Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu boat back from the dead

rugger

Great job....esp. with the seats. I just redid a few on mine, so I know what kind of P.I.T.A that can be.

Where did you get the 'malibu' lettering for the side of your boat? I've been looking for something like that for mine. Also, where did you get the 'sunsetter' logo?

Again, awesome job!

thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rugger

• Arctic Slalom

• srh99vlx

• coldduck22

What material did you use for the floor, I didn't look through all of the floor pics. I intend on buying an older boat one day to re-do.

The flooring is Malibu's "space age material", which is just a fancy marketing term for composite material. Probably the same thing in your boat. I think it's also the same as mantex material, which is available on the internet if you look hard. Composite material is very expensive though. I paid someone from the Malibu factory to install both the floor and carpet for a good price (referred by Chee). Originally I was going to do the floor myself with glass over marine wood, but for the price it ended up being a no brainer to have the real stuff installed. Hope that helps.

Great job....esp. with the seats. I just redid a few on mine, so I know what kind of P.I.T.A that can be.

Where did you get the 'malibu' lettering for the side of your boat? I've been looking for something like that for mine. Also, where did you get the 'sunsetter' logo?

Again, awesome job!

thanks

Both decals just came from the dealer. The black is called Chrome dipped. It was the only newer Malibu logo that I think would work with my old boat and narrow gelcoat stripe. Without repainting (couldn't afford to do), I thought it'd look goofy with one of the fancier decals. The Sunsetter decal was hanging on the wall collecting dust since it is now obsolete; I paid like eight bucks or something. If you want 'em, just call Malibu customer service and get a part number for your dealer.

I think that is a boat for next year's calendar...

Very Impressive... :)

Agree, take some sweet pics of her out on the water some time.

You did a super great job. Thumbup.gif

WOW! That looks spectacular.

My buddy and I did the interior in a late 70's jet boat in '89. It was a mess. We built new seats, replaced some floor, paid for upholstery, installed a rebuilt big block Chevy, and we polished for what seemed like days. Similar results.

Nice work!

Patrick

That's neato. Biggrin.gif

If only Tony were here to enjoy that comment.

Nice work on the boat - that's something to be proud of.

Fantastic job ! I’d hang on to her for a long time, that boat looks awesome !

Thanks for sharing the pics

Some on the water photos would be great if you felt like posting them.

What a phenomenal classic to be proud of, BLINK BLINK! Kewlpics.gif

Thanks again. I must be getting sympathy points. :)

I hope the pics of it torn apart are helpful to some. I know I found some pictures of someone doing a re-floor on an old skier that was helpful to me.

my jaw is still on the floor from looking at this yesterday!

patience, craftsmanship and pride....not many people have that anymore!

the details look really nice!

Thats Awesome! Exactly what I hope i can do to my 89 skier. Your pictures are going to be very helpul during the process. When I actually get started on the project i may need some specific measurments on the observer and rear seat if you wouldn't mind.

I'd also like to upgrade the side graphic as well. From what i can tell the long vertical stripes are under the gelcoat? correct me if i'm wrong. How did you remove the "malibu skier" logo. is it not under the gelcoat too?

Thats Awesome! Exactly what I hope i can do to my 89 skier. Your pictures are going to be very helpul during the process. When I actually get started on the project i may need some specific measurments on the observer and rear seat if you wouldn't mind.

I'd also like to upgrade the side graphic as well. From what i can tell the long vertical stripes are under the gelcoat? correct me if i'm wrong. How did you remove the "malibu skier" logo. is it not under the gelcoat too?

on my 89 sunsetter, the white 'Malibu Sunsetter' vinyl text is on the outside of the gelcoat. i'm not sure of the best way to remove the stickers w/o buggering up the gelcoat Dontknow.gif .

rugger,

a couple more questions...

how are all the new seat bases attached to the new flooring? mechanical connection or adhesive/glue?

does the drivers seat swivel?

how did the motor mounts attached to the new stringers? lag bolts or were they through-bolted? was alignment to prop shaft a hassle?

did you have a new rack and pinion steering system? Can this be done to my boat? Dontknow.gif

does the boat 'feel' more rigid through double-ups and waves? I know our old wood floor Malibu doesn't feel as solid as the newer boats (duh). can you feel a big difference with the new stringers and floor: I imagine you can!?

How did you reinforce the transom to potentially handle a wedge load?

are you for hire????....can i bring my SS down to you this fall....have it back by April? Yahoo.gif

thanks!

Edited by Arctic Slalom

Yes, all the new seat bases were screwed to the composite floor. Silicone should be used for every screw hole (hinges, bases, etc.). Of course, silicone is an absolute for wood floors.

Driver's seat does not swivel, it's a new Response seat with no upgrades. Thought about how to make it swivel but it's not high on the priority list for me. Motor mounts are attached with stainless lags, waterproofed with epoxy. If your stringers are not shot, but you want to beef up mounts, you can always reinforce with a steel or aluminum bracket. I've seen homemade angle-iron type brackets that run between the mounts which gives you more point of contact and bolts. Didn't do that to mine because it didn't need it.

I don't know about adding rack-and-pinion steering. My steering is bone stock but works just fine. I just took apart the helm, cleaned it and doped it with new grease. Turns with one finger. If it ain't broke -- I personally would leave the steering be. Not sure what you'd gain with our old hulls.

I paid for good help with recreating the stringers, and subsequently with realigning the motor to the new ones. If you pull the motor, count the threads on each mount and take good measurements first. Then you'll just fine tune with a feeler (sp?) gauge. Yes, the boat at least seems stiffer, tighter and quieter. Replacing all the little seals ($5 bucks at NAPA auto parts) such as for window frames and such also makes a difference. All-in-all, it's at least as quiet as it was brand new. But you're right, our boats will never match the newer luxury ones. We made the transom stronger by doubling its thickness and fiberglassing appropriately for structural strength. Not sure if a wedge would ever be effective on this boat anyway.

Ha ha!!! I'm not for hire but I'll certainly help with questions!! It would certainly be easy to find someone better!! I did the grunt work, but paid for a lot of help too.

Edited by rugger

what type of epoxy resin did you use and about how much did it take? What would be a cheaper alternative to the composite flooring, pressure treated or marine plywood with a good coat of just epoxy resin? whats the difference between pressure treated and marine plywood anyway? Dontknow.gif I think im gonna start ripping out the floor in mine this week, weather permitting. excited about getting started but kinda leery about what i'll find lurking under the rotted plywood. hopefully the stringers are still in decent shape. Cry.gif

what type of epoxy resin did you use and about how much did it take? What would be a cheaper alternative to the composite flooring, pressure treated or marine plywood with a good coat of just epoxy resin? whats the difference between pressure treated and marine plywood anyway? Dontknow.gif I think im gonna start ripping out the floor in mine this week, weather permitting. excited about getting started but kinda leery about what i'll find lurking under the rotted plywood. hopefully the stringers are still in decent shape. Cry.gif

Coldduck22 -- I wanted composite flooring because of the large scope of my project. But to best answer your question, and this is only my opinion, I'd first ask yourself what you want out of your boat. A composite floor will make it last a lifetime, a wood floor will be cheaper and can buy you another 20 years -- which is still a long time!

If you're not aiming for a total rebuild then you could easily cut out the soft spots in the wood in squares until you hit the good stuff (get rid of all rot, or it will spread). Just use a skill saw, 1/2" or more down and leave the flotation foam be if possible. If you end up replacing the whole floor, THEN look at alternatives such as composite or marine wood with fiberglass on top and even bottom. The amount of resin totally depends on how big of an area you are doing. West System epoxy resin is one of the best on the market, but expensive. Epoxy resins are stronger than polyester resins (what most boat manufacturers use). But again for a patch job, if you cover everything thoroughly, you can't go wrong regardless of what you use. Your going to buy yourself many more years of fun on the water.

I hope that helps.

WOW... WOW.... WOW... That is sooo NICE!!!

So all done and said with this project... Did you have a budget to work with? How do the kids like it now? Still happy?

Congrats, looks awesome!

Kudo's to you Rugger. Your dad must have "an awesome set of tools" (Jeff Spicoli)

Most impressive, yet humbling....

I was pleased with myself for changing the fuel filters.

Seriously an amazing labour of love, Enjoy!

rugger or others,

do you have contact information for chee or daniel at malibu boats?

I'm interested in getting some information for the back seat area (vinyl, cushions, install, etc.).

please pm me whenever you get a chance.

thanks!