Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are You Responsible for Your Wake?

Tom Sawyer

Are You Responsible for Your Wake?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Scenario 1 - You go to your favorite cove to find that a dock has been installed and a boat is tied up there. You continue with your activity of choice. Even though the cove is NOT a no-wake cove, and you maintain a "Safe" distance from the dock, your wake rocks the boat and damages the gel coat

• You are responsible for the damage done to the boat.
    • You are not responsible for the damage done to the boat.
  2. 2. Scenario 2 - You go to your favorite cove to find two boats floating together. Once again, you continue with your activity of choice. Even though it is NOT a no-wake cove, and you stay a "Safe" distance from the other two boats, they bump together and are damaged.

• You are responsible for damage done to either or both boats
    • You are not responsible for damage done to either boat.

Maybe I am in the minority here but I think that if you are going to use ballast, wedges etc to creat artificially large boat wakes you need to be responsible for what affect they have around you including other boats, shorelines, docks etc.

Maybe I am in the minority here but I think that if you are going to use ballast, wedges etc to creat artificially large boat wakes you need to be responsible for what affect they have around you including other boats, shorelines, docks etc.

You might be in the minority but you're not alone. No.gif I'm right there with you brother. Although taking responsibility for the problems that one creates isn't a very popular concept in America today, redirecting blame is much more en vogue.

You might be in the minority but you're not alone. No.gif I'm right there with you brother. Although taking responsibility for the problems that one creates isn't a very popular concept in America today, redirecting blame is much more en vogue.

Are you guys saying that someone who is using a wake enhancing device is responsible, but not someone who isn't?

Activities towed behind a Rlx or Sportster such as trick skiing or pulling young children will create wakes large enough to draw the ire of other boaters.

I voted no on both occasions. main reason: I don't throw a big wake. I ski mainly, and if I was running at wake speeds and had some people in the boat, I dont see how I should be held accountable for people not tying up their boats properly because I would be at least 100yards away and its an area where there is no speed limit. If you were being somewhat negligent than if it was my boat that was damaged I'd be pretty pissed; but still how are you going to get someone to pay for damage? if 2 boats are tied up together they should have proper fenders in place. if its on the dock it should have proper fenders/whips as well.

This scenario could easily change though. I have mooring whips on my dock because of the weather mainly, but also because of bone heads that drive to close to shore and at an improper speed (causing massive wake). my boat has been damaged by waves and it pisses me off, but I'm helpless in the situation...

in ontario you would not be held responsible unless there was intent...

Are you guys saying that someone who is using a wake enhancing device is responsible, but not someone who isn't?

Maybe. Crazy.gif

j/k No, that's not it, exactly.

Let me put it in the context of our lake. Our lake is a water level controlled lake so most lakefront owners built rigid docks 8-10 inches above water level. That puts the top surface of the docks ~14-16" above water level. My Sporty can't thow a big enough wake to be a problem (no wedge, no ballast) unless the dock owner was negligent in how he/she secured his/her boat to the dock. But take a V-drive, add ballast, and you're washing patio furniture off of docks. This is a special case where enhanced wakes do cause serious problems. The docks were built with "normal" wakes in mind.

Every situation is different and there is not one stock answer but I would say that if I take my boat out, without modification, the wakes that it generates should be viewed as "normal", assuming that I am not operating in a negligent manner, and the wake in and of itself should not expose me to liability. However, if I took a V-Drive, put 750#'s on each side in the rear, 500#'s in the middle, 500#'s in the bow, deployed the wedge,...then that wake is no longer a "normal" wake and would generate liability for damages that it causes. Then again...I'm no lawyer...WTH do I know... Dontknow.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu
Then again...WTH do I know... Dontknow.gif

Well, usually I'd have quite a retort to that comment. But in this case, you seem to make sense. Dontknow.gif

Well, usually I'd have quite a retort to that comment. But in this case, you seem to make sense.

I can't believe you actually let that softball go by. :lol: I was fully expecting a shot from you. Yes.gif

What happened? You go on vacation and come back nice? Crazy.gif

Well, usually I'd have quite a retort to that comment. But in this case, you seem to make sense.

I can't believe you actually let that softball go by. :lol: I was fully expecting a shot from you. Yes.gif

What happened? You go on vacation and come back nice? Crazy.gif

Nahhh. I tend to respect reasonable thoughts and opinions. Even if they come from an unreasonable idiot. Biggrin.gif

Activities towed behind a Rlx or Sportster such as trick skiing or pulling young children will create wakes large enough to draw the ire of other boaters.

Nope I think you are always responsible for the effect your wakes have on the boats and shorelines around you. I do think that the boats that can create massive wakes are more of an issue than your traditional ski boats but I am responsible for the impact my wakes have.

The results of the poll do concern me though. There are a large numbers of people that don't seem to feel like they have responsibility for the wakes of their boats.

Edited by Chef23

Nope I think you are always responsible for the effect your wakes have on the boats and shorelines around you. I do think that the boats that can create massive wakes are more of an issue than your traditional ski boats but I am responsible for the impact my wakes have.

The results of the pole do concern me though. There are a large numbers of people that don't seem to feel like they have responsibility for the wakes of their boats.

I have to somewhat disagree with the boats that can make larger wakes not being more of an issue comment. If that was the case, then every time one of these wakeboard boats go by wakesufing with full ballast etc, why does my dock get soaked as the waves crash over the top of it. A ski boat goes by and the waves travel nicely under my dock like normal.

I have to say that artificially increasing the size of the wake that a boat puts out SHOULD bear more responsibility than non-enhanced wakes. To me it is the same as altering your exhaust to be louder on a boat which is illegal in my state as it is a nuisance.

It's all a fine line, but this appears to have been a great discussion overall.

The results of the pole do concern me though. There are a large numbers of people that don't seem to feel like they have responsibility for the wakes of their boats.

I have to somewhat disagree with the boats that can make larger wakes not being more of an issue comment. If that was the case, then every time one of these wakeboard boats go by wakesufing with full ballast etc, why does my dock get soaked as the waves crash over the top of it. A ski boat goes by and the waves travel nicely under my dock like normal.

I have to say that artificially increasing the size of the wake that a boat puts out SHOULD bear more responsibility than non-enhanced wakes. To me it is the same as altering your exhaust to be louder on a boat which is illegal in my state as it is a nuisance.

It's all a fine line, but this appears to have been a great discussion overall.

That is an excellent point. I was just trying to make sure that people understood that I feel responsible for my wake even though it is just a ski boat. Your point is a case where an enhanced wake does cause issues that a regular ski boat doesn't so it should bring extra care and responsibility with it.

My mama used to say "stupid is as stupid does"....or something like that anyway. If you secure your boat, YOU are responsible for any damage done because you did not properly account for the conditions you were likely to run into. This includes weather or others playing in an area obviously not marked for no-wake. Our wakes can easily do damage a fair distance away...so if I'm securing my boat, I'm prepared for bad conditions AND waves created by other people playing. Also, how can I be the person to DICTATE the use of that cove by the way I secure my boat.

All that said, still be as courteous as possible and recognize when someone has done something stupid like that...just be a nice person and think ahead. But if the unfortunate happens, it is the responsiblity of the people with the secured boat to do it properly.

IN MY OPINION ANYWAY....! :blush:

Edited by SC Fam

This thread is a long one and just came across it now, but have some concerns.

We have a unique situation and boat wake is a problem for our dock. We have our dock location

at the end point of a narrow channel. The local community has put up a sign saying:

"Caution, narrow channel, watch for boat congestion."

The main problem is that people tend to slow down to go through the channel.

Its actuall big enough to drive full speed through it, but of course, it makes sense to

slow down for safety.

Having said that, what most people do is slow down to half wake, like about 15mph.

Thus, their boat planes with the bow pointed up and they throw the biggest wake the boat

could possibly make.

Since we're at the end of the channel, our dock, boat, and shore line constanly gets hammered

by the biggest wakes thrown by the boats.

I'd rather see people race through it, or go at idle, then the wakes are smaller.

But I still want things to be safe.

What can I do?

I'd love to put up a sign saying "no wake zone", but its a public lake and I probably have no right to do so.

Its so annoying to see the weekend boaters come out, slow down and plow, thinking they're are going slower

to be more careful (can't blame them) but their wake thrown is huge, and our shoreline and dock is continously smashed.

Anyone else have a similiar situation? What can I do?

Thanks!

Well after this week end of heavy boat traffic on our lake and Marney boats traveling at a slower speed ( Making even bigger wakes ) the wakes have moved my boat lift with the boat in it about 8 inches. This is a first for me I never have seen the boat lift move in over 10 years. I am guessing the wakes are pounding on the boat haul enough to move the lift. I have the boat lifted as hi as I can and it is a foot and a half out of the water. Dontknow.gif

I saw it and I had the same thoughts. I am lucky so far I have never seen a wake surfer on my lake yet!!!!!

I am very thankful that a boat much bigger than a Response won't fit onto my lake.

I think that most of you guys that don't like that wouldn't like being on the lakes that I typically frequent anyway. Unless it's early or late, it's usually either blown out or crapped out because of tubers & jetskis (or both). Surfing is about the only other thing that you can do in that anyway, unless you have a foil.

Look at the photos of the wake on this thread. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=

This is why wake enhancement will become an issue that our "good & helpful" folks in government will be looking at in future years.

That is not a wake. That is a WAVE Shocking.gif ....like the other posters stated.

I can't get over the fact that people buy a 60-80 thousand dollar boat to surf behind :Doh: . Move to the friggin' ocean peeps Tease2.gif .

Look at the photos of the wake on this thread. <a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....c=15979&hl=</a>

This is why wake enhancement will become an issue that our "good & helpful" folks in government will be looking at in future years.

That is not a wake. That is a WAVE Shocking.gif ....like the other posters stated.

I can't get over the fact that people buy a 60-80 thousand dollar boat to surf behind :Doh: . Move to the friggin' ocean peeps Tease2.gif .

Get over it. Should they buy one just for sking?