Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering new skin, (colors??)

scout1ton

I'd stay with Black. Much easier to touch up stone chips and minor rust spots. Also ,in a few years if you want to sell it, potential buyers may look at a boat with an Orange trailer and "just keep on driving". Whistling.gif

I'd stay with Black. Much easier to touch up stone chips and minor rust spots. Also ,in a few years if you want to sell it, potential buyers may look at a boat with an Orange trailer and "just keep on driving". Whistling.gif

Good point.

Getting ready to send check to Chee, and just thought I would ask you all that have had him do work if the vinyl vents that are in the stock skins are also put in the new skins he sends. Is this a given or should I specify that I want these in the new skins.

post-7412-1233086806_thumb.jpg

Also what about the drain holes in the bottoms of the seats. I am missing some of the vents in the underside of bases. Can he provide replacements or is there somwhere else to get these? Thanks in advance.

post-7412-1233086901_thumb.jpg

What about the trim on the underside of the seat, does he send a bulk amount of this or pre cut pieces, or once again should I specify that I need this also. Mine is kinda dry rotted so using it over is not an option.

post-7412-1233088267_thumb.jpg

Edited by scout1ton
  • 3 weeks later...

Damn he's fast, my skins were sent out Monday and should be here in Okie country tomorrow. Just so happens that I am off for 8 days after today. Man I love it when a plan comes together. Have alot of honeydoos but will try and make some progress on the interior. Keep you updated later.

Can't wait to see the finished product. So you did white base, Orange main, Moonbeam 1st accent and Ebony 2nd accent?

Moonbeam as the second accent. I tried to change it but the man just works to fast. I called and it was to late.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2001 Sunsetter. I'd like to replace all the upholstery. How do I get in touch with Chee. Or do you recommend factory skins (if they're even available)

I am in the process of having Chee do some skins for my 97 sunsetter. They are immaculate and dead on. I have had the 2 longer gunnel pieces done and the came out top notch and he is currently workigon the two rear seat pieces. He even sewed the newer Malibu boats logo in them on the gunnel pieces. They vinyl is muh more impressive that what Malibu used back in the day(thicker and stronger). I am having everything behing the cockpit redone by Chee but only doing a couple of pieces at a time.

I will take pics of the three pieces I have had redone. They are not mounted in the boat yet...but have been fastened and ready to bolt on to the boat. Some of the pieces are pretty tough to put on and you may want to consider pulling the old pieces off, removing the staples, & taking the new skins and cushions to a vinyl shop to have them professionally attached. It cost me $75 to have both gunnel skins put on with stainless staples. The flat pieces are easy and you will want to invest in a pneumatic staple gun to do this right. I would suggest a Porter Cable US-58 and stainless 1/2 or 3/8 inch staples for the thiner pieces. It is a true upholstery gun and I love mine.

IMO...your boat would look best with an off white main, black main accent, and then some orange as the smaller accent.

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

How do I get in touch with Chee????

Getting ready to send check to Chee, and just thought I would ask you all that have had him do work if the vinyl vents that are in the stock skins are also put in the new skins he sends. Is this a given or should I specify that I want these in the new skins.

post-7412-1233086806_thumb.jpg

Also what about the drain holes in the bottoms of the seats. I am missing some of the vents in the underside of bases. Can he provide replacements or is there somwhere else to get these? Thanks in advance.

post-7412-1233086901_thumb.jpg

What about the trim on the underside of the seat, does he send a bulk amount of this or pre cut pieces, or once again should I specify that I need this also. Mine is kinda dry rotted so using it over is not an option.

post-7412-1233088267_thumb.jpg

I have a 2001 Sunsetter in need of an interior makeover. Do you have contact info for Chee?

I am in the process of having Chee do some skins for my 97 sunsetter. They are immaculate and dead on. I have had the 2 longer gunnel pieces done and the came out top notch and he is currently workigon the two rear seat pieces. He even sewed the newer Malibu boats logo in them on the gunnel pieces. They vinyl is muh more impressive that what Malibu used back in the day(thicker and stronger). I am having everything behing the cockpit redone by Chee but only doing a couple of pieces at a time.

I will take pics of the three pieces I have had redone. They are not mounted in the boat yet...but have been fastened and ready to bolt on to the boat. Some of the pieces are pretty tough to put on and you may want to consider pulling the old pieces off, removing the staples, & taking the new skins and cushions to a vinyl shop to have them professionally attached. It cost me $75 to have both gunnel skins put on with stainless staples. The flat pieces are easy and you will want to invest in a pneumatic staple gun to do this right. I would suggest a Porter Cable US-58 and stainless 1/2 or 3/8 inch staples for the thiner pieces. It is a true upholstery gun and I love mine.

IMO...your boat would look best with an off white main, black main accent, and then some orange as the smaller accent.

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

Murphy,

Thanks for the input, I am having problems with the smaller accents being 2 colors now. I guess I should just have the two smaller made into one, or just give him the go ahead and let him make something unique and new. So you didn't send him any boat parts, he is just sending you the skins? Pictures would be great. I see that your in Dallas, this boat came from South East Dallas, maybe Red Oak, I think.

GO POKES!!!!

Correct I'm in Dallas...Red Oak sounds about right. Yes, on the gunnels and stereo armrest cover, he was able to make these w/o me sending him anything. Now I did receive the back seat rear yesterday and he left of some piping that should have been sewn in the seams. I called Chee last night and he said ship it back and he would fix it for free. (Nice guy to work with.) My suggestion would be to take a picture of each piece that you want redone and print each picture on paper with a color printer (Fedex/kinkos if you dont have a printer.) Draw arrows and write what colors you want and where for each piece.

Couple of other options would be (if you have grey carpet) main off white/second main light grey/ accents with black and orange w/ the piping in orange ( with a picture) of T Boone Pickens carved in to the platform. Mine is white/light grey and the two accents are purple and teal.

Really? Is that in any way necessary? Call the Merced factory (209-383-7469) and ask for Ellery, she can get the ball rolling for you.

After reading all this I think I am going to give them a call. I have a '97 vlx that needs new skins badly.

Any idea for how much skins would be for the whole boat?

Edited by Nick in the TC
After reading all this I think I am going to give them a call. I have a '97 vlx that needs new skins badly.

Any idea for how much skins would be for the whole boat?

Just get ahold of Chee and he can tell you exact price to your door. I would assume each boat will be priced differently. On a side not I haven't made any real progress on the install. Haven't had enough sunny warm days when I am free to work on. I hear that is the trick. Need sun and heat to make vinyl pliable and it goes alot easier. Stay tuned, updates soon, hopefully....

I talked to Pattie at the Malibu plant today and she told me Ellery does not work there anymore. She left me a message and she would get back to me on the price for redoing my VLX.

Just got off the phone with Pattie at Malibu and she said she couldn't just send me the skins for my '97 VLX because they don't have those patterns. So I could take my skins off send them to her and they could then make skins from the patterns. She also said it would be around 3 grand to do this. Doesn't that sound a little steep for just new skins? I heard some other people getting quotes for around 3 grand and that included dropping there boat off and just picking it back up with it completed. Is that the price for Malibu quality?

Edited by Nick in the TC
  • 1 month later...

WOW, I thought I would be so pumped up to get these done I would be on the water by now. Well had to prioritise, and my 4x4 needed some work so I could wheel this spring so the seats got pushed back. I am now hot and heavy on them and they are actually going quite well. Fronts are all done just need to install after cleaning all the fiberglass with 14yrs of grime. I took lots of pictures of the seats as I took them apart so I could reference them if needed. Have looked back a couple times, but Chee does such a nice job that its pretty straight forward. I actually got a kid from the local upol. shop to come show me how tight to stretch the skins. Stapler (Porter Cable US 58) works awesome. Most of the time is taking the old vinyl off, man there is alot of staples in there. I am going to have to address the tear issue on the bottom of the back seat base. I think I am gonna take some extra vinyl and fold around each end and glue it to geve and extra padding. That way when the base is moved up to make deck it doesn't tear new vinyl on base and also gonna put some on top of side rails towar the back where the deck sits. Any better ideas?? Here are some pics of removal and of one of the front before the welting was put on.

post-7412-1240973726_thumb.jpg

post-7412-1240973738_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Bu'ers just thought I would end my thread with some finished product pictures. All in all, I think it turned out awesome. Chee has this down to an art. I hardly had any bulk material left over. (tubing, hide-em, and flat vinyl) I had a kid that works at a local shop help me on some of the harder ones. He did the engine hatch all by himself. I'm not real pleased with the carpet on it but what the hay for $250 bucks labor (he helped some on almost every piece, either getting me started or just doing it)I can't complain to much.

post-7412-1247774167_thumb.jpg

post-7412-1247773955_thumb.jpg

My daughter sure likes the new color but I think she would be perfectly content on her ski or on the tube. So heres one for her.

post-7412-1247774577_thumb.jpg

thanks to all of those who helped with input, and I hope this makes it easier for someone else later on.

Looks great man! Your daughter is adorable!

Thanks for the props.... Clap.gif

wow! it looks awesome! Yahoo.gif

better keep an eye on that little girl.....only be a few years before her boyfriend will want to borrow the boat...