Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Very Annoying Trip to the Gas Station - Bad Design

thethrillofspeed

Probably 5.5-6 gph. Just lift the center panel in the floor, you can easily see the tank both there & at the back where the vdrive unit is. I hardly ever use the gauge in the dash, I just look at the tank if I feel like we're getting close.

I use the floating level/on plane method. When my gauge first gets to E while floating level, I then track indication while on plane. When it don't move much, I better have some gas nearby.

Just be advised that with the new Teleflex universal sending unit the fuel gauge will be accurate but, will bounce around a lot unless the boat has been still for awhile. There is no dampening unit in the instrument cluster like there is in a car. Also, don't crank down on the screws that hold the flange into the tank, it may leak fuel.

Ha, I thought it was just me! I fought this problem when I installed mine. Always nice having a bilge full of fuel........

I keep track of the hours at every fill up - The burn rate is actually quite predictable.

That's just the engineer in you...

I had the fuel out the vent happen to me Friday night. I had no idea there were innacuracies in the gauge. Knowing I have a 52g tank, and when I pulled the boat off the water last time, it was about 1/8th tank left, I kind of figured I had 6 or 7 gallons of gas in the boat. By my math, I had a solid $200 gas bill coming to me. Well, at about $110, it clicked off. (No spillage). However, figuring something must be wrong with the pump, I pulled back the trigger again, and went to filling full bore. At $120 I get a nice burst of gas push out the vent, and the filler tube, drenching the cover, and soaking the rub rail all the way back to the end of the boat... Mad.gif

So now I know... Thanks for this post. I'll be carefull when filling now, and know my gauge is innacurate as hell.

My cutting edge gas fill method is to stick my ear right against the gas nozzle and listen for the gas filling up. You can hear the change in sound when the tank gets close to full.

My cutting edge gas fill method is to stick my ear right against the gas nozzle and listen for the gas filling up. You can hear the change in sound when the tank gets close to full.

I hope you make sure to keep your eyes and mouth open...

small change of subject here, and does this sound like a terrible idea?????

one of the 2 flaws of my 247rx is the seating is heavy towards passenger side and i also only have a 37 gallon tank ....(by the way, my gas gauge will read empty after i fill up, my dealer says he'll check it but not much he can do, so ill wait till im out of warranty and get a new sender......

my idea is to replace my rear driver side ballast tank with a small gas tank and always keep it full (or at a leveling weight) then i could also use it as a reserve and use one of those manual pumps or maybe get fancy and tie it into my main tank?????

any major issues with this idea other than gas sitting for extended periods???? also, then my actual ballast tank would probably be a sac???any other ideas