Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Water Poll

martho

Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• martinarcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...If you’re real cold use a 3 1/2 yo Elmo slippers…

Thumbup.gif Heading over to Englebright in a few hours...I need to find some Elmo slippers quick. :lol:

The wetsuits are rated to 32 degrees- just about as cold as water gets here in the midwest.

:unsure: Umm, that's about as cold as water gets anywhere... :unsure: ...after that it freezes. :Doh:

:lol:

We have been riding every weekend since january 10th. The coldest day it was snowing during my ride. Average is 40-50 degree air with low 40 water. Drysuits and heaters make all the difference. Adding the heated seats was a bonus.........

• 4 weeks later...

We used to do Tommy's annual Thanksgiving ski at Cherry Creek in Denver. We skied in the snow some years and skied at 65 degrees other years, but the water was always C O L D.

• 2 weeks later...
Went out surfing last weekend - air temp 58 - water temp 43. It was nice - only one other boat on the water. Thumbup.gif

This is the best time of year as far as I'm concerned. It was sunny, no wind, 65-70 degrees all week. Water was chilly at 55-60, but I was able to switch from the 5/4/3 to the 3/2 for the first time.

And, the best part...just like you said. No one else to be seen. Clap.gif

That guy certainly wins. Launching your boat with a tractor with snow chains - that's priceless. I guess he pulls it out and winterizes it again after every winter ride.

Here is what he had to say.....

The lake is Coeur d'Alene in Idaho and is pretty much on the border between WA/ID (give or take 10 miles).

We winterize the boat everytime by draining the block (air actuated draining system is a plus), drain the shower and blow out the lines (unfortunately that was frozen today) and use an Xtreme Bilge Heater (not from Schumacher).

Harry was around for the 2 days of plowing shoveling snow but opted out of the 25 degree day of riding (he is learning... I am not).

The water was 37 where we rode on Jan. 2nd (day of the vid) but today it got down to 33 by the ice sheets.

My bro in law hit two handle pass 3's and a wake roll today on the kneeboard... crazy sucker! The video didn't do his riding justice. My dad had to stop after that crash in the video because he forgot to zip his relief all the way up... he proceeds to get in the boat soaking wet from 37 degree water and film Triple D the kneeboarder... The Big Guy is truly a hero!

I like 'Cake' too... thought I would try and show what a typical winter day really is.

martinarcher

That guy certainly wins. Launching your boat with a tractor with snow chains - that's priceless. I guess he pulls it out and winterizes it again after every winter ride.

The lake is Coeur d'Alene in Idaho and is pretty much on the border between WA/ID (give or take 10 miles).

We winterize the boat everytime by draining the block (air actuated draining system is a plus), drain the shower and blow out the lines (unfortunately that was frozen today) and use an Xtreme Bilge Heater (not from Schumacher).

Harry was around for the 2 days of plowing shoveling snow but opted out of the 25 degree day of riding (he is learning... I am not).

The water was 37 where we rode on Jan. 2nd (day of the vid) but today it got down to 33 by the ice sheets.

My bro in law hit two handle pass 3's and a wake roll today on the kneeboard... crazy sucker! The video didn't do his riding justice. My dad had to stop after that crash in the video because he forgot to zip his relief all the way up... he proceeds to get in the boat soaking wet from 37 degree water and film Triple D the kneeboarder... The Big Guy is truly a hero!

I like 'Cake' too... thought I would try and show what a typical winter day really is.

That rules. Do you guys know what song they are playing in that video while they are riding? I like it. It sounds like 311, but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
martinarcher

Well we got the boat out this weekend. We were on the water Fri, Sat, and Sun and rode till dark on Sunday! Thumbup.gif The water temp was 49 and the air was 85-90 which is unreal for our area in April. No one used a suit since the air was so nice, just trunks and life jackets! Whoo hoo! Clap.gif

• 3 weeks later...

That rules. Do you guys know what song they are playing in that video while they are riding? I like it. It sounds like 311, but I'm not sure.

Thats Ferney for ya. He's still got the itch so bad he rides all winter, even chipping ice & shoveling tons of snow to make it happen.

I live in the same area. The ice on our lake was 13" thick at one point. We used to do that too, but got old & wimpy.... or smart, depending on how you look at it. Got into quads & sleds instead. The winter of 2007/08 was the first winter in 14 yrs that I didn't ride at all. Then last summer, at 42 yrs old with a new boat & a new ski, I had the best year of riding ever. My tricks were higher, cleaner & I stuck more of them than ever before. Even added a few new ones for the first time in a while. This year so far, same thing.... didn't ride for almost 6 months. I've had 2 rides so far, and I bet I'm hitting 80% - 90% of my tricks. Even had some people comment last night that I was looking "pretty rusty" out there.

martinarcher

Thats Ferney for ya. He's still got the itch so bad he rides all winter, even chipping ice & shoveling tons of snow to make it happen.

I live in the same area. The ice on our lake was 13" thick at one point. We used to do that too, but got old & wimpy.... or smart, depending on how you look at it. Got into quads & sleds instead. The winter of 2007/08 was the first winter in 14 yrs that I didn't ride at all. Then last summer, at 42 yrs old with a new boat & a new ski, I had the best year of riding ever. My tricks were higher, cleaner & I stuck more of them than ever before. Even added a few new ones for the first time in a while. This year so far, same thing.... didn't ride for almost 6 months. I've had 2 rides so far, and I bet I'm hitting 80% - 90% of my tricks. Even had some people comment last night that I was looking "pretty rusty" out there.

That's awesome man. Who knew a little time off in the winter could be good for ya!

• 2 months later...