Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking To Buy A New Boat

Kingfish

If your son does a lot of comps which it sounds like he does, I would go with the VLX but thats just me. I am a die hard wakeboarder so I would want the full on Wakeboard boat. However if you slalom ski or have restrictions on boat length at your local lake, the VTX is pretty good, so I have heard. As far as the new 09 VLX's I've heard there nice but the 05 - 08 hulls are still bad a**, in my book and the kicker is you can probably get a nice 08 VLX for a good price, since next years boat is completely different.

Good luck and Welcome.

If your son does a lot of comps which it sounds like he does, I would go with the VLX but thats just me. I am a die hard wakeboarder so I would want the full on Wakeboard boat. However if you slalom ski or have restrictions on boat length at your local lake, the VTX is pretty good, so I have heard. As far as the new 09 VLX's I've heard there nice but the 05 - 08 hulls are still bad a**, in my book and the kicker is you can probably get a nice 08 VLX for a good price, since next years boat is completely different.

Good luck and Welcome.

There is no question, if you are not going to be pulling hard across the wake on a stick, get the VLX. We went with the VTX because it is the best V-drive for slalom, and throws a respectable wake for boarding.

Good luck and Welcome.

There is no question, if you are not going to be pulling hard across the wake on a stick, get the VLX. We went with the VTX because it is the best V-drive for slalom, and throws a respectable wake for boarding.

Plus1.gif

Sorry for the slow reply Kingfish. I have been out of the picture for a while. We made the choice for the VTX with the same reason as the black pearl.

Thanks for all the replies, interesting to note you both choose the VTX for ski first and wakeboard second. I was thinking the VTX might fit the wakeboard bill for me; maybe not. Nvboarder I'm hoping to do a little less competition next year and more time at our lake. Seems like we spend to much time driving and waiting and not enough time actually riding. I'm looking at some prices on 08 & 09's and I'm not sure if I can swing the VLX based on what I'm seeing. The new 21 Ride isn't far off the mark from a 08 VTX in price with similar options, actually the VTX has more. I'm going to have another look at whats in and do some more talking with them. I wonder with the economy on a slide if new boat prices will do the same. I'm just gonna have to work more if I want the VLX. Cry.gif

Thanks for all the replies, interesting to note you both choose the VTX for ski first and wakeboard second. I was thinking the VTX might fit the wakeboard bill for me; maybe not. Nvboarder I'm hoping to do a little less competition next year and more time at our lake. Seems like we spend to much time driving and waiting and not enough time actually riding. I'm looking at some prices on 08 & 09's and I'm not sure if I can swing the VLX based on what I'm seeing. The new 21 Ride isn't far off the mark from a 08 VTX in price with similar options, actually the VTX has more. I'm going to have another look at whats in and do some more talking with them. I wonder with the economy on a slide if new boat prices will do the same. I'm just gonna have to work more if I want the VLX. Cry.gif

Kind of, I needed a wakeboard boat that I could ski behind:Thumbup:

I wonder how much more your new boat will cost you since the time you started this thread with the dollar dropping about 10% since then, ummm maybe 10% more?

Cervelo your right, cost increasing, dollar is dropping and I'm not in a position to buy. Sounds like the makings of a CW song. I will say though that WLM will be where I purchase, nothing but good things have been said about them and I liked what I was hearing & saw when we stopped by. I know I'm getting a Malibu, just which one is the question. Guy I know at the lake has the 07 VTX and I thought the wake for boarding was pretty damn good and the boat handled very well. I'm leaning right towards the VTX right now; the VLX may just be to much $$$$.

Family just called from the dealership and after looking at the Ride, VTX, VLX and comparing prices against options etc it looks like they are spun on the VLX. Now what to do, hmmmm Whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

First I want to say thanks to Wizard Lake Marine in particular Ron and Clint for taking me out Oct. 17 for a test drive of the 09 VLX with diamond hull. It was 9 degrees C (48 F) that day so it was a little chilly. The boat was impressive, it felt like a much smaller boat during the testing. The throttle and steering response were really smooth, no effort what so ever. We had the boat with full ballast and wedge down and did power turns and it spun on a dime with no effort, it also felt solid driving through the boats chop (small double up's). I thought the 350 hp monsoon with the lower pitch prop had more than enough get up out of the hole with full ballast and I did not find the engine noise an issue. Top speed and four people was 40 mph using the lower pitched prop. It was too cold for anyone to board but honestly the wake behind this boat is great, there is more than enough for anybody looking to go big. I took photos at various wedge settings with full ballast and compared it to the wake hull wake photos and saw very little difference; yeah I know only photos. I'd have no qualms with the diamond hull wake board wake or surf. The wake is so adjustable with the wedge, you can see the shape change with every wedge adjustment. I've driven boats with the trim tab and there were only subtle changes seen not so with the wedge. At 28 mph plus you see the wake start to flatten out nicely and at higher speeds hitting chop the ride was smooth and quiet. The surf wake with stock ballast looked really good, extra ballast will make it all you could ask for. The maliview was just plain cool, easy to use and everything visible at a glance; I liked it. There was great visibility over the dash and the driver seat was comfortable; the heated seat that day was soooo nice to have. The other guy with us was trading in his 06 VLX and he was totally impressed with all the changes/improvements. I thought this boat would be to big for my family but I've changed my mind, definetly want an 09 VLX. I'm sure there are things I've forgot to mention but thats it for now. Thanks again WLM.

Hey kingfish, did you happen to get any feedback on skiing behind the 09 vlx? Recreational only nothing to serious. I would like a boat that is decent for skiing, wake boarding and surfing but is bigger than the VTX.

I did not really focus on the skiing aspect but we all agreed a longer line length would be needed. From where i sat it looked ok based on my crappy skill level. I've got no concerns with the wake at 10, 22 or at 30 of course riding behind the boat would be the best test.