Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealer service

edwin

To me, there is no excuse for bad customer service. When I get good service, I reward it with my dollars. For the price we pay for these toys, it should not be an issue. Any Mercedes or BMW dealer is kissing your a&% no matter where you bought your vehicle....Last time I checked, Malibu's were in the same price range.

Shouldn't be any different.

I've had this discussion with the SM at our dealer (great guys at Madras Marine btw), & I've seen it happen in other industries as well (motorcycle shops can be bad). One of the reasons that this still goes on is that warranty reimbursement is not at the same rate that they get normally. On top of that many times Malibu will only reimburse for x amount of hours for a specific problem when they actually put in many more than that to solve the problem, so they end up losing money chasing down the problem on a boat that was purchased somewhere else & by people that they will probably never see again. I can understand how that must sting. With that said, any good businessman knows that the service end of things is what will keep people coming back & buying from them, and that word of mouth is one of the biggest ways to gain customers. Headhunter called it true, it's much easier to lose a customer than to gain one. Dealers that continue to do this have got to realize that sometimes you have to pay a little up front to get a lot in the long run.

I've taken some hits for clients in the past that have been beneficial for me in the long term. It stung at first but before I knew it, I had referrals coming my way. You just have to treat them all like they are your most important customer.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, CS is suffering badly in just about every industry. If it's not getting sent to India......

I recently stoped by a Malibu dealer on the lake we were visiting. Cool concept...floating proshop/dealership with 2 boats on lifts. I went in inquiring about wakesurf boards and walked around the shop for a few minutes without anyone saying a word to me. When I asked the only person in the store about them she said " we have them for about $260". That was it. End of conversation. She went on with her "work"at the computer. She didn't offer any info regarding surf boards. I then walked outside to the new SLXi they had on their boat lift. Spent a few minutes checking it out. I had a better response from the employees of the shop. This time someone said "Hi." End of conversation. If I were a salesperson and someone came in and looked the slightest bit interested in a $40,000+ boat I would at least invite them to climb in and take a look around and answer a few question. A test drive would also be in the works if the person seemed the least bit serious. After all wouldn't that be a reason to have a dealership ON the lake with boats IN the water?

What is it that makes people act this way? I truley felt like I was a bother to them looking at products in the pro shop. They sure didn't do anything to make me want to buy anything there. Even if they spent some time with me and I walk out the door and spend $0 at least I might recomend them to someone else.

"Customer Service" has become quite an oxiemoron.

LOL, taking the "hands off" approach to the extreme. You know, I hate it when I get the pushy, greasy salesman that won't get out of my face, but I hate it just as much when I can't get someone to talk to me. It's a fine line between the 2 I suppose & some people can't find the balance.

It may be different for the wally boat dealers of the world, but bu dealers are in a niche market. In many parts of the country, I'm sure there many days in the dead of winter that no customers walk in the door or pick up the phone to call and place an order. Regardless when the customer walks in the door...the last thing they want to hear is bu dealer's problems.

Bu dealers that get customers solely on price will lose them in the same manner. They need to develop and grow relationships with their customers....so that the customer appreciates the value and wants to come back the next time or send a referral.

Have a friend who's in a bit of a pickle.  He has a Malibu purchased a few years ago from a dealer that's 200 miles away (Malibu didn't have a local dealer at the time of purchase).  Since owning his boat, there's a new Malibu dealer 45 minutes away from him.    He's had a few items worked on at the new dealer in the past, made an attempt to get a small warranty issue taken care of last week. 

He took the boat by the dealer to show the service dept the issue, waited 30 mins and was never helped.  He's got great kids but they became unruly...my buddy left.  Once he got home, he sent an email to the dealer outlining the problem with pictures of the issue, asking for assistance. 

He got an email reply yesterday basically saying "we're busy, having trouble keeping up with the customers who bought boats from us, sorry we can't help you, call the dealer you got the boat from". 

My buddy is looking to buy a new boat in the near future, think it's gonna be tough for him to buy another 'bu.  Is he out of line to be upset after this experience?

hey edwin, you may want to check with your buddy and verify his facts before you post them all over the internet. Just saying it appears their is another side to this story...

btw, I want no part of either side of this.

If I received that type of customer service it would be my last bu. Mad.gif I refuse to support that type of customer service if I have a choice.

I've seen that kind of reaction by dealers in the past.  I certainly understand taking care of the customers that purchased a boat from you. It just seems to me that there has to be a better way to communicate this without alienating a potential customer.  Why couldn't the service department just say, we are happy to help.  Right now, we are backed up.  Can you bring the boat back in a month or whenever.  You don't have to make the guy feel like a second class citizen because he didn't buy the boat from you.

I agree, theres no reason to single him out. And as far as I'm concerned if your a Malibu dealer or any dealer ie. car, motorcycle, bicycle etc... it shouldn't matter where you bought it, if you are a factory authorized dealer then get it in and fix it, first come first serve.