Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My son, slalom

VinRLX

We have a rule in my house no tubing until you ski. In your case it would be wakeboard. Make it the rule no exceptions.

Same here. They board 'till they can't hold on anymore, I make sure of it. I make suggestions to them to try something different (this time cut hard toeside, or this time when you cross the wake remember to keep that handle at your hip, etc.) to keep them going and going. They are spent when they are done. But, miraculously, they always have energy to jump on that tube. I think the difference is the 2 boys have done just about everything together, and it is non-stop laughter and smiles and talking (yelling) at each other together on the tube. So I think it is just being able to do something with someone right next to you that makes the tubing so much fun. Can't blame them, I'd probably want the same at age 9 or 10.

We have a rule in my house no tubing until you ski. In your case it would be wakeboard. Make it the rule no exceptions.

Same here. They board 'till they can't hold on anymore, I make sure of it. I make suggestions to them to try something different (this time cut hard toeside, or this time when you cross the wake remember to keep that handle at your hip, etc.) to keep them going and going. They are spent when they are done. But, miraculously, they always have energy to jump on that tube. I think the difference is the 2 boys have done just about everything together, and it is non-stop laughter and smiles and talking (yelling) at each other together on the tube. So I think it is just being able to do something with someone right next to you that makes the tubing so much fun. Can't blame them, I'd probably want the same at age 9 or 10.

What's even funner is throwing 2 of them off at the same time....God I laughed so I hard watching them just fly off and spin around when that thing would go skiming across and flip. Every now and then one would stay on while the other would flip off and there would be celebration till the other one got back on the tube and wrestled the other one off. Crazy kids Crazy.gif

What's even funner is throwing 2 of them off at the same time....God I laughed so I hard watching them just fly off and spin around when that thing would go skiming across and flip. Every now and then one would stay on while the other would flip off and there would be celebration till the other one got back on the tube and wrestled the other one off. Crazy kids Crazy.gif

Crazy kids maybe. But you got to agree that aren't too many better sounds in life than kids' laughter.

We have owned a boat since our girls were 2 & 4. We always took a family along with the same aged kids. As they got older (and had to go), our girls would complain about going out on the boat- but would come home and admit they had a great day. They learned to wakeboard young and did pretty well, but only did it for me or to impress (or keep up with) a friend.

Now that they are teens... the oldest has only been once this year at my request for mother's day, the younger only goes when she has a friend over (who wants to go) and they will tube for a little bit- not thrill seeking tubing- just riding and singing!

My usual crew consists of my husband, our friends and thier son -whom I taught to wakeboard when he was 3 and he still loves it (which is a joy for me), and some occasional others. It's usually a nice sunday morning for all of us.

I wish my girls would come and have fun, but I know it will be more fun when they want to come -instead of having to.

Yes, it is a matter of having been raised with the priveledge of boating whenever and living so close to the lake- that it's no big deal to them.

I still get butterflies everytime before we go out. Yahoo.gif

We have owned a boat since our girls were 2 & 4. We always took a family along with the same aged kids. As they got older (and had to go), our girls would complain about going out on the boat- but would come home and admit they had a great day. They learned to wakeboard young and did pretty well, but only did it for me or to impress (or keep up with) a friend.

Now that they are teens... the oldest has only been once this year at my request for mother's day, the younger only goes when she has a friend over (who wants to go) and they will tube for a little bit- not thrill seeking tubing- just riding and singing!

My usual crew consists of my husband, our friends and thier son -whom I taught to wakeboard when he was 3 and he still loves it (which is a joy for me), and some occasional others. It's usually a nice sunday morning for all of us.

I wish my girls would come and have fun, but I know it will be more fun when they want to come -instead of having to.

Yes, it is a matter of having been raised with the priveledge of boating whenever and living so close to the lake- that it's no big deal to them.

You know what's going to give you butterflies and probably make tears well up in your eyes is when those girls get married and have little ones and they bring them home to you and relive there childhood thru their kids exactly the way you raised them. That's when you know you did something right. Everyone who knows the water always comes back to the peaceful easy feeling of being on the water and enjoying your family on it. I look at my boys now with little EJ and they are going to be so good with their kids. It doesn't ever end it evolves into more, even if they don't appear to love it as much as you do right now. They do down deep.

I have started just asking my kids' friends directly and that usually gets one of mine to come along becasue their friends are going. That sneaky or what?

You know what's going to give you butterflies and probably make tears well up in your eyes is when those girls get married and have little ones and they bring them home to you and relive there childhood thru their kids exactly the way you raised them. That's when you know you did something right. Everyone who knows the water always comes back to the peaceful easy feeling of being on the water and enjoying your family on it. I look at my boys now with little EJ and they are going to be so good with their kids. It doesn't ever end it evolves into more, even if they don't appear to love it as much as you do right now. They do down deep.

Ltb- made me well up just thinking about it!

I spent yesterday with my oldest at our 3rd horse show, we had the best time together (as we always do), even though the horse was a stinker this time. We do not take it seriously, it's FUN (and a lotta work), and we meet neat people and see some beautiful (high dollar) horses.

This activiity we share is full circle for me, since I rode as a little girl and had not been around horses since! I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

The other half of the family came to watch for the first time - it was boring for them except when we were riding. I know it's boring to watch, but I am glad they finally came to see what we have been up to.

Hey all, just thought I'd share a few pics of my seven-year-old doing the slalom thing off the boom. Along with it, a bit of history and some questions for you water parents out there.

He rode the skimmer at 3, skied at 4, and has been on the cover of the Overton's Master Catalog. When skiing on trainers, he would have us drive through the boat guides of the course and use them as 'turning' buoys by going to either side of them. He can also kneeboard...but who gives a $hit about that? ;)

Anyway, this season and last he has shown far less interest in getting behind the boat. I always ask him, but never force him to ski or whatever he wants to do back there (even tubing, GASP).

Anyone else experience the 'not interested syndrome'?

Too much time in the boat with adults skiing, so he wants to be done?

Too much tv/video game crap rotting his brain?

Just a kid being seven?

post-30-1251196588_thumb.jpg

My oldest son had a similar situation, but his disinterest was due to a bad fall at about age 5, maybe. Not a terrible fall, but scary for a young one. Anyway, he didn't ski for 2 years until his 5 year old brother started skiing and got up on a slalom deepwater....that's all it took. Now I can't get him off the water.

The only thing I can assure you is that forcing the issue won't work. Other than that it's trial and error. I used to have a rule...not tubing, etc. until they had a set with a "real" sport. In other words, they had to do something challenging before they got the luxury of goofing off. This was motivation enough for my kids because they, like all kids, loved tubing. I also used to tack on a stop at the ice cream store after skiing to make the whole "package" enjoyable.

But yes, my kids both spent lots of time when they were very young on the boat watching dad and his ski club friends so I think there's merit to it becoming boring for them.

Finally, my kids really started coming around as well when their friends were invited with them. Again, made the whole experience fun.

Hang in there and keep looking for ways to make the whole package fun and if skiing is his think he'll come around. There's always that possibility, however, that it's not his thing (gasp!) and we have to be mindful to let them be themselves and not force our passions on them.

I'm surprised I didn't see this one sooner. My 13 y/o daughter had now interest in anything other than the tube 2-3 years ago. She begrudgingly tried and fell in love with the kneeboard. She had pulled on the wakeboard and sat on the platform, and even dropped in the lake, but bailed out for whatever reason. I did not push; hoping she would try again. A mere six weeks ago she asked, we rigged up the little ole board with spare bindings that fit and sure enough she got up first try. Not a good run, but she went after it. Her 17 y/o sister has been skiing since 5, boarding for the last 4. In 6 weeks she has surpassed her sister in the air while using "antique" gear. What was great for me on Friday was having both girls in the boat, one driving (legally in NH) and the other observing for me riding. Didn't have to lean on anyone else to be the 3rd.

Bottom line: remind the young-uns the oportunity is there and show them how much family fun it is. If you're having a good time together, that's the place to start. Keep at it!

I have started just asking my kids' friends directly and that usually gets one of mine to come along becasue their friends are going. That sneaky or what?

And that completes the thread, that is the answer right there. Genius.

Ltb- made me well up just thinking about it!

I spent yesterday with my oldest at our 3rd horse show, we had the best time together (as we always do), even though the horse was a stinker this time. We do not take it seriously, it's FUN (and a lotta work), and we meet neat people and see some beautiful (high dollar) horses.

This activiity we share is full circle for me, since I rode as a little girl and had not been around horses since! I forgot how much I enjoyed it.

The other half of the family came to watch for the first time - it was boring for them except when we were riding. I know it's boring to watch, but I am glad they finally came to see what we have been up to.

Thumbup.gif