Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another "Bad Day" Story

Ndawg12

Sorry to hear of your experience. As others have said, at least no one got hurt, just your ego a bit. We had a similar experience at Lake of the Ozarks a few years back that really made me respect, as well as fear the wakes that come off the big cruisers. We were putzing along in the main channel of the Gravois arm in the VLX just admiring the other boats and nice houses and such when I see a 45-50' cruiser on my right side pasiing me and going about 3 mph faster than me. He was a good 75-80' away from me so I was kind of half admiring his boat and half paying attention to where I was going. About the time I saw the back of his boat my son tapped me on the shoulder and pointed behind me. I swear that wave was at least 4' taller that our sundeck and closing fast. I goosed it and was able to outrun the wave but to this day I cringe when I think what could have been. I stayed out the middle of the channels after that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• WakeGirl

• MalibuNation

• aaudii5150

Good thing everyone was OK, it really could have been worse if one of the kids had fallen out of the boat. I would call that a lesson and feel blessed :)

Sorry to hear of your experience. As others have said, at least no one got hurt, just your ego a bit. We had a similar experience at Lake of the Ozarks a few years back that really made me respect, as well as fear the wakes that come off the big cruisers. We were putzing along in the main channel of the Gravois arm in the VLX just admiring the other boats and nice houses and such when I see a 45-50' cruiser on my right side pasiing me and going about 3 mph faster than me. He was a good 75-80' away from me so I was kind of half admiring his boat and half paying attention to where I was going. About the time I saw the back of his boat my son tapped me on the shoulder and pointed behind me. I swear that wave was at least 4' taller that our sundeck and closing fast. I goosed it and was able to outrun the wave but to this day I cringe when I think what could have been. I stayed out the middle of the channels after that.

That's about exactly what we were doing. Our lake is lined with mulit-million dollar homes and we giving the other couple some what of a tour.

Yes, lesson learned, stay out of the main channel especially during peak times.

Yup, had that happen as soon as I finished my ballast install. I added one of these:

12V 1" Solenoid Valve

to my ski locker to prevent that. As a matter of fact. I don't even need the fill pump on that ski locker if I'm sitting at rest. Though filling while on plane requires a pump.

Ski Locker Valves and Pumps

Sorry to hear about the rollers. Happened to me to a lesser extent this weekend. I did manage to turn around, drop my jaw, turn on the engine, yell at folks to hang on, and get turned into the wave. I just didn't get enough bow rise. :( First hit was okay second one was broken, but 80% of it still showered us all and we got a good 6" in the boat. Revenge was sweet because we just surfed by them later and I notice they weren't paying attention. They got wet. Whistling.gif

Clap.gif

Man that is no good for sure.

Alot of talk about the tank filling, i have never had this happen on it own but have heard of it. With the amount of water you say came onboard the tank being empty would not have made much of a diff. We fill ours when riding across the lake for a better ride.

Plus1.gif

I fill mine as well for bombing across the lake. Sometimes just the sack under the bow filler cushion.

Sorry about your bad day. At least ya'll made it home.

I had something similar happen in my old colbalt, our friends daughter (then 9) broke her jaw while sitting in the bow and hitting really bad 'chop'.

Sad thing is, is that part of our lake (Travis) is ALWAYS like a washing machine on the weekends, we avoid it whenever possible.

I hope the kids recover okay and wont be afraid to go out again, it will be a story they will always remember.

Sorry about your bad day. At least ya'll made it home.

I had something similar happen in my old colbalt, our friends daughter (then 9) broke her jaw while sitting in the bow and hitting really bad 'chop'.

Sad thing is, is that part of our lake (Travis) is ALWAYS like a washing machine on the weekends, we avoid it whenever possible.

I hope the kids recover okay and wont be afraid to go out again, it will be a story they will always remember.

I meant 'good' as in eventful.

How big of a wake did the 40ft. boat put out? Was it a lot bigger then a roller from a loaded surf boat? Was there anyway to avoid crossing it's wake (turn the boat the other direction)? The biggest wakes on the waterways around here come from our boat or another one that is surfing, so I just can't imagine the size of wake that make your bow go under 3 times and put 15" of water in the boat. I would have been preparing to grab the car keys and jump overboard!

Not to sound totally stupid - but would the boat really sink? Capsize possibly - but I thought the Malibu design/construction allowed them to stay afloat (read: not go to the bottom) even if completely full of water. I know it sounds like a Boston Whaler ad. Does their NMMA rating address this? Dontknow.gif

Nemire12,

With your location being Charlotte, NC where you at Lake Norman when this happened? I live in Greensboro and have always wanted to go to Lake Norman but I've been scared of that situation with the larger boats. I go to Belews Creek Lake and the biggest boats we have there is about thirty feet.

I have a few questions about your situation for you and the group. Can our boats handle the wake you encountered? If so what is the proper way to do it? If not how do you avoid it?

How big of a wake did the 40ft. boat put out? Was it a lot bigger then a roller from a loaded surf boat? Was there anyway to avoid crossing it's wake (turn the boat the other direction)? The biggest wakes on the waterways around here come from our boat or another one that is surfing, so I just can't imagine the size of wake that make your bow go under 3 times and put 15" of water in the boat. I would have been preparing to grab the car keys and jump overboard!

Not to sound totally stupid - but would the boat really sink? Capsize possibly - but I thought the Malibu design/construction allowed them to stay afloat (read: not go to the bottom) even if completely full of water. I know it sounds like a Boston Whaler ad. Does their NMMA rating address this? Dontknow.gif

Good question. I thought something was mandated years back that all boats had to float (not sink to the bottom).

Nemire12,

With your location being Charlotte, NC where you at Lake Norman when this happened? I live in Greensboro and have always wanted to go to Lake Norman but I've been scared of that situation with the larger boats. I go to Belews Creek Lake and the biggest boats we have there is about thirty feet.

I have a few questions about your situation for you and the group. Can our boats handle the wake you encountered? If so what is the proper way to do it? If not how do you avoid it?

Right now, today, I would tell you to stay where you're at.

It really is a beautiful lake, and big, but its not the ocean!! There are tons of big boats out there. That was the first time I felt unsafe. I think our boats can handle it, just don't get caught off guard, especially in the main channel!! Either way, it will beat you up even if you are careful and do everything right.

Good question. I thought something was mandated years back that all boats had to float (not sink to the bottom).

I believe your right. It won't sink to the bottom. So you will have something to hold on to rather than swimming. But for all intents & purposes, if it sinks to the waterline, I hope the insurance company takes it away because it's toast.

MalibuNation
Nemire12,

Right now, today, I would tell you to stay where you're at.

It really is a beautiful lake, and big, but its not the ocean!! There are tons of big boats out there. That was the first time I felt unsafe. I think our boats can handle it, just don't get caught off guard, especially in the main channel!! Either way, it will beat you up even if you are careful and do everything right.

I go to Lake Of The Ozarks a lot ... lots of big boats there too and very developed.

Edit: I'm going to have to compare LOTO to LN, I lived in Asheville in the 60s and went to Lake James a lot ... at that time it mainly was fishing lake.

Edited by MalibuNation

Sorry about the bad day! It's SHOCKING when all that water comes in.....

If you have that much water in the boat, immediately get the noise straight up in the air and kick all pumps on to drain...

Did something very similar late Fri night, it was 100% my fault. Stopped to empty the tanks and the bags, kick all the pump to what I thought was drain. My partner and his girl friend were sitting in the bow, came off plain to come into the launch and all of a sudden two big one up and over the bow..... Whistling.gif Turned out the whole time I was sitting there "draining" I was filling them.... opps.....

Get yourself a big and and put it in the boat. Pull all the seats open and take the bow cousins out other wise it will STINK next time out.....

If you have that much water in the boat, immediately get the noise straight up in the air and kick all pumps on to drain...

15" of water in the boat & you wouldn't be concerned about hydro-locking the engine? I don't know about your boat, but if I had 15" of water in mine, my amps would be in the water, the engine would be 1/2 under, the sub would be 1/2 under, the water would be over every seat bottom, etc. I think I'd cut the engine IMMEDIATELY in hopes that the intake would not suck any water into the engine.

Definitely work on drying that baby out. ServPro has fans for rent that will draw all the moisture out. Or just get every fan you can find, buy 5 or 6 of those Dry-z-air dehumidifiers, shop vac all the water from everywhere, including under the seats & engine cover.

15" of water in the boat & you wouldn't be concerned about hydro-locking the engine? I don't know about your boat, but if I had 15" of water in mine, my amps would be in the water, the engine would be 1/2 under, the sub would be 1/2 under, the water would be over every seat bottom, etc. I think I'd cut the engine IMMEDIATELY in hopes that the intake would not suck any water into the engine.

Definitely work on drying that baby out. ServPro has fans for rent that will draw all the moisture out. Or just get every fan you can find, buy 5 or 6 of those Dry-z-air dehumidifiers, shop vac all the water from everywhere, including under the seats & engine cover.

I've never had that much water in the boat but I'd want the noise as far out of the water as possible!

FYI run the thing on plain when ever in your in rought water. When I'm not on plain I always take the wake broad side or tell everyone to hold on and pin it....

Just my .02

That's about exactly what we were doing. Our lake is lined with mulit-million dollar homes and we giving the other couple some what of a tour.

Yes, lesson learned, stay out of the main channel especially during peak times.

Lake Norman is too busy from what I hear...I have been told Wylie is better

I've never had that much water in the boat but I'd want the noise as far out of the water as possible!

FYI run the thing on plain when ever in your in rought water. When I'm not on plain I always take the wake broad side or tell everyone to hold on and pin it....

Just my .02

I run 18ish to keep the bow high, but rarely see any "big" boats.

I know you said it was a bad day but nobody was hurt, there was no damage, and a big learning lesson so I'd say it was a good day! I love learning lessons when they are free!

I almost always try to take wakes about 5-10 degrees off of parallel. I have never had to deal with a 4 footer though. Do you think a parallel course would have survivied that with very little or no water in the boat?

Lake Norman is too busy from what I hear...I have been told Wylie is better

Yeah it's ridiculously busy, but here's my dilemma, Lake Norman is a "wine and cheese lake" and Lake Wylie is a "Budweiser Lake", get it? I'm more of a Budweiser kind of guy but Lake Norman is about a half hour closer, not to mention the wife is more of a "wine and cheese" girl.

yeah, I'm not sure about that advice either, that's the only part I don't regret, how quickly I got it drained out. Luckily it remained calm for us to idle into a cove. That kept the water level...level Crazy.gif and at the bilge pump. Putting the nose up in the air after that seems like the last thing you would want to do, then you'll have 3 feet of water just in the engine compartment!!!

I know you said it was a bad day but nobody was hurt, there was no damage, and a big learning lesson so I'd say it was a good day! I love learning lessons when they are free!

That remains to be seen until I take her out again....this weekend!!! I'm over it now, starting to get the itch again, it's only Tuesday!!!