Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurfing behind LSV 23 - does a Centurion have a bigger wake?

PowPowPatrol

Alrighty fellow Malibu wakesurfers. I need some advise. We have been surfing behind our LSV 23 for about a year now and we are starting to dial the wake. This weekend we were surfing on Donner Lake - Lake Tahoe area. You can view a short video if you want to see the wake:

http://www.vimeo.com/4870020

Maybe its just me but when I compare our wake and the wake from the Centurion in this video - the Centurion ENZO seems to be a lot bigger and much steeper with a lip to bounce off: See this video

http://www.vimeo.com/4171804

We had our boat set up with SURF-L preset (wedge at Max Wake). 750 lbs in the Left rear compartment. 300lbs left center seat. 500lbs people ballast on left side - one swinging. Driver about 200 lbs.

Three questions...

1. Has anyone figured out how to create a steeper faced wave - that is a more vertical face on the wave - preferably with a lip to bounce off?

2. Has anyone figured a weight to wake size chart? Is it linear? is there a limit (for example if we doubled the ballast - would the wake size double?)

3. Has anyone figured out which prop is best for a high alpine lake setting - Elev. 6000 feet?

Appreciate all the great info in the forum! Look forward to any advise you folks may have!

Thanks very much

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kent

• PowPowPatrol

• Bobby Light

• rex420

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Centurion ENZO is a wakesurfing machine. I don't think you'll ever get your LSV's wave to look like that. They built that boat for wakesurfing.

The Centurion ENZO is a wakesurfing machine. I don't think you'll ever get your LSV's wave to look like that. They built that boat for wakesurfing.

Not according to the crew at Inland Surfer. Paul at Bake's Marine had a custom sac made for a customer's 23 LSV like the Enzo sac. The guys said it was as good or better than the enzo wave, better because it had a firmer lip on the wave.

Get ahold of Paul at Bake's marine for details on the custom sac he had made.

Play with the wedge a little bit. When we load up the VLX (Preset surf left,fill half the front, 440# sac back left, 800# on left seat) we get a better wake with the wedge at 50%.

Surf's UP!

I will second 06 vlx.....( who should be renamed to 09 lsv monster wave machine :) ) the sack they made was around 1600 pods and was just like the enzo bag only made to fit the bu. it filled the locker and the ran all the way up under the seats. I asked Lance about it over at inland surfer and he was very impressed with the wave said it reasily compared to there enzo..

I will second 06 vlx.....( who should be renamed to 09 lsv monster wave machine :) ) the sack they made was around 1600 pods and was just like the enzo bag only made to fit the bu. it filled the locker and the ran all the way up under the seats. I asked Lance about it over at inland surfer and he was very impressed with the wave said it reasily compared to there enzo..

Yes it's funny what 2,550 pounds + wedge on the surf side will do to a wave.

Not according to the crew at Inland Surfer. Paul at Bake's Marine had a custom sac made for a customer's 23 LSV like the Enzo sac. The guys said it was as good or better than the enzo wave, better because it had a firmer lip on the wave.

Sounds pretty sweet, do you have any pics?

I've got a 2009 23LSV. We ride with MLS Surf Left.....Left Rear Full, Center Full, I changed front ballast to 50%, Changed Wedge to 100%, and changed speed to 10.2mph. I then added a 750lb sac to the left rear locker and a 370lbs tube to the left side under the seats. We then ride with about another 400-600lb of peeps on the left as well. The wake is awesome. Have exactaly 100% what we need.

I found tweaking the speed and the wedge made most of the difference once you get everything weighted.

Uhh...you painted your toenails?

Not me - my buddy Chris - his girl likes painted toe nails. Don't ask...

Sweet. Thanks for the lead.

I've got a 2009 23LSV. We ride with MLS Surf Left.....Left Rear Full, Center Full, I changed front ballast to 50%, Changed Wedge to 100%, and changed speed to 10.2mph. I then added a 750lb sac to the left rear locker and a 370lbs tube to the left side under the seats. We then ride with about another 400-600lb of peeps on the left as well. The wake is awesome. Have exactaly 100% what we need.

I found tweaking the speed and the wedge made most of the difference once you get everything weighted.

Hey thanks! Your ballast config is exactly the same as ours... Question when you say changed wedge o 100% - do you mean deployed - or - Max Wake position? Also - we have found that having people on the gunnel of the boat makes a huge difference to the wake - that is - as we lean the boat to the port side the wake gets better. Do you have the same experience? Its almost as if its more important to lean the boat than to load it down? We also found that we need weight in the bow otherwise the boat can't reach the set speed - the prop cavitates - usually at about 8.5 mph. Let me know what you figured out...

Oh, thats interesting... So the sac went up under the seats as well as filling the port rear locker... Where was the water line on the boat? Like was it above the rubbing strake?

Play with the wedge a little bit. When we load up the VLX (Preset surf left,fill half the front, 440# sac back left, 800# on left seat) we get a better wake with the wedge at 50%.

Surf's UP!

When you say 50% do you mean 12 oclock or 9 oclock on the wedge dial?

Hey thanks! Your ballast config is exactly the same as ours... Question when you say changed wedge o 100% - do you mean deployed - or - Max Wake position? Also - we have found that having people on the gunnel of the boat makes a huge difference to the wake - that is - as we lean the boat to the port side the wake gets better. Do you have the same experience? Its almost as if its more important to lean the boat than to load it down? We also found that we need weight in the bow otherwise the boat can't reach the set speed - the prop cavitates - usually at about 8.5 mph. Let me know what you figured out...

I spoke with the guys at WakeMakers. They say the best set-up for a 23LSV is to fill ALL of the MLS tanks. Another 750 in the rear your surfing on. Another 400 on the side your surfing on. Another 400 in the front your surfing on. Run between 10-15mph. I'm going to try this set up tomorrow....can't wait.

My wedge was at Max Wake....although I've been playing around 88%-75%. Still tweaking it. I also never tried anything faster than 10mph. I'm excited to get out tomorrow with this new setup and see how it works.

I spoke with the guys at WakeMakers. They say the best set-up for a 23LSV is to fill ALL of the MLS tanks. Another 750 in the rear your surfing on. Another 400 on the side your surfing on. Another 400 in the front your surfing on. Run between 10-15mph. I'm going to try this set up tomorrow....can't wait.

My wedge was at Max Wake....although I've been playing around 88%-75%. Still tweaking it. I also never tried anything faster than 10mph. I'm excited to get out tomorrow with this new setup and see how it works.

Awesome - thanks. Take some photos and post them!

Awesome - thanks. Take some photos and post them!

Here are a couple of still photos of the wake. Seems like the STB side has a better wake - I read somewhere that the Malibu boats create a better wake on the STB (Goofy) footer) side. Something to do with the direction the prop spins. Not sure if that's true.

post-7966-1243628827_thumb.jpg

post-7966-1243629119_thumb.jpg

Oh, thats interesting... So the sac went up under the seats as well as filling the port rear locker... Where was the water line on the boat? Like was it above the rubbing strake?

That's what I was running yesterday. I had left mls full, 750 sac on top of that, 400 sac under seats on surf side, 2 400# sacs on top of seats on surf side, midship mls full, no bow weight, and wedge at 100% deployed. Running at 10.6-11 and we could surf to about 12 feet back.

My 07 may be alittle different but for a bigger face slow down to 10 for a longer pocket 11.8 is perfect for us

Heres our set up

All MLS full

750 in the trunk

750 in the surf side seat

500 on the floor next to the seat

500 in the bow along the surf side (fits perfect)

wedge all the way down

Here is the wave at 11.8 MPH

690028.jpg

690027.jpg

My 07 may be alittle different but for a bigger face slow down to 10 for a longer pocket 11.8 is perfect for us

Heres our set up

All MLS full

750 in the trunk

wedge all the way down

690028.jpg

690027.jpg

The dark side doesn't count Biggrin.gif

Looks good Drool.gif

Heres our set up

All MLS full

750 in the trunk

wedge all the way down

690028.jpg

690027.jpg

Thats a great looking wake!

anyone who needs help dialing there goofy wave w/ a 23 lsv with a wedge, send me a PM. My wave is as large as the wave that you see in the Enzo video posted....thats my friend Scott's white 24 Enzo on Lake Austin.

The 23 LSV throws a way better goofy wave in comparison to regular side - due to prop rotation. Same with the Enzo - it throws a better regular side wave....from my experiences. Weight placement is crucial. Im happy to help anyone, let me know.