Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu over Mastercraft?

Travis

Malibu? or the Dark Side!  

317 members have voted

1. 1. If you could own either one without the conflict of money, which one would you own

• Malibu
    • Mastercraft
    • Other
  2. 2. Would you ever rent one to see how they actually perform?

• Yeah, I have been pretty interested
    • No, I'm gewd
    • I did and I like Malibu
    • I did but they cost too much

I've spent time in and around the big 3 Bu, CC, MC and have owned MC in the past. Ski with several weekly.

Working on a budget and not willing to make payment on a toy, it's always used for our family. That being said and having no intrest in the big boats, kids and I barefoot, and ski, some course ski, and being in show skiing we needed a versital boat but wanted a smaller chassie and closed bow, with barefooting and not wanting a ton of peeps on the boat. Narrowed choiced down to a very ferw models. Sanger was in the race ( couldn not find good boat in price range) Bu sortster and response, MC 190, or CC 196. Shopped for about 6 months and found a clean BU sporty cb that fit the bill. Was able to pay cash, (big factor) boat tops out at over 50mph for the footers and holds speed well, does all right in the coarse, and will hold speed at 12.5 mph for the swivel skier in the family. Not the most bling in the world but thats not functional anyway. Would concider a cb response or MC 190 as an upgrade but when it comes to value for the $$ Bu still wins.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandbagger

• Travis

• Bill_AirJunky

• Ndawg12

My take on this is much like the first few responses in the thread... the mentality of the MC dealers, owners is typically that of "we are better than you!" That said, a really good friend of mine is a salesman at our local dealer and his dealership is one of the best in the business. They are nothing but stand up guys and are great to work/deal with.

First and foremost, the quality of a MC when compared to a Malibu is marginal at best. A really good friend of mine had the blue/yellow photo shoot boat when MC launched the re-designed X-2 in 07. One would think that on a photo shoot boat that every little detail would be looked over with a fine tooth comb. Not so much! His boat rattled, shook, etc.. I am also not a fan of the pickle fork bow, no matter how well it functions. Back to the quality of the boats, fit, finish, etc... So my friend who has this X-2 has a large group who come to ride every time he hits the water and the X-2 was not cutting it. Plan for 08 was to trade the X-2 for an upgraded X-Star which he custom ordered to look exactly like the X-2 he was trading in...

100K + later he had a blue/yellow X-star with the upgraded Cadillac motor, etc. Since picking this boat up in mid April, he has had it in the shop for warranty issues over 10 times!! I looked in the gunwales, and all around the boat the first time I went out in it and I must say they did some shotty work in putting that boat together. Now, I am not bashing MC, just stating my opinion on them and I must admit that one of my favorite wakes of all time is the first gen X-star (now the X-1). However, they too had big problems with the corvette motors and vinyl. I have several friends with this boat and they are on their second and third set of skins for the boat. They seem to crack and rip very easily. :unsure:

Why Malibu??

I have never seen a Malibu product (including the 2 I have owned) where I was as disappointed as when I looked at MC. I am in no way brand loyal, I considered the SANTE 210, and I would also buy Supra because they are well made boats from what I can tell. But, the thing that drew me to Malibu is the interior layouts. They seem more roomy than any other boat out there and that is a big deal to me. I want a boat that I can still drop the tower and fit in my standard garage, lets see that happen with a big a$$ X-star. Also, I have seen several Malibu's that were donated to a local YMCA camp over the summer for camp, as you could imagine, these boats were ridden hard and put away wet! Campers in shoes, soaking wet, stored outside uncovered, the list can really get long. Well, at the end of the summer, sometime around October, our Malibu dealer brings the boats back to the dealership and they are reconditioned for re-sale. The boats typically have around 200hrs and are discounted accordingly. I originally thought, there is no way they could re-sale these boats, but you would be surprised at what can be done. Mechanically and handling wise, the Malibu feels like a Mercedes S-Class versus a Honda Accord (not a knock on Honda BTW, I have one!)

Point is... everyone has an opinion on each side. I personally like the wakes of both, I am a little scared of X-stars because I blew my knee while riding behind one, but I think that was my fault. :Doh: There are many pros and cons for each boat, but if it came down to renting, I would go with Malibu. However, those with little experience with each boat, I would guess would lean more towards the MC because of name recognition...

And to be quite honest, I take my Malibu to be serviced by the head mechanic at a Supra dealer! Crazy.gif

had both no comparrison mc has lost that edge too many changes in leadership. Most at the factory don't know their butts from a hole in the ground. Management is arrogant and basically their boats are junk now. Watch and see their prices are about to start falling big time.

MasterCraft was not even on the long list for us, so obviously didn't make the short list. We simply did not want one. I can say that I haven't particularly noticed the MC "attitude" out here that is mentioned, but I also strive to avoid crowded lakes which is when a lot of the "look at me" types are out.

Edit- On the rental question. a) There really aren't all that many places to rent a high performance wake or ski boat. B) Any dealer should take you on the water if you are seriously looking to buy, so I cannot envision ever renting a boat to try it out.

Tease2.gif /on

Edit #2

I was just looking at MC website and had to share this for a good laugh - on the X-Star...

The X-Star has the unmatched innovation of the AP-1 hull which means the X-Star doesn’t need gimmicks like a trim tab or foil to create the ultimate wake

In other words, since we the Wedge is patented, and we can't use it, we are going to badmouth the competition, instead of standing on our own merit... (also note that they are making a veiled compliment to the Wedge, since they are stating straight out the "foil" creates the ultimate wake)

Next...

The X-Star comes standard with MasterCraft’s newest innovation, the VDIG (Video Digital Gauge) as well as a tower, rotating board racks, hard triple tank ballast system that will gulp down 1000 lbs of H20, and a premier sound system that will let everyone know you have definitely arrived.

Can you say Malivu? And the sound system isn't for you to jam to killer tunes, and it doesn't matter if it is any good, it's so you can show off how cool you are!

Dad, dad, can I get one? Can I, can I, can I...

Tease2.gif /off

Edited by TheBlackPearl
MasterCraft was not even on the long list for us, so obviously didn't make the short list. We simply did not want one. I can say that I haven't particularly noticed the MC "attitude" out here that is mentioned, but I also strive to avoid crowded lakes which is when a lot of the "look at me" types are out.

Edit- On the rental question. a) There really aren't all that many places to rent a high performance wake or ski boat. B) Any dealer should take you on the water if you are seriously looking to buy, so I cannot envision ever renting a boat to try it out.

Tease2.gif /on

Edit #2

I was just looking at MC website and had to share this for a good laugh - on the X-Star...

The X-Star has the unmatched innovation of the AP-1 hull which means the X-Star doesn’t need gimmicks like a trim tab or foil to create the ultimate wake

In other words, since we the Wedge is patented, and we can't use it, we are going to badmouth the competition, instead of standing on our own merit... (also note that they are making a veiled compliment to the Wedge, since they are stating straight out the "foil" creates the ultimate wake)

Next...

The X-Star comes standard with MasterCraft’s newest innovation, the VDIG (Video Digital Gauge) as well as a tower, rotating board racks, hard triple tank ballast system that will gulp down 1000 lbs of H20, and a premier sound system that will let everyone know you have definitely arrived.

Can you say Malivu? And the sound system isn't for you to jam to killer tunes, and it doesn't matter if it is any good, it's so you can show off how cool you are!

Dad, dad, can I get one? Can I, can I, can I...

Tease2.gif /off

As I said in my post "I blame that on the dealers and the factory, I guess thats the only way to sell them, "your better than a Malibu boat" you couldn't pay me to own a MC! I just can't get by all the Attitude!"

I'm wondering about the rental because the company I helped start currently have the X-Star Pro Wakeboard Tour Edition and an X-80. The x80 is obviously more expensive to rent out due to the unrealistic price tag of this "yacht" but people LOVE it. They really realize how much money they save by taking out that boat instead of going to buy one lol

Thats what we are talking about..

Edited by Travis
The 197 fits between the Response LX and LXI, both in price and usability. The walk through of the 197 is easier for docking at the course dock than the Response LX. The LXI resolves this issue but an LXI is more money than a 197.

I 'm not so sure an LXI is more money than a 197. When we priced both boats a 2006 Demo 197 set up like a X-7 was over 3 grand more than my new 2007 RLXI with wedge, Tower, and heater. Waterski boat buysers guide lists MRP of 197 greater than RLXI also.(3G's?)

As for MC dealers tactic of bad mouthing everyone else, the comparison used for me was the difference between standard stereo speakers and the difference between board racks. It was so bad that my wife had to walk away. He didn't mention boat construction, design, fit & finish, price, wake size. The list goes on. A friend of mine has MC board racks with the sliding clamps and 1 hit on his boat lift and they it toast. My aftermarket Nice racks needed new mounting bolts after 1 hit on the lift and they looked like new.

We also didn't like MC's "Hammered Metal" vinyl texture or the milled finish of the dash plate. To me (a machinist) the milled dash plate looks unfinished.

Back to price. What do the rest of you think? MC197 less expensive than Response LXI?

I ski on a private lake where most have MC and I have a 2005 Malibu Sportster LX and a 2007 Moomba Outback. My main thing is barefooting with slalom course skiing second. For barefooting, the Malibu is better than MC 190's. Slalom skiing thru the course is about the same as the MC 190's. This is my 2nd Malibu Sportster LX. I wish Malibu still make an entry level less expensive boat like the Sportster. I bought the 07 Moomba Outback new for $26,500 because the Sportster is no longer made and paid almost $20,000 less for it new than a Response LXI. It has the same Indmar engine and transmission as the Malibu and MC. The wake for barefooting is great. Slalom course skiing is good as long as only 3 people is in the boat.

If Malibu is reading this, most of my friends are driving hours away and buying Moomba Outbacks because they can't afford the extra $18 to $20,000 for a Malibu. Even though Malibu's are great boats. My friends that were Malibus have now switched to Moomba. Most people are not professional skiers, but want to get on the water and have fun with family and friends. Maybe that's why Skiers Choice (Moomba/Supra) knocked out Ski Nautique for 3rd place in boat sales as of a couple of years ago. They are filling that void. Basically, I would like to see Malibu bring back a entry level boat.

Edited by Malibu Barefooter
I ski on a private lake where most have MC and I have a 2005 Malibu Sportster LX and a 2007 Moomba Outback. My main thing is barefooting with slalom course skiing second. For barefooting, the Malibu is better than MC 190's. Slalom skiing thru the course is about the same as the MC 190's. This is my 2nd Malibu Sportster LX. I wish Malibu still make an entry level less expensive boat like the Sportster. I bought the 07 Moomba Outback new for $26,500 because the Sportster is no longer made and paid almost $20,000 less for it new than a Response LXI. It has the same Indmar engine and transmission as the Malibu and MC. The wake for barefooting is great. Slalom course skiing is good as long as only 3 people is in the boat.

If Malibu is reading this, most of my friends are driving hours away and buying Moomba Outbacks because they can't afford the extra $18 to $20,000 for a Malibu. Even though Malibu's are great boats. My friends that were Malibus have now switched to Moomba. Most people are not professional skiers, but want to get on the water and have fun with family and friends. Maybe that's why Skiers Choice (Moomba/Supra) knocked out Ski Nautique for 3rd place in boat sales as of a couple of years ago. They are filling that void. Basically, I would like to see Malibu bring back a entry level boat.

i believe this is what they tried to do with the axis brand, although that boat does not fit your application

I have spent a lot of time on my friends MC X2. We actually split time between my Bu and their Mastercraft. I love their boat. I think it looks tough. The wake is super fun and super big with wide landing zones. The wave is wider and slower than the one behind my Bu, but still really fun. It's fun to trade days behind the boats, it let's us switch up our surfing styles a bit. I love the interior, as well. It feels super durable (although it does have a 'colder' feel to it). The only thing I'm not in love with is their Speed/Cruise Control. It's not quite as steady as the Bu.

Overall, I LOVE my Malibu, but I wouldn't fault anyone for buying a MC. I do think they are way overpriced, but if you've got the money, who cares? The only complaint I have with Mastercraft is the experiences I've had with their local Dealership. My friends are good friends with the owner, but I just don't get it. The hand-full of experiences I've had with him have been, ummmmmm.......not positive. In the end, I think Mastercraft makes a great boat.

I used to own a 95 PS 190 and did like that boat and never had any issues.

For me it was simple; I prefer the classic styling and fit and finish of Malibu. In addition, my VLX was $6-7K less that a comparable X-15 so it was a no brainer and MC was out of the running pretty early in the process. I do not like the design features of MC like the pickles forks and feel the snap out carpet looks cheap. I have a good friend looking for a V-drive right now and we sat in and looked at every major wake boat at the boat show and it further solidified my decision to go with a Malibu.

I grew up all MC, thats all it was for me and even when i did not even have a boat i saw any other tow boat that was not a MC a P.O.S. Then when it finally came down to my first purchase i did a WHOLE lot of researching. Between the two it came to this, if your going to get a pre-2000 I recommend MC but after its all Malibu. Now this is not based on looks or wake but reliability and function. Malibu really is better on fit, finish, and reliability. I love the way MCs look but I actually think they look a whole lot better on a trailer, and Bu looks better on the water. MCs wake is awesome on the transition but seems to need a lot more weight then the BU. BUs finish is awesome all around, much better then MC. The MC guys will say that BUs suck cause the drivers seat is not molded in and the wedge can tear off. The seat thing is ridiculous, not even a formula 1 car has its seats molded in, and the wedge…well I believe its is a combination of not paying attention and bad luck.

I just love my Malibu, no need to look at a MC. Also cant stand the mindset of the MC owners.

Exactly, I went on a test ride on a 2000 Mastercraft. It was a pretty good deal but the guy kept saying Mastercraft is like the Mercedes Benz of boats. That rubbed me the wrong way because if you research reliability ratings between Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Lexus around this time frame, (which is what I was currently doing as well for a car for my wife) you will find that you would be better off buying a used Kia than a Mercedes. They're maintenance costs are ridiculous, and are always in the shop (I worked with a few people who agree to this). Blah, blah, blah,

So anyways, his comment rubbed me the wrong way but we Bu owners need to be careful when comparing all aspects. I have complaints about my vride (yeah I know, its a vride, what should I expect, right?) as to the quality of craftmanship and materials used. I can give specifics if vtx or vlx owners want to compare. Anyways, that's my pennies!!

Nemire,

Re Mercedes:

1. They are not always in the shop.

2. I am an avid Consumer Reports reader and have used their magazine as a guide for life for 25 years.

3. I love Toyota products for their reliability. We've owned 2 Avalons, 3 Lexus LS 400's, and a Toyota Supra. We've owned an Acura Legend, 3 Porsche Carreras, and 2 Nissan Maxima's, also. We tend to replace these cars every five years or so. I reccommend all of them.

4. The Mercedes is a driver's car with comfort. The braking, handling, combined with a perfect quiet ride is not equalled by other brands.

5. What Mercedes offers in their E 350 4Matic car (ours is a 2007) is the quietness of a Lexus LS V8 with considerably better handling. If you're just a freeway cruiser then there is nothing better than a Lexus V8 car. But if you live in mountain country with curvy two lane roads and occasional snow there is nothing better than German technology. The BMW is a more raw car and we already have that in our Porsche. The Germans rate their horsepower a little differently and the V6 350 is as quick as an LS 400 V8 Lexus.

6. The reliability of some Mercedes products is worse than others as reported in Consumer Reports. You can avoid some issues by your model choice. We service our car at the Mercedes dealership and frankly it's only slightly more than an Avalon and in line with the Lexus. We're on our second midsize Mercedes and I will consider another when we are ready. We like this car so much we may keep it longer than five years.

7. I just want to set the record straight. Bend is a blue jeans and sneakers town and we buy our cars based on how they perform because we are not driving from stoplight to stoplight in a traffic jam but rather are hauling a_ _ to get to the Willamette Valley 130 miles away. That is why we have a thriving Mercedes dealer , and a successful BMW, Audi, VW, and Porsche dealer in a town of only 70,000 people located miles away from civilization.

8. It cracks me up to go to San Jose and be surrounded by BMW's going from stoplight to stoplight at an average speed of 15 mph. Average speed around here is 65 and I'm not talking kmh. Every once in a while double that Whistling.gif

Edited by DONTW8
  • 1 month later...
Before I bought my MB my Friends had both, I have toured both plants in TN, and skied and footed behind both. I guess the biggest thing I have against the MC is the attitude and mindset of the MC owners and sales people, that better than thou attitude, I blame that on the dealers and the factory, I guess thats the only way to sell them, "your better than a Malibu boat" you couldn't pay me to own a MC! I just can't get by all the Attitude!

I agree with this statement completely. I took a test ride in a 2000 2300VRS and the guy kept comparing it to a Mercedes Benz, saying how awesome it was and so on so forth. I actually agree with his analogy, you are all welcome to research this. Lets say Mercedes Benz is Mastercraft, BMW is Correct Craft, and the cheaper Lexus is Malibu. That's how I see it and the research I've found and heard of supports it, sorry if I offend any Beemer or Benz owners but I thought it was funny.

Lets say Mercedes Benz is Mastercraft, BMW is Correct Craft, and the cheaper Lexus is Malibu. That's how I see it and the research I've found and heard of supports it, sorry if I offend any Beemer or Benz owners but I thought it was funny.

I've had two BMW's (525 and 728i) and I have to say my Malibu rides better! Rockon.gif

Edited by WakingMeHappy

I am new around here, but not new to the boating world or forums. I would first like to say that I am not a fan of these type of threads. On a Malibu site it is obvious what the response will be, and likewise for MC or any other brand forum. I find these threads to be a self reassurance mechanism. I have owned a lot of MC's, most currently a 40th Anniversary x-star. It is a amazing boat, was it expensive-Yes, does it have it's flaws-Yes. After reading this thread most anyone can say is that they dont like the attitude that MC owners and dealers have. After reading the MC forum all people can say is the carpet dosent snap out and the seat bases are not molded in, Oh and that tower thing. I think that most people have a pride in there boat and will defend the choice against the competion. I personally enjoy boats and boating and really have enjoyed looking at the neat things Malibu, CC etc. all do. Hey, Malibu's tower is awsome but MC's racks are way better. You can go round and round with this stuff. I think that they are all pretty cool and have good and bad. Most important I think is the dealer relationship you have. I think we all can agree that a service dept. can ruin a boating experience pretty fast, and guys not all MC guys have a snobby attitude like that.

Edited by duckguy

Over the years or rather decades Malibu has been in the game, their variety of offerings of differing model types has been pretty outstanding. Even more outstanding is the fact that each differing model did what it was designed to do very well. While some models have evolved more than others, the product line from the inception has hit its target design goal every year. While it is certainly possible that some versions of a particular boat model such as RLXI for instance are maybe more loved by their owners than possibly some later versions; nowhere in the Malibu line up from the very beginning was there model that was an absolute flop. Moreover, in over twenty years of personally owning Malibus, I have never heard anyone say "don't buy that year or model of Malibu boat because it is a piece of crap".

In comparison, I deal actively with several people who are avidly involved in the used boat business and quite frankly there are a couple models of MC that they just absolutely won't touch as a resale item owing to some very significant structural and or gelcoat problems. There are two models of CC that put these guys into a very wary mode when considering these for trade-in or resale. Never have I heard this about a Malibu. Coincedence? I tend to think not. In two decades of experience I see one common trait throughout all the differing models of Malibu boats and it has not always been about bling or record making performance. This trait I am speaking to is about a really good balance of innovation, quality workmanship, style and a continuing effort to provide the purchaser with a value very much aligned with cost.

No doubt the favorable economic period of recent years has chartered a path for Malibu as well as others that has seen the reduction in lower cost models offered for sale. AND YES I TOO AGREE THAT A STRONG RELOOK SHOULD BE MADE AT OFFERING THE SPORTSTER AGAIN. Given the current economic conditions and its prospects for speedy recovery, it could very well be that a lower cost watersports boat like the Sportster soon becomes a fast growing segment of the boating market. Especially for those looking for good value and performance in a boat for other than wakeboarding.

Edited by multiplemalibufamily

After reading this post, I drove my mercedes into the lake for a quick ride and it sank to the bottom. Let's hope MB has a better service plan than MC :)