Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu boat back from the dead

rugger

do you have contact information for chee or daniel at malibu boats?

According to a post in a thread a while back...Chee can be contacted at 209-564-6202.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rugger

• Arctic Slalom

• srh99vlx

• coldduck22

norcal and rugger,

thanks for the contact info for Chee.

Looks like it may be a fall/winter project.

i'm kinda torn between putting my '89 up for sale this august (after 10 day cabin trip) and looking for a late 90's SSLX or SSLXi this winter...or putting some cash into my boat (vinyl, cushions, tower, etc.)

Where did you get your new carpet at? What oz. , brand etc. is it? I've looked around on the net and have found a few carpets that i like but they come in only 16 or 20 oz. Do you think that 20 oz would be sufficient for the project? I heard that the heavier duty carpet, 30-40 oz is hard to bend and form to corners.

Wow, that's some good work there. I'm very impressed. I don't even want to know if I have any rot problems but I guess I better look one day. Does anyone know if and when Malibu stopped using wood stringers?

Oh and your boat (before the rebuild) looks familiar. :)

Here's mine.

317635389_mAKaW-L.jpg

Edited by Johnny_Ringo
  • 2 weeks later...

KILLER Job! That looks sweet, seeing that wood makes me glad the echelon has fiberglass below. However our 95 Echelon looks nowhere near as nice as yours does now!

One question, I am thinking of rebuilding my dash this winter, where did you get your gauges. Were you considering others and why did you choose the set you did? Price is a perfectly good reason, and probably my biggest motivator. I really like your dash. Last question, what did you use to cut the circles?

Edited by 95echelon
KILLER Job! That looks sweet, seeing that wood makes me glad the echelon has fiberglass below. However our 95 Echelon looks nowhere near as nice as yours does now!

One question, I am thinking of rebuilding my dash this winter, where did you get your gauges. Were you considering others and why did you choose the set you did? Price is a perfectly good reason, and probably my biggest motivator. I really like your dash. Last question, what did you use to cut the circles?

Thanks. Yeah... there was no way wood was going back in mine either. Yuk. Hopefully those rotted pics will motivate other old 'bu owners to take care of the floor before it has a problem.

Gauges are Faria stainless Chesapeake (or something like that). They are nice all around gauges, clean looking and one of the least expensive. I bought the 6 pack kit, plus a second speedo and depth finder. I think at the time boatersland had it the cheapest online.

The circles you can cut with just a hole saw bit from home depot. If you are using (or making) a removable dash panel, it's best to use a drill press if you have one. But you can use a hand drill if you must. Just put thick wood beneath it while you drill to keep the auger bit going straight. I added a few new holes that didn't exist in the orginal layout so I also had to drill into the main dash (fiberglass) with a hand drill and it worked fine. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Boat looks great and I know what you mean about grinding glass. I did a complete restore on a 79 Ski Supreme back in college and spent hours grinding and endless nights trying to sleep on what felt like pins and needles. My seats didn't turn out as nice.

• 1 month later...

WHOOAAAA!

This is a superb restoration diary!

I am going to have the upholstery done in my '92 Skier this winter, and so stumbling across this post was VERY opportune! Not only for the pics of the new designs, but also for the contacts at Malibu. Being a '93, by Skier has all plastic seat bases, so I only have to buy the actual re-upholstery work.

Are you willing to divulge what you think I should be expecting to pay for this work (I think one of your earlier posts indicated that you actually had gotten some estimates from upholstery shops!). My Skier has almost the exact same seating configuration as this boat.

'Tanks.

JB

AWESOME JOB!!!

I did the same to my 93 Sunsetter this past winter, it still needs some of the "detail work" done but, you ahve done a wonderful job!

I recognized a lot of the wood frame parts as I rebuilt most of them on my boat as well.

Grace,

Ken Grutza

• 4 months later...