Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 FXI - What Is It?

zigzag

I just want to know what was wrong with the old design that had two cupholders above the observer seat? Dontknow.gif Did we really need the mother of all glove boxes? No.gif

Exactly. I am going to make something this winter. Cover it with the same grey carpeting as my boat, then mount a couple of the stainless cup holders. I just have to figure out where to mount it. maybe one on the floor to the side of the pylon?

Exactly. I am going to make something this winter. Cover it with the same grey carpeting as my boat, then mount a couple of the stainless cup holders. I just have to figure out where to mount it. maybe one on the floor to the side of the pylon?

I'd probably try a double, mounted on the floor in the corner between the gunnel and the observer seat base. Out of the way of foot traffic, or at least more so than by the pylon.

I just want to know what was wrong with the old design that had two cupholders above the observer seat? Dontknow.gif Did we really need the mother of all glove boxes? No.gif

How about in the corner where the observers seat base meets the hull, probably less likely to catch any toes there either.

I'd probably try a double, mounted on the floor in the corner between the gunnel and the observer seat base. Out of the way of foot traffic, or at least more so than by the pylon.
How about in the corner where the observers seat base meets the hull, probably less likely to catch any toes there either.

Must be an echo in here... ;)

I agree with the glovebox comments. Personally, I like the flat dash from the older boats with the drop-in glove-box and cupholders everywhere. We use those cupholders all the time, and I like the flat dash too. That's where my towel and clothes go when I'm on the water early in the morning. When I get out of the water. Plus, I think the speakers work better that way.

I like that they're trending back to the 3 piece sundeck on their Vdrives! Now, about that glovebox... :)

Edited by UWSkier

Good suggestion! I'm guessing that's where it will end up. Thanks guys.

you should see something soon, as I know the right guy at the factory and know they're planning on taking one to FLA to get AWWA certification. So you will see something in the WSM BBG however they aren't really reviews as much as a reprint of the factory brochure. They are still going to use the lxi as their tournement flagship for 3 event.

I agree with the glovebox comments. Personally, I like the flat dash from the older boats with the drop-in glove-box and cupholders everywhere. We use those cupholders all the time, and I like the flat dash too. That's where my towel and clothes go when I'm on the water early in the morning. When I get out of the water. Plus, I think the speakers work better that way.

I like that they're trending back to the 3 piece sundeck on their Vdrives! Now, about that glovebox... :)

Not on topic, but how do you figure? The Ride series has the older 3 piece, but the all of the Wakesetters & Sunscapes have 2 piece.

So they are hoping it will be an "approved towboat"? Thats interesting

If it truly is a replacement for the SLXI Classic, then it would have to be. Getting it approved goes a long way to that end even if it's just a marketing ploy.

Not on topic, but how do you figure? The Ride series has the older 3 piece, but the all of the Wakesetters & Sunscapes have 2 piece.

So they are hoping it will be an "approved towboat"? Thats interesting

If it truly is a replacement for the SLXI Classic, then it would have to be. Getting it approved goes a long way to that end even if it's just a marketing ploy.

I personally like the two hatch system better, so I'm glad they kept it.

I'd like to ski behind the FXI and wonder how it compares to the SLXI. No weight has been given but being a wider boat I'm wondering if it'll through off the timing through the wake before you turn for the bouy.

Good suggestion! I'm guessing that's where it will end up. Thanks guys.

Shot of a Response FXI on boattrader. Is big brother listening?

ResponseFXI.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
you should see something soon, as I know the right guy at the factory and know they're planning on taking one to FLA to get AWWA certification. So you will see something in the WSM BBG however they aren't really reviews as much as a reprint of the factory brochure. They are still going to use the lxi as their tournement flagship for 3 event.

Do you know when they were planning to do the AWWA certificaton? Do you know anyone that has taken it through the slalom course? LXI vs. FXI slalom comparison would be nice to see. I still think it will be hard to go head to head against the LXI!

• 1 month later...

Do you know when they were planning to do the AWWA certificaton? Do you know anyone that has taken it through the slalom course? LXI vs. FXI slalom comparison would be nice to see. I still think it will be hard to go head to head against the LXI!

From the WaterSki Mag Test:

Just got back from WS mag test. It all went well. The FXI was skied back to back with the Lxi and the test skier said…”I could not tell a difference between the boats at 28 off and 32 off.” He also barefooted the boat and was equally impressed. Pretty good news for this boat. Todd Restacelli also said the rope did not touch at 32 off but would bump the (Illusion X) tower at 35 off. Probably not effecting the skier too much though. I did not get the pics though.

Matt Hickman also went behind the boat and was impressed with the shape and size for this boat. 65’ back and 21mph was good…the faster the speed the smaller the wake…..slower the speed the bigger the wake..(obviously)

___

Now here's the more valuable one -

From the USA Waterski Test:

Tests really went Great. There are basically three approval designations at these tests.

1) Non Approval

2) Class C approval ( this is for regular and fun sanctioned tournaments)

3) Class R or Record Capable tournaments (These are tournaments that skier performance’s can be submitted for any record consideration like World, Regional, National, etc. Record approval for boats require faster acceleration time, shorter distances to reach speed and tighter side to side or centerline deviations measurements under skier loads.

FXi will receive Record Capable status.

After using and skiing this model when the dealers were in a few weeks ago I thought it skied pretty good. Took the boat home and had my wife Joy ski it and she also thought it was good especially for the boats size. I did make a last minute decision to put the 400 HP engine in as the Monsoon would have had trouble making the R approval. The 400 did take it over the top with the drivers and skiers and made the boat much easier to prop. I looked at ski wake ratings which are on a 0-5 scale. 0 being the wake has no effect on the skier crossing the wake and 5 has a major effect on the skier. No ratings at tested line lengths (15-35 off) got more than a 2 which I haven’t done even with a LX or LXi. Overall boat went great, we were ready for the test and boat performed fantastic in all areas.

....And now you know.

Peter :)

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I knew it would be decent, but record capable ratings.

Surprised and Impressed. A true tournament Crossover with lots of space. Dare I ask if people will like it more than the Sunsetter LXI?