Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 blade prop, destroyed itself?

BlazerSS

I had 1 blade fly off my prop this weekend, I don't know who the manufacture was but I appreciate knowing that this can happen. The owners manual for our boats tell us to visually inspect for cracks, if I had seen this post earlier, I might have done just that and avoided the hastle.

This was on a 2000 Eschlon Corvette with 160 hours, happened at approx 5000 rpm- made a h--- of a bang. The two remaining blades have not one mark on them.

Where do I find a replacement 13X15 LH poloshed stainless prop? My MB dealer tells my they only get brass now.

You want mine? I'm taking the same prop off my '98 Echelon this weekend. Sell it to you nice'n cheap! Biggrin.gif However, I think mine is 13x13...but it's nice and shiny with no major dings!

Don't want the same fate to happen to me.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlazerSS

• NorCaliBu

• Malibudude

• Eric LX

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know the outcome of all this on here. I did not like the fact some went on and on about a bent shaft and that I hit something....

It is of course possible to hit something, however I did not.

Here is the pics of the repair, and for $150 bucks and some time waiting with a new OJ prop I am up and running. Oh ya plus I did the steering cable, and the rudder too...

Hope I can get the pics in here...

Take care and I hope you have all had some time on the H2O... as mine has been limited.

Jeff

23084430046_large.jpg

23084430042_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/...30045_large.jpg

23084430059_large.jpg

23084430044_large.jpg

23084430043_large.jpg

Edited by BlazerSS
Hey anyone heard of these Ss three blade props just blowing up? I am 99% sure I did not hit anything, and this blade is totally gone. I have hit stuff before, and naturally you see the damage, and feel the vibration, but this one is totally gone, and nothing was heard before she left go.. hmm

Your thoughts.. on this, as I cant find anything in the search.

Jeff

98 Response

My prop went at 125 Hours

• 1 month later...

Hey sorry about the late reply, but I am in afghan doing a rotation of troops in and out from Canada.

So for the shaft, dont forget that if you run it out of water the shaft will make an incredible sound to make you think it is bent. However due to no water to lube up the shaft, lol, it is probably ok. Unless you hit something life will be fine with a new prop, and someone to make a repair on any fibreglass. If you take a look at the pce this guy made for me, it is glued with something I have never heard of, and it is like a miracle cure for this issue. He assures me that it will never leak in this spot again... SO if you want one of these I will see if he can make a few and get them out to you.. no cost from me, just pass this on to you. As i lost a season from this BS...

Later all,

Nice to see some people are not pissed at me...

Jeff

The CVP prop at the heart of the discussion is a stainless steel prop. Stamped in the hub where the nut makes contact with the prop are the initials CVP along with the diameter and pitch.

Hey sorry about the late reply, but I am in afghan doing a rotation of troops in and out from Canada.

So for the shaft, dont forget that if you run it out of water the shaft will make an incredible sound to make you think it is bent. However due to no water to lube up the shaft, lol, it is probably ok. Unless you hit something life will be fine with a new prop, and someone to make a repair on any fibreglass. If you take a look at the pce this guy made for me, it is glued with something I have never heard of, and it is like a miracle cure for this issue. He assures me that it will never leak in this spot again... SO if you want one of these I will see if he can make a few and get them out to you.. no cost from me, just pass this on to you. As i lost a season from this BS...

Later all,

Jeff

pissed at you? no.

Thank you for your service to the country.

Later all,

Jeff

Why would you ask that?

The CVP prop at the heart of the discussion is a stainless steel prop. Stamped in the hub where the nut makes contact with the prop are the initials CVP along with the diameter and pitch.

Sigh of relief, looked today and have a Dymex mr Minus 13x13L that is in good shape. No sign of any damage from props and all other parts are stamped "Malibu". Now I need to start searching old posts to see what would be a good 2nd prop so I have a spare. I have heard a few people say that a 4 blade is the way to go but I need to learn why. Also, who is the top manufacturer for props?

So much to learn - so little time!

Sigh of relief, looked today and have a Dymex mr Minus 13x13L that is in good shape. No sign of any damage from props and all other parts are stamped "Malibu". Now I need to start searching old posts to see what would be a good 2nd prop so I have a spare. I have heard a few people say that a 4 blade is the way to go but I need to learn why. Also, who is the top manufacturer for props?

OJ & Acme are the best. Get a 3 blade CNC'd prop. More blade surface than a tradition (cast) 4 blade and they run smoother. You're going to run a 13" diameter it's the pitch (the second # of the sizing) and will vary depending on what you want to do with your boat.

I put a 13 X 12 OJ XMP Edge CNC'd 3-blade on my Sporty and it's fantastic for slalom and footin' (took off a 13 X 14 cast 4 blade). Gave up a couple MPH on the top end but I don't need to go 52 mph. No.gif:lol:

What do you use your boat for? Slalom? Wakeboarding? Weighted? How much? ...etc.

OJ & Acme are the best. Get a 3 blade CNC'd prop. More blade surface than a tradition (cast) 4 blade and they run smoother. You're going to run a 13" .diameter it's the pitch (the second # of the sizing) and will vary depending on what you want to do with your boat

I put a 13 X 12 OJ XMP Edge CNC'd 3-blade on my Sporty and it's fantastic for slalom and footin' (took off a 13 X 14 cast 4 blade). Gave up a couple MPH on the top end but I don't need to go 52 mph. No.gif:lol:

What do you use your boat for? Slalom? Wakeboarding? Weighted? How much? ...etc.

I have a couple of daughters that are into show skiing. Mostly slalom and wakeboards but the 14 year old is starting to barefoot and jump. As far as weighted I am not sure if you are refering to? Sorry, rookie here. :blush:

I have a couple of daughters that are into show skiing. Mostly slalom and wakeboards but the 14 year old is starting to barefoot and jump. As far as weighted I am not sure if you are refering to? Sorry, rookie here.

I was just asking if you add weight to your boat to get a bigger wakeboard wake. For all-around use I would go with the 13 X 12 OJ XMP Edge. I got mine from Skier-To-Skier with a puller, wrench, carrying case,...etc (called The Week-End Saver) for $400 delivered to my door. Thumbup.gif

EDIT: To fix link to skier-to-skier

Edited by NorCaliBu

I was just asking if you add weight to your boat to get a bigger wakeboard wake. For all-around use I would go with the 13 X 12 OJ XMP Edge. I got mine from Skier-To-Skier with a puller, wrench, carrying case,...etc (called The Week-End Saver) for $400 delivered to my door. Thumbup.gif

Thanks, I'll take a look into it. I tried the skier-to-skier.com link and didn't find it. I'll try a few different ways. Thumbup.gif

Thanks, I'll take a look into it. I tried the skier-to-skier.com link and didn't find it. I'll try a few different ways.

I fixed the link.

Skier-To-Skier Website

Thanks, I found it and requested a price list. Clap.gif

I have not yet joined as a paid member but plan too. Is this one of the member buy discount or group buy businesses? Whistling.gif

This can also happen to a CNC prop. Here is a picture of an OJ CNC prop that was on a MC X-Star, and apparently was the second one they had had this happen to.

IMG_1356.jpg

WOW!. How is that even possible? I mean, I understand there is a lot of torque on props, but dang, that is crazy! Crazy.gif

I would think there had to be some prior damage, i.e hitting something that caused initial stress but not enough noticeable damage and then over time the prop finally blew up.

Ours went in '02 at about 450 hours. It happened just as I hit it to pull my wife up on the stick. Check that your HDS isn't leaking the next time out. The vibration busted ours open and it was a "sinking" feeling when I felt water at my feet as I pulled around to pick up my wife after a ski run.

DSC01814.JPG

I've seen plenty of these, CVP props were a cast stainless steel that formed stress fractures in the hub of the prop and if you had a unbalanced or damaged prop it just rattled the prop apart to the extent of breaking a blade off. Every time I see a CVP prop I let people know they need to make a switch something else.

-Paul

I have NEVER seen this happen with a Acme propeller, one more reason why i am not a OJ fan... I bet i've sent back 20 bad props right out of the box over the 10 years i've been doing parts/service from vibration / balance issues. I don't even stock / offer OJ anymore because they can't get quality control or their process together right.

Let's see...my boat came with an OJ (no problems with it). I switched to a different OJ (no problems with it). A number of people in my waterski club switched to OJ's after being pulled behind mine (no problems with any of them)...

Your post bad-mouthing OJ props sounds like a self-serving post by a distributor of Acme props. Am I correct in my assumption that you sell Acme props? Either way, I don't think it's right for a retailer to be on here bad-mouthing products they don't carry. JMHO.

One last thought, just because you haven't seen it happen with an Acme doesn't mean it never has, and the exact set of circumstances that lead to the prop failure pictured aren't known so to state that they are inferior in quality based on one picture is kind of ridiculous.

Well, I can tell you that Eric Johnson from OJ does peruse the board, I'll be he'll find that his products are inferior to Acme perplexing. Both Eric and Bill (Acme) make killer products and stand behind them and are a pleasure to talk to. They both can provide a wealth of knowledge and insight that you just can’t get anywhere else. Over the years I've had all three manufactures from CVP, Acme and now OJ. There isn't anyone that will dispute the problems w/ CVP, though after 7 years I didn't experience any of the failure issues.

Now I’ve got an OJ and have performed flawlessly, I’m not doubting that Bakes may have experienced issues with OJ props but most everyone I know uses OJ now, mainly because the specs fit our needs and the quality they provide in their props.

In closing anyone whom chooses either of these props over another due to perceived quality is really short sighting themselves. Again both companies have gone to great lengths to assist all to fine the correct prop. Eric for example spent countless hours tweaking props for members specific needs/desire and believe me the crew member wouldn’t have continued to use OJ products as he is VERY particular and anal about his products.

I have NEVER seen this happen with a Acme propeller, one more reason why i am not a OJ fan... I bet i've sent back 20 bad props right out of the box over the 10 years i've been doing parts/service from vibration / balance issues. I don't even stock / offer OJ anymore because they can't get quality control or their process together right.

Let's see...my boat came with an OJ (no problems with it). I switched to a different OJ (no problems with it). A number of people in my waterski club switched to OJ's after being pulled behind mine (no problems with any of them)...

Your post bad-mouthing OJ props sounds like a self-serving post by a distributor of Acme props. Am I correct in my assumption that you sell Acme props? Either way, I don't think it's right for a retailer to be on here bad-mouthing products they don't carry. JMHO.

One last thought, just because you haven't seen it happen with an Acme doesn't mean it never has, and the exact set of circumstances that lead to the prop failure pictured aren't known so to state that they are inferior in quality based on one picture is kind of ridiculous.

That's awesome that you've had good luck with OJ. When i first started working on boats OJ was the best thing out there, especially for the tournament ski boats.

Bake's is actually a dealer for both prop companies but has decided only to sell one. My intention was not to bad mouth OJ so I changed my post, sorry if I offended you. That is not my style.

I guess the fact of the matter is that I have personally had bad luck with OJ on multiple occasions. I will leave it at that.

-Paul

Sure glad I looked at this post. Just took my ACME off to repair as I hit a log and put the original stainless back on. My ACME is great. I put it on my 01 Sunsetter back in 03 and could not believe the improvement in performance. I'll continue with the the old prop as an emergency spare.

Does anyone have insight as to why Malibu uses Acme Props?

I would think that since OJ is right across the street from the TN factory they would have or could have a great working relationship...