Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cope Mcphetres filing for bankruptcy?

bu2007vlx

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• Pat McCrotch

• bu2007vlx

...they are for the most part classless, especially Mike Mellow, he's a real piece of work...

Couldn't agree more.

My boat was a promo from their guy in Elk Grove. The promo guy and I took care of all the arrangements and details, and I picked it up directly from him. Mike's only involvement was writing up an invoice, with a "Prep" line item for $895. I laughed at him and wrote a check for the amount less the 'prep" charge.

I've been in many C&M's over the years and unless I was going to by a boat from them, which I never did directly, they didn't want anything to do with me. I could spend $2000 in the pro shop and still be treated like crap.

Glad to see 'em go.

Until you took delivery.

I bought from UWS in Livermore, I haven't head anything bad from them yet. They have always been friendly and no bullsh*t type of guys, Justin the store manager has always been honest and helpful when I needed something!

I think the people they employ is the reason they have lasted so long. The owners or upper level managment are the ones who have seemed shady to me, but what do I know. All I do know is that if you bought a boat from them in Reno, you became best friends with the guys in the shop.

Best friends like you hang out everyday? You and the whole shop? You might of had a great experience with them and thats great. But best friends, come on. You let the guys go on the water with your wife or girlfriend and trust them? That is a best friend. When was the last time you were taken to a raiders game from them or just to dinner or out for drinks? I love my best friends, and I can count them on one hand. I am sure there are more employees there than 5

Ok, ok. Easy. First off, I'm on your side here.

Clearly not best friends according to your definition, perhaps I was exaggerating to make a point, but I did spend a lot of time with those guys and I still speak with them, even though they no longer work there. So, as far as salesman/customer relationships go, it was the best when compared to other experiences I've had with salesman.

My point was that even though I'm not against the demise of C&M, I think it's fair to point out how good some of the guys were that worked there.

Until you took delivery.

I bought from UWS in Livermore, I haven't head anything bad from them yet. They have always been friendly and no bullsh*t type of guys, Justin the store manager has always been honest and helpful when I needed something!

Tony-

Just to be clear, I was refering to Mello at the Rancho store.

Until you took delivery.

I think the people they employ is the reason they have lasted so long. The owners or upper level managment are the ones who have seemed shady to me, but what do I know. All I do know is that if you bought a boat from them in Reno, you became best friends with the guys in the shop.

Best friends like you hang out everyday? You and the whole shop? You might of had a great experience with them and thats great. But best friends, come on. You let the guys go on the water with your wife or girlfriend and trust them? That is a best friend. When was the last time you were taken to a raiders game from them or just to dinner or out for drinks? I love my best friends, and I can count them on one hand. I am sure there are more employees there than 5

Ok, ok. Easy. First off, I'm on your side here.

Clearly not best friends according to your definition, perhaps I was exaggerating to make a point, but I did spend a lot of time with those guys and I still speak with them, even though they no longer work there. So, as far as salesman/customer relationships go, it was the best when compared to other experiences I've had with salesman.

My point was that even though I'm not against the demise of C&M, I think it's fair to point out how good some of the guys were that worked there.

I was not busting you out, but I hear this all the time cause one or two people are really cool. I have a best friend that worked for the service dep. There are great guys that worked for them. Sorry if I seemed to harsh. I was just trying to make a point.

My main concern is "will things be better without them?" (If I were a total selfish person then for me yes! More boats broken down = better conditions/less wallys for me) haha. Yes there were some bad people (none that I met, but it sounds like it), but there were/are some REALLY good people too! Just like anything else in life you hear more about the bad apples than the good ones (which is a byproduct of internet slander). Pat its good to hear that your voicing the issues you had with them....even better that your not making a blanket statement about the whole organization and pointing out that it was a few who made things bad for everyone. Hopefully the cream rises to the top and we end up in a better situation and everyone learns their lesson. If anything this whole experience exemplifies how small this industry really is...maybe even send the message to shop owners that word gets around a LOT faster than it used to about service, personal crap, everything. The only thing that really bugs me about this whole thread is the amount of invasive-ness into personal stuff. It used to be that you went off a wink and a nudge, made generalized statements and people's personal lives were....personal. Now anyone who helps anyone in the wake industry seems to have their dirty laundry aired to the "net". Granted some of it was in defense of "havent they paid enough?"

Also, flip the situation for a second and think about things. Do you have control over how your boss acts, what he does, etc (what about his boss?) How would you feel reading these comments online...especially the blanketed comments. Would you be defensive, offended? Maybe compound that with loosing a job/industry you centered your life around, gave everything for? Yah, I am willing to be just about everyone hear would be pretty angry about their crap being aired out. How would you feel if people were talking crap about you because of something your boss did?

In the end everyone should take away from this that its best to support your local shops rather than shop online (which I am sure is a contributing factor to this issue). I will gladly spend a few more bucks knowing that I am helping employ a good person and great ambassador of a sport/lifestyle. Sh*t I have tried to tip/donate to the guys making things happen for the better. I will be glad to pass on business.

A lesson learned the hard way! Lets cross our fingers for a better tomorrow.

You sure have had a better experience than I did. I tried for two MONTHS to get a price on an Extreme tower for my boat. Finally I gave up and called Extreme, explained how incompetent my dealer was. They were helpful, professional, and delivered my tower for a great price.

Then I tried to buy a rack from the Cope monopololy. They didn't even know what a spinner Titan rack was. I had to take them to a Malibu in their showroom to show them what it was...still wouldn't order it for me. Ended up ordering a spinner rack from onlyinboards.com and they were helpful and explained that Titan did not make one for the size of my tower. Then I went to nicerack.com, again awesome service.

Oh the condition my boat was delivered in was also absurd.

I hope that monopoly goes away, thank goodness for online options!

Edited by thethrillofspeed

Burbanized, talk about opening a can of worms. I just ask a question about what people heard of C & M filing for backruptcy and this all comes out. G, I'm glad I heard it from the horses mouth.(haha)

Edited by bu2007vlx
Also, flip the situation for a second and think about things. Do you have control over how your boss acts, what he does, etc (what about his boss?) How would you feel reading these comments online...especially the blanketed comments. Would you be defensive, offended? Maybe compound that with loosing a job/industry you centered your life around, gave everything for? Yah, I am willing to be just about everyone hear would be pretty angry about their crap being aired out. How would you feel if people were talking crap about you because of something your boss did ?

I have never been to any of these Malibu dealers But,

Good employee bad employee, Ultimately it is the supervisor "Boss" or Owners fault for letting any poor customer service continue. It's not an Employees fault , the owner is a Tool or he or she chooses to employ One.

My Sister/Brother in law, Mother/Step Father and Father all own their own individual businesses and thats just how business is, in My Opinion.

Ya I agree it has been a long time coming for this company. They have black listed my company. I won't mention my company name. I do know we have superior products in this area and since one guy in there doesn't like me he has gone out of his way to keep business away from me.

I know the Manager of the Fairfield store is completely against me and the company. One day I had some friends passing out 5X7 club cards and they saw him pulling a new Bu. They didn't know who he was so they gave him a card. He ripped it up in front of them and said this stuff is junk. What cooth this guy has. He could have at least said oh thank you and threw it away later.

I wont mention names but I have heard through the grapevine that he has lost his wife and pretty much everything he owns. Karma got him I guess. I am sure he has treated other people really bad. I don't want to say he deserves it cause nobody does. I just wish people were not so Bias.

I have redone a couple other companies work on the boats. I don't glorify it or talk bad about them. I just make the customer happy. I can't believe these guys lie and cheat to get where they are going. I can't say enough about when you purchase equipment you get what you pay for. Fiberglass verses Aluminum, pre-fab boxes verses Custom built and fiberglassed boxes to keep water out. Just a huge difference.

Well Thanks for listening to my story with these guys. Oh I have bought every boat and piece of gear from them even though they have black listed me. The Monopoly

Speaking about bias, they don't carry your products and you are publizing the guy losing his wife along with his business. You might think your products are great but Fairfield carried Skylon and LiquidTrends tower speakers that are top quality and are widely marketed. Have some compassion and get that chip off your sholuder.

There is no chip on me. I just point out the facts. I wrote a big rebuttle to your comment but then I deleted it, cause all my fellow members already see how you are one post wonder. By the way the friends and co-workers of the guy who lost everything told me about it so harass them. They are the guys that tell me the products are superior but costly. Since there is Bias in UWS I will never get in. Directly from UWS employees mouths.

Have a great Veterans day since I am a disabled vet that fought 3 wars for you to have an opinion.

You know what, everyone has an opinion and an a$$hole and they both stink. Yahoo.gif

I sincerely appreciate your service and sacrifice for our country USA.gif and its freedom of speech and hope you had a great Veteran's day :salute: . I just found this site, I used to go to the MBO site when I first bought my Bu in 2002. I don't personally know the manager but know how it feels to have a marriage fail and that's why I made the comment I did. No matter where you heard the information you could use better judgement about posting it. I re-read your post and you did say nobody deserves such a loss so you do have compassion. Now I'm a two post wonder Biggrin.gif , but I'm done with this topic Closed.gif .

Well, I find it comical that people have only had experience with one or two of the C&M's yet are calling and cheering for the bankruptcy of an entire company which has many stores they have not dealt with. That would be like me visiting 2 Chili's and saying "yah, I hope they all go down in flames!". WTF?

I guess most on here rooting for the entire thing to collapse just dont know the same people I have had the pleasure of doing business with. (It also sounds like the SC store is quite a bit different from some others?) Every time I walk into that place I get a "bro-shake" and what's up. They are always willing to kick it, shoot the shiz and generally just talk about what's going on in the industry. I have NEVER been forced into a sale even though they are clearly a sales company. And lets not forget all those cool @$$ spring sales where they would raffle off free stuff, bring in pro's, bel aqua events, etc. I met a lot of people through that stuff and had some pretty good times. And no matter who you are, if you met some of the good guys (like Austin for example) you could figure out that they work there for more reasons than just financial. All it takes is 5 seconds of conversation to figure out that some of the guys truly love the sport....to the bone. I guess its rare today to go into a store and find someone who is an actual core participant of what they are selling, knowledgeable, etc.

My local dealer was not negotiating on a boat. If I was buying a car or a motorcycle there are plenty of options. Wanting to buy a new Malibu anywhere around here and the only option I could find was Cope. I talked to the dealerships in Sacramento and the Bay Area all part of the Cope Monopoly.

I used to live in San Jose about 10 years ago with my last boat, so I dealt with them as well. I was not impressed with the Santa Clara shop either. They wanted $7500 to replace the 4.3l V6 in the boat I purchased. I find that highway robbery.

I'm glad Liquidmx has had good dealings with them. I have not. My boat is my most expensive purchase and the dealership has treated me the worst.

C&M going out of business has good and bad effects on the local economy. However, Pat's comments about someone's marriage/personal life is BS. I understand he is wanting to make a living byselling his product and was treated poorly by someone at C&M, but two wrongs don't make it right.

Take it from someone who knows the inner workings of the management, (The management that runs ALL the stores) it starts and ends at the top. There is one person who controls everything and got lucky getting some good people in those stores.

The Tahoe City C&M closed last week. No notice, they just pulled up in a u-haul and told employees to pack up. Doors are now closed with no info to the public as to how to contact them.

I will miss having the service guys, and Scott, as they have treated me well in the past. But as to the upper management, I agree with a past comment, Karma has caught up with them.

Maybe boat country in Escalon will open a dealership and service dept by the bayarea and call it boat country west???? I hear nothing but great things about them. I know where I live they would do a ton of business. :werule:

Maybe boat country in Escalon will open a dealership and service dept by the bayarea and call it boat country west???? I hear nothing but great things about them. I know where I live they would do a ton of business. :werule:

BU2007VLX:

Thats were I took my boat. Service beyond comparison & great guys. Steve and the ENTIRE boat counrty crew gave our VLX the red carpet treatment. Startring by putting protective plastic over the fenders before they stepped into the boat. Thumbup.gif

I just make the drive...........it's not worth the hassle when something isn't done right and you have to take it back, I was seriously pleased with the way Boat Country deals with customers Thumbup.gif

NorCal Mastercraft and Riverboat Marine pulled out this weekend. I went there to get some Stabil and the place was empty minus a few items on the shelf. Bummer for me, I had been taking my boat there for service since it was only 5 minutes from my storage.

I guess they were having a hard time, so they decided to consolidate the dealership with the new NorCal MC dealership in Rancho Cordova.

I did get the name of the mechanic and he is going to do mobil, but may have difficulties getting warranty work. So it looks like I will have to drive the 40 minutes to Boat Country :)