (which you can get for almost $10k off the already low MSRP) was just so much car for the money and had the best 3rd row (two adults fit comfortably and you still have room behind the seats), 8600# towing and the interior was far nicer than I expected and had most of the latest tech stuff. And it is a heck of a lot of fun to drive!

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

I’m not a Dodge fan either... never thought I’d own one. We have been driving German cars/SUVs for the last 15 years but finally decided to try something and save some money in the process which is my my wife switched from her Q7 to the Jeep SRT last year. This year was my turn and my other choices were pushing 100k or more and the Durango SRT (which you can get for almost $10k off the already low MSRP) was just so much car for the money and had the best 3rd row (two adults fit comfortably and you still have room behind the seats), 8600# towing and the interior was far nicer than I expected and had most of the latest tech stuff. And it is a heck of a lot of fun to drive!

Plus it's AWD...around here this time of year that's priceless.  FCA has made impressive upgrades to their interiors over the last couple years.  Never thought the day would come when I'd consider a  Chrysler product but between the  SRT and the looks of the 2019 Ram I'll def give them a look.  Never say never...

Edited by Cazan
  • 1 month later...

This is my new to me 2010 Dodge RAM 2500 HD Laramie which a scored I few weeks ago.  It is now my tow rig.  Will soon sometimes have a camper on the back, along with the boat, as our spring warms up enough to camp and ski.  Just took the truck on a road trip to San Diego and back, and the truck performed great.  Comfortable, nice to drive, held everything we wanted to bring including inflatable paddle boards, beach chairs, the surf boards we rented, (put a DaKine pad on the rear gate to protect the boards, and the truck from any sand), etc.  

NTD.jpg.b0ff518fa5c6e2d53b366fcb66284e63.jpg2010_dodge_ram_2500-pic-5423665500247476203-1024x768.jpg.7436277bfd5657160f18ebf15455e3d5.jpgNTN.jpg.47a1b769d8847a6f5f2570bcdfa940e6.jpgIMG_7028.thumb.jpg.0f030ca6d038c385db060e173d69a2ac.jpg

Oh, and did I mention how much I like the retractable running boards?  :)

PS, a question.  I will be towing my '98 Response LX, which the truck will hardly feel, along with carrying an 8' camper with a foot and a half of overhang.  How many of you others tow like that?  I thought I would get the hitch upgraded to a 2.5 inch hitch then just get a tongue with a ball long enough to extend it a bit.  Also, I guess, I will have to get one that drops the height of the ball a little, as it is several inches taller than as behind my old Suburban.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • Like 3
On 1/31/2018 at 5:51 PM, alpensurf23 said:

Just keeping it simple and letting the scenery do the work.

IMG_7751.jpg

I like that silver on silver look!  Nice scenery too.  Where is that on the Snake??

On 2/4/2018 at 8:55 PM, RCorsa said:

I little Sun shine today so you can really see the triple layer white paint. The torque on this beast is incredible.   Had the GMC logo blacked out too. 

A77E6211-4D77-405B-AF24-67A13BA95FC9.jpeg

B39D5EB7-674C-4381-8584-324D423E1531.jpeg

98C54446-7F46-482D-A6ED-D0D28B9A23E3.jpeg

Beaurtiful rig.  Love the depth of the paint.  Looks like somewhere in Western Wa, yes??

• Like 2

It rides pretty good still.  I put the cognito upper control arms so along with those and the Fox shocks it is pretty good.  I do have them cranked up a bit so can get a little harsh on some bumps, but generally can still drive 20-25 over the wide speed bumps in our neighborhood and floats over them still good.  Dealer couldn't adjust the speedo for the tire size so have the Insight CTS which gives me the correct speedo reading and also gives me more engine readings than regular gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I gave the Yukon a good, solid shake at it, but just ended up being very unhappy with it.  The trany heated up to almost 200 degrees towing a box trailer our church has.  The thing couldn't have weighed 1800lbs.  So, I got a great deal on this gem and got all my money back on the yukon I bought a couple months ago.  I still wish I could find a new SUV that had enough diesel power to suit my needs, but this will do until I feel like I can warrant paying for a duraburb (which is likely never). 

@IXFEI know you were swaying me away from the yukon, but I really wanted to try to make it work.  But I made sure to buy in a way that wouldn't cause me to take a hit on the flip if I didn't like it.  GM supplier pricing helped too.  In the end, it is hard to not have a diesel rig if you've experienced it before.  Enjoyed chatting about the vehicles though!

IMG_4690.JPG

Edited by JeffK
fixed a link

@JeffK, I have seen tranny temps above 220* on my Yukon Denali.  From the research I did, it isn't as detrimental as you would think for the synthetics to get that high.  I didn't believe what I was reading, so I had the fluid changed, and it looked good.

As an aside, did you happen to look at the new Navigator?  10 speed tranny, 450 HP and 510 lb/ft of torque.  

They are too much $ for me to buy new, but I would like to get into a lease return two years from now.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:29 PM, RyanB said:

@JeffK, I have seen tranny temps above 220* on my Yukon Denali.  From the research I did, it isn't as detrimental as you would think for the synthetics to get that high.  I didn't believe what I was reading, so I had the fluid changed, and it looked good.

As an aside, did you happen to look at the new Navigator?  10 speed tranny, 450 HP and 510 lb/ft of torque.  

They are too much $ for me to buy new, but I would like to get into a lease return two years from now.

Ryan - I haven't spent much time looking at the navigators.  A buddy of mine is a through and through ford guy.  We've had great conversations about the brand differences.  I love all of the new things Ford is doing and I think the ecoboost motors are amazing. 

Once you've owned a Chevy for so many years, a Ford just feels uncomfortable in the interior.  For me, I've always been a Chevy guy.  Absolutely no knock on Ford's, but I am just very comfortable with where everything is in the Chevy''s.  They ride differently, sound differently, start differently, etc.  I owned a ford excursion diesel back in 2005 or so.  Loved the performance, but everything else felt out of place for me.  I ended up with buyers remorse and went back.  I know it sounds terribly near sighted, but it is what it is.  I'm afraid I'd spend all that money only to question my purchase.  Plus, with the Indmar service school and dealership days, I'm very comfortable with the vortec platform (I know this one isn't a gasser, but it has always leaned me towards those motors, especially since I still have the shop manuals).

6 hours ago, SCMike said:

After taking delivery of my 23lsv this past weekend, it was VERY apparent my 5.3 Denali was not up to the task of towing it.  Honestly, it was down right scary.  So...

upgraded to tow rig this evening and got a great deal on a left over 2017 F250.  Can’t wait to see how this thing tows!  

Quick questikn @IXFE.  I’ll be towing this weekend and need to pick up a new hitch to match the height of the truck.  Do you know what drop would be best? 

Since I know the rules, here is a pic of the new ride.  Upgrades to come when I get over spending a whole crap ton on a new boat and new truck in the same week.  Haha!

F8034402-985C-4F3F-8D98-8EC750E3F2EC.jpeg

Did they make a 5.3L Denali?  I thought they all were 6.2L's, but ICBW.

ahopkins22LSV
43 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Did they make a 5.3L Denali?  I thought they all were 6.2L's, but ICBW.

think you could get a 1500 Denali with the 5.3, but they are rare. That said, I am surprised to hear that the 5.3 in a 1500 (if that was the tow vehicle) struggled with the new LSV. I towed a 2018 A24 with mine and it handled it great. Was in stop and go city traffic and some highway... but I am in MI and there aren't mountain passes.

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

think you could get a 1500 Denali with the 5.3, but they are rare. That said, I am surprised to hear that the 5.3 in a 1500 (if that was the tow vehicle) struggled with the new LSV. I towed a 2018 A24 with mine and it handled it great. Was in stop and go city traffic and some highway... but I am in MI and there aren't mountain passes.

Yes, mine was a 5.3, should have bought the 6.2.  Anyways, the power was ok, but the boat pushed the truck around a lot.  I have never been nervous towing before, but the 23lsv and 1500 was a bit scary. 

Good to know.  I have only seen them in a 6.2L.  I didn't feel like it was out of control, but I sure hated seeing the transmission temp spike up so much.  I've had a 2001 and 2014 yukon denali.  The transmission went out at 89000 miles on the 2011, so I have been very gun-shy about those transmissions ever since. 

I towed a 25LSV over 7 hours, through the NC Mountains with a 2014 1500 Silverado. Zero issues. Felt 100% great the whole time. So I'm really surprised to hear that someone would have trouble with a 23LSV.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, SCMike said:

After taking delivery of my 23lsv this past weekend, it was VERY apparent my 5.3 Denali was not up to the task of towing it.  Honestly, it was down right scary.  So...

upgraded to tow rig this evening and got a great deal on a left over 2017 F250.  Can’t wait to see how this thing tows!  

Quick questikn @IXFE.  I’ll be towing this weekend and need to pick up a new hitch to match the height of the truck.  Do you know what drop would be best? 

Since I know the rules, here is a pic of the new ride.  Upgrades to come when I get over spending a whole crap ton on a new boat and new truck in the same week.  Haha!

F8034402-985C-4F3F-8D98-8EC750E3F2EC.jpeg

Very nice . . . Congratulations!  Is that the Platinum? 

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Good to know.  I have only seen them in a 6.2L.  I didn't feel like it was out of control, but I sure hated seeing the transmission temp spike up so much.  I've had a 2001 and 2014 yukon denali.  The transmission went out at 89000 miles on the 2011, so I have been very gun-shy about those transmissions ever since. 

Almost all are 6.2l, And don't quote me on this either, but I am not sure the transmission cooler is the same in the 1500 and Yukon. I have never seen my trans temp that high in my 1500.

2 minutes ago, DAI said:

Very nice . . . Congratulations!  Is that the Platinum? 

Thank you!  Yes, it’s a platinum.  I was originally going for a Lariat, but the dealer has been sitting on this one for 7 months and wanted it off the lot 😀

Question for you all - think a vehicle that has a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds is ok to pull a new Malibu 21 VLX?

Your help is appreciated...

Edited by WhiteWaterWeb
Spelling
1 minute ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Almost all are 6.2l, And don't quote me on this either, but I am not sure the transmission cooler is the same in the 1500 and Yukon. I have never seen my trans temp that high in my 1500.

It looked a little small to me just from a cursory glance at it. 

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

The trans temp on mine went all the way up to 225 on my way to Tahoe pulling my 21vlx.  This past weekend, it hit about 210 on a short hill pulling the 23lsv.  That was one of the other reasons I justified the upgrade.  

2 minutes ago, SCMike said:

Thank you!  Yes, it’s a platinum.  I was originally going for a Lariat, but the dealer has been sitting on this one for 7 months and wanted it off the lot 😀

I'm sure it took a lot of arm twisting :biggrin: