Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mooring Whips! How do you attach yours?

HicVic

[[Template forums/front/topics/postContainer is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
I have a 2005 VLX and just bought some Dock Edge 12ft 5000LB mooring whips. Was wondering and looking for some suggestions on where and how you attach them to your VLX and dock, ie. spacing distance of the whips on the dock and what cleats and eyes used on the boat.

Thanks

Hicvic, I have 2008 Wakesetter which has retractable cleats. I placed my 14ft whips directly out from the cleats and used an upgraded pedestal which has a "rocker arm base" which retracts the whips when not in use. I live in an area with lots of boat traffic and occassional strong winds so my system incorporates six lines (one from each whip, two springlines, and one each straight out to the boat from the pedestal).This keeps the boat from drifting too far forward/rear inrelation to the whips and the two straight lines keep the whips from pushing the boat too far out. Sounds like alot but once you have them all the correct lenghts then it goes quickly. I must admit that the small cleats get a bit crowded. The spread between the cleats is not as far as the whips should be ideally mounted but again you have to work with what you are given and they have held through one busy summer and heading for the next. Hope this helps, can add pictures later if still uncertain

etherbunny

Thanks etherbunny all the info I get the better. Just looking to see if somebody has figured out a better way to hook up a VLX than what the instructions say. Thanks again.

Not to hijack the thread...... but does anybody have any recommendations on where to buy some Whips? Im looking to install some soon and would love to see some pics if anybody has any.

Thanks

C

Thanks etherbunny all the info I get the better. Just looking to see if somebody has figured out a better way to hook up a VLX than what the instructions say. Thanks again.

I used the instructions. hooked the front up to the bow and the rear to the transom (dockside). i use the pop up cleats to attach short spring line to the dock. the whips want to keep the boat away from the doc the spring lines keep the boat near, but not too near, the dock. you will also need lines to keep the boat from moving too far forward or too far backward.

didn't mean to be snotty in my first post.

I know a lot of people, including myself, that have used 2" PVC tubing bought from Lowe's or Home Depot and made our own. I installed a home-made set at my wife's old house and secured my VLX there for at least a season with no problem. Several others on our lake have the home-made version as well, and have had them in use for 3 - 5 years with no problems other than occasionally changing out the rope. I will be installing a set at our new house as well in the coming months. I believe I bought all of the parts for under $50.

JV

Not to hijack the thread...... but does anybody have any recommendations on where to buy some Whips? Im looking to install some soon and would love to see some pics if anybody has any.

Thanks

C

I've been thinking about using these but I'm not sure yet how my boat cleats will line up to the dock. I'm going to be sharing an outside berth with another boat and the VLX is going to stick out past the end of the dock.

I know a lot of people, including myself, that have used 2" PVC tubing bought from Lowe's or Home Depot and made our own. I installed a home-made set at my wife's old house and secured my VLX there for at least a season with no problem. Several others on our lake have the home-made version as well, and have had them in use for 3 - 5 years with no problems other than occasionally changing out the rope. I will be installing a set at our new house as well in the coming months. I believe I bought all of the parts for under $50.

JV

thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

Sorry, but I didn't have any of the pictures at work to post in my earlier post. Here's 2 pictures, but the detail isn't all that great, but it's all that I've got for now.

JV

Home-Made Mooring Whips

Edit: I guess you'll have to use the link above to view the pictures...

They came with recommendations on how to install them. Follow those.

He was just asking a question, bad day at work? I did and now my friend Budweiser is helping :)

So yall are using 6 ropes to secure your boat with the whips? The 2 Whips, 2 straight lines to the pop out cleats, and 2 to keep it from moving forward and backward?

Wouldnt the two straight line ropes accomplish that?

So yall are using 6 ropes to secure your boat with the whips? The 2 Whips, 2 straight lines to the pop out cleats, and 2 to keep it from moving forward and backward?

Wouldnt the two straight line ropes accomplish that?

if the lines to the cleats were crossed, that would work for sure. the other 2 are just backup.

I've used whips at my friend's house on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. It get's really rough up there on the weekends and the whips held my boat off the dock all day long. I attached one to the front D-ring on the bow and the other to the D-ring on the transom. I then ran two more spring lines from the dock to the bow and transom. If you have the lines all setup and use some stainless caribena type clips, it's really easy to get everything hooked up. The spring lines and the whips can be attached to the same clip so you just attach the two clips to your boat and you're done. I didn't use the pop up cleats because I wanted to be able to cover the boat at night and we don't have the holes cut out in the cover for the cleats, so the D-rings worked out just as good when using the clips. That's what we use at our boat slip on the river too. I have a whole other rigging system set up there! No whips involved, just some PVC pipe and more stainless clips.

This picture doesn't show you much, but this is it on the dock with the whips. The whips aren't really big enough for the boat, but they already had them there and they served their purpose for the weekend!

BoatatLakeHouse.jpg

Edited by jtrovato
Sorry, but I didn't have any of the pictures at work to post in my earlier post. Here's 2 pictures, but the detail isn't all that great, but it's all that I've got for now.

thanks! Thumbup.gif

I added some more detailed pictures of the home-made mooring whips under the link above for anyone that's interested.

JV

• 4 years later...

Has anyone figured a way to stop the whip lines from rubbing the Bimini top, without having to remove the Bimini each time you Moore?

Has anyone figured a way to stop the whip lines from rubbing the Bimini top, without having to remove the Bimini each time you Moore?

Where are you connecting the whip on the boat? I'm assuming the cleat right next to the windshield? I would suggest moving the whip further up and connecting it to the D-ring on the bow. It will move it away from the bimini and you won't have any issues anymore.