Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast upgrade

liljohn

$250 sounds reasonable to me, doubt you could get one for less than that.

And Bakes steps up to the plate and knocks it out of the park with a $225 offer !!!! :thumbup:

I am installing the tank, but do you just use a piece of aluminum angle to mount the tank? or are most of you letting the tank just free float?

I am installing the tank, but do you just use a piece of aluminum angle to mount the tank? or are most of you letting the tank just free float?

It was free floating on my 06', it's bolted down with aluminum angle on my 09'. The tank is designed for the bolts on the 09' tank but I don't think there was any place to screw to on the 06' tank. You don't want to make your own mounting plate for that tank you have, you'll be asking for a leak.

You could just bolt a piece of aluminum angle to the floor to keep the tank pushed forward as far as possible, just makes sure you pad the angle with padding or foam to keep it from chaffing and rubbing on the plastic tank causing wear.

• 1 month later...

okay just finished my bow tank install :biggrin: . Went smooth without a hitch. With the exception of having to watch my 2 1/2 yr and 4 mo kids while climbing in and out of my BU. Whew! :innocent: that was definitely that hardest part.

Now to my question, what has everyone done to the seat bottoms? More specifically the seat cleats on the bottom of the seats. Seams to me that the pressure from a person sitting on the seat pressing on the tank from the cleats could damage the tank. I know liljohn carpeted the top of his tank. will this protect the tank? With my install the seats dont seem to be completely level as it was before. Others have stated that theirs came from the factory with a carpeted board placed on top of the tank.

I was thinking of removing the cleats and installing a carpeted board to fill the gap from the top of the tank to the top of the seat support around the edge of the bow. At least that way the seats are contacting something solid as opposed to a plastic tank and a 4" plastic cleat. Any thoughts?

BTW Thanks for posting your install LilJohn you :rockon:

okay just finished my bow tank install :biggrin: . Went smooth without a hitch. With the exception of having to watch my 2 1/2 yr and 4 mo kids while climbing in and out of my BU. Whew! :innocent: that was definitely that hardest part.

Now to my question, what has everyone done to the seat bottoms? More specifically the seat cleats on the bottom of the seats. Seams to me that the pressure from a person sitting on the seat pressing on the tank from the cleats could damage the tank. I know liljohn carpeted the top of his tank. will this protect the tank? With my install the seats dont seem to be completely level as it was before. Others have stated that theirs came from the factory with a carpeted board placed on top of the tank.

I was thinking of removing the cleats and installing a carpeted board to fill the gap from the top of the tank to the top of the seat support around the edge of the bow. At least that way the seats are contacting something solid as opposed to a plastic tank and a 4" plastic cleat. Any thoughts?

BTW Thanks for posting your install LilJohn you :rockon:

I have yet to complete my tank install...too many things on the "honey do" list. But I did order all the parts. On the stock installs, at least in 2006, there was a 1/2" think piece of carpeted UHMW that fits over the tank. It fills almost the entire bow area and protects the tank from being damaged as well as spreads out the weight. The seat cushions also do not have the cleats on the bottom of them, they just lay flat on this carpeted panel.

I have yet to complete my tank install...too many things on the "honey do" list. But I did order all the parts. On the stock installs, at least in 2006, there was a 1/2" think piece of carpeted UHMW that fits over the tank. It fills almost the entire bow area and protects the tank from being damaged as well as spreads out the weight. The seat cushions also do not have the cleats on the bottom of them, they just lay flat on this carpeted panel.

Yeah that was what I remember reading awhile back, but could not find the exact post. With my 2006 VLX the 2 outer seats both have cleats 2 ea that hold the seat firmly in place. The little triangle formed and center portions dont have the cleats. Thanks for the response I will looks for some UHMW or at the very least use plywood coated in fiberglass resin. $ permitting.

BTW the install was extremely easy. All the wires are there as lilJohn eluded. On my particular boat the wires all has barrel connectors on them so all i needed to was trim to length and connect them to the pumps. Fishing the fill hose was the only thing that needed a little patients. Especially if you dont have a fish tape. I used a clothes hanger. Prolly contributed to a few choice words :innocent: , but I got it done.

OK....you guys finally shamed me in to finishing this project. Needed to get it done before WOW. I have the tank and wiring all done, but have a question concerning the plumbing. It looks to me like the rear, top hole is higher than the front hole. Which did you all use for fill and which one for overflow/vent? It would appear that maybe the front should be used for fill and use the top rear one for vent since it sits higher?????? Also, how did you run your tubing to the tank, did you drill new holes or pass it through somewhere else?

Thanks!

I used the front hole for the vent. thats what the factory diagram showed. the hose I ran up and over the bulk head between the driver area and bow. It made sence being that you had to get above the tank to reach the antisiphon and the thru hulls are above that point as well.

I used the front hole for the vent. thats what the factory diagram showed. the hose I ran up and over the bulk head between the driver area and bow. It made sence being that you had to get above the tank to reach the antisiphon and the thru hulls are above that point as well.

Thanks! the more I looked at it the more your method made sense. Finally I am done with this two year project. Nothing like the pressure of meeting up with fellow TMC members to get me off my backside and get things done.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to put adding a bow bag to the front for my winter project on my VTX. I like the fact I can get a bit more wieght with it. My big question is where did you guys drill the intake hole? Also a side note, were you able to set the computer to see your fronts tanks fill so it shows on the dash?

I'm trying to put adding a bow bag to the front for my winter project on my VTX. I like the fact I can get a bit more wieght with it. My big question is where did you guys drill the intake hole? Also a side note, were you able to set the computer to see your fronts tanks fill so it shows on the dash?

computer is already setup and pre wired for the bow ballast. just need to search for the wires under the dash and in the center hole in the floor. as for the fill pump I just used the T-handle in the center floor door. been meaning to drill a hole but never got around to it. I'm a little nervous about drilling below the water line. sure everything will be fine but nervous non the less.

So does the factory tank have electronics alraqdy installed for the computer?

Plugging it into the center plug is a great idea and just made me feel 100 times more comfortable doing this upgrade

• 1 year later...

I am going to do this modification to my boat and am in the process of ordering the parts. My boat already has a "T" handle thru hull fitting in the area of where the mid ship tank is. Question - Is the one listed on the parts list different than what I already have on my boat? Do I need to swap it out with this one because the threads are different? Or can I use the existing fitting and thread the pump down in it ?

I read thru this write up and didn't see where this was mentioned specifically... Sorry if I missed it.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1219

pumpthruhull_LG.jpg

Edited by NorrisMike

I am going to do this modification to my boat and am in the process of ordering the parts. My boat already has a "T" handle thru hull fitting in the area of where the mid ship tank is. Question - Is the one listed on the parts list different than what I already have on my boat? Do I need to swap it out with this one because the threads are different? Or can I use the existing fitting and thread the pump down in it ?

I read thru this write up and didn't see where this was mentioned specifically... Sorry if I missed it.

http://www.bakesonli...il.aspx?ID=1219

pumpthruhull_LG.jpg

I also ordered everything, but the one already installed is the exact same part.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this thread is years old but about to do this to my about to be new to me 2011 23LSV. From what I can see all the electronics are pre wired but I am wondering is the air circulation tub pre ran too or do I have to run that? Where does the drain ballast pump go? I understand the fill pump goes by the center pump. Lastly is Bakes still the best place to order all the material from?
Thanks for the help.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have a good Malibu dealer contact number? I'm in Phoenix and I'm trying to buy the parts to do this bow hard tank upgrade but Boulder Boats wants $850 just for tank and carpeted pieces

Does anyone have a good Malibu dealer contact number? I'm in Phoenix and I'm trying to buy the parts to do this bow hard tank upgrade but Boulder Boats wants $850 just for tank and carpeted pieces

Aws in Oregon city had one in stock. They may have more or be able to order it. They were more than bakes quoted earlier in the thread but I bought a boat there so it made sense.

Al in parts should have all the parts fresh in his mind!

Anyone take the tank out and put a bag in? It seems like you could get a bag to fill in the space a lot better than the tank does.

I am about to be going from not having a tank upfront to putting in a tank, so if you are wanting to go the other direction to put in a bag let me know cause I will have the base you need and the seat hardware. It would be a lot easier to go that route, I just wanted to have the factory tank and also have a 1100 pound sac that goes ontop of the seats.

Edited by 11LSV15