Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

engine looses power

Yahoo.gif Problem solved!!!! I called Indmar yesterday and the tech rep told me that a whining fuel pump was a sign that the pump was not getting enough fuel to work properly. He told me to undo all the fittings all the way back to the fuel tank and to check if there was any debris. I did not find anything in the tank or in the hoses but there is a small filter inside the inlet to the fuel pump that I would have never seen had I not taken the fuel pump out. It looks like a sprinkler head screen filter but about 1/2 in long. Well it was filthy. I went ahead and cleaned it put everything back together and put it in the water. BTW the pump primed on its own in about 10 secs. The boat ran better that it has in a long long time. I am so happy. In the end all it cost me was the price on my new fuel pressure gauge. Hope it helps bigair nut. Rockon.gif

Congrants! Rockon.gif

Sounds like the guys at Indmar are top knoch and always willing to help. It gives me the warm fuzzy feeling knowing I have people like that behind us........

I'm going to check ours out when I get the chance......

Congrats Pappy! I have not had time to check mine. I bought a new fuel filter and a fuel pressure test gauge the other day but it has been raining most afternoons. I hope to attack it today or tomorrow. I haven't looked around too much - is the fuel pump in the tank or outside? Thanks.

On my motor it is outside. It is a silver soda can looking cylinder on the right side of the motor.

Thanks Pappy. I found my fuel pump but then the storms came in again. Can't catch a break! Now I have to go out of town tomorrow so I won't get to work on it again until Saturday. Where exactly is the screen filter? Is it in the 1/2" fuel line where it connects to the bottom of the fuel pump or do you actually have to take the pump apart somehow? Thanks a ton.

It 's in the pump in the inlet. You don't have to take the pump apart, just take the inbound fuel line off the bottom.

Of course it will be easier to access it with the fuel pump off the boat as it's embedded pretty deep into the inlet.

It 's in the pump in the inlet. You don't have to take the pump apart, just take the inbound fuel line off the bottom.

Of course it will be easier to access it with the fuel pump off the boat as it's embedded pretty deep into the inlet.

You do not need to open up the pump. Take the inlet hose off the pump and look into it. Just use a small screwdriver to gently slide it out. It would be very hard to do with the pump still on the boat.

You do not need to open up the pump. Take the inlet hose off the pump and look into it. Just use a small screwdriver to gently slide it out. It would be very hard to do with the pump still on the boat.

well i took my fuel pump out and pulled the small screen filter out. it had a little bit of stuff in it but wasn't filthy by any means. i cleaned it out and put everything back together. everything seems to be running fine now. i am surprised that little bit of dirt was causing all of those problems but i am very relieved it appears to be fixed now. i put a fuel pressure test gauge on it before and after. most of the time it ran at 40 psi unless i floored it then the pressure dropped to 25 or so. after cleaning the filter, it is running at 40 non stop. lots of power! thanks for the info pappy! i really appreciate your input...saved me a ton of money i'm sure! a friend of mine told me today he spent $1000 on a tune up before he put his MC in the water. i just looked at him like he was crazy. thanks again.

well i took my fuel pump out and pulled the small screen filter out. it had a little bit of stuff in it but wasn't filthy by any means. i cleaned it out and put everything back together. everything seems to be running fine now. i am surprised that little bit of dirt was causing all of those problems but i am very relieved it appears to be fixed now. i put a fuel pressure test gauge on it before and after. most of the time it ran at 40 psi unless i floored it then the pressure dropped to 25 or so. after cleaning the filter, it is running at 40 non stop. lots of power! thanks for the info pappy! i really appreciate your input...saved me a ton of money i'm sure! a friend of mine told me today he spent $1000 on a tune up before he put his MC in the water. i just looked at him like he was crazy. thanks again.

Anybody willing to pay me $1000 to install cap, rotor, Thumbup.gif wires, plugs, and filters PM me and I will throw in an impeller for FREE!!!!!! Thumbup.gif

Glad it worked out. I am headed to the boat today to enjoy. Have a great summer.

Pappy