Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Water Poll

martho

Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?

• Yes
    • No

150deg is my bottom for water sports. Maybe 3 or 4 weeks left.

If I need any type of suit other than my board shorts it's time for dirt bikes for a couple of months then snowboarding, Then reverse the cycle.

A different sport for every season works best for me.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• martinarcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some hard core guys up here that ski a section of the Mississippi River that doesn't freeze over all winter. They were featured last year in WaterSki mag.

Air temp = 0 or less

Water temp = 33

Apparently they winterize the boat on the launch ramp for the drive home.

Not for me. But I may go watch this year.

I guess we're spoiled. I prefer water > 80, and air about the same which is all but a few months of the year. Even 150 combined is on my bottom edge. I like 175 or above. :)

Boomer - Spoiled is sugar coating it. Big sissy is more like it! Tease2.gif

On our best days we get to the 150 mark, maybe 160. At 175 I think I would have to go find an air conditioner, too hot outside then.

Two Febs ago I went skiing on a lake that had ice out from every island and penisula. The air temp was something like 50 but the water must have been in the low to mid 30s. Wow what an ice cream headache. Since then I have been given a diving hood. I have yet to ever not be too hot in the diving hood and booties. This year I intend to buy a dry suit. I slide the H2O 12 months a year. There is a perverse pride in being the idiot on the lake on new years day! Crazy.gif

Joe

I voted NO. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to do it.

The water just doesn't get that cold around here.

We went at least once a month last year. I'm sure we'll do that again this year. The water is just too smooth to NOT go in the winter.

We went at least once a month last year. I'm sure we'll do that again this year. The water is just too smooth to NOT go in the winter.

AMEN! The best skiing/wakeboarding is after the kids go back to school and before they get out.

Joe

Yeah...eh..honey...say...would you mind if..... 

My wife is not the issue. It is just a tough day to get people together and be away from their family/responsibilities.

My wife is not the issue. It is just a tough day to get people together and be away from their family/responsibilities.

My family or wife are not issues on Xmas day either- I'd be tough to get away from the hangover after the giant Hughes xmas eve party. That Glug gets to you quick...

My family or wife are not issues on Xmas day either- I'd be tough to get away from the hangover after the giant Hughes xmas eve party. That Glug gets to you quick...

Ahh..extra anti-freeze will only help. :)

Sunset Bob, our friend Dave, and I footed one winter at least once each month so we could claim to have footed all year round. December was no problem. January was pretty cold. February was pretty brutal. There was ice in the marina but not in the river channel. Water temp was just above freezing and air temp was mid 30's.

No way would I go in ice unless I had a dry suit and a bottle of jack.

That would only be once so I can say I did it.

It is just like anything else, once you have the gear it is fine. The people who go in cold water with a shorty are the nutzo peeps!

It is just like anything else, once you have the gear it is fine. The people who go in cold water with a shorty are the nutzo peeps!

When you have to winterize the engine at the boat ramp just to get home.....that is insane! Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

When you have to winterize the engine at the boat ramp just to get home.....that is insane! Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

I just think of it just as a couple more plugs to pull. Usually takes about 10 minutes from water to road. Biggrin.gif