Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon Winterization guide?

With heaters and showers you really want to blow air at a minimum or the best way is to pump antifreeze through it. Gravity really won't drain all the water from inside the core, which is really the part that will break when it freezes.

I suggest using a drill pump from your local hardware store, and a garden hose coupler to a 5/8" barb fitting. Use this on one side to attach to either supply or return line going to the heater. Attach a short (shorter the better) hose to the intake side of the pump and stick it in a gallon jug of anti-freeze. Press go and pump the entire gallon through the heater core, and if you want right through the engine and out the block drain plugs. A v-drive may take a little more, but a gallon is a good size. Best way to ensure your heater stays solid for next spring.

Peter :)

Thanks for the input Peter. The trick with the radiator flush Ts is one I've used for about 10 years. And the guys who showed it to me used to be in charge at HO/Hyperlite. We all rode a lot in the winter in Seattle, and consequently winterized our boats a lot. So I think we've down pretty good doing it.

But this is a different boat, with the heater core quite a bit further away from the engine. So last night I was setting up the Vride with a pair of the Flush Ts in the heater lines in the bilge (see pic), and considering what you said. I can pull these two caps by reaching down behind the engine between the muffler & the serpentine belt...... no need to pull the side wall or all the gear stashed in the side. I'm thinking about installing a 3rd one up by the heater core, under the driver's side dash. So the winterization process will be a bit more simple.... I'll just remove those three caps. And I can use a drill pump & push some antifreeze thru it all from under the dash.

I'll still have to pull the hose from the V-drive. And the shower hoses (which are all easy to get to under the back seat). But this will make things a bit easier. And I think there is still one or two hoses up by the thermostat to pull.

I had my last boat setup so that I could drain everything in less than 3 minutes...... usually on the ramp right after we pulled it out.

post-821-1223483689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Here is a maintenance, winterization, dewinterization list I personally created for my 2008 Vride with LCR engine.

Oil Change:

1. Connect garden hose to flush pro

2. Warm Engine

3. Remove oil plug on top of engine

4. Extract Engine Oil via oil drain hose

5. Extract Transmission & V-drive ATF oil via dip stick holes

6. Remove Oil filter (place cut off 1G milk jug below & oil absorption pads below that) and allow to drop into milk jug

7. Clip oil drain hose back on high point of engine

8. Replace new oil filter (Napa Gold 1069)

a. Fill ½ to ¾ full

b. Oil rubber gasket

9. Add engine oil Chevron Delo 400 SAE 15W-40 (service cat CI-4 PLUS)

10. Add ATF Oil (Valvoline is fine) to transmission & v-drive

11. Check oil levels, run engine, and recheck

Winterization:

1. Add fuel stabilizer to tank and run boat for 15 minutes

2. Perform oil change service above

3. Fog engine for 30 seconds at idle (remove spark arrestor)

4. Clean spark arrestor with brake cleaner or compressed air (spray inside out)

5. Drain Water at following 7 locations (I personally marked with ‘W’):

a. 2x brass nuts on either side of the bottom of engine (drains engine block)

b. Quick connect hose (near oil drain hose) (drains exhaust manifolds)

c. Drain Nut in bottom front of engine (or hose clamp, but nut is preferred) (drains transmission cooler & line running to impeller)

d. hose clamp on back of engine (drains engine water circulation pump)

e. hose clamp rear bottom of engine (drains fresh water intake and impeller pump)

f. hose clamp on top, rear, port side of engine; blow compressed air, will push water out fresh water intake (drains heater)

6. Spray WD40 over engine except pulleys & belts

7. Block Trailer (blocks on axel near tires)

8. Grease trailer bearings

9. Remove cushions

10. Insert fan and moisture crystals

Dewinterization:

1. Change impeller

2. Run engine for a few minutes to burn off WD40 (it will smoke), then wipe down engine with a rag

3. Check all seven locations for water leaks

Even Year Service:

1. Fuel filter (inside gas tank?)

2. Spark plugs

When Needed:

1. Engine Belt (alternator and water circulator pump)

2. ½ pump of grease to steering nipple (very bottom back of boat hidden from view) ***only do this if steering stiffens***

Purchase Items:

1. Oil filter Napa Gold 1069

2. Oil Chevron Delo 400 15W-40

3. Spark plugs

4. Fogger

5. Vavoline ATF (non synthetic)

6. Moisture Crystals

7. Brake Cleaner

Edited by Cory