Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

porsche cayenne s tow rig?

scott_fx

11 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Lol.  The EXTs are great, but I didn't want the AWD or the autoride suspension- I went with the z71 suspension!

What is wrong with AWD? Autoride is great for towing... as is the 6.2L under the hood. I get better fuel mileage than I did with my Avalanche.

15 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Once you have an avy, you don't go back! 

The only think I would consider upgrading to is an International MXT. I love those things, completely impractical, I'm sure parking in downtown Boston would be impossible without destroying 2 Prius and a Tesla. Plus their appreciating price tag is anything but affordable to me. So I guess the Avy will stay. 

Friend of mine has the newer Touareg, but with the gasser 6. He really likes it, has had it for a couple years now. Customer of mine has a Cayenne TDI, really sharp vehicle, he likes it a lot. Neither tow, so I can't really add to that discussion.

4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

What is wrong with AWD? Autoride is great for towing... as is the 6.2L under the hood. I get better fuel mileage than I did with my Avalanche.

Just preference. I would like the 6.2 though. I told my wife that I'm swapping in the 6.0 if the 5.3 ever dies.

2 minutes ago, RedOwl said:

That looks like a nice car too! 

But I'm staying out of it.  She complains about the Jeep constantly, wants a new car, I give her options, she shoots them down, then back to complaining.  She'll find what she wants eventually, she's pretty frugal too.

I told her I'm not selling the Jeep.  If anything, I'll sell that wagon, let my kids drive the Jeep, and then she can get her own car (and then find new material to complain about).

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread...As my current lease is ending towards the end of summer, I'm getting the itch to try out a lot of different vehicles.  Will probably be looking in the under $40k category for a smaller SUV that will be able to be bought and sold in a couple of years without losing my rear, when I get the itch for something different.  I'm really not concerned with being able to tow the boat.  At most need to tow about a 2,000 trailer with 4 wheelers on it.

Anyone still have their Cayanne or a Macan?  I'm most nervous about cost of ownership if I were to buy used.  I don't want $5,000 trips to the dealership.  I see I could get into a 10 yr old Cayenne for under $10k.  I have not done any research on common issues associated with high mileage Cayennes.  I'm shocked their resale is so low.

I don't have one but I researched the cayenne turbos pretty hard for a time.  The pre-09 ones had an issue with needing cooling pipes replaced.  If memory serves it's an inexpensive part but an expensive process because the pipes in question are buried under the intake manifold.  Cardan shafts also need to be replaced.

I'd really wrapped my head around getting comfortable with these issues and was ready to hunt for a well maintained one owner car... until I went and sat in one in person.  Inside they are REALLY small... like the size of a ford escape.  

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I don't have one but I researched the cayenne turbos pretty hard for a time.  The pre-09 ones had an issue with needing cooling pipes replaced.  If memory serves it's an inexpensive part but an expensive process because the pipes in question are buried under the intake manifold.  Cardan shafts also need to be replaced. 

I believe the coolant pipes are a problem for other models besides the turbos.  Good news is most have been replaced at this point.

I'm starting to look for a newer tow vehicle (my monthly average cost of ownership for the EXT is starting to get beyond what I want it to be) - the Cayenne Diesels have really dropped in price recently.  Started in '13 and you can find them for under 30k now.  I'm just having troubles grasping not having a truck bed, especially for things like hauling leaky fuel cans, lumber/stone from the Lowes and such.  Guess I could spend a few hundred on a utility trailer...  

I did a little reading last night.  Besides gas mileage, is there really any other advantage to Cayenne diesel?   It seems that the 2nd gen Cayenne doesn't have a high number of known issues, like the 1st generation did.  The resale value still appears drop like a rock.

I have a single axle, Triton aluminum flat bed trailer. It was the best $1000 I ever spent.  I use that thing all the time, including last night when I went and picked up a used trampoline for my kid.  Even though I like the idea of having a truck, I think I would miss the ability to easily keep stuff in the back cargo area of an SUV.