Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cope Mcphetres filing for bankruptcy?

bu2007vlx

From a post on TheWaterSkiForum...

"I was at lunch w/ a dealer friend who told me that Malibu had re-purchased the inventory of a dealer in California that went into Chapter 7. They are selling the units thru their dealer network. He stated he could sell a brand new 2008 Response LXI (thru this program) loaded w/ trailer for $29,000 and MAKE A PROFIT on the sale. Wow! That puts promo guys trying to sell their 2008's at a major disadvantage. It will be interesting (or sad) to see where all of this stands when the dust finally settles. "

If I can get a new RLXi for only $2k more than I bought my '01 RLX for I may have to rethink my new boat every 10 years strategy.

I'd take all posts online with a BIG grain of salt. Customers are believing that stuff will all be sold way below cost, which isn't the case. I am aware of the pricing on all the boats available, and there is nothing from them at that price. Your dealer MAY be able to get you an 06 or maybe an 07 for 30k or so without a trailer, but there aren't any 08's for that. I've looked.

Peter

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• Pat McCrotch

• bu2007vlx

I went to the Fairfield/Cordlia UWS today hoping to buy some more equipment and there was a sign on the door stating the store was closed for good and there is still a ton of merchandise in the store. I'd like to know where this is going to go as well??

From a post on TheWaterSkiForum...

"I was at lunch w/ a dealer friend who told me that Malibu had re-purchased the inventory of a dealer in California that went into Chapter 7. They are selling the units thru their dealer network. He stated he could sell a brand new 2008 Response LXI (thru this program) loaded w/ trailer for $29,000 and MAKE A PROFIT on the sale. Wow! That puts promo guys trying to sell their 2008's at a major disadvantage. It will be interesting (or sad) to see where all of this stands when the dust finally settles. "

If I can get a new RLXi for only $2k more than I bought my '01 RLX for I may have to rethink my new boat every 10 years strategy.

I'd take all posts online with a BIG grain of salt. Customers are believing that stuff will all be sold way below cost, which isn't the case. I am aware of the pricing on all the boats available, and there is nothing from them at that price. Your dealer MAY be able to get you an 06 or maybe an 07 for 30k or so without a trailer, but there aren't any 08's for that. I've looked.

Peter

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Hell, I'd buy 2 at that price.

Rumor has it that Larson Marine is taking the Malibu line in Sacto.

That would give them quit the line up of ski boats. MB sports, Nautiques, Calabria and now Malibu. WOW!!

As a postive, I have heard good things about the service center.

Well one of my good friends is a Certified Malibu Mechanic. We are slowly going to move into the service area. We are going to start with hour services and small repairs. He has a full time position working Catepillar service right now but is willing to do evenings here with me. For Anyone in the Vacaville area. It will be his business. I will only schedule stuff.

that would be awesome. take your boat in for service and while our waiting just walk next door for a while Whistling.gif

that would be awesome. take your boat in for service and while our waiting just walk next door for a while Whistling.gif

You must be a Gold Club Member :)

You must be a Gold Club Member :)

I did not get it untell the words Gold Club came into play. Biggrin.gif

I don't drink, eat fast food, or own a v-drive... oh wait....

Well one of my good friends is a Certified Malibu Mechanic.

What is a "Certified Malibu Mechanic"? Does that mean that he is Indmar authorized service or that Malibu actually certified him to do warranty and service on their boats?

Well one of my good friends is a Certified Malibu Mechanic.

What is a "Certified Malibu Mechanic"? Does that mean that he is Indmar authorized service or that Malibu actually certified him to do warranty and service on their boats?

He is certified (holds a valid certificate) to do service and warranty repairs on and for Malibu Boats at a Malibu Boats dealership.

Technicians are required to hold certifications from Malibu and Indmar and renew them every new years. A lot of other dealers like Bake's do extra certifications like Advanced Marine ABYC Electrical & Mercruiser courses to stay on top of the rapid changing marine industry.

-Paul

Thanks Paul. I understand Malibu dealers have certified Malibu and Indmar service technicians. Since there is no longer a Malibu dealer in Vacaville CA, I was wondering how Pat's friend can be or continue to be a certified Malibu service technician. Pat said they were 'slowly going to work into it', which suggests they are going to startup a service center with the idea of servicing Malibu Boats. I should have asked: does Malibu certify non dealers and independent service shops?

Malibu just had a week long school in mid december at the merced plant. I know someone from our shop is required to be there for us to keep are warranty and dealership status. Our tech who went came back with a wealth of info Thumbup.gif

Edited by CRASH
I should have asked: does Malibu certify non dealers and independent service shops?

A friend of mine in Lake Havasu is supposedly certified by Malibu for warranty repair. He owns Lakeland Marine. The reason he was able to get certified was that there wasn't a dealer in so many miles. So, in essence the same could be true with Pat's friend.

One thing to remember is that most everything minus the interior, hull, power wedge can be done at any Indmar dealership as well. The engine, transmission, fly by wire and other items are from Indmar. The heater, shower and other options carry there own warranty and can be done by a dealer for those items. For example, my fly by wire was warranteed through an MC dealer. My trailer bearings were done by Gary's Marine in Havasu when I was on a trip there. My 1st torsion axle when it failed was done by a MC dealer and when the 2nd one went it was done by DHM Trailers.

This is not to say that a Malibu Service Center is obsolete, because its not. The Malibu Service Centers are usually the most informed on any issues specific to Malibu. But in a pinch, one can take there boat to another center and have warranty work done.

Thanks Paul. I understand Malibu dealers have certified Malibu and Indmar service technicians. Since there is no longer a Malibu dealer in Vacaville CA, I was wondering how Pat's friend can be or continue to be a certified Malibu service technician. Pat said they were 'slowly going to work into it', which suggests they are going to startup a service center with the idea of servicing Malibu Boats. I should have asked: does Malibu certify non dealers and independent service shops?

His friend is probably more than qualified to service a Malibu but there are no authorized repair shops outside of Malibu's dealer network that i know of.

If your worried about it or wanted to verify that they are a authorized repair facility for Malibu i would contact the factory in Merced and talk to somebody in customer service about it first.

-Paul

His friend is probably more than qualified to service a Malibu but there are no authorized repair shops outside of Malibu's dealer network that i know of.

If your worried about it or wanted to verify that they are a authorized repair facility for Malibu i would contact the factory in Merced and talk to somebody in customer service about it first.

-Paul

I wouldn't take a verbal OK over the phone from Malibu, try to get something in writing if possible!

Well you got me on a tough one. He worked for copes for 5 years if not more. He has been working all the boats for a while. Now I didn't specify, I am sure he won't be doing warranty work off the get go. He has agreed to talk with malibu for allowing him to do smaller repairs and service work. It is just in the beginning stages. He will not take on fiberglass or gelcoat. If you need a impellar, fuel filter, oil or stuff like that he will be available. Funny cause I had a customer that brought his boat for a stereo. We checked for engine noise. He took it to the lake and his impellar went out. He came back and asked if I ran water while doing it. I asked him when he changed his impellar. He told me never and the boat was four years old. So he messed up quite a bit for not changing it. That is where small repairs come in. My buddy trouble shot a wiring problem in my shop for me. Customer took it to 2 other places and was charged over 1500.00 and the repair was not complete. He looked at stuff for a bit tested stuff and found the real problem within two hours. Customer paid us 300.00 for repairs. He isn't out to gouge pockets neither, just wants to get away from the wife once in a while. I know one local shop using mechanics not certified to do work on boats. Shade tree mechanics

Well you got me on a tough one. He worked for copes for 5 years if not more. He has been working all the boats for a while. Now I didn't specify, I am sure he won't be doing warranty work off the get go. He has agreed to talk with malibu for allowing him to do smaller repairs and service work. It is just in the beginning stages. He will not take on fiberglass or gelcoat. If you need a impellar, fuel filter, oil or stuff like that he will be available. Funny cause I had a customer that brought his boat for a stereo. We checked for engine noise. He took it to the lake and his impellar went out. He came back and asked if I ran water while doing it. I asked him when he changed his impellar. He told me never and the boat was four years old. So he messed up quite a bit for not changing it. That is where small repairs come in. My buddy trouble shot a wiring problem in my shop for me. Customer took it to 2 other places and was charged over 1500.00 and the repair was not complete. He looked at stuff for a bit tested stuff and found the real problem within two hours. Customer paid us 300.00 for repairs. He isn't out to gouge pockets neither, just wants to get away from the wife once in a while. I know one local shop using mechanics not certified to do work on boats. Shade tree mechanics

There is no problem with doing maintenance, like i said he's more than qualified to work on Malibu boats especially if he holds a certification. Being a authorized Malibu repair/service facility would be up to Malibu which outside their dealer network, i don't know of any that exist.

-Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is my first post but I have inside perspective on the Copes and wanted to chime in.

Bob Cope is my uncle by marriage. Even before he married my Aunt I hated him. He's always been condescending and the most important thing to him has always been money. I haven't spoken to him since 1994 and the last time I saw him was 2005 when my grandfather died and he couldn't even say Hi to me. He believed (not sure he still does) that he was god's gift and expected everyone to worship him. He doesn't like me because I wouldn't. I saw him for what he is.

I remember the original store and when Bob's dad still owned/ran it. He was a good man and always tried to do right by the customer. When he died and Bob and Frank took over that is when it went down hill.

I could go on and on about how Bob has treated my family but I won't. But coming from a relative, I say that this is Karma bitting him in the butt.

I feel bad for those of you who are now left with out someone close by to service your boats but it really is for the best.

Yes, this is my first post but I have inside perspective on the Copes and wanted to chime in.

Bob Cope is my uncle by marriage. Even before he married my Aunt I hated him. He's always been condescending and the most important thing to him has always been money. I haven't spoken to him since 1994 and the last time I saw him was 2005 when my grandfather died and he couldn't even say Hi to me. He believed (not sure he still does) that he was god's gift and expected everyone to worship him. He doesn't like me because I wouldn't. I saw him for what he is.

I remember the original store and when Bob's dad still owned/ran it. He was a good man and always tried to do right by the customer. When he died and Bob and Frank took over that is when it went down hill.

I could go on and on about how Bob has treated my family but I won't. But coming from a relative, I say that this is Karma bitting him in the butt.

I feel bad for those of you who are now left with out someone close by to service your boats but it really is for the best.

Well, what goes 'round comes 'round. You should give him a call and ask him if he knows where you can pick up a good deal on a Mastercraft!! Tease2.gif

That is so funny. I worked for Cope's from 89 to 91, in the service then parts dept. There were some really nice people who worked there...like one armed Joe.

But you have Bob's # on the nose. I always respected Frank, even though his sense of humor was very dry. But Bob did some pretty lame stuff, and was generally an a**. That attitude was pushed in the store. I never knew Frank Sr.

On one occasion I had ordered a transmission for a guy, and we had to special order it. Well, when it came in, the guy called me back and said he didn't need it. Well all of us know Cope's return policy (store credit only). So I asked Bob what to do. He said "charge him the shipping fee, a 20% restocking fee, and give him the rest in store credit. The guy was pissed, and I had to confirm our policy. However, it led to Frank. And very simply, he came over, asked me what the deal was, and I told him. He was calm, and I think he reinbursed the guys money. At least Frank was reasonable.

Cheers!

Kevin