Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Modification ideas!

dielawn

I have one for you that i would pay A LOT of money for.... someone needs to come up with a part/joint that fits between the tow bar and the tower (on an Illusion XS tower) that would all for the tow bar to either fold down or quickly disconnect (via pulling a pin?) We keep our 23LSV in the garage but to get under the garage door i have to remove the tow bar.. it is a pain to pull out the allen wrench tool and unscrew then pull off the tow bar (then find a place to put it.) I would pay A LOT of money for a solution that would make is super easy to lower/remove the tow bar (preferably a solution in which the towbar is still connected, but is allowed to fold down before the windshield (well.. i don't need it to fold down that far.. but certainly lower than it is when the tower is foldeded forward/down.)

I toyed with this one for a while, the problem is not making the brackets or quick disconnects. The cost is in removing the tower to weld and then re-powder coat the damage from cutting, welding and drilling and tapping. I priced it out at about $1,400 for the whole job, it would be easier to get together with Malibu engineers, have them build these at the factory and just do an upgrade swap but whose got the time for that Whistling.gif

This was easy, we just moved. :)

I have one for you that i would pay A LOT of money for.... someone needs to come up with a part/joint that fits between the tow bar and the tower (on an Illusion XS tower) that would all for the tow bar to either fold down or quickly disconnect (via pulling a pin?) We keep our 23LSV in the garage but to get under the garage door i have to remove the tow bar.. it is a pain to pull out the allen wrench tool and unscrew then pull off the tow bar (then find a place to put it.) I would pay A LOT of money for a solution that would make is super easy to lower/remove the tow bar (preferably a solution in which the towbar is still connected, but is allowed to fold down before the windshield (well.. i don't need it to fold down that far.. but certainly lower than it is when the tower is foldeded forward/down.)

I toyed with this one for a while, the problem is not making the brackets or quick disconnects. The cost is in removing the tower to weld and then re-powder coat the damage from cutting, welding and drilling and tapping. I priced it out at about $1,400 for the whole job, it would be easier to get together with Malibu engineers, have them build these at the factory and just do an upgrade swap but whose got the time for that Whistling.gif

Easier yet, just put it in storage with a 30' high X 14' wide door X 30' long and have extra room for more things that you don't want in the garage :)

Easier yet, just put it in storage with a 30' high X 14' wide door X 30' long and have extra room for more things that you don't want in the garage :)

That's no way to show the boat some lovin', plus I want it in the garage. That way I can clean & wax etc. w/o any inconveinience. Oh an use the $$ saved on storage for gas..... :)

Yeah, and make it where you don't have to remove the bimini to fold the tower down.

My first wishlist item I would build if I had the machinery would be an adjustable height and leaning seat mount. I would only need about 3-4" of lift adjustment. This would be AWESOME for shorter peeps! I also find that when I first start towing I like to sit up and be really aware (as I am knocking the cobwebs off my driving skills of a very heavy boat) as I get more comfortable I can slouch/lean back a bit more and really relax while towing.

Other ideas: A mount for the side window so the driver can put a drink within easy reach. If it were me I would also make it large enough to hold a tostitos salsa container and a really strong clip for a small baggie of tortilla chips....and yes, I can just about drive a trip up while eating chips and salsa....but it takes a LOT of practice! haha.

I built something really cool I called the "buddy box". What it does is "unwind" multiple ropes. This is great if you ride doubles wakeboarding (and ride at a level where having the ropes wrap just sucks hard). PM me if you want the information, but I LOVE this concept!

Maybe a telescoping option for steering wheels? Something that allows 1-3" of travel?

A mountable, leaning back, seat back, that mounts to the back row of seats allowing you to sit with your legs over the motor compartment facing the rider.

A new set of V-drive covers that allow you to sit in the rear facing position 4-10" below the trunk height, lazy boy style.

A telescoping tow point for those of us with the older fixed style crossbeams.

A machined clown horn for the tower right behind the driver. I already have one on my boat but its zip tied to the tower....its our "good job/nice move" horn. A la Double up & Kordell (R.I.P.)

Yes, I have many more too. I swear I would KILL it in the R&D of a wakeboat company like Epic. So many ideas it drives me crazy!

I machined the brackets on a a pair of Pro60 wetsounds so they are mounted out to the sides. This way if you are standing on the floor,in the boat, there is no way you will hit your head on the speakers.

I had thought about making a tower holder that mounts in the pin holes on the swing away tounge. When i am putting the boat away attach the holder and fold the front of the tower towards the bow. This way the wieght of the tower would not be on the windsheild.

NOTE: this idea would only work if you can push your boat into storage.