Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurfing behind LSV 23 - does a Centurion have a bigger wake?

PowPowPatrol

Sorry I was late to find this thread.

I have the Bu with the custom sack. I made all the measurements and ordered it from Fly High. Bakes connected it to stock pumps for MLS tanks. I fill the MLS tank first and then use a diverter valve to start filling the sack. I also added a fill opening on the top of the sack and use another pump for faster filling. It takes a while as the sack completely fills the entire rear cavity and the area under the port side seats. Fortunately the Bu has an opening between the rear storage area and the area under the seats so nothing needed to be cut out to make the sack fit. I think it is more convenient to have the single sack but it probably does not add any more weight than some of the other configurations described in this thread. I also use a system of lead in the boat for the wake. My rub rail is at water level in the rear. I don't fill anything but port MLS and the custom sack. I also put all of my lead in the rear port side of the boat. I don't do any weight in the center or bow. I have the wedge all the way down.

Not sure who is saying that Lance told them my wake is equal to their 24' Centurion. Lance hasn't told me that.

If people are interested, I will put some video of the wake on Youtube.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kent

• PowPowPatrol

• Bobby Light

• rex420

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a 2009 23LSV. We ride with MLS Surf Left.....Left Rear Full, Center Full, I changed front ballast to 50%, Changed Wedge to 100%, and changed speed to 10.2mph. I then added a 750lb sac to the left rear locker and a 370lbs tube to the left side under the seats. We then ride with about another 400-600lb of peeps on the left as well. The wake is awesome. Have exactaly 100% what we need.

I found tweaking the speed and the wedge made most of the difference once you get everything weighted.

Hey thanks! Your ballast config is exactly the same as ours... Question when you say changed wedge o 100% - do you mean deployed - or - Max Wake position? Also - we have found that having people on the gunnel of the boat makes a huge difference to the wake - that is - as we lean the boat to the port side the wake gets better. Do you have the same experience? Its almost as if its more important to lean the boat than to load it down? We also found that we need weight in the bow otherwise the boat can't reach the set speed - the prop cavitates - usually at about 8.5 mph. Let me know what you figured out...

I spoke with the guys at WakeMakers. They say the best set-up for a 23LSV is to fill ALL of the MLS tanks. Another 750 in the rear your surfing on. Another 400 on the side your surfing on. Another 400 in the front your surfing on. Run between 10-15mph. I'm going to try this set up tomorrow....can't wait.

My wedge was at Max Wake....although I've been playing around 88%-75%. Still tweaking it. I also never tried anything faster than 10mph. I'm excited to get out tomorrow with this new setup and see how it works.

They are all right except leave your rear factory ballast empty on the side you are not surfing. bu's are not big on counterweight. 1000 plus hours of surfing has taught me this lesson.

I have the Bu with the custom sack. I made all the measurements and ordered it from Fly High. Bakes connected it to stock pumps for MLS tanks. I fill the MLS tank first and then use a diverter valve to start filling the sack. I also added a fill opening on the top of the sack and use another pump for faster filling. It takes a while as the sack completely fills the entire rear cavity and the area under the port side seats. Fortunately the Bu has an opening between the rear storage area and the area under the seats so nothing needed to be cut out to make the sack fit. I think it is more convenient to have the single sack but it probably does not add any more weight than some of the other configurations described in this thread. I also use a system of lead in the boat for the wake. My rub rail is at water level in the rear. I don't fill anything but port MLS and the custom sack. I also put all of my lead in the rear port side of the boat. I don't do any weight in the center or bow. I have the wedge all the way down.

Not sure who is saying that Lance told them my wake is equal to their 24' Centurion. Lance hasn't told me that.

Sure, I would like to see it !

The Centurion ENZO is a wakesurfing machine. I don't think you'll ever get your LSV's wave to look like that. They built that boat for wakesurfing.

Sure the Enzo is a wakesurfing machine. however, i will know for a fact the malibu throws as big or bigger wave. especially my 247. this is from the experience of riding both boats within minutes of each other very recently. the problem here is most people who spend 50-85 k on boats dont want to put the proper amount of weight in there boats to throw the biggest wave their bu can throw. the enzo simply throws a good wave with less weight. bu's take more weight but like i said the pepsi challenge has been done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey question... With the rub rail in the water - do you have any problems with water getting sucked into the fuel tank air intake - ours is on the port (surfer) side and the water covers this sometimes. We haven't had a problem (yet) but wondering if anyone else has?

Same question about the Blower Air intake...

Would like to see vids of your wake - sounds like an awesome setup...

Hey question... With the rub rail in the water - do you have any problems with water getting sucked into the fuel tank air intake - ours is on the port (surfer) side and the water covers this sometimes. We haven't had a problem (yet) but wondering if anyone else has?

Same question about the Blower Air intake...

Would like to see vids of your wake - sounds like an awesome setup...

I just turn mine 90 degrees so it's opening is pointing towards the transom.

wakesurfing behind LSV 23 - does a Centurion have a bigger wake?

yes

enzo_sv240.jpg

You can see the back of the boat and the camera was not turned at a angle, the horizon in the background is horizontal give or take a degree or too.

Wish my lsv could make a tsunami like that !! Drool.gif I am pumped to get my setup fine tuned tho, just got my last fat sac in the mail.

New setup:

full mls minus non surf

750 rear locker

750 surf side seat

750 beside it

580 under surf side seat

400 in bow.

Ill take a few pics, possibly vid if i can figure out my new cam.

Wish my lsv could make a tsunami like that !! Drool.gif I am pumped to get my setup fine tuned tho, just got my last fat sac in the mail.

New setup:

full mls minus non surf

750 rear locker

750 surf side seat

750 beside it

580 under surf side seat

400 in bow.

Ill take a few pics, possibly vid if i can figure out my new cam.

a video would be great, i would love to see what that amount of ballast will do in a 23lsv. Thumbup.gif Seems like overkill but you never know.

here is my wake now, im pretty happy with it. But im always looking to improve and tweak things. What do you guys think? Right now full mls 750 rear locker 2 750s on side seat and a 400 up front wedge all the way down. would dumping my non surfside mls help?

DSCI0105.jpg

DSCI0127.jpg

try no wedge at all and a speed of 12-13 for a longer more tubular wave. the sweet spot moves far back.

here is a couple vids from sunday. So far im not too impressed with adding the extra 580 under the seat. I couldnt fill it all the way up so im guessing its more like a 500. Anyhow the lake we were at it was really rough so I had to fill non-surf side rear tank so we wouldnt take on waves over the side. Next weekend the lake we are going to is always smooth so ill give it one more try before not bothering with the extra 500. the top one is without wedge the bottom is with.

How fast are you going (by GPS)? Looks Way fast.

Havent had a chance to borrow my uncles gps unit to compare, but boat speedo is 12.4 which I know could be way off.

here is a couple vids from sunday. So far im not too impressed with adding the extra 580 under the seat. I couldnt fill it all the way up so im guessing its more like a 500. Anyhow the lake we were at it was really rough so I had to fill non-surf side rear tank so we wouldnt take on waves over the side. Next weekend the lake we are going to is always smooth so ill give it one more try before not bothering with the extra 500. the top one is without wedge the bottom is with.

It sure looks way too fast. maybe 15+MPH

wonder what the maxium weight is that anyone has tried to surf with, and if made any difference up to a point?

I run approximately 4600lbs in ballast in my baby boat we surf regular side it works well :)

wow, you guys are slamming that baby! An lsv being 3 feet longer theoretically we should be able to run 5000+ and be okay or are my calculations wrong? Do you have any pics of your wake ?

More weight does not always come out to better wave!! there is a point where all you are doing is burning more fuel and killing your boat for no reason. Use what you need to get the wave you like to ride, any more is a waste. IMO the Bigger the boat the better the wave with less added weight. A smaller boat would need to make up the weight of the boat in ballast to try and match the displacement of a larger boat. So just because Crash needs 4600# in a 20ft boat does not mean a 23ft would need more, It would really need less because it starts off 1000# or so heavier.

This is very true the 23 has a awesome natural shape and takes considerably less weight than i run. I am happy with what my little boat does but i am changing it up for a bigger boat next year :)

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread but thought it better to post here than start a new one since there's a lot of good stuff here.

Considering buying an older 23 LSV, some wakeboarding but mostly surfing. The whole crew surfs goofy. Heard the Centurion throws a bigger wake, but what about the goofy side? I heard the Enzo is only good on the port side and probably out of the price range anyway. What about the Avalanche? Supreme? Someone had suggested a Tige 22V but I haven't been too impressed with those from what I've seen.

For you LSV owners, they changed the tank setup around '04-'05 to four hard tanks, instead of the center ski locked sac. Does the four tank model make it easier to weight?

Does the prop spin make a better goofy wake on the LSV?

I have seen some that really drag the swim step and it seems to flatten the wash, anyone ever try pulling it off or raising it up to see if you got a cleaner wake?

Any other boat I should look at? Trying to keep it under $35K.

Thanks - OTL

I know this is an older thread but thought it better to post here than start a new one since there's a lot of good stuff here.

Considering buying an older 23 LSV, some wakeboarding but mostly surfing. The whole crew surfs goofy. Heard the Centurion throws a bigger wake, but what about the goofy side? I heard the Enzo is only good on the port side and probably out of the price range anyway. What about the Avalanche? Supreme? Someone had suggested a Tige 22V but I haven't been too impressed with those from what I've seen.

For you LSV owners, they changed the tank setup around '04-'05 to four hard tanks, instead of the center ski locked sac. Does the four tank model make it easier to weight?

Does the prop spin make a better goofy wake on the LSV?

I have seen some that really drag the swim step and it seems to flatten the wash, anyone ever try pulling it off or raising it up to see if you got a cleaner wake?

Any other boat I should look at? Trying to keep it under $35K.

Thanks - OTL

"older" lsv for less than 35? no problem. btw, what's your definition of "older"? In my opinion, you're hearing too many opinions that are absolutes. To say Enzo is "only" good port side is ridiculous. Wakes are buildable on bus and centurions. As for '04 change, heck ya! it gives you four times as many factory ballast areas!

If someone is dragging their swim PLATFORM it won't flatten anything, although it will affect the smoothness of the wave. A properly weighted lsv, however, will not be adversely affected by the platform whatsoever.

"older" lsv for less than 35? no problem. btw, what's your definition of "older"? In my opinion, you're hearing too many opinions that are absolutes. To say Enzo is "only" good port side is ridiculous. Wakes are buildable on bus and centurions. As for '04 change, heck ya! it gives you four times as many factory ballast areas!

If someone is dragging their swim PLATFORM it won't flatten anything, although it will affect the smoothness of the wave. A properly weighted lsv, however, will not be adversely affected by the platform whatsoever.

Generally older meaning '04 to '07 hulls, but the '06 to '07 are still pricey. I looked into some '04s but still had the ski locker sacks. Since they were changing over that year I thought some would have had the 4 hard tanks but haven't found any yet. The '05s do for sure. I have considered the '00-'03, but the 4 hidden tanks in later models are a huge draw. Thanks for the verification on the tanks = more space for extra ballast, that's what I though but haven't checked them out yet.

I've seen pictures of the Enzo starboard side that looked good, but they need twice the weight, 3000lb starboard vs 1500 port.

Hopefully someone will post a few more goofy pics from their Bu.

Thanks - OTL

More weight does not always come out to better wave!! there is a point where all you are doing is burning more fuel and killing your boat for no reason. Use what you need to get the wave you like to ride, any more is a waste. IMO the Bigger the boat the better the wave with less added weight. A smaller boat would need to make up the weight of the boat in ballast to try and match the displacement of a larger boat. So just because Crash needs 4600# in a 20ft boat does not mean a 23ft would need more, It would really need less because it starts off 1000# or so heavier.

Not too sure on that one. A bigger boat would need more weight to sink it, a smaller boat needs less. I can run less weight than by buddy with his 08 LSV and have a similar wave. Thats the beauty of the VTX, it doesnt take as much weight to sink. However if your load up a 23 or the 247 with significant weight you wave will be amazing. The wake of a 20 footer can only get so big. There is more freeboard height etc to work with once you get into the bigger boats. I find that once you run stock, wedge a few clicks up, a 750 in the rear and 400 on the seat and 400 in the bow any additional weight doesnt really help in the VTX. Just my opinion.

That's what I was running yesterday. I had left mls full, 750 sac on top of that, 400 sac under seats on surf side, 2 400# sacs on top of seats on surf side, midship mls full, no bow weight, and wedge at 100% deployed. Running at 10.6-11 and we could surf to about 12 feet back.

Whats the scoop with no weight in the bow. Never tried that but would that not shorten up your wave? I have to run some weight in the VTX as I have limited space for my 400 sacks.

anyone who needs help dialing there goofy wave w/ a 23 lsv with a wedge, send me a PM. My wave is as large as the wave that you see in the Enzo video posted....thats my friend Scott's white 24 Enzo on Lake Austin.

The 23 LSV throws a way better goofy wave in comparison to regular side - due to prop rotation. Same with the Enzo - it throws a better regular side wave....from my experiences. Weight placement is crucial. Im happy to help anyone, let me know.

Why does the goofy (dark side) appear to be a better wake on the BU's? Is it really prop rotation...I thought all boats these days have the same roation especially Centurion and BU's. I would only guess it was prop roation but doesnt really make sence to me. Another crew member in another forum suggested that there was no way this could be and went on about his buddy and his X2 and reversing the prop rotation to improve the darkside wave... Funny thing is my buddy has a better wave on the darkside on his 05 X2. So what is the real deal?

• 2 months later...

Anyone have experience weighting an 00-03 LSV 23 for surfing? Any pictures? Wakemakers has an 1100 made for the locker and under the seat like the 1300 for the newer LSV. I am considering the 750 or 1100 custom sacks and maybe tubes in the bow. Anyone have pics or videos from this boat with 750's in the locker or has anyone tried the 1100 in this boat? Thanks!