Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are You Responsible for Your Wake?

Tom Sawyer

Are You Responsible for Your Wake?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Scenario 1 - You go to your favorite cove to find that a dock has been installed and a boat is tied up there. You continue with your activity of choice. Even though the cove is NOT a no-wake cove, and you maintain a "Safe" distance from the dock, your wake rocks the boat and damages the gel coat

• You are responsible for the damage done to the boat.
    • You are not responsible for the damage done to the boat.
  2. 2. Scenario 2 - You go to your favorite cove to find two boats floating together. Once again, you continue with your activity of choice. Even though it is NOT a no-wake cove, and you stay a "Safe" distance from the other two boats, they bump together and are damaged.

• You are responsible for damage done to either or both boats
    • You are not responsible for damage done to either boat.

I saw it and I had the same thoughts. I am lucky so far I have never seen a wake surfer on my lake yet!!!!!

Why does that make you lucky?

Look at the photos of the wake on this thread. <a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=</a>

This is why wake enhancement will become an issue that our "good & helpful" folks in government will be looking at in future years.

That is not a wake. That is a WAVE Shocking.gif ....like the other posters stated.

I can't get over the fact that people buy a 60-80 thousand dollar boat to surf behind :Doh: . Move to the friggin' ocean peeps Tease2.gif .

Get over it. Should they buy one just for sking?

oh, I'm over it NOW. I just think it is HILARIOUS. Crazy.gif

I saw it and I had the same thoughts. I am lucky so far I have never seen a wake surfer on my lake yet!!!!!

I think he's lucky too. Whistling.gif Every time one goes by, my dock, which is 3 ft above the water, it gets a wave over the top of it because of their largely ENHANCED wakes. Thus soaking everyone and everything on it. It is the only time it happens.

LUCKILY, we only have a couple people that wake surf on our lake.

I think he's lucky too. Whistling.gif Every time one goes by, my dock, which is 3 ft above the water, it gets a wave over the top of it because of their largely ENHANCED wakes. Thus soaking everyone and everything on it. It is the only time it happens.

I have a largely ENHANCED wake and I'm proud of it! I have wakesurfed past many docks that are less than 3 ft. above the water and have never put a wake over the top of one and my boat makes the biggest "wave" I have seen in person yet. You make it sound like a tsunami hits your dock everytime someone is hanging loose going by your dock... From what I have witnessed it seems like the wakes coming off loaded boats pulling wakeboarders seem to hit the docks and shore harder than the slow rolling wakesurf waves.

Edited by KartRCR125

th_cry.jpg

Sounds like they are to close to shore. When we stand of the dock and the surfers go by at 10-11 MPH the wake is not any worse than wakeboarders going 23mph. In fact given the same distance from shore the wake from the wakeboarders seems to be more aggressive than the surfers.

Edited by DC-STRO
Look at the photos of the wake on this thread. <a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=</a>

This is why wake enhancement will become an issue that our "good & helpful" folks in government will be looking at in future years.

That is not a wake. That is a WAVE Shocking.gif ....like the other posters stated.

I can't get over the fact that people buy a 60-80 thousand dollar boat to surf behind :Doh: . Move to the friggin' ocean peeps Tease2.gif .

Get over it. Should they buy one just for sking?

oh, I'm over it NOW. I just think it is HILARIOUS. Crazy.gif

th_111px-Wtf.gif

I didn't read the entire thread, am not about to but surfing should absolutely be done in the middle of the lake, not in coves or around anything tied up.

I feel responsible for my wake potentially damaging docks or a shoreline, but not improperly tied up boats.

im a responsible boater but i dont feel responsible for my wake. dealing with jet skiers, tubers, wake boarders and there wakes is part of being at the lake.it just comes with the territory of boating.

As for people that live on the lake and have docks should know the risks before building on the water. not everyone can afford to live on the water, but if you do you just have to accept the fact that it is not just your lake but it is everybodys, and if you dont like it then you dont have to live there.

just my 2 cents

As for people that live on the lake and have docks should know the risks before building on the water.

Some of us built/bought on the lake 10-20 years before the advent of enhanced wakes. The seawall, the dock, the position of the house--all designed and built for conceivable circumstances. A boat weighted for surfing, running 150' out, would put a wave through my bedroom door. Literally.

Just my 20 million cents.

As for people that live on the lake and have docks should know the risks before building on the water.

Some of us built/bought on the lake 10-20 years before the advent of enhanced wakes. The seawall, the dock, the position of the house--all designed and built for conceivable circumstances. A boat weighted for surfing, running 150' out, would put a wave through my bedroom door. Literally.

Plus1.gif I put in a sea wall over 1 fot higher than I ever thought I would need. My boat lift and boat moved over 8 inches on the 4th weekend from wakes. 4500 lbs vertical lift with Rlxi in it. Boat over 1 foot out of water. I had to put a canvis down in the water from the lift cove just to keep the splash off the sea wall from filling the boat.

joey_durgin you sound like a very inconsiderate boater One that can give boating a bad name. "I'm a responsible boater" This may be your opinion. With your statement I hardley think so. Ranting.gif

Plus1.gif I put in a sea wall over 1 fot higher than I ever thought I would need. My boat lift and boat moved over 8 inches on the 4th weekend from wakes. 4500 lbs vertical lift with Rlxi in it. Boat over 1 foot out of water. I had to put a canvis down in the water from the lift cove just to keep the splash off the sea wall from filling the boat.

joey_durgin you sound like a very inconsiderate boater One that can give boating a bad name. "I'm a responsible boater" This may be your opinion. With your statement I hardley think so. Ranting.gif

hey, all i have is a 95 sunsetter and all i do is ski. therefore i like as little wake as possible. i am not the one out there that is trying to make the lake an ocean.

all i ws trying to say is if you dont like the wave s then you dont have to live on the water. waves are part of boating, there is no way around it. If people complain about it all the time then , rules will be put in to place and before you know it no one will lbe able to use the lakes

I am not expecting a calm and quiet lake it is a public lake. My thoughts are when we put the sea wall and worked on the lake front we had a cabin. this was about 15 years ago and we built for what we thought would be worst case. We only get waves 1 to 1 1/2 foot hi in the worst storms so the next thought is boats. at the time you only saw boats in the 15 to 22 foot range. Now boats on the lake are going into the hi 30 to low 40 foot range wake sports are growing and not the main cause of extreme waves. No the big boats are not the worst earthier. the worst are the boats that run just off plain

and as the lake gets crowed now the tubers are on top of the docks running at off plain speed as the water is so rough no one can run at normal speed and it gets so bad the waves just pound the property frontage it is insane. I would not even take my or any other kids or adults out on the lake for skiing tubbing or boarding because it is a ZOO and I don't trust A person in the water to bee seen. On most Bessy weekends we ski and do any other water sports before mid day than swim or sit and watch the show. If we take a boat out we go for parts of the lake not so crowed. I don't know if some of the people who reed this understand Michigan lakes but they can get very crowed on a good weekend. Michigan has the most registered boats of any state unless things have changed in the past couple of years. I am not upset with the lake being crowed it is more of the safety issue.

I love the lake and the show it provides. but to sit back and not except some responsibility for your actions is stupid. It sounds like most people on this site understand and I am guessing even some of the people who sound like they don't care have expressed them selves in a manner that make them sound worse than what it sounds. Ranting.gif

If people complain about it all the time then , rules will be put in to place and before you know it no one will lbe able to use the lakes

I agree with you 100%. And this is exactly why people should be considerate and responsible for the wake they create. :salute:

I said years ago that those who create large wakes (particularly in confined areas) will be responsible for legislation which will regulate the way in which we all use our boats.

I have a scenario from this last weekend that fits this thread. We were wake surfing out in the middle of a very large lake, the water was aready pretty rough from other boats and from the wind. a ski boat came along behind us pulling an obvious beginning skier behind. The ski boat crossed our wake (granted it was a VERY big wake) and the poor lady flew off of the top of one wake and into the middle of the next sending her flying head long out the front. We waited at a safe distance (we didn't want to be shot) to make sure that the lady was OK. They picked up the pieces and skied off in the other direction. I felt pretty guilty, even though we weren't messing up any good water. What do you think?

Joe

If you are in a cove and a boat is tied up and left then you are not responsible because they are not with their vessel and they should have bought a boat lift

If their are people already their and they are floating then it is your fault because they are in use of the cove and it irritates me when people are buzzing around me and making both mine and my uncles boat slap together

If you are in a cove and a boat is tied up and left then you are not responsible because they are not with their vessel and they should have bought a boat lift

If their are people already their and they are floating then it is your fault because they are in use of the cove and it irritates me when people are buzzing around me and making both mine and my uncles boat slap together

Combined these are two of the silliest pieces of logic I think I have ever heard.

I have a scenario from this last weekend that fits this thread. We were wake surfing out in the middle of a very large lake, the water was aready pretty rough from other boats and from the wind. a ski boat came along behind us pulling an obvious beginning skier behind. The ski boat crossed our wake (granted it was a VERY big wake) and the poor lady flew off of the top of one wake and into the middle of the next sending her flying head long out the front. We waited at a safe distance (we didn't want to be shot) to make sure that the lady was OK. They picked up the pieces and skied off in the other direction. I felt pretty guilty, even though we weren't messing up any good water. What do you think?

Joe

Since the other boat approached yours from behind, I believe that gives you the right of way. Seems like they could have passed over your wake long before they got right up on you, possibly when the wake was smaller....... or even turned around to go the other way.

The one that kills me is when we are riding counterclockwise around the lake, with the shore to our right. When we approach another boat head on, the rules say they are to pass on our left, so we stay to the right. But I can't tell you how many times we've had people stay on the our shore side & pass to our right, within 30 or 40 feet of the docks.

Clueless.

Combined these are two of the silliest pieces of logic I think I have ever heard.

ROFL.gif Just the first one is not only contrary to any nautical law, but just plain silly. Crazy.gif

Joe

Since the other boat approached yours from behind, I believe that gives you the right of way. Seems like they could have passed over your wake long before they got right up on you, possibly when the wake was smaller....... or even turned around to go the other way.

The one that kills me is when we are riding counterclockwise around the lake, with the shore to our right. When we approach another boat head on, the rules say they are to pass on our left, so we stay to the right. But I can't tell you how many times we've had people stay on the our shore side & pass to our right, within 30 or 40 feet of the docks.

Clueless.

Yes, that one gets me as well. Usually we try to hug the shore with the big wave to that side, that usually gives the others on the lake a break & we're not ever in an area where there are homes when we do that. I don't understand why people do that.

If you're not in a no wake zone, you shouldn't be responsible, from a safe distance, for the way people tie up there boat. They should be aware that it is not a no wake zone.

Agreed, If you don't know how to protect your boat from wakes from a passing boat you will end up with the same damage on a windy day.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a cabin on Table Rock Lake, and over the weekend I watched a loaded down Mastercraft X-30 pulling a wakeboarder within 50 feet of our community dock. We had just pulled our boat onto the lift, and the dock was rocking so much I had a hard time walking around the boat to put the cover on. Actually, I quit trying to put the cover on for fear of personal injury. Now, this is a dock with 20 slips and we are in the middle of one side, which I thought would offer us the most protection from wakes while also giving us clearance from the shore and shallow water.

But, this boat kept driving back and forth in front of our dock. Obviously, Joe Cool (the driver) didn't care what he was going on. Despite believing that people have the right to public water, I wound up walking (slowly) to the end of the dock and waving them off for fear of damage to the dock and/or boats and lifts. Well, they laughed, flipped me off, yelled at me, and left to terrorize somebody else.

In hindsight, I wonder if I did the right thing. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

We have a cabin on Table Rock Lake, and over the weekend I watched a loaded down Mastercraft X-30 pulling a wakeboarder within 50 feet of our community dock. We had just pulled our boat onto the lift, and the dock was rocking so much I had a hard time walking around the boat to put the cover on. Actually, I quit trying to put the cover on for fear of personal injury. Now, this is a dock with 20 slips and we are in the middle of one side, which I thought would offer us the most protection from wakes while also giving us clearance from the shore and shallow water.

But, this boat kept driving back and forth in front of our dock. Obviously, Joe Cool (the driver) didn't care what he was going on. Despite believing that people have the right to public water, I wound up walking (slowly) to the end of the dock and waving them off for fear of damage to the dock and/or boats and lifts. Well, they laughed, flipped me off, yelled at me, and left to terrorize somebody else.

In hindsight, I wonder if I did the right thing. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Was the boat 50' or the wakeboarder with in 50'? How much worse would the waves be if the boat was 100' from your dock? An X-30 is comparable to a 23'LSV. I wouldn't consider that outrageous. It sounds to me like you have an inadequate dock arrangement. After all you couldn't put the cover on for fear of personal injury. You better stay of the dock if the winds exceed 40 mph.

Was the boat 50' or the wakeboarder with in 50'? How much worse would the waves be if the boat was 100' from your dock? An X-30 is comparable to a 23'LSV. I wouldn't consider that outrageous. It sounds to me like you have an inadequate dock arrangement. After all you couldn't put the cover on for fear of personal injury. You better stay of the dock if the winds exceed 40 mph.

It was the boat that was about 50' off the end of the dock. If it was 100' off the dock, I suppose the wake wouldn't be quite as bad, but I would imagine it would still "rock the dock" so to speak. The dock itself is about 2 years old and like all docks around here, it floats on encapsulated foam. I don't really understand your comparison to a 40mph wind, but trust me on this one - it was difficult to stand next to our lift while they were both pitching and rolling. Listen, I am not trying to be a smart a**, just relating what happened,

It was the boat that was about 50' off the end of the dock. If it was 100' off the dock, I suppose the wake wouldn't be quite as bad, but I would imagine it would still "rock the dock" so to speak. The dock itself is about 2 years old and like all docks around here, it floats on encapsulated foam. I don't really understand your comparison to a 40mph wind, but trust me on this one - it was difficult to stand next to our lift while they were both pitching and rolling. Listen, I am not trying to be a smart a**, just relating what happened,

My comparison is that on a windy day the waves could equal that of a boat thus resulting in the same scenario. I never thought for a second you were being a smart a**. If the guy pulling the boarder was 50' from the dock he is a total dip-s*** and probably not a terrorist.