Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tires

medicdiver

Tires  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand of Trailer Tires do you use

• Goodyear Marathon
    • Carlisle
    • Loadstar
    • Another Brand
    • I use car tires, not trailer tires
    • Boat stays in water, no trailer
  2. 2. How old are your tires?

• 1 Year
    • 2 Years
    • 3 Years
    • 4 Years
    • 5 Years
    • > 5 years
  3. 3. Do you replace your tires before they fail?

• Yes, I replace them every year
    • Yes, I replace them every two years
    • Yes, I replace them every 3 years
    • I replace the boat before the tires go bad
    • No, I wait for them to fail, then replace.

Can't remember the brand that came on my 09' extreme trailer but they aren't the carlisle that came on the last one and seem to be a much nicer/beefier tire than the carlisle or marathons I've run in the past. These are more like a radial with good traction, wide footprint, etc.. I like them.

• 2 months later...
I inspect my (3) trailers tires continuously and replace when failure looks imminent. The tires on my fold down camper are the originals from 1986. I'm holding Armstrong to their lifetime guarantee. Their probably not even in business any more, don't know.
electric John, a quick check gives the folowing info for Armstrong

Armstrong Inc Tires

4315 Bourbon Rd

Muscotah, KS 66058

785-872-3721

Some research revealed that Armstrong was brought up by Pirrelli, then put down. The address and phone number still seem valid though. I will try to call them monday (8-10-09) just for fun.

My 07 VLX came w/ Goodyear Marathons. They are only 2 years old, but they seemed good shape until a curb jumped in front of me.

I opted for a Maxxiss for the spare since that is what Discount could get at the time.

FWIW, I've had 2 friends w/ 05 boats w/ Goodyear Marathons, and ALL of those tires have blown prematurely. I suspect there was some sort of factory defect w/ those tires around that time frame, but since trailer tires are such an insignificant portion of real tires, nothing came of it.

I also think Goodyear was making Carlisle around that time. So, if you have a GY/Carlisle tire from the 05 timeframe, you should probably keep an eye on your tires. My GY are dated end of 06, and I didn't see the bubbling effect that my unfortunate friends did.

I may very well just put light truck tires on the thing next time - what's so special about a trailer tire? Except that it is a 'marine' tire and people will just pay the extra $$.