Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

porsche cayenne s tow rig?

scott_fx

OK Soon...

I guess the real question here would be what are the torque & HP ratings of various engines at highway speeds - say 65MPH - not necessarily where their max torque is.

I do know that the 265 Ft-Lbs in the V6 is going to be OK and able to maintain 65 MPH towing a SLXi if you don't get behind too slow of traffic when heading up a hill. If you get slowed down, then it will struggle to get back up to speed going up hill. It pretty closely matches the 250 my Pathfinder has - driving the hills of Kentucky.

Turning OD off helps then & it will climb the hills & get back up to speed, but it will take a while. Max Torque is around 3.5K RPM in my vehicle, with highway towing speeds running around 2.5K. With OD off, it runs about 3.2K & will cruise right up the hills.

My wife really likes the size of the mid-size SUVs for the 80% of the driving we do in it that's not towing.

Edit: Our next tow vehicle will be another mid-size SUV, though with either a V8 or diesel next time.

Edited by wienrdog

Hi Guys. I will throw a huge thumbs up to the Porshe Cayenne and the VW Touareg as tow vehicals. I picked up an 08 V10TDI (553 lb/ft torque) Touareg and it tows my 23LSV BETTER than my 08 Armada did. This car is SIMPLY AMAZING! I just pulled my boat over the Cascade mountains to eastern Washington yesterday... I honestly could not feel the boat behind my Touareg.. it was far more impressive then i even imagined. My V10 has all the options including the air susp which i think is a must if you are going to tow. I went over Highway 2 (Stevens Pass) and even at the steepest parts near the top i had the cruise set at 65 and the touareg was sitting at 2000 RPMs... it neve downshifted.. it was great. 350MM brakes bring the thing to a stop in a heartbeat. the best part... I averaged over 15 MPG on the trip(remember.. that's with some really steep passes that suck the gas) and that included traffic in Seattle and some town driving along the way.

The Germans built this car to do exactly what we Malibu owners need... tow our boat to the lake on the weekends and have a normal sized (and fun to drive car) during the week. If anyone decided to go down the Touareg/Cayenne path i assure you that you will be very happy with your choice.

Photos of the rig from yesterday...

3718491094_4e4e6a31a6_b.jpg

3717680585_53acbbc284_b.jpg

3718498134_aa17f160a6_b.jpg

3718500432_718923315d.jpg

3718493536_04191c7518_b.jpg

OK Soon...

I guess the real question here would be what are the torque & HP ratings of various engines at highway speeds - say 65MPH - not necessarily where their max torque is.

The OEMs quote the torque at its highest point. You can assume torque increases up to that point, and then falls off as you increase speed. Horsepower is just a derived value - torque (ft-lbs) x speed (rpm) / 5252 converts to SHP. OEMs quote the SHP at its highest value also - which is just the best combination of engine speed and torque to get the highest SHP. (They are marketing the vehicle, so they qute the biggest numbers they can) The transmission can then help you get more speed, but it doesn't create any more power. Check around and you can usually find a car book that has the details on a specific engine.

Some engines are quoted as having a "flat" torque curve - for example, the Duramax has a pretty flat curve so it provides great starting with a heavy load and can keep it moving. The Duramax has 660 ft-lbs of torque at its peak, but still has 600 ft-lbs at its highest power setting.

The newer Corvette engines have flat torque curves which gives them lots of power through a wide speed range. A small sports car might be rated as having a high horsepower engine, but it could just run at a very high speed and produce low torque.

So, for your highway speed question - you would need to get to the highway speed, check the engine RPMs, then check an engine spec to see what torque the engine produces at that speed. (torque x rpm / 5252 = SHP at that point)

There is an old saying - "there is no replacement for displacement". That really holds true - a larger displacement engine will generally have higher torque and produce more power than a smaller engine. And the more cylinders, generally the more torque - V4<V6<V8<V10, etc. That downside is they usually like to drink more gas ....

And the V10 TDI is retty impressive -

From what i found -

The V10 is a 5.0 litre engine -

553 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm is making about 210 HP.

At its max HP rating of 310 at 3750, it is still producing 435 ft lbs of torque - a lot of power.

So this vehicle will get rolling and has plenty of power to move it down the highway.

Thumbup.gif

And the V10 TDI is retty impressive -

From what i found -

The V10 is a 5.0 litre engine -

553 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm is making about 210 HP.

At its max HP rating of 310 at 3750, it is still producing 435 ft lbs of torque - a lot of power.

So this vehicle will get rolling and has plenty of power to move it down the highway.

Thumbup.gif

Clap.gifThumbup.gifBiggrin.gif And when the boat isn't hooked up it's a blast to drive:)

Edited by gregtay
The boat you are towing is probably 6,000-6,500 lbs and I believe the Cayenne is about 4,750 lbs curb eight so that boat is going to throw that vehicle around a little. Power will not be the problem. The towing rating on the Cayenne is I think 7,500 lbs but that is with a weight distributing hitch, only 5,000lbs with a dead weight hitch, again pushing the limit. Also, I am not sure the Cayenne has a tranny cooler or not, I would guess not.

If you are not towing long distance probably OK, but if it were me and I towed a lot I would consider a vehicle more specifically designed for the job.

yea i agree i got a 02 suburban and love it. i was using a 04 single cab siverado with a manual tran and yes it gets worse A V6! ok it was 11000 brand new and i couldnt say no. i wouldnt go as far as saying it towed the boat but i did get to the launch ramp and put the boat in the water. but it was a pain in the a** to get it out. 200 ft pnds of torq

So I'm at a BMW dealer today pitching my wares, and the GM says, "we like to do business with people who do business with us."

Fair enough... "What do you have to tow my boat?"

He shows me an X5 diesle.

Now this has "twin-turbocharged diesel inline-6 that produces 265 hp and 425 lb-ft of torque."

My question is this... Why would the tow rating on BMW be only 6000lbs while VW (09) with lower hp and torque and Porche higher HP but lower torque be rated for 7700lbs?

Could I make the BMW work? Pretty risky to beat a 70K car that way.

So I'm at a BMW dealer today pitching my wares, and the GM says, "we like to do business with people who do business with us."

Fair enough... "What do you have to tow my boat?"

He shows me an X5 diesle.

Now this has "twin-turbocharged diesel inline-6 that produces 265 hp and 425 lb-ft of torque."

My question is this... Why would the tow rating on BMW be only 6000lbs while VW (09) with lower hp and torque and Porche higher HP but lower torque be rated for 7700lbs?

Could I make the BMW work? Pretty risky to beat a 70K car that way.

Yes, you can make the X5 work.. i was VERY close to picking up the X5 35d but it was very hard to find one with the thrid row seat which is needed for rear auto leveling susp. The X5 doesn't have a transfer case to steep rough ramps might be a little dicey but it had the torque to do the trick. After driving the X5 a few times i finally got a chance to drive the Audi Q7 3.0TDI... it spanked the X5 in every catogory. Drove smoother, better motor, much nicer interior, less expensive (maybe by $1K so it doesn't really count.) Personally i would have a hard time spending the money on the X5 35d when i can have the Q7 TDI for the same price. Find yourself a new Q7 TDI S-Live with adaptive air susp.

For me the VW Touareg V10TDI was the ticket... loaded with goodies, fast, and more torque than anyone can imagine.

The towing ratings have to include the strength of the drive system, suspension, chassis, tires, etc, plus the engine to move it.

The BMW could have a lighter frame, not designed for towing.

Here's my first long distance towing report with my Cayenne S.

We went to Parker. We we going to stay 4 days but we left after the second day because of some health issues. Anyway. On the way out I got 12 MPH. I tow a 2000 Sunsetter LXi. On the way back I got 10 MPH. I set the cruise at 60-65 MPH the whole way. The CS handled beautifully. The tranny shifted flawlessly with minimal shifting. The ambient temp on the whole trip was between 110 to 118 degs. It sure was HOT but the CS did AWESOME!

The westbound I-40 Needles grade was no problem. I took my time and chugged up the grade at 60 MPH. The CS had enough UMPH to go faster but I wanted to conserve fuel. The water temp never moved from 195 deg. Going up the grade I noticed that the oil temp rose up to 230-240 degs. Once we leveled off the temp went back down to 180 deg. I fueled up at the Terrible's on I-40 and SR-95 in Arizona. I made it all the way to Barstow on one tank.

I am impressed with my CS. Essentially it's a TRUCK. It get the same mileage as one and it can tow the same. The great thing its a luxury trunk. AWD, great handling and performance, great Porsche looks, etc.

I am happy that I got my CS!

Wasn't able to get any pictures. We are going back to Havasu in 3 weeks. I'll take some then.

• 1 month later...

I just remembered this thread. Here is a pic of the CS with the boat in Lake Havasu. I was there first week of Aug 2009

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Same spot last year with my old tow rig. Just a small upgrade.

Havasu_0005.jpg

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle
  • 7 years later...

Bumping an old thread. I am currently looking at a Cayenne GTS. I have been doing a lot of reading on rennlist of guys using their ceyenne's for towing trailers, car haulers, boats etc around. Any updates in the Malibu world of Cayenne owners?

39 minutes ago, asp13 said:

Bumping an old thread. I am currently looking at a Cayenne GTS. I have been doing a lot of reading on rennlist of guys using their ceyenne's for towing trailers, car haulers, boats etc around. Any updates in the Malibu world of Cayenne owners?

What year GTS are you looking at?  I love the GTS styling.

Here's my update.  My 06 CS is going strong.  150K miles on the truck.  Just had to fix all the common problems the Cayennes experience.  Coolant tubes, coils, lower front control arms, just to name a few.  I towed with my Cayenne with my first boat.  The one posted above.  Since then I have upgraded my 'Bu.  About 3 years ago I picked up a 2007 VTX with a new G3 tower.  My Cayenne has towed that boat many times without any problems.  I tow from SoCal to Havasu 2-3 times a year.  

You will not regret getting a Cayenne as a tow vehicle.

IMG_1367_zps63a9b4cf.jpg

Yes, an 04 turbo. Not the ideal car for everyday towing but I only tow 2 to 3 times a season.  She has performed well with no issues to report.  Pulls the lsv no problem, with the response it's like it's not even back there.  Mileage is poor while towing, maybe 10 to 12mpg's

caytow.JPG

caytow.JPG

Edited by powderjay

I totally have car ADD (credit @IXFE) and I tend to satisfy it with buying depreciated vehicles off of my lifetime wishlist.  Right now I'm totally over my current rig ('01 Excursion 7.3) even though I've finally spent all the money to work out its handling kinks.  Drives mostly straight (as good as it gets in excursion-land) is completely reliable (yay 7.3!) and when it does break there's probably a youtube video and a part at autozone to keep it on the road (yay ubiquity!).  

But the love is gone and I really want to drive something different.

The cayenne turbo is a freaking incredible bargain right now -- vehicles that sold for $120K new can now be had for 10-12% of that!  holy smokes.  I really really want to like one, but I went and looked at one the other day and I cannot get over how small they are in person.  The cabin, while very well appointed, feels sooooooooo small.  Like a Ford Escape, or Honda CRV basically.  I mean I know I'm driving a small schoolbus now so anything else is going to seem small, but I just can't imagine driving the cayenne with teens in the back seat and a boat in tow. 

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I totally have car ADD (credit @IXFE) and I tend to satisfy it with buying depreciated vehicles off of my lifetime wishlist.  Right now I'm totally over my current rig ('01 Excursion 7.3) even though I've finally spent all the money to work out its handling kinks.  Drives mostly straight (as good as it gets in excursion-land) is completely reliable (yay 7.3!) and when it does break there's probably a youtube video and a part at autozone to keep it on the road (yay ubiquity!).  

The cayenne turbo is a freaking incredible bargain right now -- vehicles that sold for $120K new can now be had for 10-12% of that!  holy smokes.  I really really want to like one, but I went and looked at one the other day and I cannot get over how small they are in person.  The cabin, while very well appointed, feels sooooooooo small.  Like a Ford Escape, or Honda CRV basically.  I mean I know I'm driving a small schoolbus now so anything else is going to seem small, but I just can't imagine driving the cayenne with teens in the back seat and a boat in tow. 

I REALLY wanted to get a Cayenne two years ago for many of the reasons you stated.  But I couldn't find one that I really liked (size issue as well), and ended up giving up on that.  In honesty, I am glad I did.  I don't really like the way my LSV pushes around my Yukon XL.  I can't imagine the Cayenne comfortably towing the boat.

6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

For me it's not so much ADD as an unscratchable new car itch.   ("new" being defined as different and generally used).    With hindsight being what it is, Years ago,  I should have purchased a minority interest in the local car dealership in exchange for the use of a vehicle and the option to swap vehicles randomly when the itch strikes.

Just now, Bozboat said:

For me it's not so much ADD as an unscratchable new car itch.   ("new" being defined as different and generally used).    With hindsight being what it is, Years ago,  I should have purchased a minority interest in the local car dealership in exchange for the use of a vehicle and the option to swap vehicles randomly when the itch strikes.

I share that same disease, Boz.  haha right now I can't quit looking at 08-10 LS460s.  I think I could live with the excursion a lot longer if I had a forgiving daily to jump into.

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I share that same disease, Boz.  haha right now I can't quit looking at 08-10 LS460s.  I think I could live with the excursion a lot longer if I had a forgiving daily to jump into.

Last year I borrowed a 2012 Black LS460 from the dealer. (read they tried to sell me it) 

beautiful car, but terrible to drive. Brought back terrors of the old man's Lincoln town car of the 80-90s.  Like trying to guide a pillow around town, drove like a glastron with all of the brakes and power of a 91 LTD.

hoped that helped you SD

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3

If it wasn't for the fact I use the truck bed on my Escalade EXT, there would be a Cayenne Turbo in the driveway right now.  I have a feeling it is too big for my wife to buy as her next vehicle and a Macan Turbo is holding its value way too well (and probably doesn't tow well). 

On 12/2/2016 at 3:39 PM, shawndoggy said:

VAriety is the spice of life. When I had my MC, I didn't even think about a different car, had an alternative. Sold the bike, traded the car shortly after, and now constantly looking at other cars, even though I don't want to give up the Avy. Maybe an older boxster....

8 minutes ago, Falko said:

VAriety is the spice of life. When I had my MC, I didn't even think about a different car, had an alternative. Sold the bike, traded the car shortly after, and now constantly looking at other cars, even though I don't want to give up the Avy. Maybe an older boxster....

Once you have an avy, you don't go back! 

Just now, hunter77ah said:

Once you have an avy, you don't go back! 

Or you upgrade to an EXT. :)  I couldn't justify a well optioned Avalanche when I could get an EXT for only a couple grand more...and that couple grand buys a lot of upgrades to the vehicle.

22 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Or you upgrade to an EXT. :)  I couldn't justify a well optioned Avalanche when I could get an EXT for only a couple grand more...and that couple grand buys a lot of upgrades to the vehicle.

Lol.  The EXTs are great, but I didn't want the AWD or the autoride suspension- I went with the z71 suspension!