Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If Malibu created a Moomba version

2007vtx

If Malibu created a Moomba version  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Malibu will create a cheaper brand name?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care unless it comes with a kegerator standard
  2. 2. Would you consider buying a Malumba?

• Yes
    • No, not even w/ a kegerator standard
    • Depends on quality and size of kegerator
  3. 3. I just wasted 2 minutes of my life participating in this poll

• True, what a waste
    • False, I have nothing better to do

It's true, we don't need the fancy new tower with springs to hold it up, don't need expensive decals or billet emblems on the interior. The cushy seats are nice, but we don't need 3 or 4 different colored pieces of vinyl on there. After all I'm either driving or skiing! I certantly don't need a billet dash, or digital switches. Forget the power wedge and the new expensive floating wedge, give me something simple. The malibu cruise is sweet, but maybe a simpler gage with no LCD costs less?I don't need no fancy catalytic converters on my boat, I'm not from CA! My trailer doesen't need to have more chrome than an escalade, give me 4 bunks, a winch, some drum brakes, greese bearings, and 1 axle to tow it all around on.

I think Malibu would do very well with a more budged orientated lineup under a new brand. They have the hulls and a darn good name to throw around. Just imagine the possible lineup:

Sporty: entry level ski

Response Lxi (03-06 hull): walk thru open bow ski

I-ride DD w/tower, ballast, wedge: entry level crossover

V-ride (08 and below): entry level wakeboard

Flightcraft, outboard: instant clut following!

Maybe even bring back the 04-07 23 LSV hull

Use the LCR as the only engine option, except for CA boats that need CAT's.

Limit the color choices and locations, interior and exterior.

All of these are small enough to tow around on a single axle trailer (except the 23') without a huge SUV or pickup truck.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalibuTime

• 2007vtx

• CumminsBu

• Arctic Slalom

And with what extra factory capacity would they use to build these?

Malibu used to be the Supra of the industry 15 years ago but not the Moomba.

The Tantrum never sold well and was dropped. Same with the Sportster.

Factory capacity goes to models that sell the most. See the LXi and XTi for proof.

People would shy away if they can't get certain options. That may close the door to those value models all together.

With what factory capacity....the factories had an extra long "vacation" this year, it wasn't to give everyone a nice break from building so many boats.

The tantrum became the sporster, which sold very well around here and is still a very well regared slalom and barefoot boat. The sporty was dropped as a result of the response lxi and the lx moving down into the entry level slot.

-Chris

the sporty's were selling for $35k in 05.... they added color to the gelcoat, towers, shower, heater, colors to the vinyl, fancier dash, gauges, etc, which all boosted prices up to that of the response. when they sell for 21k in 01 and 35k in 04 there is something wrong, and it isn't only because of inflation. JMO

Here's a question, if Malibu were to develop a lower-priced brand, where would they 'cut-back' such that there were real cost saving without sacrificing their name?

Lower quality components and/or construction would only burnish the Malibu name. You could de-content the boats...such as towers, ballast tanks, cruise, but then why buy a Malibu in the first place???

I think the Ride series fit the bill nicely for a 'budget' minded boat. Esp. since the adapting the 09s to the newer hulls

R&D is your answer, along with the other obvious stuff. They'll repurpose retired hulls. That will extend their molds that are fully depreciated. Assuming they don't want to purposely canibalize their existing line they would need to add net new manufacturing capacity. Again anticipated volume would drive the investment.

For all you that are saying why build a poor quality Bu, you are missing the point. These wouldn't be lower quality. They would be "outdated". Some don't care.

From the consumer's perspective it is mostly upside. The point about a potential hit to resale could be valid but that will depend on the pricing models used.

People just don't like change...kind of funny. Again I'm sure Bu Marketing LOVES this thread, especially the responses from the newbies.

Here's a question, if Malibu were to develop a lower-priced brand, where would they 'cut-back' such that there were real cost saving without sacrificing their name?

Lower quality components and/or construction would only burnish the Malibu name. You could de-content the boats...such as towers, ballast tanks, cruise, but then why buy a Malibu in the first place???

I think the Ride series fit the bill nicely for a 'budget' minded boat. Esp. since the adapting the 09s to the newer hulls

R&D is your answer, along with the other obvious stuff. They'll repurpose retired hulls. That will extend their molds that are fully depreciated. Assuming they don't want to purposely canibalize their existing line they would need to add net new manufacturing capacity. Again anticipated volume would drive the investment.

For all you that are saying why build a poor quality Bu, you are missing the point. These wouldn't be lower quality. They would be "outdated". Some don't care.

From the consumer's perspective it is mostly upside. The point about a potential hit to resale could be valid but that will depend on the pricing models used.

People just don't like change...kind of funny. Again I'm sure Bu Marketing LOVES this thread, especially the responses from the newbies.

Well...they could go with the Shane Stillman Special. Back when I skied for Chico, Shane and his dad let the team practice at their house the day before a tourney in Bakersfield. They had a Response hull (bottom half only), engine, ski pylon, driver's seat, and a makeshift dash (looked like it was made out of plywood): That's It! It looked like an oversized rowboat with an engine and steeringwheel. They used it for the slalom course. Talk about a boat with no bling (or wake for that matter). That thing ws a classic! Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pull back then Shane. (he kicked my @$$ in foosball that evening).

With what factory capacity....the factories had an extra long "vacation" this year, it wasn't to give everyone a nice break from building so many boats.

The tantrum became the sporster, which sold very well around here and is still a very well regared slalom and barefoot boat. The sporty was dropped as a result of the response lxi and the lx moving down into the entry level slot.

-Chris

The two week break was one week for line change and 1 week was due to lack of demand. So they have enough capacity to make another line of boats for a week out of the year? They just expanded the factory a couple years ago, if they want to add another line of models it would take a lot more capacity.

The Sportster may have sold well there but in their biggest market (Ca) I have seen one (Mike's), ever. Go to the factory for a tour, you won't see any there. The Sporty and Sunsetter LXi and XTi were dropped because they didn't sell well compared to other models. Fixed capacity equals low volume products being dropped.

I don't think a cheaper line is a good idea. Look what happened to the Ride series. Few wanted a "stripped down" boat so they accessorize them up to one notch below a VLX and now you are back where you started. A VLX.

Do we really have the market share to create a "Scion" line of boats?

I say keep the Ride series and work on dropping the price for an "entry" level boat.

Pat

Moomba is a boat about which I have not much knowledge (for good reason it sounds like). So what is "not good" about Moomba?

-Is it bad craftsmanship with the hull?

-Poor motors?

-Skeleton features?

-All of the above?

Is Moomba a lesser brand of Nautique or Mastercraft?

Moomba is made by Supra.

Well, as mentioned above, Skiers Choice makes Moomba, which also makes Supra in the same plant. I'm sure THEY are very interested in this thread as well. :)

All said, I think this is great research answers for questions that I'm sure Malibu has already asked. So the bigger question to me is ...

What SIZE and STYLE boat do you want for this entry level boat?

Direct Drive or V-Drive?

Walk-through open boat I am assuming......

But...90" beam? 93" beam? 98" beam?

and....20' long? 21' long? 22' long?

Peter. :)

The ever rising price of Malibu's is exactly why we don't own one right now. I personally think that a stripped down (even more then the v-ride) model would be a great idea. If they had it, we may still own a Malibu. We might be the minority, but we wanted a new, large boat but for a good price. We don't care for all the bling and new technology, we just wanted a large boat, with a good wake, and quality construction. Our boat basically came with the upgraded motor, tower, ballast and T/A trailer which is all we needed. The other stuff we have been adding on bit by bit as money allows.

I don't know if Malibu should create a whole new line (with a new name) or if they should just bring back stripped down versions of previous big sellers.

V-ride standard features should be:

1. LCR

2. Tower

3. S/A Trailer

4. Wedge bracket

Everything else can be added later. They should go back to basic gauges, basic gel patterns, less vinyl colors, no chrome or ss and I bet they could get the boat price down quite a bit!

probably get slammed for this but I buy a Malibu because I have the means, and I like the wow factor of MC, Natique, and Malibu. That being said if you can't afford a Malibu buy a "no name entry level" boat, I think a lesser boat sporting the Malibu badge will ruin it for the people that bought their high end line. Ultimately if they did this I would go MC (I know it wouldn't make or break Malibu if I didn't buy their boat) PS just my .02 FWIW

probably get slammed for this but I buy a Malibu because I have the means, and I like the wow factor of MC, Natique, and Malibu. That being said if you can't afford a Malibu buy a "no name entry level" boat, I think a lesser boat sporting the Malibu badge will ruin it for the people that bought their high end line. Ultimately if they did this I would go MC (I know it wouldn't make or break Malibu if I didn't buy their boat) PS just my .02 FWIW

No slam at all, it is your money and you should decide how to spend it.

But ponder this, our 95 echelon LX was just brought back to life (gelcoat cosmetics only) and i am loving it. This was an extremely well built, top of the line boat that was bought for 25k on a trailer. It is on the SV23 hull. So factor in inflation and the cost of a tower and you just dont get 40k. I have never needed perfect pass etc. We have a heater, a shower, a wedge, and two speedos. What else do you need that you can't add later?

Oh and for 25k you got 4 color gel AND vinyl. I think alot of the price on your pricier boats is just that. Malibu gained some traction from boats like the Echelon and decided that they could milk it, and good for them, i am still loving the echelon and you guys are still loving and paying for the new top of the line boats. It's a win win, but Malibu could decide any day to make a ride more like the echelon was, they are watching the markets more than we are!

I guess I didn't make the poll clear enough, I was thinking of making a new brand name so you would be safe w/ your Malibu name wow factor and resale.

Here is my idea for a 30k mspr wakeboard boat

-single axle trailer w/ no bling. I don't need 20 inch rims gimme 14 inchers paint them

-take the vride hull

-put the lcr in it. hell put a carb on it if you have to

-single gelcoat all white or all platinum

-decent tower no need to pre wire, no board racks or speakers

-malibu cruise. this little feature saves marriages/girlfriends, it is a must

-single color vinyl white or platinum with accent beading of white or platinum

-cheap radio 4 speakers

-cables for throttle and shifting unless fly by wire is cheaper

-wedge

-no ballast they can be added later by the consumer if need be

-simple gauges

-no bling, billett

-don't offer any options other than the color of boat and vinyl and they could plop these out in their sleep.

I think it could be done if they really focus on a bare bones boat. If you feel that you need the bling buy the malibu brand name. I have alot of friends that would buy a bare bones boat but can't afford a 60k boat.

And no I have no affiliation with malibu marketing, it was just a thought. I figured that most of you would think it was a bad idea because most of the people on this site have the means to have the most luxurious boat. I wonder what say a wakeworld response would be when most of those people are a little younger and don't have as much money. I could be way off track with all this and it is not possible to deliver a quality out of date hull for this price. Only Malibu knows.

Unless I become extremely successful in life I don't see myself getting a malibu (other than the one my father owns right now). I see myself in a moomba or supra, mainly because the malibu dealers in the NE that I have heard of or dealt with really haven't been that special, and I don't want to buy a used boat that I don't feel can be taken care of properly (or hasn't been taken care of properly).

I want $1.00 Gas and Diesel.

Everything starts off bare bone Car, Truck, Boat and even Tractors. Then add crazy features to attract new consumers and to look better then their competitor. I learned to Ski behind a 1974 Glaston Tri hull with a 65 Hp Mercury. Rockon.gif Tracks horrible and had folding lawn chairs for seats, Rockon.gif but that’s another story. I fell in love with skiing because of that boat and it was bare bones. I fell in love with Malibu because of their styling back in the 90’s sports car looks, but the pink strip in a lot of their color choices kills me and is a little out of date. Sorry but its true. Dontknow.gif Will I buy a 40k to 60k boat, I will because I love the sport. Even if Malibu came out with an economy line I would give them a look, but that bling will be hard to pass up, like a hurry fish to a shiny lure.

It’s still fun to ski behind that Glaston, reminds me where I came from.

Edited by CumminsBu
Unless I become extremely successful in life I don't see myself getting a malibu (other than the one my father owns right now). I see myself in a moomba or supra, mainly because the malibu dealers in the NE that I have heard of or dealt with really haven't been that special, and I don't want to buy a used boat that I don't feel can be taken care of properly (or hasn't been taken care of properly).

Oh Ouch, that hurts. (oh wait, are you talking about someone else?) hehehehe

I don't think we've talked, but if I can help let me know. Supra is as much as Malibu from a price point.

Peter :)

Perfect boat?

SV23 V-Ride Hull

All white with 1 color stripe

All white vinyl with 1 color bead

Simple tower with 2 board racks

Standard Wedge

Standard 3 tank ballast

Standard 4 speaker stereo (No amp)

Perfect pass as an option

That's it. I would buy one in a heartbeat but only after someone who couldn't afford it put 100 hours on it and lost some depreciation.

Well, as mentioned above, Skiers Choice makes Moomba, which also makes Supra in the same plant. I'm sure THEY are very interested in this thread as well. :)

All said, I think this is great research answers for questions that I'm sure Malibu has already asked. So the bigger question to me is ...

What SIZE and STYLE boat do you want for this entry level boat?

Direct Drive or V-Drive?

Walk-through open boat I am assuming......

But...90" beam? 93" beam? 98" beam?

and....20' long? 21' long? 22' long?

Peter. :)

the new VTX's with the diamond hull sounds sweet...

i'd say the phat beam (98"), 20' long, with V-drive and diamond hull (in a budget boat).

this would make one, exceptional cross-over boat.

can it be done for the mid 30's? -not sure. if it could, seems like they'd sell like mad.

i don't really like the idea of malibu coming out with a different name (Chevy vs. Cadillac).

it seems there are plenty of boat enthusiast out there who make good $$$, but they just can't justify a 50K+ boat for 5 months of pleasure (minnesota)...but then again those photos on wakeworld (of the 09 malibu factory tour) had me drooling.

i guess i never see my wife and I buying a new malibu...i just can't justify the cost?!

post-3641-1216928548_thumb.jpg

post-3641-1216928670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arctic Slalom