Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu over Mastercraft?

Travis

Malibu? or the Dark Side!  

317 members have voted

1. 1. If you could own either one without the conflict of money, which one would you own

• Malibu
    • Mastercraft
    • Other
  2. 2. Would you ever rent one to see how they actually perform?

• Yeah, I have been pretty interested
    • No, I'm gewd
    • I did and I like Malibu
    • I did but they cost too much

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandbagger

• Travis

• Bill_AirJunky

• Ndawg12

I agree with duckguy.

All the boats appear to be well made and do what they promise. On my last boat hunt I not only was interested in the boats but wanted to get a feel for the dealerships. To me that was a major deciding factor. Everyone of the boats I looked at would have satisfied my needs; they all had short comings. In the end I choose Malibu.

As far as what duckguy says, I agree that you will get a one side'ed answer from most people here. And maybe some people here do want reasurance that they made the right choice in their boat choice, whats wrong with that? Dontknow.gif As far as the other brands of boats that you mention, they were not in the thread just mastercraft. IMO there is nothing about a mastercraft that can justify the higher cost of their boat. That being said, Malibu prices are getting out of hand also. I love my malibu and when we bought it we spent more time looking at mastercrafts and was very close to going that way, but it all came down to service and your dealer. The Dealer we work with(listed below) Whistling.gif makes us feel like family and has a great team of guys to work with and that is (to us) HUGE!!! Thumbup.gif

Edited by txwakejunkie

I bought a 07 Malibu VLX after almost going with an 04 xstar and I have been pretty honest with my assessment.

VLX has better handling and performance.

VLX looks better on the trailer, both VLX and xstar look good in the water.

LX has a better tower, MC rattles.

MC has better board racks.

As for snap in carpet and molded in seats, who really cares when it comes right down to it? I know the interior of the VLX is more appealing though.

The pickle fork might as well be a scoop that takes water up over the bow and how many times would you actually use the bow ladder anyway (well maybe the kids would).

Service for either brand would depend on the dealer. Our MC dealer probably gives good service but so does my Malibu dealer, for me it was the sale tactics, did not like MC tactics at all.

Price speaks for itself.

Having said that lets face it, the xstar makes a great wake, it is just easy and smooth, great for getting big air especially for beginning boarders. The VLX makes a great wake too, just is a lot steeper and takes a little more practice and timing compared to the xstar, but stoc to stockI think the VLX has bigger wake potential; load that xstar to 4,000 lbs though and I do not think any brand boat can touch its wake wuality. The surf wake on the VLX is superior to the xstar.

As far as attitudes, my xstar owner friends do not even care to test my VLX, they think there's is just far superior; I on the other hand will gladly ride behind either; less wear and tear on my boat though.

I still do not get comparing boats to cars though.

Thats what we are talking about..

So their even un-original in their marketing?

I will admit however, this one is pretty funny, and pretty true...

Even being a Corvette owner, I think the "Mallivette" is pretty lame.

-Keith

Man a lot of hating on Mastercraft here, I think they've done a lot of cool things lately. Their factory boat wraps are really cool and think its a great way to add a unique look for a relativley cheap price. Also hands down nobody can touch their racks and if you think the malivue is an original idea by Malibu you're wrong, the vdig came out first but i will say Malibu really out did them on it. The X-Star really shines when running a lot of weight too, not by how it drives (all weighted boats are terrible) but how you can hide 4000lbs and the whole cabin is not cluttered and still can have a lot of people is real nice. My VLX gets super crowded when running weight and more then 5 people because nobody can hang in the bow but I will say its well worth it for the mackin wake that beast throws. As far as dealers go I'm not gonna mention names but the local MC dealer is way friendlier then the Bu dealer, if I ever reach a point where my future company can afford a boat I will opt for the X-Star over the Wakesetter due to this fact.

I guess what really annoys me is such a deep brand loyalty that people turn a blind eye to what other companies are doing and refuse to acknowlegge that. Both companies make great boats that appeal to different types of people. Back in 2005 when we bought our boat it was between the X-Star and the VLX but some small complications like our channel depth and our boat lift made the decision real easy (plus the 05 X-Star graphic was FUGLY Shocking.gif ) but MC has stepped up their game since then and I feel today the decision would not have been near as easy.

Edited by mracrew

Honestly if price and dealer were not an issue I would go mastercraft. So much storage space and I do like the little bit more bling factor that it has. Also, pickle forks are only good for 'collecting water' if you are a bad driver. Any sac'd out boat can dunk the bow if you dont know how to drive. I do think that malibu's put out a better surf wake stock, but mastercrafts just need alot of tinkering and alot of weight and they can get a great surf wake too. In terms of wakeboarding behind the boats stock I would probably take MC (just my preference). Also, just remember that for every arrogant/terrible MC dealer there is probably a malibu one just like that some place.

Edited by hco
Also, pickle forks are only good for 'collecting water' if you are a bad driver.

That is not true, the xstar does take on more water no matter who is driving. A better driver will compensate the situation however, no one is that good of a driver to stop water from coming over the bow of an xstar. They have snap in carpet and drain holes for a reason, LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
I guess the biggest thing I have against the MC is the attitude and mindset of the MC owners and sales people, that better than thou attitude, I blame that on the dealers and the factory, I guess thats the only way to sell them, "your better than a Malibu boat" you couldn't pay me to own a MC! I just can't get by all the Attitude!

Well here's an MC owner without an attitude Whistling.gif I've had a MC for a while now but also have friends with BUs & CCs and like their boats too Rockon.gif

My boat does exactly what we want it to do so I'll stick with MC but read my signature Yahoo.gif

001-24.jpg

I spent some time in a MC 197 last summer and it was a really nice boat. If I was in the market for a new boat and the price was comparable to a RLX I would definitely consider one. I don't know that I would pay a premium for one but at a comparable price point it would be a tough choice.

I took the virtual 360 tour on Wakeboard mag's website and honestly, from that, i think that Malibu's have the nicest dashes. Mastercraft and Tige's just looked ugly to me. Everyone's style is different, but I just like the large guages and design of the Malibu dashes.

All I know is when you get into a Malibu and sit down in the luxurious sectional seating and all the space in the 23lsv with tons of storage and the 2 30 pack holding cooler there really just is not any competition IMHO and over all I think MC are awsome but for how we use our boat Malibu does it best. Wake, Family, Party Malibu is it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my 2000 Response for nine years now and it has been a great boat and still is a great boat. We plan on moving to our land in Missouri in the next 3 - 5 years that is on a big lake. So we started looking at deeper boats because the Response in big water can be a little scary sometimes. I was originally all set on the Mastercraft X2, went out and test drove it, hydrofoiled behind it, went through all of the options and spec'd one out. Then I discovered that it would not fit through my 7' garage door :unsure: The dealer (which is the same one I purchased my Response from who now sells MC) really tried to find solutions to my problem but none of them were very easy. So we decided to go look at Tige, Supra, and Malibu. The first Malibu that we drove was a VTX with diamond hull and the Hammerhead, if I would have closed my eyes I would have thought I was in my Response!! Biggrin.gif That was the nail in the coffin for all of the other boats!! I ended up ordering a VLX with diamond hull and the Hammerhead, I absolutely love my boat and I'm still amazed that a 21.5 foot V-drive can handle like my Response. Yahoo.gif As far as I'm concerned this boat can run circles around the X2 when it comes to handling. There are some things that I liked better in the MC over the Bu, but by far there were more things I like in the Bu. They are both great boats, but I prefer the Bu! Rockon.gif

Just my .02 cents

Terry

...... that a 21.5 foot V-drive can handle like my Response.

Terry

Nice. Gotta love that.

I came from a 94 MC 205. I had that boat because we liked to do ski shows, towing two foil riders, hot pickups, doing Around the Boat or even a double ATB. Their boat tricks that can usually only be done behind a DD. The 205 handled them perfectly.

In the early 2000s, I had numerous friends with Malibu v-drives. They all weighted them down & had nice wakes. But I always thought they drove like tugboats...... great in a straight line, but turned like crap. So I never wanted one.

I have two friends with XTIs. After hanging around with them, I like the interior. And they drive like a DD..... funny since they are a DD. But my when it came to us choosing a new boat, my wife stuck to her guns & wanted a v-drive, because of the room & the social aspect. I finally broke down & drove one of the newer v-drives. The Gorilla fins, bigger props & high HP engines really make these boats drive like their a lot smaller. It's not exactly like my 205, but not bad at all. Quick holeshot, even weighted, tracks great & can turn an Around the Boat nicely.

Congrats on the new boat. Enjoy. We're on our 2nd summer with the Vride & love it.

...... that a 21.5 foot V-drive can handle like my Response.

Terry

Nice. Gotta love that.

I came from a 94 MC 205. I had that boat because we liked to do ski shows, towing two foil riders, hot pickups, doing Around the Boat or even a double ATB. Their boat tricks that can usually only be done behind a DD. The 205 handled them perfectly.

In the early 2000s, I had numerous friends with Malibu v-drives. They all weighted them down & had nice wakes. But I always thought they drove like tugboats...... great in a straight line, but turned like crap. So I never wanted one.

I have two friends with XTIs. After hanging around with them, I like the interior. And they drive like a DD..... funny since they are a DD. But my when it came to us choosing a new boat, my wife stuck to her guns & wanted a v-drive, because of the room & the social aspect. I finally broke down & drove one of the newer v-drives. The Gorilla fins, bigger props & high HP engines really make these boats drive like their a lot smaller. It's not exactly like my 205, but not bad at all. Quick holeshot, even weighted, tracks great & can turn an Around the Boat nicely.

Congrats on the new boat. Enjoy. We're on our 2nd summer with the Vride & love it.

...ever drive a 205 with a lot of weight in it? I drove a weighted 205 this past summer, wake was awesome btw, but it didn't handle noticeably better than my vride.

Just sayin - not trying to start anything.

Yea, I used to run about 800 lbs of lead, pig iron & water in the 205. It still drove good (not great), and had a medium size, firm wake with great pop. It was a happy medium for us. I used to trailer that weight on a tandem axle trailer all the time.

Now the Vride with 900 lbs of ballast, more room for people & gear, and your right it handles pretty nice. Around the Boat is easily doable, although I can't palm it like in the Prostar.

I am new to boating, and we just starting to get into it, my first stop was the MasterCraft dealer, we loved the X2, we went to their DemoDay, and test drove it. I loved the boat but being the first boat I drove and sat in I wanted to look at the other brands. Malibu was demoing their boats the same place and we stoped and talked to the owner of the Malibu dealer. He was nice to show us the boat he had on the water. After that, I completely dropped the masterCraft idea. What I liked the best was how malibu didnt have anything bad to say about the MasterCraft, instead they focused on showing us the boat and telling us more about it.

I liked how the malibu had the carpet covering the side walls of the interior, and how the layout and the design of the seating. the quality of the malibu seemed a lot better than the Mastercraft, the tower design is really cool and unique, the dashboard has better layout, stitched and seemed more like something you would expect to pay 50k plus for, The windshields on the malibu are a lot more advanced and nicer than the other boats out there, I especially like the Dot Matrix around the glass (it feels like a higher end design).also the leg room in the driver side of the Malibu was better design than the mastercraft. To me the mastercraft seemed more like the Centurion, Sanger or the tige but with extra stuff. I haven’t driven the malibu yet but if it drives like the x2 then I would be getting the Malibu without any hesitation.

I know cars from classics to exotics, and if the master craft was a Mercedes Benz (but I really don’t see this beside the price tag of a Mercedes) then the Malibu would be the Bently, but this is just from my point of view and please keep in mind that I am not an expert on boats, nor do I know much about them, I just started and I think Malibu has a lot more to offer. And the price to be honest I thought that the malibu would be more expensive.

I still like the Mastercraft better than Tige Sanger Centurion, or other boats, but I think Malibu is one step ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this, I had a guy on my boat last weekend that owns an x-star, once he pulled me behind the bu' both surfing and wakeboarding, he said that he had never driven a boat that drove as good as mine. He said never before had he ever thought about buying anything other then a Mastercraft, now he is seriously considering trading his for a Bu'.

I'm a Malibu GUY, BUT there are really four areas to consider when deciding on a boat;

1. What are you using the boat for? If you are using it as an all around boat for beginners through expert, I like the adjustability of the Malibu wake and I've found that I'm able to use the VTX for boarding, wake skating, skiing and just all around fun. This is one of the main reasons I bought the smaller VTX. If you want a dedicated HARD CORE wake boat MC might be a better choice, but for that I really prefer the Nautique. Of course other Malibu models can provide the hard core wake, but mine is an all around boat.

2. Luxuries and amenities: Well, Malibu has come a long long way over the years, and now provides a boat that in some ways gives you more amenities, but the touch, fit and finish of the MC is usually higher. This is appealing to the "money is no object crowd", I guess there are a few of these folks left,...because you'll pay more for the MC mainly for the MC BLING. Nautique's styling is a little less appealing, but it is probably a more solid boat than either the MC or Malibu.

3. Quality: This goes WAY beyond the bling factor, and if there is one thing I KNOW about MALIBU it's that the backbone of Malibus are ROCK solid. They don't leak, the fiberglass is generally very good, the design of the hull/stringers, transom, floor, and deck are very good structurally. They will last forever if maintained. MC also makes good boats, but I've heard that in the past there have been more problems with the fiberglass and gelcoat than on Malibus. I've talked to a couple of people who specialize in fiberglass and gelcoat repair and modification. They tell me that Malibu sometimes have problems from the factory, but they see more problems with MCs.

Power trains are important and my impression is that the newer engines and transmissions are reliable in both Malibu and MC. I cannot speak to electrical in the new boats with all the electronics to control ballasts, speed etc., but I can say that I owned my last Malibu for 12 years and it never failed to start NOT EVEN ONCE, I never had problems with the early generation EFI, or any other electrical. I don't even think I had a light bulb go out.

The upholstery quality is very good on both Malibu and MC with a slight edge to MC. The carpeting is good on both, but I usually put a custom removable Berber mat in my boats (easier to clean). The hardware is a little better on the MC. And Malibu has improved their hardware over the years.

Overall the quality comparison between the two evens itself out I'd say, but MC has the bling factor. I think that Nautique is probably higher quality than either though, sorry Malibu fans.

4. The ownership experience is an important part of the equation and it has a few parts to it. Maintenance: This is highly subjective because both manufacturers make high quality boats that require minimal maintenance considering the performance of these boats. Problem is, some people maintain their boats to look and perform like NEW. I'm in this camp, which is why I was able to keep my old Malibu for 12 years and it still looked sharp and ran like new. Other folks don't maintain their boats well either cosmetically or mechanically and plan to sell them after a couple of years. Anyway, both MC and Malibu will give back what you put into them in this regard.

Driving: How the boat drives depends on the model, but to me Malibu has a sportier feel, and of course my VTX is a lighter smaller boat with the same HP, so it drives like a Porsche. When towing wake boarders with ballast all the boats feel like you are driving a PLOW, but I like the switchgear on the Malibu and without ballast it is an amazing handler as was my old Malibu.

Docking: All theses boats are great, but as a comment; I've notice that the trend is going to really LARGE boats. This is fine if you need to have more than 6 people on your boat at a time (VTX is rated at 10), but it is really not practical to load 10 people on a boat to do water sports. So I don't get it. I leave people on the beach with an Easyup, BBQ, Ice Chest and Music. And take out 4 to six at a time if necessary. We usually have too many boats out anyway. Anyway, I hate towing really big boats behind my vehicle and I like to keep my boat light when I don't need ballast.

Pride in ownership: Well, in the past MC owners felt they bought the best and probably did, but times have changed and now the big three all make beautiful capable boats. Malibu has been very smart, innovating every year and adding value through excellent engineering while increasing the content and materials quality over time. Malibu has, in my opinion, taken the lead in styling. For instance the Illusion tower which integrates the tower with the boat eliminates the ugly "industrial antenna tower" look which is on its way out as a styling "statement". Malibu, which HAD the ugliest graphics in the industry, now measures up with some of the best.

I hate to invoke any kind of religious war, but MC owners sometimes carry an attitude that I simply cannot understand. While my experience with Malibu owners is that they are much more friendly to everyone. After all we are all boat and water sports fans, so why cop a 'tude'. I like MCs and Nautiques and even Sangers, Tiges, Supras, etc. They all make good boats. But "nose up" MC owners need to rethink. Especially since Malibu is probably the largest manufacturer of the big three now, sponsors some of the best talent, has great styling, and provides more innovations on a yearly basis.

Finally, I hate to say this, but I really think that the best "money is no object" boat is the Nautique. But I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending money, I have too many hobbies that I need to

spend money on. So, for the reasons above and because of the value proposition I like Malibu...high quality, high performance, without some of the gold plating. But I respect all the big three manufacturers.

Edited by VTXFORME
I'm a Malibu GUY, BUT there are really four areas to consider when deciding on a boat;

Vomit.gif Major sensory overload...

Edited by TheBlackPearl

I just bought and LSV 247 switching from my MC X-30 (still for sale) The way the my BU handles at 24+ feet knocks the crap out of the MC... I have found the workmanship of the BU equal to the MC. The wake on the X-30 was good but I have found the ability to shape with the Wedge is a huge advantage but takes some getting used too.

MC owners (of which I belonged) are threatened by the BU... MC is trying everything to hang onto their rating in the face of a shift related to their inventory...

My wife wanted me to buy a mastercraft but after 1 boat show and a couple times to the dealers it was easy to choose the malibu over all the wakeboats I love the way my malibu is built and rides smoother than any boat I have ever been on. Sorry hunny, I never listen to you before why would I start now?

1. What are you using the boat for? If you are using it as an all around boat for beginners through expert, I like the adjustability of the Malibu wake and I've found that I'm able to use the VTX for boarding, wake skating, skiing and just all around fun. This is one of the main reasons I bought the smaller VTX. If you want a dedicated HARD CORE wake boat MC might be a better choice, but for that I really prefer the Nautique. Of course other Malibu models can provide the hard core wake, but mine is an all around boat.

2. Luxuries and amenities: Well, Malibu has come a long long way over the years, and now provides a boat that in some ways gives you more amenities, but the touch, fit and finish of the MC is usually higher. This is appealing to the "money is no object crowd", I guess there are a few of these folks left,...because you'll pay more for the MC mainly for the MC BLING. Nautique's styling is a little less appealing, but it is probably a more solid boat than either the MC or Malibu.

3. Quality: This goes WAY beyond the bling factor, and if there is one thing I KNOW about MALIBU it's that the backbone of Malibus are ROCK solid. They don't leak, the fiberglass is generally very good, the design of the hull/stringers, transom, floor, and deck are very good structurally. They will last forever if maintained. MC also makes good boats, but I've heard that in the past there have been more problems with the fiberglass and gelcoat than on Malibus. I've talked to a couple of people who specialize in fiberglass and gelcoat repair and modification. They tell me that Malibu sometimes have problems from the factory, but they see more problems with MCs.

Power trains are important and my impression is that the newer engines and transmissions are reliable in both Malibu and MC. I cannot speak to electrical in the new boats with all the electronics to control ballasts, speed etc., but I can say that I owned my last Malibu for 12 years and it never failed to start NOT EVEN ONCE, I never had problems with the early generation EFI, or any other electrical. I don't even think I had a light bulb go out.

The upholstery quality is very good on both Malibu and MC with a slight edge to MC. The carpeting is good on both, but I usually put a custom removable Berber mat in my boats (easier to clean). The hardware is a little better on the MC. And Malibu has improved their hardware over the years.

Overall the quality comparison between the two evens itself out I'd say, but MC has the bling factor. I think that Nautique is probably higher quality than either though, sorry Malibu fans.

4. The ownership experience is an important part of the equation and it has a few parts to it. Maintenance: This is highly subjective because both manufacturers make high quality boats that require minimal maintenance considering the performance of these boats. Problem is, some people maintain their boats to look and perform like NEW. I'm in this camp, which is why I was able to keep my old Malibu for 12 years and it still looked sharp and ran like new. Other folks don't maintain their boats well either cosmetically or mechanically and plan to sell them after a couple of years. Anyway, both MC and Malibu will give back what you put into them in this regard.

Driving: How the boat drives depends on the model, but to me Malibu has a sportier feel, and of course my VTX is a lighter smaller boat with the same HP, so it drives like a Porsche. When towing wake boarders with ballast all the boats feel like you are driving a PLOW, but I like the switchgear on the Malibu and without ballast it is an amazing handler as was my old Malibu.

Docking: All theses boats are great, but as a comment; I've notice that the trend is going to really LARGE boats. This is fine if you need to have more than 6 people on your boat at a time (VTX is rated at 10), but it is really not practical to load 10 people on a boat to do water sports. So I don't get it. I leave people on the beach with an Easyup, BBQ, Ice Chest and Music. And take out 4 to six at a time if necessary. We usually have too many boats out anyway. Anyway, I hate towing really big boats behind my vehicle and I like to keep my boat light when I don't need ballast.

Pride in ownership: Well, in the past MC owners felt they bought the best and probably did, but times have changed and now the big three all make beautiful capable boats. Malibu has been very smart, innovating every year and adding value through excellent engineering while increasing the content and materials quality over time. Malibu has, in my opinion, taken the lead in styling. For instance the Illusion tower which integrates the tower with the boat eliminates the ugly "industrial antenna tower" look which is on its way out as a styling "statement". Malibu, which HAD the ugliest graphics in the industry, now measures up with some of the best.

I hate to invoke any kind of religious war, but MC owners sometimes carry an attitude that I simply cannot understand. While my experience with Malibu owners is that they are much more friendly to everyone. After all we are all boat and water sports fans, so why cop a 'tude'. I like MCs and Nautiques and even Sangers, Tiges, Supras, etc. They all make good boats. But "nose up" MC owners need to rethink. Especially since Malibu is probably the largest manufacturer of the big three now, sponsors some of the best talent, has great styling, and provides more innovations on a yearly basis.

Finally, I hate to say this, but I really think that the best "money is no object" boat is the Nautique. But I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending money, I have too many hobbies that I need to

spend money on. So, for the reasons above and because of the value proposition I like Malibu...high quality, high performance, without some of the gold plating. But I respect all the big three manufacturers.

There's alot of wind in that post, to bad you don't have a sail boat Thumbup.gif