Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive ballast

WakeGirl

So I'm putting together a list of things to buy for the new boat (fun fun fun!) & on my list is ballast sacks for the rear compartments.  We want to plumb in a sack for each compartment to allow us to surf a good wave even when we don't have a boatload of people.  So on the new VLXs, what are you guys using?  I'm looking at the Fly High Pro X series sacks, but it seems like you should be able to get a bigger sack than 400 lbs in there.  The other brands that have v-drive sacks are even smaller.  I'm not worried about collapsing the built in tank because we won't be using the aftermarket sack unless the tank underneath is full.  That should retain its integrity.  Thoughts?  Anyone have measurements for those compartments?

I have the Pro X V-drive sacs that hold 400 lbs each. I have them plumbed in and on a seperate set of switches so they're independently controlled. The sacs sit directly on the floor without reinforcement and I've had no problems. Granted, this has been a light year for us because of my knee issues so we've only got 75 hrs on the new Bu. With the extra 400 my VLX produces a great surf wake. The quality of the sac is outstanding and they fit quite nicely. With them filled there is still room for a couple of life jackets on top. I wouldn't go any bigger or you'll risk putting pressure on the engine side-wall. The great things about these sacs are that they hold their shape well - minimizing the load on that thin wall.

If you're interested I can get some pics of the switch mounts and/or plumbing configuration.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Mazeing5

• Woody26

• Spenser309

Thanks Lou, that's the kind of info that I was looking for. Those sacks are all set up the way that I want, with 3 valves (1 located at the bottom). I would be interested in seeing some pics if you don't mind. Do you fill the stock tanks first, or do you just not worry about it? Did you have room on the dash for the extra switches? What kind of pumps did you use? I've been searching for a good source for some high speed pumps & have come up empty (although I haven't really looked that hard).

Just T off of the fill line to the new sack. The tank will fill before the sack gets much water in it. I also T into the drain. I have a skylon 540 in each locker and it works great. The drain and fill time for the tank and the sack are about the same as the center factory tank.

Do you use the sacks for wakeboarding as well? Our plan wasn't to do that, it seems like there would be too much weight in the rear. We just want it for surfing. When you drain, does the sack empty first (it seems like it would)?

I usually don't use the sacs for wakeboarding. I put them in for the same reason you are. I also keep 4-50lb steel plates in the boat. During normal conditions they sit on the floor in the walkthrough. When we surf I move them to the back corner. If you plan to use the sacs for wakeboarding you will need some more weight in the front, even if you have the front tank.

I put in a ball valve between the t and the sac in case i don't want the sac to fill. Its there if I need it but I never seem to use them. Leave the fill hose from the t to the sac a little linger that you think you will need. Some times you have to grab the fill and of the sac and lift it to get the last bit of water out of it and into the drain pump.

They both drain at the same time. The tank usually finishes first its smaller.

Run a search a WSR and there are install details with photos

Edited by painterdrew
I usually don't use the sacs for wakeboarding.  I put them in for the same reason you are.  I also keep 4-50lb steel plates in the boat.  During normal conditions they sit on the floor in the walkthrough.  When we surf I move them to the back corner. If you plan to use the sacs for wakeboarding you will need some more weight in the front, even if you have the front tank. 

I put in a ball valve between the t and the sac in case i don't want the sac to fill.  Its there if I need it but I never seem to use them.  Leave the fill hose from the t to the sac a little linger that you think you will need.  Some times you have to grab the fill and of the sac and lift it to get the last bit of water out of it and into the drain pump.

They both drain at the same time.  The tank usually finishes first its smaller.

Run a search a WSR and there are install details with photos

Cool. I had thought that if we ever used those sacks for boarding that we'd need a large sack in the bow walkway to compensate, & the whole goal here is to have sacks tucked away & completely (at least mostly) automated. Thanks for the input.

I just completed an auto ballast system 8/11. It will be tested this weekend.

I used Jabsco reversible pumps. It uses the pro x v-drive sacs and a pro x bow sac. I created a manifold with three valves just for the passenger side. The driver side just has its own v-drive sac/pump. They are labelled WAKE,SURF, and BOW. To wakeboard turn on the WAKE valve and the BOW valve. It fills just the v-drive sacs and the bow sac. If you want to surf, empty the BOW sac and fill the SURF

tank (which is the stock tank) The BOW sac is plumbed from the back pump up the passenger side under the seats and into the bow through the little storage area and has a quick connect fitting for removal. (I could probably also use it to spray others) Tongue.gif I took pictures and will be posting them after this weekend. Oh and by the way the floor definitely will support a lot of weight. I was standing in the compartments all week with hardly any flex in the floor and I am not light. No.gif

I put a 750 on the side of mine when we wakesurf. There has not been any problems with it. I have the side sacs (250lbs) fly high for riding, but I just ordered the 400's for it to see the differences, I ordered mine form http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=28 they have all the fittings, mine is auto with a seperate switch on each side. search the form for the pictures of my install http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....topic=1167&hl=.. they also carry all the fitings for the sacs and they ship righ away.

later

Edited by lake texoma
Where did you guys get these Pro-X sacks...  Have a link?

Was out last night with JKlein and NorCaliBu and found the bilge running after about 30min of riding... had a significant sack failure - which of course we fixed with duct tape  Thumbup.gif    ... I don't think this sack (launch pad 540) has much life left in it

I ordered mine from www.wakeside.com

:Doh: uh - scrolling down (on the wakeside site) helps ;)

You can also order custom sizes and configurations:

http://www.barefootinternational.com/fatsac.htm

They also have all the fittings in the world to adapt the Tsunami pump to anything...

Dave

Edited by RoverOn

I just got my pro-x V-drive sacks (and the pro-x brick). I haven't filled them yet, but they will be perfect for my needs...

WOW, these Pro-X Fat-sacs are VERY nice......

JZ

I'm just guessing that those bags will be too large to fit in the compartments when they're full. Of course I could be wrong. Most of the v-drive specific bags top out around 4-500 lbs, & I've got to believe that at 750 it will be too long or too wide or maybe both. I'm pretty sure that on one of the sites that I saw them advertised on had dimensions, so you could measure your compartments & go from there. From the comments above it sounds like they hold their form pretty well as opposed to most ballast bags that have to stretch out to get the full advertised weight out of them.

can you tie them to the hull so they dont slide into the engine divider? I just dont want them rolling into the engine compartment. Lol what a steam that would be.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Pro X Series v-drive sacs today along with the new pump. I probably called 8 vendors before I found this place that blew all the others out of the water as far as price goes. They will even call Fly High directly and have your stuff shipped straight from them.

The House

I've never used these guys before but they were super nice and their prices were BY FAR the best. Nobody wants to work with you on pricing for this particular product but these guys did.

So are we all agreeing that the 400 lb sacs will NOT crush the tanks under the floor in the rear compartments of the 2005's?

I hope so...I guess I will find out next week.

• 2 weeks later...
So are we all agreeing that the 400 lb sacs will NOT crush the tanks under the floor in the rear compartments of the 2005's?

I have the twin 400's, and love them. I mainly use them for surfing, but have used them for boarding also. I just move my lead to the walk-through, and the wake smokes! I have not had any problems with the weight over the tanks. I have also put both in the same rear v-drive and no problems there either. The service guy said the main problem you would probably have is with the sender for you tank level. If you compress the tank very much, it could break the float mechanism in the tank. No problems with mine so far. I have probably put both sacks on the same side about 10-12 times. I don't use the tank level guages anyway. I have stood on the floor over the tanks, and it felt pretty darn sturdy.

I have the twin 400's, and love them. I mainly use them for surfing, but have used them for boarding also. I just move my lead to the walk-through, and the wake smokes! I have not had any problems with the weight over the tanks. I have also put both in the same rear v-drive and no problems there either. The service guy said the main problem you would probably have is with the sender for you tank level. If you compress the tank very much, it could break the float mechanism in the tank. No problems with mine so far. I have probably put both sacks on the same side about 10-12 times. I don't use the tank level guages anyway. I have stood on the floor over the tanks, and it felt pretty darn sturdy.

When you put both on one side do you stack them or set them side by side? If side by side, do they press on the engine compartment wall?

When you put both on one side do you stack them or set them side by side? If side by side, do they press on the engine compartment wall?

I put one on top of the other. I fill the bottom one, and fill the top one probably 80-90%. They seem to fit fine, and don't seem to be pushing much on anything. If anything, the boat is leaned out, and the sacks are pushing towards the outside.. Still room to close the hatch too!