Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 V Ride Throttle

On my 2008 VTX the throttle was perfect and held any speed until the new recall throttle was put in and then I would have to hold the throttle to keep it just above idle or it would drop back to idle. Real pain when trying to get back to a fallen rider quicker than idle.

I opened the throttle up thinking there was a spring to adjust or something and there is not one. There is a compression type washer under the throttle shaft and that seemed to be caught under the plastic ring that holds the washer down. I unstuck the washer and when put back together again it seemed the throttle shaft was a little bit tighter and now I am back to holding what ever speed I want, even just above idle.

Black and Blue... Can you elaborate on your fix a little. I am planning on opening up my throttle and trying to perform my own fix as well. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

I am not sure I am going to be able to explain it in writing but I will try.

The throttle arm is attached to a shaft that goes through the body of the throttle housing and butts up against the back of the throttle (the back is basically what you take off by unscrewing 4 screws). (On the shaft is a cam that runs against switchs that are triggered to change gears via solendoids as well as a cam to run the throttle potentiometer.)

Any how the round shaft butts up against the back of the body of the throttle and fits into a recess molded into the back of the body. In this recess is a black plastic piece (retaining washer ?) that holds a wavy type compression spacer (washer ?). On my throttle the wavy compression spacer was caught under the plastic retainer and so I think there was no friction there and therefore the thottle was kind of loose and would pop back into neutral instead of hold where I put it (about 6 to 8 mph). After putting the washer back in place with the plastic retainer over it and then installing the back of the throttle body housing (which is kind of tricky by the way) there seemed to be more friction on the shaft and now if I put the throttle arm just a bit forward it now stays and does not pop back into neutral. Once you take the back of the throttle body housing off you should see what I mean and it should be pretty well self expanitory.

FYI: on the old throttle there was a spring that would hold the neutral button out and you had to overcome the spring by pushing the neutral button in which would move the gear switching cam out of the way of the switchs but the throttle potentiometer cam would still engage and you could rev the engine with out actually activating the cam that would switch gears. On the new throttle there is no spring and therefore the neutral button will not push in and move the cam away. Don't know if this matters to you but FYI.

Hope this helps. I maybe should have taken some pics when I took everything apart. This worked for me though.

Oh ya I noticed some people say the Vride throttle may be different in relationship to what is run by wire so maybe your throttle body is set up a bit different than my VTX but I say open it up and see whats up.

Edited by Black&Blue'Bu

Thanks... Gonna give it a try the next chance that i have.

I am not sure I am going to be able to explain it in writing but I will try.

The throttle arm is attached to a shaft that goes through the body of the throttle housing and butts up against the back of the throttle (the back is basically what you take off by unscrewing 4 screws). (On the shaft is a cam that runs against switchs that are triggered to change gears via solendoids as well as a cam to run the throttle potentiometer.)

Any how the round shaft butts up against the back of the body of the throttle and fits into a recess molded into the back of the body. In this recess is a black plastic piece (retaining washer ?) that holds a wavy type compression spacer (washer ?). On my throttle the wavy compression spacer was caught under the plastic retainer and so I think there was no friction there and therefore the thottle was kind of loose and would pop back into neutral instead of hold where I put it (about 6 to 8 mph). After putting the washer back in place with the plastic retainer over it and then installing the back of the throttle body housing (which is kind of tricky by the way) there seemed to be more friction on the shaft and now if I put the throttle arm just a bit forward it now stays and does not pop back into neutral. Once you take the back of the throttle body housing off you should see what I mean and it should be pretty well self expanitory.

FYI: on the old throttle there was a spring that would hold the neutral button out and you had to overcome the spring by pushing the neutral button in which would move the gear switching cam out of the way of the switchs but the throttle potentiometer cam would still engage and you could rev the engine with out actually activating the cam that would switch gears. On the new throttle there is no spring and therefore the neutral button will not push in and move the cam away. Don't know if this matters to you but FYI.

Hope this helps. I maybe should have taken some pics when I took everything apart. This worked for me though.

Oh ya I noticed some people say the Vride throttle may be different in relationship to what is run by wire so maybe your throttle body is set up a bit different than my VTX but I say open it up and see whats up.

Guess I'm lucky that I own an old boat. My throttle stays wherever I put it no matter what speed or how much chop.

Nah. The smoothness and micro-adjustability of the new throttle is worth it. My 03 throttle would not hold F, just off idle, which was a pain when pulling a little kid on a skimmer board. The new throttle holds where you put it--and I mean if you want 700, 725, or 750 RPM.

The downside of the new throttle, as I see it, is that without a direct cable connection it isn't as instantaneously 'punchy.' It is, however, more forgiving in the hands of a less skilled driver. A tradeoff I guess, but overall I like the feel of the new throttle. When I drive my neighbor's 05 it's like going back to a butcher knife after getting used to a scalpel.