Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-Drive ballast

WakeGirl

So I'm putting together a list of things to buy for the new boat (fun fun fun!) & on my list is ballast sacks for the rear compartments. We want to plumb in a sack for each compartment to allow us to surf a good wave even when we don't have a boatload of people. So on the new VLXs, what are you guys using? I'm looking at the Fly High Pro X series sacks, but it seems like you should be able to get a bigger sack than 400 lbs in there. The other brands that have v-drive sacks are even smaller. I'm not worried about collapsing the built in tank because we won't be using the aftermarket sack unless the tank underneath is full. That should retain its integrity. Thoughts? Anyone have measurements for those compartments?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Mazeing5

• Woody26

• SacRiverRat

I just went through the same debate (with myself) yesterday - I ordered the ProX V-drive sacs - I'll let you know how they fit (once I get them and get a chance to try them out). I also ordered the "Brick" to help balance the weight a little too.

JZ

I have one Pro X-Series fat sac (rated at 750 lbs) and am impressed with the quality. This thing seems bomb proof. Very solid. It fits snugly into the rear compartment and with the Tsunami pump it fills-up rather quickly. The quick connect adaptors for the Tsunami pump significantly reduce accidental spillage.

I also have the Launch Pad Single Coverless (rated at 540 lbs) too, but the quality does not compare to the Pro X and the waterbed adaptor fitting just doesn't cut the mustard.

My next goal is to hard wire all of it so I don't have to manually fill them up.

The new Pro X sacs are awesome. Haven't tried the V-drive sacs but I have a normal Pro X fat sac as well as a tube sac. The normal sac is HUGE. It is a little shorter than older fat sacs but much wider and basically fills up all the floor in the rear seating area when full so I imagine its 750 lb. claim isn't a lie.

One of those would defintely fill up a rear compartment and then some if you want a ton of weight. The only possibel concern would be it might be putting a bit of force on everythign sicne it would be wiser than the compartment.

Remember, on the new VLX the rear ballast are under a relatively weak false floor in the back, and there's a sticker warning against putting over 75 lbs in there.

Any of you that responded with the huge sacks in back, do you have the under-floor ballast? I doubt it could hold a 750lb sack, heh.

Filling the tank underneath would make no difference in the capacity. Think about it. The tank has a free-flow overflow tube. If any pressure was put on it, the water would gush right out, not providing any extra support. Only if the tank could build pressure would it supply support.

I think it can easily hold a lot more than 75 lbs, but how much? The world wants to know. :)

Edited by Boomer

i have the pro-x seat sac(580+ lbs) and it seems, like some said before, "bomb-proof". it is awesome. for your new boat i might suggest the nautique cheese wedge sacs. i only say that because boomer said it could be bad to load too much water in the trunks.

other than that, BIGGER IS BETTER!!

Remember, on the new VLX the rear ballast are under a relatively weak false floor in the back, and there's a sticker warning against putting over 75 lbs in there.

Any of you that responded with the huge sacks in back, do you have the under-floor ballast? I doubt it could hold a 750lb sack, heh.

Filling the tank underneath would make no difference in the capacity. Think about it. The tank has a free-flow overflow tube. If any pressure was put on it, the water would gush right out, not providing any extra support. Only if the tank could build pressure would it supply support.

I think it can easily hold a lot more than 75 lbs, but how much? The world wants to know. :)

I agree with Boomer's logic, I have the same concern.

Joe

There's got to be supports under the floorboard. The floor isn't 'resting' on the tank. If there was a way to lay some flat 2x4 aluminum, or something very strong and ridgid, then you could put the tanks on top of that. Assuming the 2x4's were long enough to stretch over the supports, and not lay just on top of the tanks.

Wish we had pictures from the factory of what's under the floor back there.

In some of the 05 build pics, somewhere there was a picture of the under floor tanks without the floor. I wonder if Ellery would send us a picture. Justin? Want to ask her or Amy?

I do not have the factory ballasts in my Sunscape....so does that mean mine may have more support to hold the fat sac in the rear compartment??

Tracie, I don't think it would be difficult to reinforce it. Basically the tanks have a false floor over them that is not glassed into the hull, but on the engine side is the stringer that goes all the way back. You could put another, stronger false floor over the existing one, on top of the stringers and somehow attached to the sides. I'm not sure how you could attach it to the side though... just don't drill through the side of the boat, k? :)

This false floor goes about 18-inches in front of the seats as well, into the main cabin. If you remove the rear corner seat cushions, you can see the false floor area. Just in front if it, where the ballast tanks end, is the real floor, glassed in.

I do not have the factory ballasts in my Sunscape....so does that mean mine may have more support to hold the fat sac in the rear compartment??

IIRC they fill the void under the floor with foam.

Almost forgot you will be fine.

Edited by tmcb

Where did you guys get these Pro-X sacks... Have a link?

Was out last night with JKlein and NorCaliBu and found the bilge running after about 30min of riding... had a significant sack failure - which of course we fixed with duct tape Thumbup.gif ... I don't think this sack (launch pad 540) has much life left in it

Where did you guys get these Pro-X sacks...  Have a link?

Was out last night with JKlein and NorCaliBu and found the bilge running after about 30min of riding... had a significant sack failure - which of course we fixed with duct tape  Thumbup.gif    ... I don't think this sack (launch pad 540) has much life left in it

I ordered mine from www.wakeside.com

Was out last night with JKlein and NorCaliBu and found the bilge running after about 30min of riding... had a significant sack failure - which of course we fixed with duct tape  Thumbup.gif    ... I don't think this sack (launch pad 540) has much life left in it

I ordered mine from www.wakeside.com

:Doh: uh - scrolling down (on the wakeside site) helps ;)

Troy,

Do you think it is the quality of the sac, or the location of the sac that is the problem? In other words, do you think you would have the same problem with the Pro-X used the way you use them (soft sacs in rear lockers with gear stored on top of them)?

Troy,

Do you think it is the quality of the sac, or the location of the sac that is the problem? In other words, do you think you would have the same problem with the Pro-X used the way you use them (soft sacs in rear lockers with gear stored on top of them)?

The sack failed on the seam - I think it was due to the quality of the sack, and maybe a over-fill or something. The sack vents, by pushing water past the drain pump, and out the hose. It requires a bit of pressure to do that, which might be more pressure than the launch pads were designed for. Wasn't real impressed with the launch pads - they were ok, but I'd like to have something that was tougher... so I wouldn't have to keep an eye on them when filling

In some of the 05 build pics, somewhere there was a picture of the under floor tanks without the floor. I wonder if Ellery would send us a picture. Justin? Want to ask her or Amy?

Email has been sent.

Troy,

The sack failed on the seam - I think it was due to the quality of the sack, and maybe a over-fill or something. The sack vents, by pushing water past the drain pump, and out the hose. It requires a bit of pressure to do that, which might be more pressure than the launch pads were designed for. Wasn't real impressed with the launch pads - they were ok, but I'd like to have something that was tougher... so I wouldn't have to keep an eye on them when filling

Troy,

You may want to think about re-routing the vent line to just past the empty pump, or if you don't have a separate line for the vent, maybe think about plumbing one in. Good insurance to have IMO.

Troy,

Troy,

You may want to think about re-routing the vent line to just past the empty pump, or if you don't have a separate line for the vent, maybe think about plumbing one in. Good insurance to have IMO.

The stock locker sack doesn't use a vent - but I guess it is contained by the space that it is in, instead of the sack itself (like my rear locker sack)

I'd prefer not to have to run 3 large lines (guess I could use a smaller hose).. since I like to move the sack a bit when empty to make room to store tons of gear/boards etc..

Think I'll convert to the pro-x sacks