Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trying to get a 23LSV

CrazyTegger

From what Ive heard..... 8/10 Pro Riders cant tell a difference between boats with or without diamond hull. Its only noticeable at higher speeds. But im new here so im sure it has been argued about numerous times.

It has been argued at length, any search will show you that. Here's my opinion....if you wakeboard & surf, with no slalom really in the mix, then why in the world would you compromise? Whether it's true or not makes no difference, if you're going to spend that much money then you should buy what you want & not compromise. There are enough boats out there that fit the description.

FWIW my own personal experience with the 2 would indicate that there is a difference, both for boarding & surfing.

Bake's in Seattle has 2 08 23LSV's left (They had 3 until last friday when i snatched the best the 3 up:). The two remaining boats are both diamond hull, one is pretty light on options and the other one is better equipted. One is mainly white with a little bit of blue trim and the other one is brown and black. They also have 2 09's sitting on the lot (but without Mali-vue.. and if you are going to get an 09 then why not spring for Malivue) Can't say enought good things about the guys at Bakes. Give Bret a call. They will really take care of you.

If we do get an 09, we will wait for the spring. We're just looking at 08's because it's the end of the season pretty much, but there's still a few weekends left of decent weather

Bake's in Seattle has 2 08 23LSV's left (They had 3 until last friday when i snatched the best the 3 up:). The two remaining boats are both diamond hull, one is pretty light on options and the other one is better equipted. One is mainly white with a little bit of blue trim and the other one is brown and black. They also have 2 09's sitting on the lot (but without Mali-vue.. and if you are going to get an 09 then why not spring for Malivue) Can't say enought good things about the guys at Bakes. Give Bret a call. They will really take care of you.

Congrats! Post up some pics of your new boat pls.

Thanks. I posted some photos here:

Photos...

Thanks. I posted some photos here:

Photos...

Nice. I can't believe I missed that post. I am still recuperating from vacation! Seems like I saw that same sunset from Priest Lake.

So after discussing things with the dealer, the lowest price he'll give to me is 75k. The MSRP is 92k on the boat, which is 10k higher than most that I've seen around. I still feel uneasy about the cost for the boat. I mean, it's got a butt load of options, but I figured I would be able to get it down to 70k. The dealership actually price matched 69,999k from another boat, but then because there's more options, he added another $3,700 and then another $1300 due to almost no hours. Here's the list

2 Tower Speakers (1 Set) - $1333

2 Tower Lights (1 Set) - $1364

Sport Seating & Heated Passenger Seat - $1000

The speakers and lights are WAY overpriced... I bet they don't cost more than $300 between the two of them realistically.

The dealer really pushed their customer service and the fact that if there's any major warranty work to be done, it must be done at the purchasing dealership. I think basically he stated without saying it that if we buy elsewhere, he's not going to service our boat...

Edited by CrazyTegger

It's still $10K overpriced.

As long as you deal with him respectfully, and just honestly tell him that $65K is your budget, he shouldn't hold a grudge. Warranty work is still business for his dealership, unless he's insanely busy, since their territoriality makes them the only game in town...

The dealers are pretty wank with their territorial mindset, all to eliminate local competition. If you do find another boat somewhere, you may be able to work out a deal with your local dealer to go pick it up for you and do the sale through him. We did that here in the States, but I don't know if it would work cross-border.

Saving at least $10K would be worth a little pain to me. Plus, you could skip the tower lights and extra speakers and just get them on EBay for around the discount you mention...Not sure if you need the tower lights anyway. The dock lights are pretty good, IMHO...

Mike

So after discussing things with the dealer, the lowest price he'll give to me is 75k. The MSRP is 92k on the boat, which is 10k higher than most that I've seen around. I still feel uneasy about the cost for the boat. I mean, it's got a butt load of options, but I figured I would be able to get it down to 70k. The dealership actually price matched 69,999k from another boat, but then because there's more options, he added another $3,700 and then another $1300 due to almost no hours. Here's the list

The speakers and lights are WAY overpriced... I bet they don't cost more than $300 between the two of them realistically.

The dealer really pushed their customer service and the fact that if there's any major warranty work to be done, it must be done at the purchasing dealership. I think basically he stated without saying it that if we buy elsewhere, he's not going to service our boat...

It's still $10K overpriced.

As long as you deal with him respectfully, and just honestly tell him that $65K is your budget, he shouldn't hold a grudge. Warranty work is still business for his dealership, unless he's insanely busy, since their territoriality makes them the only game in town...

The dealers are pretty wank with their territorial mindset, all to eliminate local competition. If you do find another boat somewhere, you may be able to work out a deal with your local dealer to go pick it up for you and do the sale through him. We did that here in the States, but I don't know if it would work cross-border.

Saving at least $10K would be worth a little pain to me. Plus, you could skip the tower lights and extra speakers and just get them on EBay for around the discount you mention...Not sure if you need the tower lights anyway. The dock lights are pretty good, IMHO...

Mike

I did a calculation as to whether or not it would be worth it to go down to the states, and between the exchange rate, tax at the border and trailer tax, it costs about an extra $9500 added on to the cost. So if we bought a boat for 65000 * 1.08(exchange rate) = 70,200 + 5% Tax = 73,710, plus $2000 trailer tax import = $75,710

Then there's the cost it takes to get down to wherever we're getting the boat and it's probably an extra $1500-$2500 for lodging, gas and transportation (we don't own a truck). That would bring the total up to about $78,000. The shop has told me flat out that they're shop is so busy they don't have time for customer's they didn't sell the boat to. There is a dealer 2 hours away, but since we don't have a truck, it'll be harder.

So what we're going to do is privately sell the boat with a marina. They sold our last boat and took a tiny commission, so if we can end up getting an extra 5k compared to trading in, it'll be worth it. The dealer also said that he would lower the cost if we he didn't have to deal with a trade in on the boat. So we'll probablyt be able to get another 1k dropped off the price... so overall, the saving is an extra 13k which is great.

I hope that made sense...

Anyways, the total ends up around 78k after all is said and done. So for us, it's not very practical for us to look elsewhere...

tell him to pull the tower speakers and lights off the boat. That is highway robbery.

I agree with him pulling the lights and tower speakers. You can probably get better quality speakers than what is currently on there. My vote is for Wetsounds tower speakers!!

Jamie

tell him to pull the tower speakers and lights off the boat. That is highway robbery.

I agree with him pulling the lights and tower speakers. You can probably get better quality speakers than what is currently on there. My vote is for Wetsounds tower speakers!!

Jamie

They are wetsound... He said that he replaced all 4 tower speakers with them because the stock ones are crappy. Not to take away from anyone with stock tower speakers... his words not mine. Don't kill the messenger. haha

Edited by CrazyTegger

I did a calculation as to whether or not it would be worth it to go down to the states, and between the exchange rate, tax at the border and trailer tax, it costs about an extra $9500 added on to the cost. So if we bought a boat for 65000 * 1.08(exchange rate) = 70,200 + 5% Tax = 73,710, plus $2000 trailer tax import = $75,710

The tax you pay at the border is the same tax you will pay at your dealer and the only extra cost regarding your trailer is an inepection cost once you get back to BC.

The tax you pay at the border is the same tax you will pay at your dealer and the only extra cost regarding your trailer is an inepection cost once you get back to BC.

inspection cost... i had forgotten the name. yeah we still have to pay the tax either way, but the exchange rate and trailer inspection is my main focus.

I think that being able to stay in my home town to get the boat serviced is going to be the most benneficial in the long run

Edited by CrazyTegger

Aaaaaaaaand the verdict is in. We are now the very proud owners of a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. Will post pics after this weekend! I guess I better change my profile!

Edited by CrazyTegger
Aaaaaaaaand the verdict is in. We are now the very proud owners of a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. Will post pics after this weekend! I guess I better change my profile!

Partytime.gif

Congrats and welcome ot the club! Today marks 1 week with out new 08 23LSV and it's been the best week of my summer! Can't wait to see the photos!

Edited by gregtay
Congrats and welcome ot the club! Today marks 1 week with out new 08 23LSV and it's been the best week of my summer! Can't wait to see the photos!

We're so unbelievably stoked. half of our family is going to be so surprised tomorrow. We're going to play a joke that we can't use the boat cause it's taking on water. so I'll head over to the marina, pick up the new boat and then bring it back. SOO STOKED