Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pretty Bummed about the 'Bu

hco

One thing that I have thought of being a remote possibility is that one side of the locking pins on the wedge may not have gone out completely (or maybe not at all?), and that would cause all of the force to be exterted on one side of the wedge (the side that locked), but I thought I remember the side that had a problem locking being the side that it was bent on, which wouldn't make sense. Also, I know that my friends and I are very good at checking the pins to make sure they went out, since the wedge is a real PITA sometimes.

When Malibu had the bad wedge foil bolts, that was in 2004-2005 boats, isn't this a 1998 boat? Post some pictures and i can give you my opinion from a Malibu dealer.

Also see if they will repair your wedge foil for you, if the foil is in ok shape, see if your dealer can send the foil in and have new arms installed?

Paul

Wedge was put on in '02 I believe, but it could have been closer to '04, not sure. I will get pictures when I get home.

Malibu's warranty is 3 year for the original owner (if installed at the factory) They warranty parts for 1 year for after market installs. Working with Malibu's warranty department I've found them to be very flexible. But being 4 years or more out of warranty, you've got to understand where Malibu is coming from. If I knew Bake's could help you in some way i would, I'm sure Malibu would repair your wedge for you at a lesser cost than having to replace it, just a idea?

Yeah, it just bothers me because its the old style that has failed on other boats multiple times, and maybe that could be because this year I started putting more weight in the boat, and that extra killed the wedge (on the assumption that the wedge just bent, i didnt hit anything, etc..)

Just to follow up with the "hit something" idea, since I started it, I only mentioned that because I did that to mine. Nobody in the boat felt a thing. I have no idea how it happened but the prop was untouched, rudder was untouched, but the wedge foil had a witness mark about the size of a dime directly on one of the front corners. This tweaked the upright arms just enough that one side would now lock in with the pins and the other side wouldn't. It was twisted about 1/2". After a little forcefull persuasion with ratchet straps, mallets, the BFH, etc....I was able to fix it myself. Works just fine now after about 1.5 seasons. Witness mark is still there on the foil though.

I will check for minute marks on the foil, the thought had just never occurred to me, but it's boating, random ridiculous stuff happens, and it usually ends up costing hundreds of dollars.

I will check for minute marks on the foil, the thought had just never occurred to me, but it's boating, random ridiculous stuff happens, and it usually ends up costing hundreds of dollars.

Well said, although I think that we can usually count ourselves lucky if the damage is limited to hundreds of dollars. :lol:

Yep, granted the first time was my little sisters mistake, was when she was first learning to drive, and she friggin nailed a log real good, but the now-tige-dealer 'bu shop did one of the biggest jokes of a fiberglass job I had ever seen. They did not re-glass it enough to give it enough support, they pretty much just did a cosmetic job, so naturally when my Dad hit something relatively small, it ripped right out again. We ended up putting a (I believe steel) plank/beam on the inside of the hull, glassed over it, and then put the skegs back on. Now if the skegs get ripped off, our boat is sinking fast.

Edited by hco

I am leaning towards an impact or not having the pins locked in place.......or as someone else suggested only one locked in place. (too lazy to go to the garage to see if that is possible) and now I cant believe that there is not an emoticon for lazy :)