Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to buy used malibu

Slayer

In your price range a '98-'99 Resonse or '99 SLXI would be right in the 16k ball park and worth the wait. The SLXI would a better choice for crusing and very close for a slalom wake. Just be patient and the deals will come.

In your price range a '98-'99 Resonse or '99 SLXI would be right in the 16k ball park and worth the wait. The SLXI would a better choice for crusing and very close for a slalom wake. Just be patient and the deals will come.

I'll be waiting for the right deal for sure..........

Thanks to all of you BTW for offering thoughts and opinions.

craiglist: Michigan, Detroit, Boats, Malibu

http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/1244874805.html

Out of your price range but a screaming buy on a 2004 Response LXI. (best boat in their lineup IMHO)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/1217253120.html

I would seriusly look at this LX. Nice ones (LX's) are kind of hard to find. I had a 2007 echelon closed bow and "LOVED" it. Great boats!!

The Echelon is a great boat, in the open bow variation it does offer more room in the bow compared to a Response. One significant difference between the Response and the Echelon is the walk through design v. walk over design for access to bow seats. The Echelon / Response boats riding on the SV23 hull have a significantly better wake than the MC 205 you commented on (I have skiied and footed behind both).

If you are somewhat serious and concerned about the ski wake and perhaps barefoot wake, I personally would go the Echelon / Response route. The Sunsetter will be much more of a compromise ski and barefoot wake.

Good Luck.

I have been searching boats for the last several months. I have owned pontoons and I/O's in the past but now am looking to an inboard skier and have been looking at MC PS 205 and Malibu......

Found a few decent deals on mid to late 90's Response (96 to be specific) and Echelon (95 to be specific). The boat will likely be used mostly for skiing and cruising the lake on the weekend. I'm interested to hear recommendations based on the intended use from all of you experienced Malibu Owners. Also, I would be interested to hear what to watch for when looking at older boats like this.

Thanks for your time in advance.

What part of SE MI are you from? What lake will you be going to in the area?

I was from Ohio and still visit each year. Devils, Round, Posey mostly.

I have a '95 Sunsetter. I is a good all around use boat. We use ballast and the wedge for boarding and the wake is not bad for skiing either. I usually take the first lengt off (10' I think) and the wake is very easy to fly across. I would go with a little newer one that has fuel injection. If a carbed boat sits, it seems to take longer to get started because the fuel evaps. But that could be because I am out here in the desert at 100+ degrees! I have had both open and closed bow. The open bow is a must IMO. Open bow, tower, all adds up to an overall solid ski/board fun boat. IMO!

I have been searching boats for the last several months. I have owned pontoons and I/O's in the past but now am looking to an inboard skier and have been looking at MC PS 205 and Malibu......

Found a few decent deals on mid to late 90's Response (96 to be specific) and Echelon (95 to be specific). The boat will likely be used mostly for skiing and cruising the lake on the weekend. I'm interested to hear recommendations based on the intended use from all of you experienced Malibu Owners. Also, I would be interested to hear what to watch for when looking at older boats like this.

Thanks for your time in advance.

What part of SE MI are you from? What lake will you be going to in the area?

I was from Ohio and still visit each year. Devils, Round, Posey mostly.

I have a '95 Sunsetter. I is a good all around use boat. We use ballast and the wedge for boarding and the wake is not bad for skiing either. I usually take the first lengt off (10' I think) and the wake is very easy to fly across. I would go with a little newer one that has fuel injection. If a carbed boat sits, it seems to take longer to get started because the fuel evaps. But that could be because I am out here in the desert at 100+ degrees! I have had both open and closed bow. The open bow is a must IMO. Open bow, tower, all adds up to an overall solid ski/board fun boat. IMO!

I live on a small lake in Livingston County north of the People's Republic of Ann Arbor.

The Echelon is a great boat, in the open bow variation it does offer more room in the bow compared to a Response. One significant difference between the Response and the Echelon is the walk through design v. walk over design for access to bow seats. The Echelon / Response boats riding on the SV23 hull have a significantly better wake than the MC 205 you commented on (I have skiied and footed behind both).

If you are somewhat serious and concerned about the ski wake and perhaps barefoot wake, I personally would go the Echelon / Response route. The Sunsetter will be much more of a compromise ski and barefoot wake.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the insight. Right now, I'm looking at a 95 Echelon that appears to be in great shape. I have also stumbled upon a 2000 Response with 140 hours on that is relatively clean. The asking on the response is $18,995 and the asking on the Echelon is $14,400. Seems to me that the Echelon is overpriced. Both rather nice boats but I can't stop thinking about the pain in the a&$ of having a step over vs the walk through but I like the idea of the newer boat......

But.....still convincing the wife on the whole program.......It's not just the boat buy, I need to get a hoist, too. Can't leave a boat like this in the water.