Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake surfing - lessons from Summer (so far!)

PowPowPatrol

Is it just me, or is it a crime to take such great looking flat water and throw 3 footers into it?

Got a guy at our lake that surfs 300 feet from the slalom course. Guess what I think of that.

You weight your boat exactly like I do mine accept I don't put the last 400 in the bow I put it on the seats furthest foreward. I will have to try putting it in the bow. What has been the magic wedge position for you.

That's great... The simple answer to the wedge position question is 12 o'clock. But... We have found the wedge angle to be the most challenging thing in the setup... I have no data to prove this but I believe the wedge calibration drifts over time. So to counter this problem we calibrate the wedge in the up position and the deployed position EVERY DAY. If we don't do this we find it very difficult to replicate the wake on subsequent days.

ALSO we have found that you need to DEPLOY the wedge and then select the preset. If you just select the preset without first deploying the wedge it ends up at a different position - usually a larger angle / higher drag. Go figure why that would be the case...

We find that if the wedge is past the 12 o'clock position the wake gets messed up - some spray jumps over the face. When the wedge is in the "perfect" position - the wake is very clean and smooth.

What about you? What have you figured out?

You weight your boat exactly like I do mine accept I don't put the last 400 in the bow I put it on the seats furthest foreward. I will have to try putting it in the bow. What has been the magic wedge position for you.

That's great... The simple answer to the wedge position question is 12 o'clock. But... We have found the wedge angle to be the most challenging thing in the setup... I have no data to prove this but I believe the wedge calibration drifts over time. So to counter this problem we calibrate the wedge in the up position and the deployed position EVERY DAY. If we don't do this we find it very difficult to replicate the wake on subsequent days.

ALSO we have found that you need to DEPLOY the wedge and then select the preset. If you just select the preset without first deploying the wedge it ends up at a different position - usually a larger angle / higher drag. Go figure why that would be the case...

We find that if the wedge is past the 12 o'clock position the wake gets messed up - some spray jumps over the face. When the wedge is in the "perfect" position - the wake is very clean and smooth.

For me I run the wedge all the way down. If I don't the wave starts to get a little messy. This could change if I move one of those 400's up to the bow area though.

For me I run the wedge all the way down. If I don't the wave starts to get a little messy. This could change if I move one of those 400's up to the bow area though.

When you say all the way down - do you mean at the deployed position? Where on the dial? 7 o'clock is deployed. 12 o'clock is max wake.

Is it just me, or is it a crime to take such great looking flat water and throw 3 footers into it?

AMEN, brother. That glass needs to be cut properly before it should be surfed.

So it sounds like all of you have a newer boat then we do. I have a 2000 23 Ft. escape. manual wake plate ( it's either up or all the way down no in-between) no built in ballast but i do have a 750 fat sack in the surfer side.

We tried to surf this week and i was not able to get a big enough wave (we did not have the fat sack full the 12volt system was not working) we had 4 adults about 180 plus per person on the surfer side. I have the 4'6" board and the rider was at the most 125 pounds.

I need some help we are very new at wake surfing and would really really like to do it like you have shown here.

P S i am 280 pounds and would like to also do it what do i need to do??

Thanks for your time and expert responses.

you have a big boat, you need lots of ballast to sink the surf side. ideally you will have trouble standing straight up because of the list to the surf side.

tried wakesurfing on our first day out on our new 09 VLX!! :)

unfortunatly we werent able to let go of the rope and stay on the wave :(

one side of the ballast was full- 90L

center tank full- 220L

power wedge 70% up (approx.)

9.8 mph

5"11' surfboard

followed the maliview preset for the surf wake but wasnt at all big enough to give us slack rope :(

what are we doing wrong??!! is it the riding or the wake or both? lol

video link -

man o man, ditch the wakeboard rope for a surf rope, frickin dangerous.

how do you calibrate the power wedge?

Its in our boat owners manual.

We calibrate on the way out - first in the stowed "UP" position and then we deploy the wedge and calibrate in the "DOWN" position.

We calibrate on the way out - first in the stowed "UP" position and then we deploy the wedge and calibrate in the "DOWN" position.

thanks, i should have known to RTFM RTFM.gif

Got a guy at our lake that surfs 300 feet from the slalom course. Guess what I think of that.

If I'm thinking what you're thinking then we can't really print it here.

If I'm thinking what you're thinking then we can't really print it here.

Whistling.gif

• 11 months later...

tried wakesurfing on our first day out on our new 09 VLX!! :)

unfortunatly we werent able to let go of the rope and stay on the wave :(

one side of the ballast was full- 90L

center tank full- 220L

power wedge 70% up (approx.)

9.8 mph

5"11' surfboard

followed the maliview preset for the surf wake but wasnt at all big enough to give us slack rope :(

video link -

looking at the shape of the wake and the action of the surfer there is too much boat speed. don't worry about the speedometer just start and go fast enough to clean up the face of the wake. I drive many different boats and I mainly use RPM's to tell me where the sweet speed is by watching the wake in the mirror. You can tell when you need more speed if the face of the wake starts to white wash and you can tell if youre going to fast by watching the height of the wake shrink.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys I am new here and I have a brand new 2010 LSV and loving it so far. I am just making sure I am buying the right fat sac. I am looking at this one

http://www.towanza.com/surf-shop/ballast-bags-kits/pro-x-series-fat-sac%E2%84%A2-w707

The Pro X series w707 to go in my surf side locker I dont have my specs in front of me it says 50" long will that fit back there? Just want to make sure before I buy it.

I am also looking at these for under the surf side seats

http://www.towanza.com/surf-shop/ballast-bags-kits/pro-x-series-v-drive-sacs-set-w701

Pro x series w701 will those work under my seats?

Also last question when I buy the pump I am assuming it comes with the tube correct to fill it up with right? Or is that seperate?

Thanks

Nathan

video link -

Thanks for the video, that was definitely helpful. As others have said, ignore the speedo and just do what feels right. Slow down a bit to get a steeper wake (try maybe 9.2 MPH). Looking at the video, I could surf that wake, but it could be steeper for a learner. When you are trying to catch the wake, don't choke up so far on the rope. Stay at the very back of the sweet spot and lean forward until you catch the wave and start moving toward the boat, then back off. Practice this for a couple days and you will be free riding.

I will say that using a regular surf board like that is going to make it harder to learn. You won't get as much push with that board as you will with a board make for wakesurfing.

Finally, put the power wedge all the down to start with. Once you are comfortable surfing, you can play around with the wedge to make the best wedge. We've had ours all over the place and all the way down seems to be the best.

Hi there guys I am new here and I have a brand new 2010 LSV and loving it so far. I am just making sure I am buying the right fat sac. I am looking at this one

http://www.towanza.com/surf-shop/ballast-bags-kits/pro-x-series-fat-sac%E2%84%A2-w707

The Pro X series w707 to go in my surf side locker I dont have my specs in front of me it says 50" long will that fit back there? Just want to make sure before I buy it.

I am also looking at these for under the surf side seats

http://www.towanza.com/surf-shop/ballast-bags-kits/pro-x-series-v-drive-sacs-set-w701

Pro x series w701 will those work under my seats?

Also last question when I buy the pump I am assuming it comes with the tube correct to fill it up with right? Or is that seperate?

Thanks

Nathan

The fly high 707 (why can't they just keep the weight as part of the number?) will fit in the rear locker of a 23. It scrunches up just a bit under the front part of the locker, but it gets almost completely fully. I have a 707 back there and another one in the seat just in front of it. The 701 will not fit under your seats. I've tried filling my 707, but it won't even fill up completely under the seat. Once it starts to get part-way full, it will lift the seats. The 704 'tube' is what you want. (Disclaimer: I don't have the 704 so I'm going by what others have said. I do know that the 701, though and I know it will pop up the seats.)

However, if you are investing in the system and you like surfing, I would strongly advise getting the custom surf sac and plumbing it in. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1813. You will spend more than separate sacs and a tsunami, but the convenience makes up for it. Also Crew Supporters get a discount at Bake's (which I should have signed up for a long time ago, since I've spent a couple grand there already).

To answer your last question, if you buy the tsunami pump that you throw over the side of the boat, it comes with the tubes you need. However, if you buy pumps that you plumb in, you will need to buy hoses, clamps and fitting separately.

Edited by Tyger

not if there is no one else around :biggrin:

ppp, what's your suggestions for fin set-up?

I have a 62" ocean board with the 2 outer & most forward fins (@ 3") set-up, this board is fast and 'squirrely' I also have a Smedman wombat with the same fins plus the center fin (this one I put beginners on) it is also rather squirrely but not as fast. Both boards are 5 fin option set-up.

Will the ride change if the outer fins are pushed back and smaller fins? I haven't experimented with the fins much- too busy having fun! :blush:

Edited by wakechick3

Tyger you are so right why cant it be the 750!! thanks so much for the info off to buy the 707 and 704!! WOOHOO cant wait to how much better it is.