Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate trailer brakes...

for now i just use packaging tape and taped my lockout key in place.

I hope your not driving too much with the lockout key taped in. Not being able to brake the trailer could become a real big problem real fast.

nah, i'm lucky. i live on a lake so my boat sits on the lift in my backyard nearly all the time...and i have a 1 ton dually truck, don't really even need the brakes.

uh, big surprise Blast, you also have a brandnew truck.

you see "it has nothing to do with the age of the truck" if you have a brand new truck and you didn't have to go through the pain of rewiring it.

My point was, you said earlier that it could be a design flaw with the trailer. If it works for me and Edwin (and everyone else), it's your tow vehicle wiring harness. How would that be Boatmate's issue?

I'm also confused. If you have a Boatmate trailer with the UFP actuator and apply 12 volts to the lockout solenoid (via your reverse light signal), the brakes should release and stay that way.

If your brakes are not releasing when you are in reverse, you have a problem with your actuator or you're not getting 12 volts to the actuator. In either case, I don't see how this is a flaw in Boatmate's trailer design.

My Sequoia came with the flat 4 plug, not the 7-pin outlet that they use now. I bought a flat 5 plug and simply spliced into the 4 wire plug, then spliced into a reverse light wire from the left side tail light assembly. You may want to try that to make sure your getting the reverse light signal to the trailer.

Or you could just use a 4-5 pin adapter and just have to splice one wire into your backup light signal...

A trailer test plug ($4 at Walmart) & a 12v test light ($6 at Walmart) will also let you know if your truck has wiring problems in less than a minute.

Thanks for the tips guys. I need to get it all straightened out. its frustrating b/c it works sometimes, but never seems to work when i really need it to at the launch ramp.

i'll swing by Walmart and get those testers, and see if i can get it resolved. Thanks for the help. I get pretty iritated anytime i have to trailer the boat anyways since its such a hassle. I think i'm ruined as far as that goes, i will never be able to not live right on the water the rest of my life. i love walking out the door and down to the dock.

I'm having similar problem. My Astro Van has a 6-way round socket and I've wired the 5 Flat harness that came with the Boatmate Trailer to a 6 way round plug. Everything works except the release of the brakes in reverse. Any ideas on which terminal on the 6-way round plug the blue wire should be connected to?

Brian

I'm having similar problem. My Astro Van has a 6-way round socket and I've wired the 5 Flat harness that came with the Boatmate Trailer to a 6 way round plug. Everything works except the release of the brakes in reverse. Any ideas on which terminal on the 6-way round plug the blue wire should be connected to?

Brian

6 pin diagram

Edited by edwin

Thanks Edwin. I believe I've tried the blue wire on the S terminal. I need to know which of the terminals does the reverse lights? With surge brakes, I don't believe hooking up the blue wire to the Electric brake terminal will help???

Anyone else???

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Brian

a six pin does not have a reverse circuit in it. You could add one in place of the electric brake or constant (+), but it would then only work with your boat trailer, and your boat trailer would only work with your truck, depending on how you did it.

If you're determined to use a 6-way (five around the edge, one in the middle), you could use a switch and relay on the constant (+) and use that as the trailer brake lockout, just activate it when you need to lock out the trailer brakes.

• 6 months later...
Is this a new problem? Sounds like the electronic lockout is not working. Make sure the fifth (back up lights, blue one I think) wire has a good connection. You can flip over the flat five connection and turn on your headlights. If that works it is the truck side back up lights connection.

not an expert but i had a similar problem recently.

I had the problem with the lights and found that the electronic connection actually went through the trailer, and found that it was shortening at the movable joint, where the pin is placed. I had the Malibu guys bypass it so my lights would stay on.

i have this problem on my 97 Chevy dually. ...but for some reason when you are headed downhill (bow of boat downhill not stern), and i try to backup (my launch ramp is a strange setup i know.)

anyways in that situation is always locks up.

...for now i just use packaging tape and taped my lockout key in place.

Had this problem with my former 2000 Supra on a BoatMate trailer. The actuator was the problem, but anyway while it was an issue I used the lock out key so I could back up. Rather than tape or something else I used a bar magnet to hold the key in place. I"d make sure the piston was all the way forward so the key would go in the slot no problem, then used the bar magnet to hold it in place. Worked like a charm and very simple to do. You just have to make sure you remove the key before going down the road with it, otherwise no brakes.

Ed