Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vlx from dealer..

mogge1

This may have been mentioned already, but something to check on the shower is the filter screens in the mixing valve body. Mine clog all the time to the point where I'm about ready to just pull the shower out of my boat because every time I go to use it, it's plugged up. Pump will come on, but no flow out of the shower. These screens are found behind the hot and cold dials where the hoses connect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mogge1

• Faceplant409

• SunriseH2OSkier

• D-GOOSE

This may have been mentioned already, but something to check on the shower is the filter screens in the mixing valve body. Mine clog all the time to the point where I'm about ready to just pull the shower out of my boat because every time I go to use it, it's plugged up. Pump will come on, but no flow out of the shower. These screens are found behind the hot and cold dials where the hoses connect.

IN line strainer will fix your problem and much easyier to clean out.

This comment is not constructive at all, but I flew out twice to meet the breeder of my $1600.00 Great Dane before I bought him. Seems strange that you would not want to meet your new 40k plus baby in person? And honestly, you might have bought it anyway.

All of those issues are easy cheesy, 1000 bucks or less easy. Find any mechanic (car boat or otherwise).

Morgan, congrats on the new to you bu. I have been watching this unfold and have read all your past posts and threads. You have started threads asking for help but never went back to report to the members at what repairs you tried, what worked or didn’t work. As mentioned numerous time’s Peter has a great reputation, gives great advise and is one of the people I could take for his word. IMO Peter is a top-notch dealer and wish he was in my area. If you didn’t want to attack the dealer then you would have asked for help on each problem as you had started to do with past threads.

Your title “Everything didn’t work as it should” made me think you had a major problem with the boat. But what I’m finding out is you have just little issues (feel lucky) to work out and it may be from the long trip. IMO Peter has given you great help at fixing your issues. With you being over seas and no dealer near you, things will take time to get repaired.

You stated “Oh well.. I guess these things won’t be solved here then,.

Thanks anyways..” What do you want to come out of this thread?

JMO but this is some of the things I would try do in order to have your issues fixed.

Go back to your other threads, let us know what you have done/tried and if you have fixed the problem or need more help.

Make contact with Peter in a private E-mail and see what you have to do for warranty on some items. That is if you still have a problem with them.

If you send E-mail with out a response with in a few days resend it or make a call. People get busy and some times over look a message from time to time.

Morgan it sounds like you have found a sweet boat at a great deal with a dealer that is willing to work with you. The problems you have are just the little things in life and just think of how bad of a deal you could have received with the wrong dealer. I can't imagine paying so much money for some thing that I couldn't put my hands and eyes on before buying. You found a great trust in Peter and you may just want to keep it and a great relationship with him. Peter has vast knowledge and with you not having a dealer in your area, SWS is going to be your best place to go for replacement parts and help.

Sorry for the long read but this is JM2C

I am bad at following up the threads, I know.. But people write that there only can be a few things that can be the problem.

I check thoose things and then if that doesn´t work I think that we run out of ideas. That there is nothing to level with.

That there is nothing else to do.

I suppose the issues are not that big I was just dissapointed that it didn´t work.

I´ve had other skiboats before and had never had any problems really.

What I wanted out of the thread was tips and ideas about my situation.

Perhaps other bought and shipped boats a long way.

Also to know of good dealers etc because I know I will buy another boat one day.

I think my first impression of SWS is the most correct one. That they are great.

And because of that I trusted them enough to go through with this.

Thanks again that everyone is taking time writing!

/ Morgan

Edited by mogge1

There are always two sides to every story. Appears the dealer was trying to do all they could to help this situation, but perhaps were a little tardy on answering emails. So perhaps the original post was not needed, but then again it certainly got a quick response from the dealer.

Nine times out of ten, it comes down to communication. I see more complaints about people and emails. My advice is to pick up the phone and call, work it out one-on-one and discuss the details in real time two-way communication!! In addition, you can even use several types of free software to teleconference and discuss details while viewing pictures of problems, etc.

Good luck to both.

The thread is not about the dealer really, it is about solving the issues about the boat ! 
The dealer have been great, as many people say here, (good publicity, that´s why I in the end bought the boat from them. But still, the issues remain. I might have trouble getting that through. My english isn´t the best.

Strange thing is that I´ve tried all of thoose things with the heater and shower etc. As you bring up here.
Still not working.

And I´m not a first time boat owner that are useless with boats and mechanics,
believe it or not, just been into other brands before.

[b]Oh well.. I guess these things won´t be solved here then,.[/b]
Thanks anyways..

I am bad at following up the threads, I know.. But people write that there only can be a few things that can be the problem.
I check thoose things and then if that doesn´t work I think that we run out of ideas. That there is nothing to level with.
That there is nothing else to do.
I suppose the issues are not that big I was just dissapointed that it didn´t work.
I´ve had other skiboats before and had never had any problems really.

What I wanted out of the thread was tips and ideas about my situation.
Perhaps other bought and shipped boats a long way.
Also to know of good dealers etc because I know I will buy another boat one day.
I think my first impression of SWS is the most correct one. That they are great.
And because of that I trusted them enough to go through with this.

Thanks again that everyone is taking time writing!
/ Morgan

Keep working w/ the dealer and asking questions here to get your issues resolved. Report back what works and doesn't so everyone can then form a suggestion for you to try.

Keep up a more positive attitude, comments like this (Oh well.. I guess these things won´t be solved here then) are less inspiring for others to help out. The crew has a vast knowledge base to draw upon, keep the questions coming and we'll hopefully have the answer if nothing else eliminate possible issues.

I bought a Vlx -06 and got it shipped to another country

-Smooth water sports. They told me the boat was in good to great condition...

When I got the boat it was and still is a few issues with it...

I wrote the seller at Smooth water sports and they told me they would ship me a new cover.

(The rest they cannot help me with :( - There are no Malibu dealers around. )...

And if there is anything to do?

Or is it just to accept that they didn´t deliver what I bought from them?

If a boat is in good to great condition I expected all the equipment to work...

/ Morgan

As everyone has said, Peter and Smooth Water Sports have a great reputation on this site. Your original post came across as a bit harsh, although it may not have been your intention. Re-read the excerpts I have in the quote and maybe you'll understand people's reaction. Maybe your English skills led to a sentence that was not clear ("When I got the boat it was and still is a few issues with it"). Did you mean when you got the boat it was in good condition, but there are a few issues that need attention?

Undoubtedly, Peter did communicate steps towards resolution on most all of your items, yet you implied that he told you that you are on your own to troubleshoot and fix them. It looks like you have many things to try and you will most likely be successful. In the event that you are not, you now have the information on a local (at least in Sweden) dealer to take it to.

Now, can we all make nice? ;)

I bought a Vlx -06 and got it shipped to another country

-Smooth water sports. They told me the boat was in good to great condition...

When I got the boat it was and still is a few issues with it...

I wrote the seller at Smooth water sports and they told me they would ship me a new cover.

(The rest they cannot help me with :( - There are no Malibu dealers around. )...

And if there is anything to do?

Or is it just to accept that they didn´t deliver what I bought from them?

If a boat is in good to great condition I expected all the equipment to work...

/ Morgan

As everyone has said, Peter and Smooth Water Sports have a great reputation on this site. Your original post came across as a bit harsh, although it may not have been your intention. Re-read the excerpts I have in the quote and maybe you'll understand people's reaction. Maybe your English skills led to a sentence that was not clear ("When I got the boat it was and still is a few issues with it"). Did you mean when you got the boat it was in good condition, but there are a few issues that need attention?

Undoubtedly, Peter did communicate steps towards resolution on most all of your items, yet you implied that he told you that you are on your own to troubleshoot and fix them. It looks like you have many things to try and you will most likely be successful. In the event that you are not, you now have the information on a local (at least in Sweden) dealer to take it to.

Now, can we all make nice? ;)

Did you mean when you got the boat it was in good condition, but there are a few issues that need attention?

Yes you are correct.

I cleaned out the hooses and "house" of the shower today. It was really dirty. But that didn´t work, so I bought a new pump and now that also works ! Thumbup.gifClap.gif

But the heater is still my biggest problem and what I want to have working most of all !

As said, This is not giving sms any bad reputation, They get lots of good publicity.

So I hope there are no hard feelings..

The heater motor does blow, right? And the boat was in the water, up to temperature, and motor above idle speed?

P

Edited by Faceplant409
The heater motor does blow, right? And the boat was in the water, up to temperature, and motor above idle speed?

P

Yes, The fan runs, The enguine is hot and running.. Still only cold air coming out.

P

Yes, The fan runs, The enguine is hot and running.. Still only cold air coming out.

The first thing I would do is check to make sure the hoses are connected to the water system. For whatever reason (leaky heater core, split hose?) they could have been disconnected and/ or bypassed.

Once you find them, if they are intact disconnect them and blow through them to assure there is no blockage.

Good luck!

Pat

P

The first thing I would do is check to make sure the hoses are connected to the water system. For whatever reason (leaky heater core, split hose?) they could have been disconnected and/ or bypassed.

Once you find them, if they are intact disconnect them and blow through them to assure there is no blockage.

Good luck!

Pat

They are connected, It is lack of space where the heater is. so it makes it hard to work with it but I will try to dig into that tomorrow. And yes the boat runs and the fan is on but never any hot air at all..

Glad the hot shower is working Rockon.gif now lets fix that heater.

When the motor is hot and sitting at idle, the heater will only blow cold air. Take is up to speed or a higher RPM and recheck. Also feel the hose's to see if hot water is flowing into the heater core. Follow the lines all the way from the motor to the heater and back to the motor. Some one may have put a shut off valve in line and its off.

P

Good luck!

Pat

They are connected, It is lack of space where the heater is. so it makes it hard to work with it but I will try to dig into that tomorrow. And yes the boat runs and the fan is on but never any hot air at all..

There are 3 or 4 screws that hold the driver's foot panel to the floor. You'll have to look for them, but they are there. Remove them and the panel should come off. (Mine is a 2004, but yours SHOULD be the same...) This will give you better access to the heater fan and exchanger/coil for inspection.

P

Good luck!

Pat

I tried blowing through the hoses, one, the other one, and also with the heater house connected, no blockage or anything.

The hoses then.. It goes from the motor (on top of the motor), to the heater (connection furtherst in) From the heater (Connection furtherst out) And back to a y connection next to the motor.. Ideas ?

I tried connecting the heater hoses to the exhaust connection and got it blowing warm air ! Thumbup.gifClap.gif

Beautiful !!

But I also put the hose that was on the exhaust connection on the y connection..

The motor (after 20 min) didn´t reach more than 50 celsius or 120 F. When running it even got colder..

So the hoses can not be right.

Someone who could explain the hoses connections a bit better? Wich one where ? etc..

Edited by mogge1
I tried blowing through the hoses, one, the other one, and also with the heater house connected, no blockage or anything.

The hoses then.. It goes from the motor (on top of the motor), to the heater (connection furtherst in) From the heater (Connection furtherst out) And back to a y connection next to the motor.. Ideas ?

I tried connecting the heater hoses to the exhaust connection and got it blowing warm air ! Thumbup.gifClap.gif

Beautiful !!

But I also put the hose that was on the exhaust connection on the y connection..

The motor (after 20 min) didn´t reach more than 50 celsius or 120 F. When running it even got colder..

Someone who could explain the hoses connections a bit better? Wich one where ? etc..

Glad to hear you are making some progress!

It's not clear to me what you mean when you say you connected the hoses to the 'exhaust connection'. Can you be a little more specific with respect to where on the engine you connected each hose when it finally started blowing warm air?

From a design intent standpoint, the hot water source for the heater should be from a port on the top of the engine near the thermostat housing. On your V-Drive, this will be at the end of the motor nearest the transom (which is actually the front of the motor), to the port side (left) of the T-Stat. The hose should be pointing relatively vertically off the top of the motor.

The return side hose should be attached in one of two places:

The first possibility is that it is connected to the side of the main engine water pump on the front of the motor (again, the front of the motor in a V-Drive actually faces the transom). The hose will come off the water pump horizontally, pointing toward the left side of the boat (to port). This was at one time the standard connection which will not generate much circulation of hot water (and consequently poor heat) at idle/low speed.

The second possibility is that the return hose is connected to a 'Y-Fitting' that should be located between your raw water pump (impeller) and the thru-hull water intake. You may have also heard of this referred to as the 'Low RPM Heat Fix'. There was a time when this fix was only available as an aftermarket add-on (not installed by Malibu). Not sure at what point Malibu made this a standard part of their install. In any event, there is lots of documented evidence that this configuration works quite well. Unfortunately, when Malibu started to install this part from the factory, they were installing it in the main hose after the raw water pump (between the raw water pump and the trans oil cooler). There is plenty of documented evidence that the fitting does not work nearly as well in this configuration.

Bottom line is that you referenced having a 'Y-connector' on your boat. That being the case, I would check to see where that fitting is installed.

By the way, I know it may have been disappointing to not have had everything work as you were expecting. And as indicated by many others here, your problems are not all that uncommon in the boating world. (Pretty common understanding around here that BOAT is just short for Bring On Another Thousand, or that a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into. ;) )

However, if you are like most of us here, you will find a whole new appreciation for your boat by learning about these relatively simple systems and debugging/fixing them yourself. Obviously not every problem will lend itself well to being a do-it-yourself kind of thing. But we do find it very rewarding (and often times faster/more convenient/less costly) to not have to rely on a dealer for every little thing. And maybe more importantly, the more you know about your boat, the better off you will be if you are unfortunate enough one day to have something break while you are out on the lake, enjoying time with the family.

Beautiful !!

Glad to hear you are making some progress!

It's not clear to me what you mean when you say you connected the hoses to the 'exhaust connection'. Can you be a little more specific with respect to where on the engine you connected each hose when it finally started blowing warm air?

From a design intent standpoint, the hot water source for the heater should be from a port on the top of the engine near the thermostat housing. On your V-Drive, this will be at the end of the motor nearest the transom (which is actually the front of the motor), to the port side (left) of the T-Stat. The hose should be pointing relatively vertically off the top of the motor.

The return side hose should be attached in one of two places:

The first possibility is that it is connected to the side of the main engine water pump on the front of the motor (again, the front of the motor in a V-Drive actually faces the transom). The hose will come off the water pump horizontally, pointing toward the left side of the boat (to port). This was at one time the standard connection which will not generate much circulation of hot water (and consequently poor heat) at idle/low speed.

The second possibility is that the return hose is connected to a 'Y-Fitting' that should be located between your raw water pump (impeller) and the thru-hull water intake. You may have also heard of this referred to as the 'Low RPM Heat Fix'. There was a time when this fix was only available as an aftermarket add-on (not installed by Malibu). Not sure at what point Malibu made this a standard part of their install. In any event, there is lots of documented evidence that this configuration works quite well. Unfortunately, when Malibu started to install this part from the factory, they were installing it in the main hose after the raw water pump (between the raw water pump and the trans oil cooler). There is plenty of documented evidence that the fitting does not work nearly as well in this configuration.

Bottom line is that you referenced having a 'Y-connector' on your boat. That being the case, I would check to see where that fitting is installed.

Thanks for the long reply.

The way you explain is the way it was from the beginning. And that doesn´t give any warm air at all.

From the top of the enguine (near the front) to the heater and back into the y-fitting. = No heat.

I Just tried to switch the hoses from the y fitting to the connection that is on the exhaust. One hose going from one side of the enguine to the other side (looks the same om both sides) Removed that and let that be on the y-fitting for the test.

I wanted to see if there some how could come warm air out of the blower, and it did.

But having it "the correct" way (If I understand it right) Doesn´t generate any warm air at all..

Thanks Jerry, Me, my friends and family are enjoying it even if it doesn´t have a heater.. yet ! ;)

Edited by mogge1
I Just tried to switch the hoses from the y fitting to the connection that is on the exhaust. One hose going from one side of the enguine to the other side (looks the same om both sides) Removed that and let that be on the y-fitting for the test.

Sorry, I'm still having a hard time understanding what you mean by 'the connection that is on the exhaust'? Can you take pictures and post for us to see?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Sorry, I'm still having a hard time understanding what you mean by 'the connection that is on the exhaust'? Can you take pictures and post for us to see?

Probably my bad english :( sorry about that.

But I looked at it again now, and it was pretty obvious ! The Y fitting WAS (I think) in the wrong direction. So I turned it around and I am now getting warm air out of the heater. :)Thumbup.gifClap.gif Not that warm but warm. I just took it for a test drive as well.. I didn´t think that it would come mounted in the wrong direction. But perhaps that solved the problem ? I will have to go wakeboarding and try it out right away. A great day, both hot water shower AND a heater. Rockon.gifYahoo.gif

(also, enguine temperature was back to normal again. )

Now it might be down to the remote control and cover.

The transome remote control lights up and the display works, but the buttons doesn´t. Wet or dry and in the sun for days it doesn´t work. I have followed the cables, but could that really be it, I mean the display works..

Any other idea about that one ?

I appreciate all the help people have come up with here so far.

Thanks !! Thumbup.gif

Probably my bad english :( sorry about that.

But I looked at it again now, and it was pretty obvious ! The Y fitting WAS (I think) in the wrong direction. So I turned it around and I am now getting warm air out of the heater. :)Thumbup.gifClap.gif Not that warm but warm. I just took it for a test drive as well.. I didn´t think that it would come mounted in the wrong direction. But perhaps that solved the problem ? I will have to go wakeboarding and try it out right away. A great day, both hot water shower AND a heater. Rockon.gifYahoo.gif

(also, enguine temperature was back to normal again. )

Now it might be down to the remote control and cover.

The transome remote control lights up and the display works, but the buttons doesn´t. Wet or dry and in the sun for days it doesn´t work. I have followed the cables, but could that really be it, I mean the display works..

Any other idea about that one ?

I appreciate all the help people have come up with here so far.

Thanks !! Thumbup.gif

Glad to hear on the Y-Fitting, though I'm a little surprised that flipping it end-for-end made a difference. I would still check to confirm that it is located on the proper side of your raw water pump.

Regarding the remote, is it safe to assume you have a Sony system? Is your remote the RM-XM10 (greenish display), or is it the RM-X55M (white display w/blue lettering)? The latter is a newer design and seems to be much more robust to the effects of water over time. Regardless of which remote, there are actually two cables that connect the remote to the head unit. One is just a simple 1/8" stereo cable, the other is a more complex multi-pin cable. Can't remember which is which, but if one of them is loose, it is possible to get the display to work but not the buttons. The cables could be loose at the remote end, or at the head unit end.

\

Glad to hear on the Y-Fitting, though I'm a little surprised that flipping it end-for-end made a difference. I would still check to confirm that it is located on the proper side of your raw water pump.

With the Y fitting the wrong way around after the impeller (where Malibu puts it) it forces nice cold lakewater through the heater (or atleast doesn't allow any flow). I'd made that fix several times on customers boats, all of them had heat after that.

-Chris

\

With the Y fitting the wrong way around after the impeller (where Malibu puts it) it forces nice cold lakewater through the heater (or atleast doesn't allow any flow). I'd made that fix several times on customers boats, all of them had heat after that.

-Chris

I agree, flipping it around to the correct side of the raw water pump will make a big difference. My interpretation of what Morgan wrote is that he just flipped it end-for-end in place where it was already located, which wouldn't make much difference.

Morgan - if it is mounted after the raw water pump (meaning, between the raw water pump and the rest of the engine system), you should move it to before the raw water pump (meaning, between the water intake in your hull and the raw water pump). This will require you to repair the old location where the Y-Fitting had been by inserting a union to join the two hose ends. You will then have to cut the hard-walled water hose that is on the other side of the raw water pump in order to install the Y-Fitting there. This will mean you will need a couple extra stainless steel hose clamps for the 1.25" hose.