Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking Fins

NorCaliBu

How long are the screws? I would think it would have a washer and nut on other side....have you looked at your 2 fins?

They are 1"x ~ 3/8" flat head machine screws. They don't use nuts & washers. If you hit something it will rip the fin off of the bottom without ripping a big hole in the hull. 1" isn't long enough to go through the hull and hold a nut anyway.

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NorCaliBu

• aneal000

• 88Skier

• Vermrider

They are 1"x ~ 3/8" flat head machine screws. They don't use nuts & washers. If you hit something it will rip the fin off of the bottom without ripping a big hole in the hull. 1" isn't long enough to go through the hull and hold a nut anyway.

Well machine screws aren't going to have a lot of bite in the glass so I'm thinking inserts. How are the others attached?

My neighbor with a VLX did hit something, ripped fin out and did yank a hole though I don't know the attachment method of his fins.

Well machine screws aren't going to have a lot of bite in the glass so I'm thinking inserts. How are the others attached?

Can't tell if there are inserts or not. The fins are bolted and glued with some ridiculous adhesive. There are pieces of gelcoat stuck to the fin from the original boat this was on.

My neighbor with a VLX did hit something, ripped fin out and did yank a hole though I don't know the attachment method of his fins.

For whatever reason Malibu through bolts the tracking fins on V-Drives but not on direct drives. I think I like the idea of not through bolting them.

Malibu only through bolted them back in the day, which is good because those bolts used to get loose.

All you need is a silicon rated for continuous underwater duty. No threaded inserts in the hull that I saw but I did remove them when it was snowing and water was dripping on me, so I didn't pay much attention.

Somehow I knew this question was going to come up when I put them in the box.

-Chris

All you need is a silicon rated for continuous underwater duty. No threaded inserts in the hull that I saw but I did remove them when it was snowing and water was dripping on me, so I didn't pay much attention.

It's hard to get good help these days. :Tease3:

seems to me the fins are offset a little from each other as opposed to lined up in a straight line.

Correct. The Response that I checked had the 1st and 3rd lined up about 1/16th off center to one side and the 2nd the same amount off center to the other. I'll be lining mine new fin (will be the back fin) up with the current front fin.

Edited by NorCaliBu

A machine screw will be useless in fiberglass without an insert. If you don't want to epoxy in an insert I would use a sheet metal screw or similar that would be able to bite into the fiberglass. Even then they can strip out if not tightened properly.

A machine screw will be useless in fiberglass without an insert. If you don't want to epoxy in an insert I would use a sheet metal screw or similar that would be able to bite into the fiberglass. Even then they can strip out if not tightened properly.

Think so? You'd be surprised to see how the tracking fins are installed on your boat then. They are threaded into the fiberglass directly with machine threaded bolts, no nuts on the backside. They do that so they will rip out without taking a huge chunk of the hull with it. I had one rip out on my 06.

They are threaded into the fiberglass directly with machine threaded bolts, no nuts on the backside.

So you're saying that there are no inserts, correct? Can anyone confirm this for me?

So you're saying that there are no inserts, correct? Can anyone confirm this for me?

There aren't on newer boats, but older boats I don't know.

Confirmation, I was under the boat yesterday and poked around for you, threaded directly into the fiberglass, w/ plenty of sealant.

Confirmation, I was under the boat yesterday and poked around for you, threaded directly into the fiberglass, w/ plenty of sealant.

Would that sealant be the 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant? Great sealant.

Would that sealant be the 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant?

:no: It's just a regular silicone (rated for constant underwater use). 5200 is a very strong adhesive and would probably rip a hole in the hull it you hit something. :shocked::lol:

Hoping to install the fin this Saturday. I was going to do it this past Sunday but I skied instead. :biggrin:

So I skied this morning then came home and installed the tracking fin. Man I hate drilling holes in my boat. :yes:

Once I got under there and really started measuring things out I noticed that not only are the OE fins not lined up, they're not set perfectly straight either. They are both angled ever so slightly with the trailing edge to starboard. I matched the third fin with the first fin for offset and angle. :thumbup:

Two things that bothered me:

1. I used a depth stop on the drill bit so that I didn't go any deeper than I needed to but apparently that was still deep enough to go all the way through. What bothered me was the amount of water that came out even though my bilge was dry. I apparently had some water trapped between the hull and the bilge liner. Now I have to figure out how to get that water out without drilling holes in my hull. :lol: Just my OCD. :biggrin:
  2. The other thing that bothered me is the SS hardware that I got with the fin took a 3/16 hex key but the two OE fins are both on with phillips head hardware. They don't match!! :Doh:

We're skiing again tomorrow so I'll post if there's a noticeable difference (there better be :yes: ). We'll also be doing side by side comparisons with my buddy's 99 Sporty, skiing one set behind mine then a set behind his. But we won't be doing that until we get in a little better shape. :(

Edited by NorCaliBu

Pictures? Of a tracking fin? Seriously? :unsure: It never even crossed my mind.

I suppose that I could take a picture of it now, with 3 fins, but it'll just look very similar to a Response. :Doh:

It was a really easy mod. Measure, mark, measure again, drink some coffee, measure again, scratch head, measure again, drill 9/32" holes, apply silicone to base of fin, install machine screws with Makita impact driver, clean off excess silicone. Done.

One of the skiers going tomorrow is known for starting his hard pull well outside the wakes which pulls the boat off line so we'll have a good test run tomorrow. If this gives the results that I'm hoping for you other 2 fin Sportster owners should snap up Chris' tracking fins pronto (I think he still has 2 more). I'll let you know tomorrow night.

Yes seriously! I am always amazed at the changes a lot of the guys on this site make to their boats. I have a hard time believing that the fins are not through bolted! The forces that must be put on those fins while turning hard must be quite high.

When I ordered my 2000 . I found out they came with 2 fins, So I called ECFC and he had the factory install 3 when they built my boat.I have pulled skiers 36mph into 35 off.

When I ordered my 2000 . I found out they came with 2 fins, So I called ECFC and he had the factory install 3 when they built my boat. I have pulled skiers 36mph into 35 off.

Good call. :yes:

This mod is easily the best $50 I've spent on the boat, possibly the best $50 that I've ever spent...on anything.

2 fin Sportster owners will understand the "skidded turn" feel the Sporty delivers. It just kinda slides a bit when doing "P" turns. With the third fin...No Sliding. It turns just like the Responses that I ski behind / drive. But the big improvement is holding a straight line in the course. With a 6'4" / 215 pound turn slammer trying to yank it around I only had to counter-steer the tiniest amount. Before adding the 3rd fin I always had to counter-steer ~¼ turn of the wheel when pulling this same skier. I am honestly stunned at the difference it makes.

Any Sportster owners that pull slalom, if you only have 2 tracking fins, PM 99Response and get one of the two he has left. :thumbup:

Good call. :yes:

This mod is easily the best $50 I've spent on the boat, possibly the best $50 that I've ever spent...on anything.

2 fin Sportster owners will understand the "skidded turn" feel the Sporty delivers. It just kinda slides a bit when doing "P" turns. With the third fin...No Sliding. It turns just like the Responses that I ski behind / drive. But the big improvement is holding a straight line in the course. With a 6'4" / 215 pound turn slammer trying to yank it around I only had to counter-steer the tiniest amount. Before adding the 3rd fin I always had to counter-steer ~¼ turn of the wheel when pulling this same skier. I am honestly stunned at the difference it makes.

Any Sportster owners that pull slalom, if you only have 2 tracking fins, PM 99Response and get one of the two he has left. :thumbup:

Michael,

I'm really surprised at the difference it made, but that's great stuff to know for the future. Glad to see that fin went to someone who will appreciate it.

And yes, to anyone who wants them I have two fins left...

-Chris

• 2 months later...

It looks like I have to replace a tracking fin on my Sportster. Only the base of the rear-most fin remains. I guess the casting was really brittle on this fin, and something in the water just sheared it off. I am looking at bakesonline.com at the Malibu Standard fins. Has anyone had any luck with these?

TrackingFinLG.jpg

It looks like I have to replace a tracking fin on my Sportster. Only the base of the rear-most fin remains. I guess the casting was really brittle on this fin, and something in the water just sheared it off. I am looking at bakesonline.com at the Malibu Standard fins. Has anyone had any luck with these?

That is the OE fin. Nothing against Bakes (I've gotten great service and great deals from them) but you might want to contact Chris (99response) to see if he has any fins left. He was parting out a Sunsetter. I got one shipped all the way to Cali for $40 + ~$10 shipping. :thumbup: