Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Big Air

Foil-n

Wow, that is impressive.  It also reminds me of the tower contraption we saw on Lake Austin about a month ago.  It was a Tige 22v and on top of the normal tower was this extension that went up another 12 feet or so.  It was cabled down to the front and even had a banner that looked like a sail.  The foilers behind this thing were going huge.   Surprised.gif   Next time I see it I will get some pics.

That thing has been available for some time now, I just can't remember the name of it offhand.

You mean the Stiffy Tower...

stiffy%20tower.jpg

Yep. Thats the one. That thing looks crazy coming around a bend in the river.

I asked one of the guys at Comptech about using the dime. He suggested that the performance of the foil was dependent on water depth, temperature, and even other less defined characteristics. I know that we have some marked color differences in water here in Kentucky - Dale Hollow for example has a bluish-gray cast is clear to about 10-12 feet down where other lakes in the area have a more green cast with about 5 ft of clarity. I'm not good enough on the foil to tell the difference in water characteristics but this guy seemed to imply that they adjust the foil depending on which lake or what portion of the season they're in.

Wow Keith,

That's the first time I've ever heard anything like that.

I never considered anything but the angle of the rear foil and how much gusto I had in myself on any given day. I'll have to pay more attention to depth, temp., and water clarity.

QUOTE(Pistol Pete @ Aug 9 2005, 10:53 AM)

Since we've got all the TMC foilers here, I've got a question.

Anyone got a Cinch max belt? Do you like it? Would it go on an air chair seat?

I do, two of my Skyski's are fully "CinchedOut". I have seen the Cinchmax on Air Chairs advertised so I bet there is one for it. Are you still using the belt with a buckle latch?

Just call Lonnie at Cinchmax

Thanks Ronnie.

I've been trading e-mails with Lonnie and I'm gonna buy a set of the foot stays tomorrow. I broke my cheapy home-made ankle straps last weekend. I had the pleasure of foiling on Wake girl's sky ski with her fancy 'Cinch' foot stays and really liked how easy it was to get into the bindings and they seem pretty heavy duty.

I am still using the lame belt with buckle but, don't have any issues with it. My friends complain about it digging into them. I guess I just have more padding than them. And they can buy their own damn padded belt.

Get the "FootStay Pads" too. They are sooo soft on your ankles.

Just ordered mine today. I tried a gainer yesterday and both feet came flying out when the nose dug in as I came up short. Scary thought that the foil was loose with my head in the vicinity! Lonnie at CinchMax seemed like a super nice guy.

So what are the Foot Stay pads?

As you wrap the FootStays around your ankle, part of the velcro of the first strap rubs against the back of your foot. The foot stay pads stick to this part of the FootStays and provide padding to avoid raw spots on the back of your foot (achilles heel). I have them on both of my SkySkis.

That is crazy.

The sail looks like it helps to stabilize the tower from the pull of the chair. It tracks with the rope. Or was that said already ;)

Argh, one more thing that I've now got to buy.

I will send some over, they are great for people with smaller feet. If your feet are larger they seem to make the footstays seem to small.

Try them out if you don't like them just send them back.

Wow, that is impressive.  It also reminds me of the tower contraption we saw on Lake Austin about a month ago.  It was a Tige 22v and on top of the normal tower was this extension that went up another 12 feet or so.  It was cabled down to the front and even had a banner that looked like a sail.  The foilers behind this thing were going huge.   Surprised.gif   Next time I see it I will get some pics.

That thing has been available for some time now, I just can't remember the name of it offhand.

Does anyone know if the contraption that Geno Yauchler sp?? had on his tower has made it into production? I don't foil, and it looked liek it would be an arm and a leg, but it was a good idea.

Heres some air that Ben got at the NW Flyin using nothing but his own skills! No AirSling or the Stiffy Tower.

BigBen.jpg

By the way, I think the Air Sling is being used primarily as a training aid to learn new tricks as it helps with air & the bump when you land.

-Bill

Bill,

Haven't you rode with the Air Sling? How was it?

I didn't get the chance to ride behind the Air Sling, but Murphy had it at the NW Flyin last weekend. He said that he loved the bump that it gave you on landing & that it does give you an extra boost of air. Not sure if thats because it's preloading the takeoff, because it's mounted a good 2' higher, it gives you a good confidence boost to bust a big one or maybe all three!

There was an article I just read about Shapiro using it at his training camp.... maybe it was Waterski Mag, I don't recall. But they like it for training on raley type tricks, like a Hoochie glide where you only hold on with one hand to get the grab in. DS thought it gave a little more air too but wasn't sure it was a good thing on all tricks. He said he needed the line tension on any of the spin tricks..... that the AirSling could foul up.

I linked to that article earlier in this thread. I'll put in below too. We had a big discussion about it a few weeks ago and most said it wouldn't work for the wakeboarders. Looks like it might help with a few tricks. Pretty expensive help though...

Probably a learning curve to ride with it as it pulls you up with the line tension.

Link

I linked to that article earlier in this thread. I'll put in below too. We had a big discussion about it a few weeks ago and most said it wouldn't work for the wakeboarders. Looks like it might help with a few tricks. Pretty expensive help though...

Probably a learning curve to ride with it as it pulls you up with the line tension.

Link

I still don't like it.