Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold Water Poll

martho

Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ski/foot/board in water below 50F?

• Yes
    • No

Skied this weekend as well low 80's w/ the water in the low 60's, did preform a great roll. Best thing is no ill effects and went on to do my best pass yet, some corners were ugly but got it done nonetheless.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• Malibudude

• NorCaliBu

• martinarcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Skied this weekend as well low 80's w/ the water in the low 60's, did preform a great roll. Best thing is no ill effects and went on to do my best pass yet, some corners were ugly but got it done nonetheless.

Case of beer yet?

Case of beer yet?

Nope truth be told I wasn't trying to improve, rather just keep the conditioning and muscle memory going so I'm not starting so far behind next season. It's not going to happen this year I'm afraid but getting there and much more consistency. I just could resist trying for another buoy on my offside...and made it. Yahoo.gif

We went out on Saturday for the last ride of the season, at least behind my boat, air 49, water 49. It wasn't too terrible until I took a head first plunge on a bad toeside front roll attempt that I overrotated. Anyway, that was an instant ice cream headache. Boat is now sitting in the boat house, winterized, clean and resting until spring :(

We went out on Saturday for the last ride of the season, at least behind my boat, air 49, water 49. It wasn't too terrible until I took a head first plunge on a bad toeside front roll attempt that I overrotated. Anyway, that was an instant ice cream headache. Boat is now sitting in the boat house, winterized, clean and resting until spring :(

Two good reasons to look into using a helmet. ;)

No more ice cream headaches at those temps. And overrotating fronts suck no matter what the temps.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

the fall didn't really hurt, just that the head first plunge into the cold water wasn't fun. I'm not a fan of helmets, yeah I said it...let the rain come down on me now.

I just don't quite understand it unless you're hitting obstacles or in shallow water. The only time I have gotten a concussion was more from my neck whipping than anything. My head didn't impact, i can't be convinced that it would have helped a thing! Last year I wore a neoprene ear/forehead band that helped with the cold but thew me way off when riding and doing tricks. Felt very disconnected somehow

Sorry for the threadjack......

I've been wearing the Protec Ace Wake for about 5 yrs now. My lights were put out twice learning the wake backroll. Both times my buddies pulled me back in the boat because I was blowin bubbles. Since then, I've learned 4 or 5 other inverts & had tons of nasty crashes. I've seen stars a few times, but never had the lights go out again.

That said, I don't care for the ear flaps for the same reasons you mentioned the headband. Something about them covering my ears, I hear more wind roaring in my ears, water gets trapped in there when I crash, and it messes with my balance. Yea, it's all in my head I'm sure. But I'm sure that wearing the lid has saved me from any more (serious) concusions. And it's a lot warmer on my bald head in the cold weather.

QUOTE (Clay @ Nov 5 2007, 05:40 AM) *

...Skied, 'footed and power tubed...

Putting the word "power" in front of it doesn't make it any more manly. No.gif

LOL.gif - - - - Tease2.gif

--------------------

"To know that we know what we know, and to know that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." - Copernicus

lol ROFL.gif:lol:

Just following your lead......guess that's a bad idea.. :)

Lame.gif That's the best you could do? Lame.gif

Apparently your wit is as lame as your skiing. ROFL.gif

j/k Tease2.gif I think I'm a little cranky. :lol:

...Skied, 'footed and power tubed...
Putting the word "power" in front of it doesn't make it any more manly. No.gif

:lol: - - - - Tease2.gif

I have no problem admitting I like tubing. There, I said it. My name is Clay and I'm a tuber!!! Rockon.gif

(Deep down inside I think we are all tubers. Come on... you can do it... admit it... it feels good! Unless you are a total control freak and have issues with letting the driver control your life. Biggrin.gif )

But.... it has to be done right, none of that towing off the transom crap doing circles in the middle of the lake. You need at least 2 tubes, off the tower, doing power turns, double ups, and an expert driver. Done right, it's one hell of a workout and a blast.

Sunset Bob, our friend Dave, and I footed one winter at least once each month so we could claim to have footed all year round. December was no problem. January was pretty cold. February was pretty brutal. There was ice in the marina but not in the river channel. Water temp was just above freezing and air temp was mid 30's.

The photo is of Bob with a brain freeze headache!

Are you sure this isn't a picture of him realizing what he's wearing? ? ?

Well, he does kind of look like a pink and black condom that the top popped off of.

LOL

Cry.gif You've all hurt my feelings...............NOT!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just got back form the Polar Bear Ski, air temp 22 and water 43 according to the boat thermometer. You could here the boat breaking through the ice leaving and coming back to the dock Crazy.gif

After getting back to shore it took 5 minutes for the ice to melt off my hair. My wife did win a bucket full of cleaning supplies that I'm sure I'm getting for Christmas. Yahoo.gif

I think I'm done skiing in Michigan for this year.

Edited by onamission

Last year we skied every month up until February of this year. The lake froze all month. March 1st it was about 45 degrees so my buddy decided we needed to go skiing. However, the lake was frozen all along the shore still and the only open water was the channel that runs down one side (man made lake/river dammed up).

Unfortunately, his boat is in a boat garage about 50 feet from open water. He decides he is going to try and cut through the ice adn make a path to open water. He gets out his trusty chainsaw and begins sawing. About 2 hours or so later, he had a 50ft long 12 foot wide path carved out through 14 inch thick ice...He pulled the boat out and we skied. Unfortunately, we missed February by one day...NUTS.

THAT'S dedication. :)

Or something else.... lol

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif:plus1:

Needless to say, he borders on the little bit crazy side.

We do our Annual Skiing Santa this year again tomorrow. Supposed to be high of 32 and maybe some light freezing rain drizzle...I'm PUMPED, because I'll be the guy driving the boat!

Here's the footage from Last year's Skiing Santa. The local News Station came out and taped it, then showed it on the two weekend news programs...it was a great time.

Skiing Santa

In the past I have, but these days there's no need to... It reached 80 yesterday, its going to get up to 83 today!! Doesn't really feel like December 10th! But the water is glass Thumbup.gif

• 1 month later...

I think we should do this in Chicago. Skiing Santa always shows up on the Potomac. Why not have him ski on the chain o lakes?

Could be a fun tradition....

This year we had one of the cooler years for our polor bear challenge. 30 deg water and 22 deg air with 15 mph wind. Weatherman said that it was 12 with the wind chill. We had 30 boarders/skiers and 135 swimmers. All this for make-a-wish.

Good time had by all.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

• 1 month later...