Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater went cold

That was my problem, too many weeds prior to the tranny cooler, cleaned them out and it works. Still planning on relocating the Y fitting, but too busy trying to ski as our season is too short. Also waiting for the D-Goose group buy to add a second heater for the passengers...

No, a strainer would be first after the raw water fitting.

I think I used a 1" pvc fitting for the gap.

I have a direct drive Monsoon, where is the tranny coolant strainer located?? I can't seem to find it. Pictures?

I have a direct drive Monsoon, where is the tranny coolant strainer located?? I can't seem to find it. Pictures?

I think you are confusing some things here. The strainer that Jack (VinRLX) was referring to would be an aftermarket add-on for filtering out weeds before they get to the raw water pump. Most boats don't have one of these, and you can end up with weeds getting caught at the trans oil cooler. The cooler looks like a black can mounted to the front of the engine near the top on the port side. The can will have a large diameter hose on each end secured by hose clamps, and two smaller diameter hoses attached with brass fittings to the side of the can.

If you pull off the large diameter hose on the bottom end of the can and look up into the can, you may find weeds and other debris trapped there.

If you pull off the large diameter hose on the bottom end of the can and look up into the can, you may find weeds and other debris trapped there.

And look down into the hose to be sure they didn't drop back in there while not under pressure.

Nice description, Jerry. I don't care what the wife says about you, you are good for something. :lol:

I think you are confusing some things here. The strainer that Jack (VinRLX) was referring to would be an aftermarket add-on for filtering out weeds before they get to the raw water pump. Most boats don't have one of these, and you can end up with weeds getting caught at the trans oil cooler. The cooler looks like a black can mounted to the front of the engine near the top on the port side. The can will have a large diameter hose on each end secured by hose clamps, and two smaller diameter hoses attached with brass fittings to the side of the can.

Many thanks, I haven't looked at it in 4 years of use....bound to be something in there. The boat runs great, the heater is the only issue.

I may try the Y split relocation also.

• 3 months later...

Jack, so this is a winter project for me, so off to the local home depot to get a 1" pvc to fill the gap but they said it wouldn't be good with the high temperature....so do you recall getting a specific fitting to handle the heat? thanks

What high temperature? It's raw water--how hot does your lake get? :lol:

You're talking about relocating your existing Y, correct? So you already have that piece and all you need is the shunt? Take the Y out and measure the ID of the hose, keeping in mind that you have some leeway for the hose to spread. Larger is better for easier flow and volume. Or you can just pick up a 1" and a 1.25" piece at HD and you're sure to have the one you need. Put the shunt where the Y was and move the Y.

Enjoy the difference come Spring. There will be one!

i get nervous with plastic below the waterline.

i would suggest looking for brass/bronze.

mcmastercarr.com wants $8 + shipping for a 1" brass barbed (both ends).

cheap at twice the price (below the water line).

i get nervous with plastic below the waterline.

i would suggest looking for brass/bronze.

mcmastercarr.com wants $8 + shipping for a 1" brass barbed (both ends).

cheap at twice the price (below the water line).

Point taken and certainly valid. Mine is, I believe, above the water line. Also, it is double-clamped and the hose on either end comes together over the fitting. So far, so good.

• 4 months later...
Heater was working fine until today and now it only blows cold air... any ideas?

It was dark when I got home but I did take the hose off the block and blew the water out through the other hose that I disconnected from the y pipe and it didn't seem clogged. the fans blow, just cold air and I know you must be moving to make heat as it worked fine yesterday.

thanks

Hey all. Okay its my understanding several Response owners are having heater trouble. I have 08 RLXI and the heater has ALWAYS blown cold air since the first time i backed it off the trailer! I have had two Malibu dealers attempt to fix it. They were VERY confident they knew what the trouble was, they almost were way too passive regarding the trouble. Neither dealer fixed the condition. The air was COLD, not lukewarm....COLD.

I just got my boat back from 77 Marine in Dayton, Ohio. This is a Centurion dealer. Guess What?? Yep...I have hot air with the heater!!!! The owner and service manager explained the design flaw, fixed it and y'day I skied with hot air coming from my heater for the first time!!!! My wife will be excited.

I did contact Malibu the company SEVERAL times regarding this issue. I finally demanded a refund for the money i spent for the heater option. They somewhat showed concern, but not really too concerned about an unsatisfied customer.

Call Josh or Bobbie at 77 Marine in Dayton Ohio. Number is 937 610 1081. They can talk you thru it or if you are close enough let them do it.

OBTW.....when I picked up my boat, they were finishing detailing the boat AND trailer!!! The boat was spotless, inside and out. They even DRESSED the tires on the trailer. Are you kidding Me!!! These guys are the real deal!

Give them a call. Good luck with the heater.