Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I feel like a jerk but dang...

luvtheBU

Your son, his son, doesn't matter. I will use the boat Max as an excuse to keep out a boy or girlfriend I do not like any time I can. All is fair in parenting, since we get blamed for their psychosis when they grow up anyway. Might as well give them something to blame their life on. Kick her out until she grovels to you and agrees to do your bidding.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvtheBU

• Baddog

• WakeGirl

• Michigan boarder

My hubby thinks I am being mean, not so it just sucks to be packed

My question is how many people usually go with you when you go out and am I being unreasonable?

Easy fix...

6 people or less you take them out.

7 people or more hubby get to be captain for the day and you get to stay home and read a book.

After one trip he'll be seeing it your way.

Being unreasonable is being a person who EXPECTS to be taken out EVERY time even they do not own the boat, do not fuel the boat, do not maintain the boat, do not clean the boat, do not pack up before or after the boat is used but even so they EXPECT to be taken out EVERY time. We kept it simple with family and friends when we first got a boat. First day it's free, come share and enjoy the day with us with no need to pay or physically assist in any way.

If you liked it, you treated our boat and equipment with respect and we liked your company in that environment we'll invite you back but expect to pay your share of fuel used that day (or trade for an activity they have equipment for which they can share with us) and expect to help with pack up afterwards. Pretty simple and it works. Some people have had a second day on us but they haven't had a third and they won't. I hate being at the lake 45mins after others have gone still packing up coolers, chairs, skis, boards, ropes etc.

Luv it seems that you have a wide spread in the ages of your children and a big family. That in its self presents problems. Just remember when the day is done that your family was together. That says a lot in this day and time. Believe me when I say that there will come a day when you would welcome all the kaos and be able to go to the river with them. They grow up entirely too fast. They will remember these times for the rest of their lives.

I know that you said that you didn't buy a deck boat or a pontoon but that maybe that is what you have to go to accommodate your family. I've been through 4 boats in seven years with two of them being in one year less than 4 months apart. They all except for the last one was to accommodate the wife and kids.

I know that you are just venting but years from now you'll look back and be glad you did it!

Luv it seems that you have a wide spread in the ages of your children and a big family. That in its self presents problems. Just remember when the day is done that your family was together. That says a lot in this day and time. Believe me when I say that there will come a day when you would welcome all the kaos and be able to go to the river with them. They grow up entirely too fast. They will remember these times for the rest of their lives.

I know that you said that you didn't buy a deck boat or a pontoon but that maybe that is what you have to go to accommodate your family. I've been through 4 boats in seven years with two of them being in one year less than 4 months apart. They all except for the last one was to accommodate the wife and kids.

I know that you are just venting but years from now you'll look back and be glad you did it!

Nope no deckboats in my future, I will be the 80 yr old granny out on the water towing her grandkids in a BU. I might buy a deckboat as a second some day when I'm rich but my personal favorite will allways be a skiboat, I've had fishing boats and a big old I/O family boat but I am in love with the way skiboats handle and the way they sound. If future does dictate deckboat it'll be a buckpiece to accomodate excessive company and hubby can captain that ship.

You might wonder why I am back online, I'm so upset I put my foot down and everyone complied I gassed the boat up got to the river at 6:30 went to start it up and rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr nothing I cannot get it to turn over, I went to work grabbed our jump box came back to river and rrr rrr rrrr rrrr nothing, ugggg what happened I have enough juice to turn starter she just won't fire. What did I do wrong help?

Lanyard?

Hmmm this boat doesn't have a visible lanyard, I'm sure it had to at one time, but there is no clip safety switch, where would I look?

mine is tucked slightly under the side panel, a little forward of where the throttle is mounted. without the lanyard hooked to it, it is really hard to see. you might have the switch and just the clip on it, no lanyard.

Lanyard?

Hmmm this boat doesn't have a visible lanyard, I'm sure it had to at one time, but there is no clip safety switch, where would I look?

Echelon has no Lanyard i know of...Mine Doesn't. I've had days (if my boat sits for more than a couple days) where i have to crank the boat 3 or 4 times and the last time i just get mad and hold it in the start position for 30 seconds it goes "chuggggggg chuggggggggg rrrrrrrr rrrrrr chuggggggggg VROOOOOOOOM" you have the 454 EFI right? try some injector cleaner my boats been starting better lately (my Echelon has the 350EFI)

I love my Echelon and Love the smooth clean wake it throws but theres a thing or 2 to be said about an 09 VTX that starts 1st time Every Time.... when you bringing your whole family to visit MI and make the huby go for a ride on the VTX? we could take the Echelon AND VTX out :-) I call dibs on the captains chair on the VTX tho....

mine is tucked slightly under the side panel, a little forward of where the throttle is mounted. without the lanyard hooked to it, it is really hard to see. you might have the switch and just the clip on it, no lanyard.

I'm gonna go look right now I'll be right back. Thanks

I didn't see anything hooked to the throttle arm or the neutral bar and there was nothing on the floor.

Lanyard?

Echelon has no Lanyard i know of...Mine Doesn't. I've had days (if my boat sits for more than a couple days) where i have to crank the boat 3 or 4 times and the last time i just get mad and hold it in the start position for 30 seconds it goes "chuggggggg chuggggggggg rrrrrrrr rrrrrr chuggggggggg VROOOOOOOOM" you have the 454 EFI right? try some injector cleaner my boats been starting better lately (my Echelon has the 350EFI)

I love my Echelon and Love the smooth clean wake it throws but theres a thing or 2 to be said about an 09 VTX that starts 1st time Every Time.... when you bringing your whole family to visit MI and make the huby go for a ride on the VTX? we could take the Echelon AND VTX out :-) I call dibs on the captains chair on the VTX tho....

That would be sooo sweet, I know that if I got him together with a Malibu family and he really got to see what this is all about he might just be hooked, but he is that big old wise fish that sits and sits and sits, damn it took me 6 yrs to convince him on the little Echelon, and he tried to bait me with a itty bitty jetboat that was like two grand, I took the bait and pouted and outright thru a hissy girly fit and finally won score one for the girls, sometimes tears work ha ha ha, not really, I just finally said we need a boat to complete our family, plus EJ cannot get to two without one. An I would not even feel right in your Captains chair, I'd probably pass out from shear excitement, I don't dare go to boat shows, that's like giving crack to a crack addict...not a good idea!!!! I'd get into big trouble there and probably windup in divorce court.

Lanyard?

That would be sooo sweet, I know that if I got him together with a Malibu family and he really got to see what this is all about he might just be hooked, but he is that big old wise fish that sits and sits and sits, damn it took me 6 yrs to convince him on the little Echelon, and he tried to bait me with a itty bitty jetboat that was like two grand, I took the bait and pouted and outright thru a hissy girly fit and finally won score one for the girls, sometimes tears work ha ha ha, not really, I just finally said we need a boat to complete our family, plus EJ cannot get to two without one. An I would not even feel right in your Captains chair, I'd probably pass out from shear excitement, I don't dare go to boat shows, that's like giving crack to a crack addict...not a good idea!!!! I'd get into big trouble there and probably windup in divorce court.

how old are the kids again? bet they'd like the chance to play behind a monster sized wake. :-) although i dont yet own a wakeboard or surf board. lol

One thing that I would suggest....if your kids like this so much, involve them in the preparation when you go out & the care of the boat. Have them help you load it, unload it, prepare food for the day, detail it, wipe it down, etc etc etc. Teach them maintenance - oil & tranny fluid changes, waxing & interior care. Our boys know the drill & that they'll get thumped if they don't help out. The payoff for them is that they get to learn how to drive & in a few years will be pulling our butts all over the lake. They don't get to do that if they don't put the time in, period. They also know how much work & energy goes into a day at the lake, so it's not taken lightly. Generally this encourages them to encourage their friends to help out as well, it's the opposite of a vicious cycle. :)

Right on. Plus1.gif

martinarcher

Great thread and great advice. Thumbup.gif

Our Skier is about the same size as your Echelon. We are hardly ever at the lake with less than 5 and usually the boat is full to capacity with 6 as well as two 500lb sacs on either side of the motor. Sometimes when we have the larger friends out I wish we had the open bow like your boat. It is crowded, but no one minds and we all have fun.

My wife is the "I don't want to get wet" person. It bugs me big time that she doesn't ever get wet (she has swam once this season and we have had the boat out about 30-35 times), but she will drive if needed and usually enjoys watching us go big and wipe out. I'm working on a wakeboard set-up for her that will hopefully spark her interest to learn. Thumbup.gif I think she's scared of failing at something. She is a total perfectionist and isn't one to just try something new and not worry about looking a little dumb while learning (like me). I hope with lots of encouragement she will want to give it a go.

Right on with the comment about Bu's beign for water sports and not riding! Everyone in the water....NOW!!! Clap.gif

Well my hubby hasn't tried it yet either and the boys always give him crap, I tell the boys he can tap dance on the hull if he wants too, we are paying for and taking care of her.

Lanyard?

how old are the kids again? bet they'd like the chance to play behind a monster sized wake. :-) although i dont yet own a wakeboard or surf board. lol

EJ is 14 months, Joe and Devin are 14 Justin is 16, Mike is 18 and doesn't live with me so he just visits. We have a wakeboard that they don't like it has 4 fins instead of 2, they also don't like the boots on it, I can't remember what it is but some wakeboarding dude has his name attached to it. They want a tube I said we are getting a slalom ski first. I miss that and I miss what it does to your touche, legs and arms, wakeboarding is fun and I'm sure it will be funner when I catch some air but I am definetly getting my ski back.

We are breaking the cga pfd's allready, but we are on the river and they aren't as big of sticklers here. Headcounts the day before are awesome but my boys always try to weasle one in hours before we leave, like they are doing right now. I got 2 of them texting me as we speak trying to throw a 2nd friend in the mix for this evenings boating. They are relentless little buggars.

NO means NO! Stick to it. And is all right to use: "because I said so!" as the only reason. Hang tough.

martinarcher
according to this (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=tutorials&article=68) the capacity is 7.

girl friend is history.

darn.

Alternatively, the girlfriend COULD be better utilized at home babysitting the baby and then she would not have to worry about getting wet. Puked on maybe, but is that considered wet??

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

I know you want/need more space for the pack 'O kids, but I sense you are basically a skiing chick at heart and you have the perfect boat for that. However, to complicate the OT here, to do the skiing justice you really only want 3 people total and maybe 2 if you can safely get away with it.

Perhaps, you could bring the whole crew to the ramp but leave most of them in the shade while you go out first and get your skiing jones taken care of, then pick up the horde and enjoy as well as you can.

One of my mantras is: "If it seems like it is too hard, you are doing something wrong." You could amend that to say: "If it seems like it's not as much fun as you expect it to be, you have too many people for the boat."

I say load it up to the max and head for the closest place to make everyone get off the boat and have fun on the bank. Unload the cooler and everyones stuff except for a towel. Then say the first 4 in the boat that want to get wet and go board or ski.... gets to go!

If you have more than that just say "your on the next trip... we'll be right back"

according to this (http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?autocom=tutorials&article=68) the capacity is 7.

girl friend is history.

darn.

Alternatively, the girlfriend COULD be better utilized at home babysitting the baby and then she would not have to worry about getting wet. Puked on maybe, but is that considered wet??

No, EJ goes with us, he is my goodluck boy. Lastnight he didn't go and now my boat won't start. Cry.gif Plus he really is no problem on the boat he likes to play in the water.

I say load it up to the max and head for the closest place to make everyone get off the boat and have fun on the bank. Unload the cooler and everyones stuff except for a towel. Then say the first 4 in the boat that want to get wet and go board or ski.... gets to go!

If you have more than that just say "your on the next trip... we'll be right back"

. . .and then, on the last trip out for the day from that uncharted island where everyone got off, you COULD accidently forget to pick up the GF. Food for thought . . . .

Edited by Baddog