Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

It's time for the '09's

Malibudude

am i the only one who thinks the RFXi compares in many ways to a tige 20i?

deep freeboard (rougher water)

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar length/width ~20'

similar weight ~ 3,300

tournament approved -RFXi will be, correct?

similar power (320 hp)?

looks like malibu is spearheading the smaller slalom/crossover boat market?

will the RFXi msrp be about 48K or so?

Most people wouldn't argue that Malibu has been the best option for a good crossover boat since the inception of the SV23 hull in 1993. I've seen a lot of die hard loyalists from other brands even admit to that. That Malibu has continued this in the form of the VTX/Sunscape 20' cut diamond hull boats & now a direct drive version isn't surprising at all.

Stay with me on this one....MSRP on an '08 RLXi without trailer is +/- $44k. It sounds like the price increase from '08-'09 won't be as large as we've seen in the past, so maybe figure $45-46k on the RLXi. If you extrapolate from differences in price between the VTX & VLX ($55k & $58 respectively), then my guess on the RFXi would be that it will be in the $42k range without a trailer.

Interesting, any word you can add dealers? I was going to guess it would be more than rlxi given novelty and probable weight increase over the rlxi.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• JohnDoe

• Matt_Alger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People need shelter and transportation. They don't need boats. Although I do see the BIG boats (247 I'm looking at you) sales going down.

Plus1.gif I would further argue that if people are buying smaller cars and houses, they won't be buying a boat at all, whether it be big or small. The industry is in for some short term rough times me thinks.

Yes shelter and transportation is on most peoples mind at this point, but here is my thinking. If I am working 40 + hours a week to afford my house and my veichle and pay my taxes and then steering at the walls when I am not working because I don't have anything fun to do, like boating, then why bother going to work. I work to play, no play then no work, I will collect welfare and live on the streets, seems to work for a lot of people.

Can't disagree with the work to play comment, at least for some. But I suspect that most will find something less expensive to play at if it comes to that. I personally wouldn't set the example for my boys of going on welfare given the choice.

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar weight ~ 3,300

similar power (320 hp)?

Most people wouldn't argue that Malibu has been the best option for a good crossover boat since the inception of the SV23 hull in 1993. I've seen a lot of die hard loyalists from other brands even admit to that. That Malibu has continued this in the form of the VTX/Sunscape 20' cut diamond hull boats & now a direct drive version isn't surprising at all.

Stay with me on this one....MSRP on an '08 RLXi without trailer is +/- $44k. It sounds like the price increase from '08-'09 won't be as large as we've seen in the past, so maybe figure $45-46k on the RLXi. If you extrapolate from differences in price between the VTX & VLX ($55k & $58 respectively), then my guess on the RFXi would be that it will be in the $42k range without a trailer.

Interesting, any word you can add dealers? I was going to guess it would be more than rlxi given novelty and probable weight increase over the rlxi.

I was just speculating, I could of course be wrong on all of it.

People need shelter and transportation. They don't need boats. Although I do see the BIG boats (247 I'm looking at you) sales going down.

Plus1.gif I would further argue that if people are buying smaller cars and houses, they won't be buying a boat at all, whether it be big or small. The industry is in for some short term rough times me thinks.

Yes shelter and transportation is on most peoples mind at this point, but here is my thinking. If I am working 40 + hours a week to afford my house and my veichle and pay my taxes and then steering at the walls when I am not working because I don't have anything fun to do, like boating, then why bother going to work. I work to play, no play then no work, I will collect welfare and live on the streets, seems to work for a lot of people.

Can't disagree with the work to play comment, at least for some. But I suspect that most will find something less expensive to play at if it comes to that. I personally wouldn't set the example for my boys of going on welfare given the choice.

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar weight ~ 3,300

similar power (320 hp)?

Neither would I, just thinking out loud, which usually gets me in trouble. Boating will take a hit as will everything else.

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar weight ~ 3,300

similar power (320 hp)?

On second thought, I think you're right. Every boat that the rfxi is similar to are more "price-point" dd's like centurion falcon and Tige 20i. Maybe we should start a poll and make a suggestion to Malibu?

wakeboard tower options

ballast options

similar weight ~ 3,300

similar power (320 hp)?

I would take a more known quantity - 2008 Sunscape 20 LSV at $49,206, add some cost inflation (although, I would suggest despite the "cost" factor, Malibu prices on what the market will bear) and deduct for direct drive over V-Drive and I think you end up at an MSRP for the boat at $47-$48K. No options, no trailer, spec'd out like an LSV in terms of appointments. (incl prec pro, 320 LCR,etc)

I was merely going on the price difference between a VTX & VLX, as well as the price of the RLXI. I believe that the idea of the RFXi being a little sister to the RLXi much like the VTX is to the VLX is going to be the best comparison. I can't see them pricing this boat higher than the RLXi, because even if Malibu only built this boat to fill gaps in its own lineup, it still has to pay attention to where it will fall in relation to the competition. And while being 1 of the Big 3 may command a higher price, it can't be too far out of reach. But as I said, I could be completely wrong. It's been known to happen.

I agree you would think the big boats would the first to start slipping, but I talked with my dealer the other day and she said that the big boats are the only ones she is selling the entry level market seems to be the hardest hit atleast here. They have sold more $70k boats than ever. They just sold their first price point boat two weeks ago a moomba outback and has v-ride and I-ride they never dewinterized. I guess us poor working class guys are the ones not buying boats this year.

I agree you would think the big boats would the first to start slipping, but I talked with my dealer the other day and she said that the big boats are the only ones she is selling the entry level market seems to be the hardest hit atleast here. They have sold more $70k boats than ever. They just sold their first price point boat two weeks ago a moomba outback and has v-ride and I-ride they never dewinterized. I guess us poor working class guys are the ones not buying boats this year.

I don't think people who can afford a $70k boat are being to effected by the current economy. It's the guy who can barely squeeze into the $35k to $40k boat that is hurt.

I was hoping for a 15% price increase since I just bought an 08!

Don't you mean stole? ;-)

Who? What? Me? Good deal? Biggrin.gif If I ever have to sell it Cry.gif then I paid list +10%... Yea, list +10%. Whistling.gif

Just what kind of deal did you score? I'm working a deal on a new VLX now and need to save as many pennies as possible! If I can't then I should wait for a '09...

• 2 weeks later...
Here are some exterior shots of the '09 VLX....

gallery_6_44_60954.jpggallery_6_44_53237.jpg

gallery_6_44_60507.jpg

Looks like speaker mounts on the tower are higher then on illusion x. Boat looks sweet. Can't wait to see full interior pixs.. Wonder how the new hull surfs.
Here are some exterior shots of the '09 VLX....

gallery_6_44_60954.jpggallery_6_44_53237.jpg

gallery_6_44_60507.jpg

Looks like speaker mounts on the tower are higher then on illusion x. Boat looks sweet. Can't wait to see full interior pixs.. Wonder how the new hull surfs.

Does the bow have a sharper rise than the old VLX or is it just an optical illusion.
I agree if your 32' off you'll probably not have a tower on the boat, but even at my level I'd hit the tower feet on the initial pull out. I know Malibu requires the RLXI to have a tower on it for the promos, which really perplexes me.

I don't know of any such requirement for promo's and in fact most of the promo Bu's I drive and ride behind in the last several years don't have towers. I think it has more to do with the promo owner and resale in their area than anything to do with Bu as a company.

Not true for national promo boats might be that way for dealer demo/promo. I have been on the national promo team since 03 and I have the option to get a tower or not. I got one last year but it was a different tower that doesn't get in the way of shortline. This year I optioned out of the tower as none of the tournament people wanted a boat with a tower.

This is a pic of my 07

post-289-1216251058_thumb.jpg

hmmm really the only things i like are the new mali-vue and the transom seat/step..

other than that i don't really like it, seems kinda bulky to me. After a year the windshield and XS haven't grown on me and I'm not sure they ever will.

I love our 08 Biggrin.gif

Is that a KITT nose light on the transom? Sure is a lot of boat above the rub rail. Should be able to slam that one for surfing. I can see why they added the step. That's a huge step from the platform to the sunpad without the assistance of a step.

And where are they shooting the photos this year? Seems like a different location. And what's with the old Nautique in the background of the third picture? :)

Edited by UWSkier
And where are they shooting the photos this year? Seems like a different location. :)

Looks like Donner lake off I-80 ?? just west of Lake Tahoe for you out of towner's.

Edited by bigD

SURFIN247: i think it looks that way cause of the hand rail is gone. that was something i didnt want when getting a bu. glad to see the grab rail is down in the boat now. much cleaner!!!

Edited by key

Looks like the intake screens are gone from the nose. Is this an indication of things to come in the rest of the lineup? I hope so, never been much of a fan of that look.

Also, just as I was beginning to come around on this style gel scheme (I've always found it a bit busy/odd), they've gone and pushed it one step further in the wrong direction (IMHO). I really don't like the gel pattern above the rub rail. Seems unnatural that the white above the rub rail doesn't meet the white below at the same point on the rub rail.

My '03 RLXi is looking better and better every day to me (and I didn't think that was possible :) ).

Looks like the intake screens are gone from the nose. Is this an indication of things to come in the rest of the lineup? I hope so, never been much of a fan of that look.

Also, just as I was beginning to come around on this style gel scheme (I've always found it a bit busy/odd), they've gone and pushed it one step further in the wrong direction (IMHO). I really don't like the gel pattern above the rub rail. Seems unnatural that the white above the rub rail doesn't meet the white below at the same point on the rub rail.

My '03 RLXi is looking better and better every day to me (and I didn't think that was possible :) ).

I hear ya brother! At the end of the day, these are boats and they are supposed to get wet. With all the electronics aboard some of these boats I'm suprised anyone ever gets out of them to enjoy the water.... I think they should add A/C so that I can be cooled down while I'm playing Xbox on my 21" lcd in the middle if the lake...lol

I hear ya brother! At the end of the day, these are boats and they are supposed to get wet. With all the electronics aboard some of these boats I'm suprised anyone ever gets out of them to enjoy the water.... I think they should add A/C so that I can be cooled down while I'm playing Xbox on my 21" lcd in the middle if the lake...lol

Looks like the intake screens are up under the windshield on this deck. I'm with you two personally. I like simple, classic lines and minimal graphics. The '02 and '03 Response is still my favorite Malibu of all time. Some of these wake boats are getting crazy.

I guess I'm the only one but I thought it looked really nice, I like all the technology, I like pushing the envelope. I wish they had internet on that screen that would make it worth it. Thumbup.gif

looks good....not quite as sweet as my 89 sunsetter, but nice.

ya, looks like those hulls are getting deeper and deeper all the time....bet they can handle some serious ballast and rougher water.

is that a light strip below the malibu text on the transom? it kinda looks like a long led strip?

the grey, black and white looks classy....it never really dates itself

i like the intermediate swim step...great for the young and old

Edited by Arctic Slalom