Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone invested in a Boatpix shot of your boat?

malibu_flyer

Boatpix pictures worth the price?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. 250$ for one picture, is this fair

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the picture, quality
  2. 2. Have You been buzzed

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you purchased a Boatpix shot?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, returned proofs, none worth keeping

ok we have 2 people say they were only about 30 feet off the water while taking pics. How can that even look natural, towels would be flying everywhere, girls hair would look like they stuck their finger in a light socket, and the water around the boat would make it look like they were in the middle of a tornado. I would also like to see one of these pics!!

ok we have 2 people say they were only about 30 feet off the water while taking pics. How can that even look natural, towels would be flying everywhere, girls hair would look like they stuck their finger in a light socket, and the water around the boat would make it look like they were in the middle of a tornado. I would also like to see one of these pics!!

Aren't the malibu photoshoot pics like these? At least the ones at speed are.

Rotor wash would only produce a light breeze when far enough back.

They buzzed my boat a couple of weeks ago at lake anna. They were maybe 30ft off the water.

I caught that same buzz. Just not as intense. :)

$250 for a picture is crazy...but then again people drop a grand on senior pictures and way more on weddings...

JSP,

What did you drop on your wedding photos?

Not sure, but I know it was a lot! Crazy.gif

the cost of wedding photo's weighed against the number of times those pics are looked at once you are married, is outrageous. Not saying the photographer isn't worth the money but as a consumer it is not a great investment.

Overpriced? Absolutely! But we have lots of different wedding photos up around our house and my wife used a bunch when she scrap booked our first year of marriage so they do get looked at/used with us.

The ones that IMO are more of a joke are senior pictures! My mom went crazy with all of us kids photos. She probably dropped a grand or more on each of us kids and I couldn't even tell you where those photos are at. I wasted a whole day driving around with some weirdo photographer who made me do all the typical poses. Stand in a wheat field, up against an old barn, lean on a brick wall, etc...I would much rather have had her just give me the money and let me waste it on crap....but I'm not bitter Whistling.gif

Is she still scrap booking your on-going marriage or has she already decided it is easier just to scrap you?

Hasn't done it in a while, but with the new pup she is gearing up with all sorts of dog stickers and is at costco getting photos every week Crazy.gif

Is she still scrap booking your on-going marriage or has she already decided it is easier just to scrap you?

Hasn't done it in a while, but with the new pup she is gearing up with all sorts of dog stickers and is at costco getting photos every week Crazy.gif

Sounds like our wives would get along pretty well, mine is a picture freak!!!!!!!!!! We didn't even need to paint the walls in our house, they're covered with frames. We have a scrap book of our cats, 2 of our wedding (I'm embarrassed to say how much she spent on the photographer and flowers) at least 4 of friends, and 2 of our little guy all ready and he's only 13 months old. And these things aren't thrown together in a day or two. They have hundreds of pics and are 3-5 inches thick!!

Ranting.gif over.

Edited by nemire12

Fortunatly, at Lake Powell we have nice cliffs of every size and angle that allow these types of shots for free!!! We just kick out one of the visitors on the boat to climb up a bit and photgraph the family having fun, landing a back roll or surfing. BoatPix ain't got nothin on us but price and grammer.

I've seen some great photos of larger boats and sailboats. With a full crew it's a cool photo. I've been buzzed numerous times in my 31 Tiara and last week I finally sent $25 for some proofs. I would like of good photo of the family but I'll admit I was apprehensive on the price. Not many trees or cliffs to shoot from on the ocean in South Florida. On the ski boat, I would probably skip the photo or find another angle. I think it looked deceptively low but I would say the helicopter was never below 200 feet.

Edited by srock

Flight rules "laws" are the same for all states, It is federal law that applys.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(B) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

© Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (B) or © of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Here is the "gotcha"

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

(B) Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

ANOTHER INTERESTING TIDBIT.. perhaps they are flying under the other traffic (if you are close to an airport.)

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

<snip>

(2) Each pilot of a helicopter or a powered parachute must avoid the flow of fixed-wing aircraft.

The guys I have seen have been more than 500 feet away and I have never seen anything I would consider putting people at risk. I also like watching them zip around.