Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kill Swich, Do you use it properly?

scottserena

Kill Switch  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Do you connect the kill switch to your person or vest?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

That was like the water version of the idiots you see riding wheelies at 70 down the freeway in traffic. Maybe they should put kill switches on crotch rockets.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• Sixball

• Lance B. Johnson

• luvtheBU

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to get flamed, but.....

What this fellow did had a risk factor.

Doing inverts on a wakeboard has a risk factor.

High performance waterskiing has a risk factor.

Ski jumping has a risk factor.

There are ways to mitigate our risk at the extreme edges.

This fellow mitigated his risk by wearing his vest and using his kill switch lanyard.

I never use my lanyard in my 50 mph plus Spyder outboard.

When I was 16 and living on the Columbia I jumped barge wakes on occasion. Not now 47 years later.

Frankly I never do power turns any more either since I now realize that my passengers can get nausea from extreme "G" forces.

Gentle on the controls, just like flying a plane. Smooth baby, smooth.

But, I will wear my vest when I encounter heavy chop when the Delta or the Columbia catches me by surprise and I've got to get home.

I use my lanyard when I am driving my little 14' aluminum fishing boat. I never use it in the Bu.

Edited by Slalom Frog
I am going to get flamed, but.....

What this fellow did had a risk factor.

Doing inverts on a wakeboard has a risk factor.

High performance waterskiing has a risk factor.

Ski jumping has a risk factor.

There are ways to mitigate our risk at the extreme edges.

This fellow mitigated his risk by wearing his vest and using his kill switch lanyard.

I never use my lanyard in my 50 mph plus Spyder outboard.

When I was 16 and living on the Columbia I jumped barge wakes on occasion. Not now 47 years later.

Frankly I never do power turns any more either since I now realize that my passengers can get nausea from extreme "G" forces.

Gentle on the controls, just like flying a plane. Smooth baby, smooth.

But, I will wear my vest when I encounter heavy chop when the Delta or the Columbia catches me by surprise and I've got to get home.

I agree with what you say but I would rather risk my body than my boat. :)

This video would fit well in my thread "Pet Peeves", Jack A$$ bass boat drivers!

Did anyone watch the whole video and read at the end the list of injuries? One of the injuries listed was a "nearly broken neck and collar bone." How on earth can you diagnose a "nearly broken neck and collar bone?" Does one have to wear "kind of a cast" for a nearly broken bone? I know they were trying to point out the severity of the crash but come on, a bone is either broken or not. Nearly broken bones = walk it off, otherwise I'd be in the ER 2-3 times a month.

This video would fit well in my thread "Pet Peeves", Jack A$$ bass boat drivers!

Did anyone watch the whole video and read at the end the list of injuries? One of the injuries listed was a "nearly broken neck and collar bone." How on earth can you diagnose a "nearly broken neck and collar bone?" Does one have to wear "kind of a cast" for a nearly broken bone? I know they were trying to point out the severity of the crash but come on, a bone is either broken or not. Nearly broken bones = walk it off, otherwise I'd be in the ER 2-3 times a month.

That is like being sort of pregnant.

Yahoo.gif I ran all six @ 35 off @ 36mph last night!!!!!! Well sorta, we don't have a course but. Wow did that make me feel good.

??? That's great, but what does it have to do with lanyards? Dontknow.gif

Crazy looking at that guys boat and what little hull it had in the water at speed.

Friend of mine used to race boats a long time ago. He told me a story once about how he and his buddy would get going in a race and then literally stand on the farthest end of the boat so as to get as much hull out of the water as possible = less drag.

Wow, I've seen a few crashes like this LINK and I would way rather have my 6K# hull deep in the water than skipping along like that. That guy is lucky to be alive.

And really, we've all done something stoopid, he just choose to do his while being filmed - a little mistake on top of his major one.

- never wear the lanyard. :)

Yahoo.gif I ran all six @ 35 off @ 36mph last night!!!!!! Well sorta, we don't have a course but. Wow did that make me feel good.

:unsure::lol: Running the course is a lot easier when there isn't one. Thumbup.gif:lol:

But the real question is...What the heck does that have to do with the subject of this thread? Dontknow.gif

In the video it claims that the "Kill Switch and Life Jacket saved his life" To me it looks like the Life Jacket just prevented a suicide. That guy is an idiot. The Kill Switch had no impact on that crash, did you see the way he was tossed around like a rag doll. And another thing, it claims that the life jacket floated him for 10 min, which is handy, but where was the guy with the camera??

I know that accidents can and will happen even to the "safe" people but that guy was just a crash looking for a place to happen!!

It's a shame that idiot was wearing one. If he wasn't, this could have been a good video for population control.

...or more air for us to breath who actually have a brain.

In the video it claims that the "Kill Switch and Life Jacket saved his life" To me it looks like the Life Jacket just prevented a suicide. That guy is an idiot. The Kill Switch had no impact on that crash, did you see the way he was tossed around like a rag doll. And another thing, it claims that the life jacket floated him for 10 min, which is handy, but where was the guy with the camera??

I know that accidents can and will happen even to the "safe" people but that guy was just a crash looking for a place to happen!!

Exactly...proves the guy with the video camera is just as stupid as his friend.

Edited by areamike
  • 2 weeks later...

Assumed this was sarcasm about the "almost broken neck" or being almost prego?

I always never use it!!! Beer.gif

Is this Keith? Welcome to the BU Crew. I don't use my kill switch either. I used to years ago till I accidentally pulled it at about 2000 RPM and ended up with water in all my cylinders. That's another story though.

Funny you should bring this up, First time I took my BU out it was just me and the wife. She was in the front bow, and having a 1996 ski Sanger for 13 years, those boats don't really turn on a dime. So first time I cranked it hard and BTW I had the seat set to swivle It through me out of the seat, Landed on my butt just barely hanging on to the wheel, My wife didn't have a clue what happend... and to make things even stranger it was the same lake I was thrown out of my dad's beachcraft when I was 16 LONG Story but happy ending lets just say my dog was the only one left in the boat, went around in a tight circle for two hours till it ran out of gas,,, Oh to be young again!!

Funny you should bring this up, First time I took my BU out it was just me and the wife. She was in the front bow, and having a 1996 ski Sanger for 13 years, those boats don't really turn on a dime. So first time I cranked it hard and BTW I had the seat set to swivle It through me out of the seat, Landed on my butt just barely hanging on to the wheel, My wife didn't have a clue what happend... and to make things even stranger it was the same lake I was thrown out of my dad's beachcraft when I was 16 LONG Story but happy ending lets just say my dog was the only one left in the boat, went around in a tight circle for two hours till it ran out of gas,,, Oh to be young again!!

That sounds like a great story! We all have little gems like that hidden away in our memories!

HAHA It ran in circles for that long? That is epic. If it were me, I would catch up to it with another boat and shut it down.

HAHA It ran in circles for that long? That is epic. If it were me, I would catch up to it with another boat and shut it down.

It's a little more common than you'd think.

The rest of the story... It was my freind and i and we were pulling each other on a wrestiling mat. About a 12'x12' curled up in the front like a giant sled. I was starting to do hard turns and as for as i can tell the mat caught an edge and next thing i know i was swimming in the back of the boat.. it was the most helpless feeling i have ever had. You should have seen the face of my freind that was on the mat as he went flying by.. it finally broke the rope and i was able to swim to the mat. fortunatly I had my life jacket on because i had just went before him. at first the boat continued to run full speed in a large circle it would have hit the shore in about 3 more turns.. But Call it what you will someone was looking out for us and it just so happend another boat saw what happend and went along side it knocking it's wake forcing my boat to get smaller and smaller,and so the story ends.. the water patrol was thinking about comming along side but it was to riskey. so they let it go till it stopped...