Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Mileage in your truck (towing)

hawaiianstyln

lincoln navigator w/ 5.3 triton -11 mpg

chevy S10 w/ 4.3 crew cab -12 mpg

f-350 dually w/ power stroke diesel (manual) -14 mpg, truck weighs 9,150 lbs. alone!

most of our lakes are within 10 miles of weekend house...very short hauls

make one, 800 mile round trip, per year. got about 11 mpg back and forth.

what are the best things to do for better truck mileage?

-better truck exhaust?

-computer chip?

-synthetic oil?

-cover on the boat?

-drive slower mph?

-change tires on boat?

-cold air intake?

For the diesel a free flowing exhaust, air intake, and programmer will do wonders for increased power and give you a little better mileage if you keep your foot out of it. However it is a ford and there isn't much hope for them Whistling.gif

what about the newer chevy 5.3 liter? i heard someone on this forum saying they were getting close to 20 mpg w/ a tahoe, on the highway?!

the pricing on used tahoes and suburbans are super low right now....was thinking about snatching one up and then sticking a couple grand into the intake/exhaust to squeeze max fuel economy.

any thoughts?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• hawaiianstyln

• Arctic Slalom

• WakeGirl

f-350 dually w/ power stroke diesel (manual) -14 mpg, truck weighs 9,150 lbs. alone!

-better truck exhaust?

-computer chip?

-synthetic oil?

-cover on the boat?

-drive slower mph?

-change tires on boat?

-cold air intake?

For the diesel a free flowing exhaust, air intake, and programmer will do wonders for increased power and give you a little better mileage if you keep your foot out of it. However it is a ford and there isn't much hope for them Whistling.gif

what about the newer chevy 5.3 liter? i heard someone on this forum saying they were getting close to 20 mpg w/ a tahoe, on the highway?!

the pricing on used tahoes and suburbans are super low right now....was thinking about snatching one up and then sticking a couple grand into the intake/exhaust to squeeze max fuel economy.

any thoughts?

Getting 20 on the freeway with a 5.3L tahoe or suburban shouldn't be an issue stock. But with an exhaust, CAI, and a custom tune from a vendor like pcm4less.com you could eek out about 3-4 mpg.

anyone towing with a 04 F350 ex cab short bed 6.0l diesel? I am taking it on my first road trip and am wondering what kind of mileage I can expect.

-better truck exhaust?

-computer chip?

-synthetic oil?

-cover on the boat?

-drive slower mph?

-change tires on boat?

-cold air intake?

any thoughts?

Getting 20 on the freeway with a 5.3L tahoe or suburban shouldn't be an issue stock. But with an exhaust, CAI, and a custom tune from a vendor like pcm4less.com you could eek out about 3-4 mpg.

so you can get 23-24 mpg in a 5.3 tahoe? wow, that's impressive. i suppose that's driving 60 mph, with limited wind, hills and a decent air temperature (actually, that's what it's like in most parts of MN and ND). that's still impressive. what would "exhaust, CAI, and a custom tune from a vendor like pcm4less.com" run? about $1000? i think you meant pcmforless.com?!

thanks,

CR

-better truck exhaust?

-computer chip?

-synthetic oil?

-cover on the boat?

-drive slower mph?

-change tires on boat?

-cold air intake?

any thoughts?

so you can get 23-24 mpg in a 5.3 tahoe? wow, that's impressive. i suppose that's driving 60 mph, with limited wind, hills and a decent air temperature (actually, that's what it's like in most parts of MN and ND). that's still impressive. what would "exhaust, CAI, and a custom tune from a vendor like pcm4less.com" run? about $1000? i think you meant pcmforless.com?!

thanks,

CR

If you did the work yourself, CAI about $250, Exhaust about $400, Tune $250, yes PCMFORLESS. Shipping of course can throw those numbers off. I have a family member with a 2003 suburban with the 5.3L and was driving a 200 mile trip 2 times per week rountrip for about 6 months. The average mileage was 19MGP city/hwy. The average speed traveled was about 65mph, and it was reletively flat terrain. This was also bone stock, actually with aftermarket 20" wheels and tires. If you call up pcmforless and talk to them they will tell you what to do to get the most mileage out of the 5.3. They can do a mileage tune for you based on any mods you will do to the motor.

Edited by 06vlx

We own a 2001 f150 4x4 with 20s. With no tow my truck gets 10 miles to the gallon average. I dont know what it is with boat in tow and I think it will probably melt the credit card when we pull the truck and a new bu up to the pumps to fill up.. Unless of course gas keeps coming down like it has over the last week and a half Yahoo.gif

2007 GMC Sierra, 5.3 liter, 2 x 4, quad cab, (with some type of $1500 upgraded exhaust which was a free add on) and only 15 mpg at my most conservative driving. A new Tahoe getting 20+ doesn't sound right... Whistling.gif

02 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4X4 pulling 08 23 LSV

So far this has been my experience at 65-70 mph

Without boat, about 15.0 on highway (hand calced)

Pulling boat, about 10.0 on highway (hand calced)

Taking it to Lake Ouachita in Arkansas this weekend. We shall see if the numbers hold up.

Updated numbers for the 425 mile each way trip:

Pulling at 65-75 with overdrive off I got between 8.0-9.0 mpg

I certainly noticed that there is a direct correlation between 65 mph and 9.0 mpg and 75 mph and 8.0 mpg

Just got done with a 350 mile each way trip to Table Rock. C 1500 w/ 5.3L. SLXi, 2 adults and 2 kids plus a few suitcases and all of the other crap we could load. Our turnpikes in OK have a 75 mph speed limit. The truck really pulls good at 75. Better than at 70. Going down hill was at 75+, while up hill was between 65-75 depending on the grade. (yes we have hills here in Oklahoma) Anyway, got right at 11.5 on the first tank going and 11.8 on the first tank coming back. The first tank going was with "contains up to 10% ethanol" 87 octane. Don't know on the way back as I saw no posting of any ethanol in Mo.

2007 GMC Sierra, 5.3 liter, 2 x 4, quad cab, (with some type of $1500 upgraded exhaust which was a free add on) and only 15 mpg at my most conservative driving. A new Tahoe getting 20+ doesn't sound right... Whistling.gif

I've got a 2007 Tahoe with 20's on it. If I keep the speed at about 65mph, then I can get 20+mpg stock. I know of a few guys with a tuner/pcm that are turning better than 23mpg

2002 Tahoe 5.3 pulling a SLXI on a tandem trailer to lake cabin. On the trip up, I took the front bow of my T-III tower off and set in the boat, and folded the back down. It pulled much better than with the tower up. To the lake with 10 mph headwind I got 10.4 MPG at a fairly steady 75 mph in D. Coming home I didn't want to spend the time to remove tower again, and with a 10 MPH headwind again, I had trouble holding 75, and I got about 8.5 MPG. I am now going to a build a stand so I can lower the tower for towing longer distances. My Tahoe really had a hard time holding 75 in D with the tower up, whereas with the tower down it was much easier.

Edited by Brodie

I've got a 2007 Tahoe with 20's on it. If I keep the speed at about 65mph, then I can get 20+mpg stock. I know of a few guys with a tuner/pcm that are turning better than 23mpg

wow...that's great for a 5,500 lbs. truck. makes me want to pick up an older tahoe and getting tuner/pcm and exhaust!

i'm borrowing a F-350 dually diesel with (from our farm) manual and it gets almost 18 mpg on the highway (going less than 70 mph). I took the truck to go get compost the other day and it weighed 9,200 lbs. UNLOADED!

i was thinking about it and that means a 3066 lb. car (1/3 weight of truck) should be getting 54 mpg (3X the truck)?! makes me think that big beast really isn't doing that bad! Whistling.gif

I have an 05 Avalanche with the 5.3 liter, AT & 4.10 rear. I get 15 - 17 mpg mixed city & highway all the time. 20+ mpg at 60 mph is pretty easy to come by. It drops off to about 17 - 18 mpg at 70 mph.

Last weekend we drug the boat out to Banks Lake for the weekend, which is a 60 mph, pretty flat run on SR2. We got over 13 mpg roundtrip pulling the boat over 180 miles.

I've got an 01 Chevy Crew w/8.1L. I got 9.6 mpg on our last trip to CA. I was driving very conservatively (60 mph average). This is the best I have ever done with this truck and boat combo.

Joe

• 1 year later...
I get 7-8mpg no matter what, boat or no boat. 71' Ford F250 with a 390, an Edelbrock 4bbl, Holly Dominator Intake, 4.10 rear end and an NP 4 speed. She's thirsty!

Classic truck, classic boat, but then a tower loaded with geekboards... Just doesn't look like it fits the theme. :)

Edited by UWSkier

04 Tahoe Z71- 12 mpg pulling the 'bu

03 Trailblazer- 12 mpg pulling the 'bu

We have a few big hills, but for the most part is flat.

Edited by mcc
martinarcher
I get 7-8mpg no matter what, boat or no boat. 71' Ford F250 with a 390, an Edelbrock 4bbl, Holly Dominator Intake, 4.10 rear end and an NP 4 speed. She's thirsty!

Classic truck, classic boat, but then a tower loaded with geekboards... Just doesn't look like it fits the theme. :)

I know - I ruined it! Oh well it was all done in the name of fun!

I get around 9 with a Ford 7.3L Diesel Could do a lot better but the 14" lift and 40's will hurt your fuel mileage! Have to much money into the motor to sell it plus it is just a weekend boat hauler. There's more to life then fuel mileage! Beer.gifBeer.gif

I average 16 MPG (with high mt. passes) towing my 08 23LSV loaded down. 18+MPG if i don't have to go over the passes. I tow with an 08 VW Touareg V10 TDI. Tows like a dream... never over 2K RPM on the steep hills... not sure it ever downshifts from 6th.

Cheer up. My 88 Landcruiser and my wifes 02 MB G500 both get about 14 mpg on the highway NOT towing. Cry.gif Fortunately the boat is at our lake house and we never have to tow it anywhere.

BTW I had a big block Chevy Dually a few years back and towed a 30 foot race car trailer - I was lucky to get 8 mpg. Nice truck but I sure was glad to see it go.

Steve

07 Sunscape 21

I hear ya... my MB G55k is lucky to 14mpg on highway NOT towing. My 4x4 7.3L diesel Excursion gets around 11.5 towing and 18ish not towing crusin on the highway.

I know - I ruined it! Oh well it was all done in the name of fun!

Take the Skier script off and make it a Malibu Boarder. :)