Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where do you attach your wake surf rope ?

liljohn

Surf rope queshtion.  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you attach your rope?

• To the tower?
    • To the ski pylon?
    • So good you dont need a rope?
  2. 2. when surfing ropeless where do you throw the rope?

• Back in the boat?
    • on the other side of the wave?

We use both, but mainly the tower. When someone wants to see how far back they can ride (but also wants the rope in case they lose it) we attach it to the pylon. I almost always use the tower.

• 4 weeks later...
wow I'm surprised by the results so far.

I asked the question because the other day we were on a friends boat who likes the tower method. While surfing his friend was sitting in the back corner and was smacked by the rope. He was very upset to say the least. I explained to them that if you use the ski pylon this sorta thing can`t happen. He completely disagreed and said you can get up if its not on the tower. lol I showed him differently so I think he will be changing. While I agree that for your first couple times learning to get up it is a little easier from the tower I also feel that as soon as you get it you get moved to the pylon. kinda like the fat board its great to learn but once it all clicks the fat board is a crutch holding you back.

Yeah, I don't look at it that way. For us, the tower is a better way to control the rope and keep it out of the way. Also, better (much faster) for picking my surfer up out of the water. Our surf rope is sized for the tower and hooking to the pylon just wastes time and tends to be more in the way. I "get it" but I won't be moving to the pylon ever. The only single advantage I can see is that some dufus doesn't get his face slapped by the rope because he and the driver both weren't paying attention in the first place. Other than that, the pylon gives no advantage, and isn't as good of a place to hook up for surfing in my opinion. The tower is made for that anyway and does provide an advantage for the newbies we seem to take with us almost every time out, but I agree the bimini can be damaged by any of the towlines.

• 2 weeks later...
Just dont use a rope then nobody gets hurt Thumbup.gif

How do you get up then? Get back in the boat and start off the platform each time?

We always hook ours to the tower. Usually, if you're good enough to ride without the rope, you're good enough to take a second to throw the rope back into the boat gently. Granted, there are some that are just starting to ride without the rope that just huck it in, but who cares if someone gets hit with the rope....most of the time it's funny. To each their own. (But I still don't get how hooking the rope to the ski pylon prevents someone getting hit with the rope :Dontknow)

• 2 weeks later...
Just dont use a rope then nobody gets hurt Thumbup.gif

How do you get up then? Get back in the boat and start off the platform each time?

We always hook ours to the tower. Usually, if you're good enough to ride without the rope, you're good enough to take a second to throw the rope back into the boat gently. Granted, there are some that are just starting to ride without the rope that just huck it in, but who cares if someone gets hit with the rope....most of the time it's funny. To each their own. (But I still don't get how hooking the rope to the ski pylon prevents someone getting hit with the rope :Dontknow)

We just wait until the boat gets to speed standing on the swimplatform then off you go Thumbup.gif

We just wait until the boat gets to speed standing on the swimplatform then off you go Thumbup.gif

We do that (sometimes) for the first pass. Do you guys do that every time you fall?

lay on your board and hang on to the swim deck and then just stand up.

Whoa, how big of a board do you do that with?

We do that (sometimes) for the first pass. Do you guys do that every time you fall?

lay on your board and hang on to the swim deck and then just stand up.

Whoa, how big of a board do you do that with?

For myself and my better half thats how we ride but when we were learning we roped it non stop. Now that weve learned to ride and learned how to weight boat its a piece of cake. I always deck start even with a rope.

• 3 weeks later...
Gonna try wake surfing this summer for the fist time. Good input. I will try the tower if it doesn't interfere with the bimini top.

I've been surfing behind an 07 Vride for a couple years, and I've got the wave pretty dialed. If you need some advice on how to weight your boat (how much, where, speed, etc), let me know. It might save you a bit of time if you're new to it......

I've been surfing behind an 07 Vride for a couple years, and I've got the wave pretty dialed. If you need some advice on how to weight your boat (how much, where, speed, etc), let me know. It might save you a bit of time if you're new to it......

That would be great! I appreciate the help. I bought it in Aug last year, put 76 hours on it before Nov. This is my second BU and I love it.

Edited by Round 2
  • 1 month later...
Gonna try wake surfing this summer for the fist time. Good input. I will try the tower if it doesn't interfere with the bimini top.

We are taking deliver of our new VTX tomorrow and I would love to know how you are setting up your boat. What speeds do you like for begginers?

Either stand on the swim platform till the wake is good enough to get in or lay on your board and hang on to the swim deck and then just stand up.

Travis, are you kidding us!!! You will actually lay face down and hang on to the platform? Have you not read about all the deaths from teak surfing? You are putting your face directly into the exhaust stream. Pretty dangerous in my opinion! Dontknow.gif

I will also start off the swim platform--but you must also remember the rule. "Teak surfing" is not legal. Being on the swim deck while the boat is running can be considered teak surfing. In my area I had a run in with Johnny law about surfing behind the boat. We reviewed the rule together and he finally agreed that surfing behind the boat is not "teak surfing" even though I was only 2-4 feet behind the boat. Fortunately he did not see my start--which was off the swim platform.

Edited by Squag Mon
Either stand on the swim platform till the wake is good enough to get in or lay on your board and hang on to the swim deck and then just stand up.

Travis, are you kidding us!!! You will actually lay face down and hang on to the platform? Have you not read about all the deaths from teak surfing? You are putting your face directly into the exhaust stream. Pretty dangerous in my opinion! Dontknow.gif

For all of what, 15 seconds? It's not a big deal if your are down there for a short amount of time.

We are taking deliver of our new VTX tomorrow and I would love to know how you are setting up your boat. What speeds do you like for begginers?

For a simple setup throw a 750 in the locker fill surfside rear locker center tank and fill bow half, run around 10.4 to 10.6 wedge down. If you want to go bigger just keep adding weight.

Diamond or Wake Hull? I have had both.

If you have a Diamond you will NOT need additional ballast. Power wedge one "mark" up from full down, center and surf side ballast full and bow half full to full(depending on # of passengers). Speed as slow as you can go yet still get a "clean wash" off of the bottom. 10 - 11 mph (you will know because you will hear the exhaust clearly) The diamond produces a really tall and short wake. Almost to tall.

If you have the Wake hull, you will most likely need to add additional ballast to the surf side rear locker. It is actually a little tougher to get right but once you do you will find that it is a longer wake so you will be able to focus on more tricks etc. I ran my Wake Hull all last year with out extra ballast. However, we always needed to be sure we had alot of "human ballast" to get a decent wake. I run the wedge down with the Surf side and center tanks full and the bow empty to half full with the wake hull.

Oh yea! You need to have at least 8 - 10 foot of depth to get a decent wake with either.

Edited by Willy
  • 1 month later...

anybody ever use the pop out cleat on the side you surf on? learned this trick on a SAN a couple years ago.. seems to work well. I have yet to try this on my boat, but will soon.

• 1 month later...