Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Off season workouts to stay in shape....

spinxt

ok Spin, I worked out today! Two hours worth.! Repetition excercise. Snow & slush shoveling!

HA, HA....me too!! Clap.gif So when April 15th rolls around, I'll expect you to be ready Whistling.gif

Another vote for P90X. Iam just starting week 3 and seeing results.Great program, I cant wait for warm weather. Thumbup.gif

Hey P90Xers - got a question for you that came up on Wake World that I think is a good one.

What recovery drink are you using? What protein drink are you using and when?

Also, I have heard that Protein drinks are better than protein bars. Anyone else know about this??

Interested in getting your thoughts and approach.

Minnesota1,

While I do not use the P90X program, my workouts with my personal trainer are very similar. As far as post-work out nutrition, this is the time that you want to consume fast acting carbohydrates and some fast digesting protein (not casein protein), most experts recommend a ratio of 2:1 (carbs to protein). I use a post-work out shake called Surge which is made by Biotest. I don't know which stores have it because I order it from their web site which is t-nation.com. (They have free shipping). The originial flavor tastes similar to angel food cake and is quite good. I think I might have to go work out just to have some now that I mention it.

I would try to stay away from a protein bar immediately after exercise as this would take longer to digest. I use the protein bars as a snack in between my meals and at work when I do not have time to eat a regular meal while working in the ER. I use the Metabolic Drive protein bars from t-nation.com. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for their products, but I have been using them for a few years and they work for me. If you have not seen their web site, it is a little hardcore but it is full of great information.

Another vote for P90X. Iam just starting week 3 and seeing results.Great program, I cant wait for warm weather. Thumbup.gif

Hey P90Xers - got a question for you that came up on Wake World that I think is a good one.

Also, I have heard that Protein drinks are better than protein bars. Anyone else know about this??

Water during the workout, maybe with some watered down Gatorade just for the flavor. After, I drink a Muscle Milk shake with 1% milk. I noticed that without the MM I don't always have the energy as the weeks workout progresses.

Water during workout,Highland labs super muscle gain shake afterwards.I also have a protein bar mid morning and snack all day long.Good results so far. :)

You all have piqued my interest about the P90X program. I'm a bit leery about the initial cost. Did you all just buy or is there some way out there to get it at a reduced rate?

I think buying it off the website is the best way because you get the book and nutrition book which is important. You will also need to at least buy a pull-up bar and resistance bands. Once you get going you can invest in dumbells (I have always suggested the Power Block since they are adjustable and take up little space - usually, not always, cheaper than buying a set of dumbells) either way, you will get a great workout with resistance bands. Optional from that point is buying a YOGA mat and Yoga block push-up bars (or you can use your dumbells as long as they aren't round).

I am a big fan. If your main goal is weight loss and a lean look - you are good to go with resistance bands and the LEAN workout program. If you want to add muscle you will need dumbells and follow the Classic workout program.

I have found the LEAN program sheds the weight like no other (30 punds and 6 inches off the waist in less than 8 weeks).

As you get older - the core and YOGA are extremely are probably the most imporant workouts you will have!!!

good luck!!!

regular weight training 3x week.

usually spin 2x week for 40-60 minutes.

am interested in P90x too....younger bro (workout freak) says it's awesome.

usually in march and april i try to do more rowing, and lower back work.

it really doesn't matter, I'm always really sore the first few weeks out!

You all have piqued my interest about the P90X program. I'm a bit leery about the initial cost. Did you all just buy or is there some way out there to get it at a reduced rate?

Personally, I purchased directly from them because I wanted the pull-up bar as well. I thought I could negotiate

combined shipping, but they wouldn't do it (although they did give me a break on the individual shipping charges).

For just the P90X DVD set, I've seen lower prices on eBay and amazon. The cheapest I ran across was on my

local craigslist. They typically don't come with the Nutrition Plan, though, which provides hints on how and how

much to eat during each subsequent phase of the program, replete with a day-by-day menu, if you can use that.

The menu doesn't really work for me, but the Plan still provides useful information (for instance, it calls for

between 6 and 10 egg whites per omelet on the breakfast menu -- no way that I'd ever have eaten that much

on my own).